Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3482656 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #5500 on: October 31, 2019, 05:40:27 AM »
Relative found an old $20 bill and got all excited because "it's worth $35 in today's money".

Here4theGB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5501 on: October 31, 2019, 07:23:00 AM »
Relative found an old $20 bill and got all excited because "it's worth $35 in today's money".
lol wtf

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5502 on: October 31, 2019, 08:27:26 AM »
Maybe it is so old it is a collector's item?

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #5503 on: October 31, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »
lol wtf
Awww.  I think the person just got confused about inflation.   That found money is worth *less* today than the day you lost it.  But I sympathize with trying to make a clever comment on the fly and end up sounding confused and uninformed.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5504 on: October 31, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
lol wtf
Awww.  I think the person just got confused about inflation.   That found money is worth *less* today than the day you lost it.  But I sympathize with trying to make a clever comment on the fly and end up sounding confused and uninformed.

In other words, “Awww, bless their heart...”

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5505 on: November 01, 2019, 04:50:58 AM »
I went to a Halloween party that is a long-standing tradition for us.  This is a gathering that I've been going to since maybe middle school, so most of the people there might as well be family.  Talking to the host's son.  He's just lost his job and is cashing out his 401k.  He knows it's a bad idea, but "needs the money."  Dude has lived at home with his mom and dad since college graduation (he is a nearly full-time caregiver for them at this point, but it hasn't always been this way).  Said that he'd been making $17/hr, but is only getting ~$20k from the cashed out retirement plan.  At least he knows that there are going to be taxes and penalties associated with this withdrawal and won't be surprised at tax time.

At the same party, my BFF mentioned that she is borrowing from her kids' college funds to pay for the heated pool she's putting in.  She received at least $500k from a life insurance when her husband died two years ago.  Her theory is that "there's no point in saving for retirement when you could die tomorrow."  Grief spending or not, that's ridiculous.  I didn't ask, but I so hope that at least some of that money is just tied up somehow where she can't get to it all (this has become my plan for my life insurance policy since I could definitely see anyone who would end up with my son doing the same thing). 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5506 on: November 01, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »
#1 I can give a pass - wasn't making much in the first place, probably stressed as hell taking of parents, understands the consequences. Obviously not great, but understandable.

#2 not so much - borrowing from kid's college fund to put in a pool is just . . . no.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5507 on: November 01, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »
#2 not so much - borrowing from kid's college fund to put in a pool is just . . . no.

Well, also, as parents, my husband and I have life insurance so that if either of us die before being FI:
- there's enough money for interest income to replace lost income from the dead parent
- pay off the house, ensure stability for the children
- afford caretaking that's suddenly needed by being a single parent to 3 small kids
- afford any therapy or help the kids need to deal with it
- surviving parent can take time off work if needed to deal with their grief and also help the kids process theirs
- college funds, healthcare expenses, etc - set the kids up to be ok in your absence

In NO WAY is there life insurance to splash out for 2 years and get heated pools and nice cars.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5508 on: November 01, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »

Well, also, as parents, my husband and I have life insurance so that if either of us die before being FI:
- there's enough money for interest income to replace lost income from the dead parent
- afford caretaking that's suddenly needed by being a single parent to 3 small kids
- surviving parent can take time off work if needed to deal with their grief and also help the kids process theirs
- college funds, healthcare expenses, etc - set the kids up to be ok in your absence

In NO WAY is there life insurance to splash out for 2 years and get heated pools and nice cars.

This is where I'm at.  He would be furious at some of these things.  He was a semi-rabid Dave Ramsey fan.  Unfortunately, I can see that there are going to be bigger issues down the road with his family down the road.  The six year-old is the late husband's biological daughter.  The 15 year-old isn't.  And while he never made that distinction, his family has a tendency to at times.  So it's going to be really, really ugly if the oldest daughter gets college paid for and the money runs out before the youngest graduates HS. 

As it stands right now, I could definitely see my husband or my parents blowing through a lot of money in a short amount of time if I died.  Maybe not to this extent, but (with my parents) my kid would end up taking a lot of cruises with them.  This has definitely been an eye-opening experience for me in regards to how I need to set things up with my own insurance.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:38:41 AM by Sugaree »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5509 on: November 01, 2019, 09:44:19 AM »

This is where I'm at.  He would be furious at some of these things.  He was a semi-rabid Dave Ramsey fan.  Unfortunately, I can see that there are going to be bigger issues down the road with his family down the road.  The six year-old is the late husband's biological daughter.  The 15 year-old isn't.  And while he never made that distinction, his family has a tendency to at times.  So it's going to be really, really ugly if the oldest daughter gets college paid for and the money runs out before the youngest graduates HS. 

