Author Topic: Irony: sprinkler maintenance when your water is being turned off  (Read 2851 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
I am beyond annoyed today. I'm currently visiting my mother, whom I love, and staying in her half million dollar home (in a LCOL area, small midwestern town). She's had financial problems for years, despite her assurances that it's improving and she's digging out. She was telling me yesterday how much less she's spending and doing better (examples were no longer spending $200/mo on her nails and $240/mo on her nails)  and honestly she's made some progress (not enough).

Today I wake up to construction sounds and call her, she's tells me the in ground sprinkler sare being fixed. Ok. I workout and go to take a shower...no water. I go out and ask the workmen if they shut it off and they say no the city was out and turned off theirs and another neighbor's (seriously in a neighborhood of very pricey homes).

I call her.... yeah she didn't pay the bill.

Thank God I take after my dad when it comes to money.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Irony: sprinkler maintenance when your water is being turned off
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:04:39 AM »
This has to go in the Hall of
Fame forum. Do we have one?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
I am beyond annoyed today. I'm currently visiting my mother, whom I love, and staying in her half million dollar home (in a LCOL area, small midwestern town). She's had financial problems for years, despite her assurances that it's improving and she's digging out. She was telling me yesterday how much less she's spending and doing better (examples were no longer spending $200/mo on her nails and $240/mo on her nails)  and honestly she's made some progress (not enough).

Today I wake up to construction sounds and call her, she's tells me the in ground sprinkler sare being fixed. Ok. I workout and go to take a shower...no water. I go out and ask the workmen if they shut it off and they say no the city was out and turned off theirs and another neighbor's (seriously in a neighborhood of very pricey homes).

I call her.... yeah she didn't pay the bill.

Thank God I take after my dad when it comes to money.

Wow, that's sad.  Did she not have the money or does she just let bills go unpaid on a regular basis?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
Kind of a mix tbh. She's definitely over extended, for example sure told me she was behind on her house payment but there water bill was only $144 which I'm sure she could swing.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:04:00 AM »
Time for a financial heart to heart?

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »
What gets me is... Another house too??
At the same time?
Is this that common?

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »
Yeah this one's an all-time blunder.

Can she not sell the house and move literally anywhere else?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 11:12:17 PM »
Time for a financial heart to heart?

Trust me it's happened. At this point I've given up and told her not to ask me for any money.
Her only potential saving grace is my thrifty, business minded grandpa is still alive and will likely leave her a tidy inheritance.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 11:16:10 PM »
Yeah this one's an all-time blunder.

Can she not sell the house and move literally anywhere else?

I suggested it, many times, trust me. She put the house on the market for a while like two years ago but it didn't sell and frankly she didn't really want it to, it was listed at 525k, which was probably too high. She talks about "giving up her house"....it wreaks of baby boomer entitlement.

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 12:56:56 AM »
When sherefers to HER HOUSE you could innocently mention that it just as well belongs to the bank (if still financed) or to the city (if taxes unpaid).