Author Topic: Rented a Maserati, can't go to prom  (Read 6079 times)

Stimpy

• Bristles
Re: Rented a Maserati, can't go to prom
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »
Well that is shitty.   Prom is (usually) a highlight for many students.  Limiting it and knowing students will pay or have paid big bucks already is crappy.  The entire school should just say hell no and raid a local YMCA or something like that!

That being said, I agree the shit people rent/buy for their prom is absolutely insane!. 

I think I spent maybe $200 back in the day and that was With dinner and tickets for then venue,

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:34:40 PM »
Kinda shitty by the school...

... but on the other hand, if people weren't hyping themselves up for a fairly meaningless event, there wouldn't be any disappointment.

Then again, I'm kind of a grinch who thinks childhood should be for learning how to be adults, not repositories for Disney World memories, trips to Europe, and spring breaks in Mexico, only to lead to a crisis in their 20s when they have to find out life isn't all fun and games financed by parents.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 03:59:32 PM »
Is the graduating class so exceptionally large that it's impossible to find a venue big enough to accommodate them all? I fail to see how, for $90 a head, it should be so difficult to find a high school gymnasium, buy some decorations, set up a buffet line if they plan to feed the kids, and hire a DJ and a light set... particularly since the school already has a gymnasium and doesn't need to rent one. It probably won't be the opulent Insta-Crap worthy spend-fest people seem to expect, yet it can still be a memorable night with friends.

$1k on a prom is absolutely asinine; how can a teenager rent a Maserati in the first place? Most car rental companies won't rent so much as a Chevrolet hatchback to anyone under the age of 25. Somewhere, a parent was most likely involved in this nonsense.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 06:56:35 AM »
Saw Orlando, remembered an old conversation.

Grad school TA would have a different car every week. I asked him what's the deal? His uncle had a limo and luxury car rental company in Orlando, so nephew was "testing" them during the week, putting in 100-150 miles.

He said the demand on these rides was crazy on weekends and most weeks too by tourists; the entire fleet would be rented out nearly every Fri-Sat. Hummer limo, booked out for 3-4 months. Proms were crazy biz, every 17-18 yo trying to out-do his competition to woo his girl. Automotive peacock-ing.

Customers would insult his immigrant uncle, he'd refuse to rent, then jack up the price, and they'd still rent it. Crazy times. The parents were crazier, living their unfulfilled desires through their kids. This was the early 2000s. Must be crazier now.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »
Maseratis are shit cars. They are dressed up Chryslers. A Maserati is the type of car that a poor person thinks a rich person drives.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 07:25:52 AM »
I never understood prom. I went to mine, but it was stupid and we left about half an hour. The best part of prom was going out to eat with friends before hand, and then staying out all night with friends afterwards.

Take the Maserati and have an amazing dinner in fancy dresses, then go hang out in a hotel room pretending to be adults.  Skip the shitty dance in between

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 08:05:01 AM »
I like what my area does for Senior "Post" Prom. They rent out the largest hall in the county, and the entire county is invited to attend. For the arrival, it is timed, by school. You are driven to the entrance, introduced, and you walk a red carpet up to the entry to the venue. Parents and family are encouraged to attend, be the "paparazzi", and then leave. A local TV station broadcasts the event, complete with interviews of some of the seniors. It is all very Oscar night like. The year my daughter went, there were 1500 in attendance from 9 area schools. My daughter's school treated it like senior prom, but other schools also had their own.

Tickets are $35 each. Yes, there were many that spent a lot on other things, but my daughter found a great dress, got alterations for a song, and went out for dinner before. They had a great time, and for what she got, I thought the cost was very reasonable.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:11:06 AM »
While it is pretty ridiculous how much is spent on prom, I still think it's bullshit that the school can't accommodate the whole class, or that a ticket doesn't come with a plus one so you can bring your date. Prom is something I looked forward to and still have good memories of, and especially if the kids were able reserve tickets before and are now being waitlisted, it's pretty bullshit. Find a bigger venue, it's not that hard.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
While it is pretty ridiculous how much is spent on prom, I still think it's bullshit that the school can't accommodate the whole class, or that a ticket doesn't come with a plus one so you can bring your date. Prom is something I looked forward to and still have good memories of, and especially if the kids were able reserve tickets before and are now being waitlisted, it's pretty bullshit. Find a bigger venue, it's not that hard.

This. I had a blast at my prom. It's a great high school memory. That's pretty shitty of the school/senior class not to choose a venue that can accommodate everyone.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
Maseratis are shit cars. They are dressed up Chryslers. A Maserati is the type of car that a poor person thinks a rich person drives.

If you don't like Italian quality they may be shit cars. However, Maserati is owned by Fiat (since 1993). Fiat purchased Chrysler in 2011.

To put it another way, where can I find a Chrysler Levante?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 11:06:32 AM »

I will agree with you that this is shitty all around. Prom should accomodate everyone.