As it stands right now, I could definitely see my husband or my parents blowing through a lot of money in a short amount of time if I died.  Maybe not to this extent, but (with my parents) my kid would end up taking a lot of cruises with them.  This has definitely been an eye-opening experience for me in regards to how I need to set things up with my own insurance.

Are there options to give the children a financial guardian who controls/protects their money?

And could you (anonimously) warn child protection about this. Or is the mother not doing anything illegal? Probably not, just something very immoral.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5510 on: November 01, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »

Are there options to give the children a financial guardian who controls/protects their money?

And could you (anonimously) warn child protection about this. Or is the mother not doing anything illegal? Probably not, just something very immoral.

It's not illegal.  She was the beneficiary, not the girls. 

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5511 on: November 01, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »

It strikes me as extreme that you would suggest contacting CPS.  What made you think that the mother was doing something illegal?  There are lots of parents that would rather install a pool than maintain a robust college fund for their children (and this family is grieving).  Yes, it's very unwise and very uncool - it's probably not what her spouse agreed to when he was living, and it's not what most of us would choose - but I'm not sure it's "very immoral".

The father could have designated the children as the life insurance beneficiaries or put money in a trust for the children and appointed a trustee that was not their mother to make financial decisions about those funds, but it sounds like he did not.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5512 on: November 01, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »
There is a guy I know that isn't a relative but this story really bothers me! The guy and his wife have two kids. They both work and are foolish with their money. They just went thru a bankruptcy and one of their cars got repoed. The wife and kids are living with her relatives and he just managed to get another apartment. The guy makes just above minimum wage and is super overweight and lazy at his job. He avoids doing his job which makes his coworkers mad. The company he works for has a hardship fund for employees and he managed to get just under $2,000. He plans to buy a junker car with it and you know what that will lead to. More car repairs, more money to dump into it that he barely has. His wife works too. Not sure what she does but at least she has a job. Like I mentioned, he works for just above minimum wage but his company offers almost free college to its employees. You'd think with that opportunity he would go for a degree so he could make more money and get ahead! I doubt he will ever do it. To work at a dead end job for your entire life just seems so depressing. Why don't people want to improve their lives and their children's? I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this guy and his family.

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5513 on: November 01, 2019, 04:51:59 PM »
Why don't people want to improve their lives and their children's?
I knew someone like that. His worldview was that if you work for others, you're their slave. Demeaning, you know. Beneath him. And also, he couldn't work for himself since the system was rigged against people like him (not JUST him, of course). So in his mind, the way to "win" was to bounce around among menial jobs, doing as little as possible (see, that's how you stick it to the man) until getting canned (which was always "getting screwed").

Fired for being lazy? "I wasn't going to bust my ass for that jerk for what I was getting paid."
Fired for missing too much work? "Bullshit excuse for getting rid of me. He didn't like that I didn't kiss his ass. Other people missed more work than I did."
Fired for stealing? "That stuff was going to be thrown out anyway, it was bullshit."
Fired for poor performance? "Sure, they trained that <person of different race> and ignored his screwups, but since I was <race> I was expendable."
Fired for insubordination? "Who thinks they can talk to me that way and I'm supposed to just take it? I don't have to put up with that shit. I'm not a slave."

In between the firings, we'd occasionally hear anecdotes of his "wins" at the job, consisting of how he got away with stuff.

Dude, so check this out - last week the boss was gone and some idiot returned five 2x4s he bought last week. Stupid ass couldn't even figure out how many he needed. After I refunded him I cut off 4 inches of each one from the end with the stock tag and said that's all he returned and since we're supposed to keep the customers happy I refunded him in full. Meanwhile, five free 2x4s that are a little short jumped in my truck. Sweeeet win.

Point being, some people can rationalize anything to avoid blame or responsibility, and at the same time present themselves as rugged take-no-prisoners types worthy of admiration.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5514 on: November 01, 2019, 05:42:28 PM »
I knew someone like that. His worldview was that if you work for others, you're their slave. Demeaning, you know. Beneath him. And also, he couldn't work for himself since the system was rigged against people like him (not JUST him, of course). So in his mind, the way to "win" was to bounce around among menial jobs, doing as little as possible (see, that's how you stick it to the man) until getting canned (which was always "getting screwed").

