Author Topic: Rep Duncan Hunter overdraws his bank account more than 1,100 times over 7 years.  (Read 9283 times)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
Just wondering if Hunter is an Evangelical.  I've noticed many Evangelicals believe the "Prosperity Gospel", which preaches earthly riches are a sign of God's favor.  I've also noticed that these believers tend to engage in conspicuous consumption and frequently live beyond their means.  An example - I was behind a woman in traffic yesterday who was driving a very expensive sedan.  Her "In God We Trust" vanity plates read "BLEYST".  I guess she didn't want anyone to have any doubts that God likes her best.

So no reference to having His one and only begotten son living in poverty and nailed to a cross?

I think they think he did that so they could have that BMW.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Great that the esteemed representatives have enough time to spend all that money. Can't have them locked away in Congress legislating and doing the actual business of government ohhh no. They need their 5 days a week off to play golf and listen/laugh with their lobbyists concerned constituents.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Duncan Hunter and his family has lived with his father (the original Congressman Duncan Hunter) for the past several years.  He had to sell his house and move there when the original story broke about misusing campaign funds broke.  He had to borrow 65K to pay back the most obvious personal transactions (e.g., school fees, shipping the family bunny, etc).

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
My understanding is that former Congressmen can triple their incomes relatively easily when they leave public service and become lobbyists. Hard to imagine why these debts would be a problem if Mr. Hunter could just have a few years at $500,000/yr.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
He bought some shorts at a golf shop and tried to say they were golf balls for the wounded warriors? What the heck? In any large company you have to have an itemized receipt to submit an expense. And you would probably get fired for too many expense violations.
I wonder how pissed off his campaign donors are?

They probably don't care.  It's likely that most of his donors are businesses and PACs (this is true of most in Congress).

As long as he votes the way they want him to vote, they don't care what he does with the money.

Most members of Congress, who, due to Gerrymandering, are stone cold locks to win every election, still get hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign donations, even if they have no opponent (or maybe just a Libertarian Party opponent or a token major party opponent).  Those donations are to get the member of Congress to vote a certain way, not to get him elected- they are guaranteed to be re-elected.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
My understanding is that former Congressmen can triple their incomes relatively easily when they leave public service and become lobbyists. Hard to imagine why these debts would be a problem if Mr. Hunter could just have a few years at $500,000/yr.

But then his spending would be in the $1.5M range... I don't think he has "seen the light" yet.