I've never heard of a ticket including a +1, and I've worked in 15 school districts in 4 states.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »
I've never heard of a ticket including a +1, and I've worked in 15 school districts in 4 states.

Mine did, but that was in 1996. Now, kids seem more likely to go in big groups of friends whereas in my class, no one would have dared attend any semi-formal or formal dance without a date. That's probably why single prom tickets are sold now.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »

I agree.  I mean, you paid for a ticket to go you should be able to go.  Of course this is Florida though, where if there's a way to fuck something up we'll do it in spectacular fashion. 

I hope they do decide to try and find a venue that will accommodate all of the kids, though with it being this late in the game and other schools having their proms I'm sure larger ones are going to be hard to find, if not impossible, even if they do make the effort.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »

Mine did, but that was in 1996. Now, kids seem more likely to go in big groups of friends whereas in my class, no one would have dared attend any semi-formal or formal dance without a date. That's probably why single prom tickets are sold now.

Wow, that puts a lot of pressure on one half of the couple to pay for the ticket too.  Hmmm...wonder which half it generally ends up being.

I went with a date (in 2000), but we each bought our own ticket.  (I remember he was so surprised I even asked him that he thought I was joking. That was fun...  Maybe another part of the reason prom sucked. LOL)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »

Wow, that puts a lot of pressure on one half of the couple to pay for the ticket too.  Hmmm...wonder which half it generally ends up being.

I went with a date (in 2000), but we each bought our own ticket.  (I remember he was so surprised I even asked him that he thought I was joking. That was fun...  Maybe another part of the reason prom sucked. LOL)
My prom tickets weren't sold with +1's but there was a discount for buying two tickets together. I went with 2 friends and they wouldn't give us discounts, even on 2 of the tickets, which bugged me at the time. I think in this case, it just doesn't make sense to waitlist one person in the relationship, since it sucks for both of them, rather than letting one pair go and waitlisting another pair. But the whole thing is a giant screw up anyway, so I guess that's to be expected.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »

I don't see why pairs couldn't have split the cost if they wanted. My then-boyfriend bought our ticket but then, his tux rental was less expensive than my dress.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 04:28:20 AM »

If you don't like Italian quality they may be shit cars. However, Maserati is owned by Fiat (since 1993). Fiat purchased Chrysler in 2011.

It's not Italian quality. Most of the interior and all the tech/infotainment is shared with Chrysler. The only Italian parts are the engine (if you get the good, non-diesel engine), the body panels and the leather (if you get the good leather). If you were insistent on a luxury SUV I'd recommend the Cayenne - so much better value.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »
While spending $1,000 on prom is stupid, picking a venue that can't hold your senior class is also really stupid on the school's part. A high school gym would be fine. You have one of those right?

When I hear Italian quality I think Ferrarri.... not Fiat. Fiat and it's subsidiaries(like Chrysler) are often ranked at the very bottom of consumer reports reliability rankings. I think shit cars is a safe statement for both companies, so does it matter if it's a dressed up Fiat or a dressed up Chrysler?

I didn't know Maserati was owned by Fiat. Now that I do I have already made the mental shift that they are all crap compared to a Lexus. Not that I would buy any of these vehicles. I'm sticking to small Toyotas.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 01:17:10 PM »

It's not Italian quality. Most of the interior and all the tech/infotainment is shared with Chrysler. The only Italian parts are the engine (if you get the good, non-diesel engine), the body panels and the leather (if you get the good leather). If you were insistent on a luxury SUV I'd recommend the Cayenne - so much better value.

+1 on the relatively low quality of Maseratis. I drove a Levante as a loaner car last year (dealer was obviously hoping for a trade-up) and it was underwhelming. Taking some pictures with the trident to taunt people was the best part.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »
Are proms really held in high school gyms? I thought that was a TV movie thing. I've never heard of that.

I certainly wouldn't pay to go to a prom in a gym! Middle school dances were in gyms...for like $5.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 03:48:08 PM »
My eldest's high school has a commons area that encompasses a big cafeteria, a gymnasium and a mall like two story area, and the stage/auditorium.

That school throws a heck of a prom. They decorate the place from the ceiling to the floor, doesn't even look like the school anymore. They add lighting and a DJ. Food and refreshments are served. And - they lock the kids into the school overnight.

They have dancing, games, raffles, video games, etc. Everyone seems to be very impressed with that event.

This is in a little country town in flyover country. The kids go to dinner, some in a borrowed nicer car from Mom and Dad (or Grandma and Grandad), rent a tux or buy a party dress.

Its one of the things this town gets right.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 04:53:00 PM »
Are proms really held in high school gyms? I thought that was a TV movie thing. I've never heard of that.

I certainly wouldn't pay to go to a prom in a gym! Middle school dances were in gyms...for like $5.