Fired for being lazy? "I wasn't going to bust my ass for that jerk for what I was getting paid."
Fired for missing too much work? "Bullshit excuse for getting rid of me. He didn't like that I didn't kiss his ass. Other people missed more work than I did."
Fired for stealing? "That stuff was going to be thrown out anyway, it was bullshit."
Fired for poor performance? "Sure, they trained that <person of different race> and ignored his screwups, but since I was <race> I was expendable."
Fired for insubordination? "Who thinks they can talk to me that way and I'm supposed to just take it? I don't have to put up with that shit. I'm not a slave."

In between the firings, we'd occasionally hear anecdotes of his "wins" at the job, consisting of how he got away with stuff.

Dude, so check this out - last week the boss was gone and some idiot returned five 2x4s he bought last week. Stupid ass couldn't even figure out how many he needed. After I refunded him I cut off 4 inches of each one from the end with the stock tag and said that's all he returned and since we're supposed to keep the customers happy I refunded him in full. Meanwhile, five free 2x4s that are a little short jumped in my truck. Sweeeet win.

Point being, some people can rationalize anything to avoid blame or responsibility, and at the same time present themselves as rugged take-no-prisoners types worthy of admiration.

People like that gravitate to leaders who lead them to believe they'll be able to oppress others, because then THOSE PEOPLE (whoever they are in their twisted little minds) will pay.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5515 on: November 01, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »

Ah, the entitlement-class professional victim mentality. It's not an economic thing; the phenomenon exists at all income levels. They believe, as adults, that they are entitled to the results of other people's labor without giving anything of like value in exchange. If they do not receive such resources from others voluntarily, they believe they are (a) being wronged or treated unjustly, and (b) entitled to take what they want by means of theft, guilt, deception, extortion, or outright violence. Furthermore, this belief always has a basis in fact. They interpret their successful thefts or guilt-tripping as evidence they are right, and when their schemes fail or there are negative consequences for their negative behavior they do not see their own behavior as having played a role in what happened. It's always the other person's fault.

Folks like this will pee on your leg and tell you it's raining. You might think they are your friends, but they aren't. They are enemies that have not yet targeted you. In their minds, there are circumstances in which they believe theft, extortion, property damage, or (insert abuse of your choice) are acceptable and in fact justified and appropriate. They seek out enablers who at least appear to agree with them. It's easy to go along with them, at least verbally, because individuals who behave this way are superficially charming and fun to be around. That's how they get away with behaving badly to as many people as they do: there's always a Greek Chorus proclaiming "But he's such a Pillar of the Community!" or "But she's such a sweet person!" It's dangerous to be such an enabler because when a person thinks that way it's only a matter of time before you become a target. One day, they decide that the circumstances are right to justify doing it to you. You can't buy immunity. The second you have something they want and aren't sharing with you, they go full Robin Hood.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5516 on: November 02, 2019, 03:26:34 AM »
The lazy guy I mentioned is always bragging that in his former job he was a manager at a well known fast food chain. He said the job was great. I chalk it up to the fact that he may have been allowed to eat all the food he wanted and that is what made it such a great job. I wonder if it was such a great job; why isn't he working there anymore? I am guessing he got fired. But I don't know for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get fired at the current job he has. He calls out often and when he is there is whines about everything and tries to get out of doing anything.

The sad thing is that he learns quickly and when he does apply himself, he does a good job. So, if he were to put his positive energy into things, he might move up the ladder slowly to something better. OR, find another job somewhere else that better suits him.

I definitely can see how depressing this job could be. Low pay, dealing with rude customers, working weekends and holidays. Nope, not for me.

At this current job, employees accrue PTO from the hours worked. Seems the minute they accrue one day they call out. The lazy guy isn't the only one calling out. They have a pretty strict attendance policy but the workers seem to know all the ins and outs. However, a lot have gotten fired for bad attendance. The company has even implemented a reward system for not missing days where they get a bonus at the end of a certain time frame. But even that doesn't inspire some to come to work!

It must be hell on earth for these chain stores, that have no authority to pay more per hour, and have to deal with a never ending parade of people hiring and firing them.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5517 on: November 02, 2019, 06:31:34 AM »
The lazy guy I mentioned is always bragging that in his former job he was a manager at a well known fast food chain. He said the job was great. I chalk it up to the fact that he may have been allowed to eat all the food he wanted and that is what made it such a great job.

I bet he liked lording it over the other workers, too.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5518 on: November 04, 2019, 07:53:15 AM »
People like this are a good reason to get advanced training or a college degree. Never want any daily doses of him IRL. Share as much as you want about him here however. ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:41:00 AM by Just Joe »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5519 on: November 04, 2019, 10:29:04 AM »
Lazy guy got that hardship loan from his company and shows no appreciation. He finds hiding places to take naps while on the clock. At this point no one has turned him in but coworkers are disgruntled that he is getting away with this behavior. It is only a mater of time before this guy gets fired.

Once he gets fired then what?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5520 on: November 04, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »
People like this are a good reason to get advanced training or a college degree. Never want any daily doses of him IRL. Share as much as you want about him here however. ;)
Nope. Stupidity isn't exclusive to the uneducated. It exists even at MBA, PhD and MD levels. People with education and years of experience still attempt to rationalize their stupid behavior.
I work with govt civilians with or without prior military experience, with or without college degrees. 95% of them say and make stupid decisions. So do many contractors, including this post's author.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5521 on: November 05, 2019, 12:51:16 AM »
Lazy guy got that hardship loan from his company and shows no appreciation. He finds hiding places to take naps while on the clock. At this point no one has turned him in but coworkers are disgruntled that he is getting away with this behavior. It is only a mater of time before this guy gets fired.

Once he gets fired then what?

We have a coworker who always arrives very late at work, like around noon. He doesn't sit in the open office area, but downstairs in a test lab where no one notices whether he has arrived or not. But some of us (more than just me) got a little upset about this and asked a person who can look in the hours registration whether she could see if he cheated. But apparently he registered his hours at the correct time. Then we didn't worry about it anymore. It is not our job to follow him up. But it would have been very unfair if he reported in more hours than he actually worked, while we others have to work for them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5522 on: November 05, 2019, 04:44:52 AM »
There are weasels everywhere. I used to work at this place where we had to punch in for our shift and out at the end of the day. This one guy would punch in THEN leave the building to pick up his girlfriend who also worked there. They both were not teens but middle aged people.

At another place I worked there was a woman who would pay her bills by checkbook, make out Christmas Cards, play solitaire on the computer amongst other personal things. She would come to work late a lot and claim she was doing some shopping for work reasons. Her kids would call her at work as soon as they got home from school and she would spend time taking their phone calls. The phone would be ringing off the hook. About 2 pm she would actually start 'working'. She had her bosses bamboozled she was SOOO busy! Her problem was that she was too smart for the job she was in and was not ambitious enough to climb the corporate ladder.

I worked with this engineering intern one summer. He was assigned to one of our most intelligent young engineers we had in our company. If there was a mechanical issue he would have no problem crawling on his back under a machine to find out what was going on. The intern couldn't be bothered to follow lead and learn from this genius engineer. He was ho hum all the time. What a waste of a summer and he lost a grand opportunity to learn from one of the best.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5523 on: November 10, 2019, 06:39:51 PM »
Two employers I worked for had rounds of firings after people would clock in and then go home. At one employer it was just a few random brave individuals who were caught and fired. At the other place they fired a whole maintenance department.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #5524 on: November 11, 2019, 05:45:35 AM »
I love my sister, she's a great person but is pretty bad with money. She says she needs a new couch, a new mattress and a new car but she doesn't have the money. The mattress I get, it's pretty old. She could take public transportation to work and save the wear and tear on the car she has and hold off on the couch. BUT in the same conversation she told me that she bought my niece a $150 set of headphones! If you don't have money for a new mattress to replace the one that's 30 years old then you definitely don't need to buy your kid an expensive pair of headphones that she'll probably loose or have stolen.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5525 on: November 11, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
I love my sister, she's a great person but is pretty bad with money. She says she needs a new couch, a new mattress and a new car but she doesn't have the money. The mattress I get, it's pretty old. She could take public transportation to work and save the wear and tear on the car she has and hold off on the couch. BUT in the same conversation she told me that she bought my niece a $150 set of headphones! If you don't have money for a new mattress to replace the one that's 30 years old then you definitely don't need to buy your kid an expensive pair of headphones that she'll probably loose or have stolen.