Mine wasn't. It was in the ballroom of a somewhat fancy local hotel. We had wanted to hold it at the Roostertail in Detroit, but the school board wanted us within our suburb's city limits.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 07:21:36 AM »

Junior year was at a gym in a nearby church.  Senior year was at a resaurant/wedding venue thing.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 02:15:46 PM »
So they continued to sell $90 non-refundable prom tickets online knowing full well they wouldn't be able to honor the ticket? Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about reserving a rental car.

https://youtu.be/4T2GmGSNvaM

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 09:26:24 AM »

I'm sorry, what makes a car? Is it the chassis, engine, transmission and suspension? Or is it the infotainment?

According to ars technica the only Chrysler in the Levante is the steering wheel and infotainment.

Obviously, Italian quality was sarcasm. You won't see me buying any Italian cars, Fiat, Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or otherwise.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »
My high school used more than one room. The gym was for the band and dancing, the commons to sit and talk and they showed a movie in the auditorium. Everything was decorated by the students during the day and that was fun to party in. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »

When I hear Italian quality I think Ferrarri.... not Fiat. Fiat and it's subsidiaries(like Chrysler) are often ranked at the very bottom of consumer reports reliability rankings. I think shit cars is a safe statement for both companies, so does it matter if it's a dressed up Fiat or a dressed up Chrysler?

I didn't know Maserati was owned by Fiat. Now that I do I have already made the mental shift that they are all crap compared to a Lexus. Not that I would buy any of these vehicles. I'm sticking to small Toyotas.

Fiat owned Ferrari from 1969 to 2016. Maserati has shared engines with Ferrari.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »

Yes, the Levante has a Ferrari V8.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »
My prom was in the high school gym. But then again my graduation ceremony was also in the same gym and my senior class had 80 people in it. Since moving to a big city I’ve learned that the high school gyms aren’t used for these things because the senior classes are so big they can’t all fit in there. All of the high schools do their proms in fancy venues and their graduations in college arenas, because there are too many students.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
My prom was in the high school gym. But then again my graduation ceremony was also in the same gym and my senior class had 80 people in it. Since moving to a big city I’ve learned that the high school gyms aren’t used for these things because the senior classes are so big they can’t all fit in there. All of the high schools do their proms in fancy venues and their graduations in college arenas, because there are too many students.

Pretty much. My senior class had 260 students, and we were the smallest of the three public high schools in my hometown.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »

Pretty much. My senior class had 260 students, and we were the smallest of the three public high schools in my hometown.

I graduated with 400. We were not the largest high school in my city.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »

I graduated with 400. We were not the largest high school in my city.
Same. 510 graduating class. Middle of the pack for a city with 6 high schools.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 09:51:32 AM »

Yes, the Levante has a Ferrari V8.
Not exactly. Differences that lead to more power in the Ferrari variant of the F154.
Close enough from my POV.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F154_engine

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 10:27:22 AM »
Not exactly. Differences that lead to more power in the Ferrari variant of the F154.
Close enough from my POV.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F154_engine

EDIT - sorry, your were probably responding to Indexer. You are correct, they don't exactly "share an engine." My original response is as follows:

Yes, exactly. I never said that the engine was identical in all applications. I said that it was a Ferrari engine. It was designed and manufactured by Ferrari. Not all Ford V8s are identical (lots of differences in torque vs hp in various applications), but they are still Ford V8s, because Ford designed and built them.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:30:56 AM by PDXTabs »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »

Yes, Yes they are.

I think that both of mine were.  Or maybe one of them?  To be honest, I'm so damned old now I cannot actually remember.  I do remember it wasn't a huge deal though.  >30 years ago.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 02:51:23 PM »
My prom was in the gym 11 years ago. Tickets weren't that expensive though - maybe $25 each? Half of the gym was a dance floor and the other half was set up with tables for the meal they served. I know some people spent a ton of money on fancy hair, makeup, $200 dress, etc. but I didn't. My grandma and I made my dress, I did my own hair and makeup using stuff I already had, and my dad let me borrow his car to drive (a kia sedan) since it was a little nicer than mine. It was still fun to get all dolled up and be allowed to stay out late. Our after-prom party was sponsored by the teachers so it was free and it was held at a local bowling alley with teachers there as chaperones. A lot of people skipped that and went out to drink at "private" parties but I had fun at the bowling alley until it closed at 1 and then went home. 

I Want to Believe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »
While spending $1,000 on prom is stupid, picking a venue that can't hold your senior class is also really stupid on the school's part. A high school gym would be fine. You have one of those right?

Since Alfa Romeo is also owned by the same group, the reputation for (un)reliability is well deserved.

Although according to this report,

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2018-what-car-reliability-survey/n17810,

a <4yr old Alfa Giulia models are more reliable than same age Mercs and Beemers in the executive car range.