I don’t have children, so I find stuff like this extra hard to understand. Is it really that hard to say no to them? I have a friend who’s TERRIBLE with money AND underemployed. Has his son some weekends. The guy is capable of cooking, but never cooks or buys groceries because “I can’t afford it. I have no time. I have to feed the kid properly.” It’s nothing more than an inability to recognize and change constantly poor choices. So, what does he do to feed the kid? Goes to a restaurant. He could buy $30-50 of groceries and feed himself and the kid all meals for days, but spends on restaurant food and fast food, then runs out of money and falls behind on bills. Dude, you make minimum wage and have huge debt payments. Paying people to prepare your food is the last thing you should be doing. It’s such a horrible cycle and sad to watch.

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #5526 on: November 11, 2019, 12:39:33 PM »
I don’t have children, so I find stuff like this extra hard to understand. Is it really that hard to say no to them? I have a friend who’s TERRIBLE with money AND underemployed. Has his son some weekends. The guy is capable of cooking, but never cooks or buys groceries because “I can’t afford it. I have no time. I have to feed the kid properly.” It’s nothing more than an inability to recognize and change constantly poor choices. So, what does he do to feed the kid? Goes to a restaurant. He could buy $30-50 of groceries and feed himself and the kid all meals for days, but spends on restaurant food and fast food, then runs out of money and falls behind on bills. Dude, you make minimum wage and have huge debt payments. Paying people to prepare your food is the last thing you should be doing. It’s such a horrible cycle and sad to watch.

Stories like this is why I never feel bad raising the rent on my tenants. I know most people waste their money

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5527 on: November 11, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »

Maybe invite them over and have them help you cook?  Then they can both (a) learn that they CAN cook and (b) that it can be a fun bonding thing to do.   

DutchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5528 on: November 11, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »

At another place I worked there was a woman who would pay her bills by checkbook, make out Christmas Cards, play solitaire on the computer amongst other personal things. She would come to work late a lot (...) About 2 pm she would actually start 'working'. She had her bosses bamboozled she was SOOO busy! Her problem was that she was too smart for the job she was in and was not ambitious enough to climb the corporate ladder.

Then again, if she actually got all the work done that they were paying her for between 2 PM and 5 PM, I'd argue that the bosses shouldn't complain. They probably hired her to do a job, they were willing to pay her $xxk for it, and she got the job done. Of course it could have been more useful and everybody would have been a bit happier if the bosses had just told her to do a specific list of tasks and nobody cared when she did them as long as they got done. She'd come in at 12 and would have gone home by 4 PM and would have been less obnoxious to the rest of you guys.

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5529 on: November 11, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »
People, tell me if I need to stop posting every time my parents reward my loser brother for his total lack of Emersonian self-reliance or basic intellectual maturity...

Until we get there, here we go again. Brother, age 37 (or as my partner calls him, Monsieur-37-going-on-15), who lives with our parents, convinced them to give him about $1000 to fly last minute from PA to Seattle and stay in a swanky hotel for four days so that he could tell a potential employer that he happened to be in Seattle should they want to talk about hiring him. I found out because I have been to Seattle for a conference once, so parents asked me to recommend a swanky hotel. (I have no idea. I stayed in a dorm room. I told them that and recommended hotels.com.)

Anyway....

New Girlfriend went with him but she/her family covered her airfare. He took her out for dinners and luxury entertainment, then Employer was suddenly tied up and never met with him. 37 says that they have followed up by email and he’s first choice for Swanky Job should it become available. (There is in fact high turnover in his field, so employer might not be lying.)

This is shopped to me as an example of Taking Initiative, etc etc. Possibly his industry is so corrupt and full of over privileged jerks that they will give him this job. I guess that’s the best possible outcome because my parents won’t need to repeat this particular rescue mission.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:09:21 PM by stashja »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5530 on: November 11, 2019, 10:15:39 PM »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5531 on: November 12, 2019, 01:09:10 AM »
People, tell me if I need to stop posting every time my parents reward my loser brother for his total lack of Emersonian self-reliance or basic intellectual maturity...

Until we get there, here we go again. Brother, age 37 (or as my partner calls him, Monsieur-37-going-on-15), who lives with our parents, convinced them to give him about $1000 to fly last minute from PA to Seattle and stay in a swanky hotel for four days so that he could tell a potential employer that he happened to be in Seattle should they want to talk about hiring him. I found out because I have been to Seattle for a conference once, so parents asked me to recommend a swanky hotel. (I have no idea. I stayed in a dorm room. I told them that and recommended hotels.com.)

Anyway....

New Girlfriend went with him but she/her family covered her airfare. He took her out for dinners and luxury entertainment, then Employer was suddenly tied up and never met with him. 37 says that they have followed up by email and he’s first choice for Swanky Job should it become available. (There is in fact high turnover in his field, so employer might not be lying.)

This is shopped to me as an example of Taking Initiative, etc etc. Possibly his industry is so corrupt and full of over privileged jerks that they will give him this job. I guess that’s the best possible outcome because my parents won’t need to repeat this particular rescue mission.

Is he applying for a job in the Trump administration? Homeland Security chief or so?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5532 on: November 12, 2019, 01:58:06 AM »

At another place I worked there was a woman who would pay her bills by checkbook, make out Christmas Cards, play solitaire on the computer amongst other personal things. She would come to work late a lot (...) About 2 pm she would actually start 'working'. She had her bosses bamboozled she was SOOO busy! Her problem was that she was too smart for the job she was in and was not ambitious enough to climb the corporate ladder.

Then again, if she actually got all the work done that they were paying her for between 2 PM and 5 PM, I'd argue that the bosses shouldn't complain. They probably hired her to do a job, they were willing to pay her $xxk for it, and she got the job done. Of course it could have been more useful and everybody would have been a bit happier if the bosses had just told her to do a specific list of tasks and nobody cared when she did them as long as they got done. She'd come in at 12 and would have gone home by 4 PM and would have been less obnoxious to the rest of you guys.

I have the type of job where my boss is fully aware that I don't have much to do half of the month and is ok with that, because in our field it's critical that I'm available to work very hard the other half of the month.

I'm in grad school so I keep busy by doing coursework and sometimes writing short memo's about how this or that development will have influence on our work. I volunteer to take work over from coworkers when I can. Still I notice this slowly damages my motivation even though I like my work - when there's work. I can totally imagine that after years of this someone stops caring and starts to play solitaire to kill the time. Someone should have told her to read MMM's blog instead...

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5533 on: November 12, 2019, 02:44:59 AM »
"Is he applying for a job in the Trump administration? Homeland Security chief or so?"

No. not government. This is just idiotic.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5534 on: November 12, 2019, 05:15:32 AM »
"Is he applying for a job in the Trump administration? Homeland Security chief or so?"

No. not government. This is just idiotic.

Sarcasm.   That is an example of sarcasm of the topical political humor category.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5535 on: November 12, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »

This post could have been about me, except for the part about coming in late. I had a lot of time with not enough work to do.  I used to do personal paperwork at work.  I also taught myself VBA, SAS, and SQL in my downtime.  I read all the industry magazines and newspapers that were in the office.  Once we had internet access I did copious research on healthcare and insurance issues, including reading actual legislation, like the Medicare Modernization Act, and almost every HPMS memo CMS put out from 2005-2018.

I'm a reader, love to learn new things, and am very efficient.  My manager always knew I had time for more work.  But my employer was (and still is) seriously overstaffed.  Other people were horribly territorial, because they didn't have enough work to do either.  I was ambitious enough to climb the corporate ladder, but once I got high enough to really see what was going on, I said "Oh, hell no" and started on my path to FIRE.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5536 on: November 12, 2019, 03:51:51 PM »

Or they'll break.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 03:56:49 PM by Just Joe »

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #5537 on: November 17, 2019, 02:31:55 AM »
I used to do personal paperwork at work.
When I FIRE'd I was horrified to find I had to compare and renew insurances etc. IN MY OWN TIME!!!!!!!! Mu son asked me to research a new mortgage deal for him and I replied 'I'm not working anymore you know, I don't have time for that stuff'.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5538 on: November 17, 2019, 09:25:40 AM »

It was a 40  hour a week job and she did maybe 3 hours of work a day. She had a couple of bosses who had their heads in the sand and were so busy themselves, they didn't have time to monitor her activities that were not work. They actually trusted her and she took advantage. It was a team oriented work place. If you actually ran out of things to do, which was almost never for me, then it was common practice to offer to help others with their work. It  might only be an hour or two but was appreciated. Our work loads were incredible and never ending for most of us. I had between 3 and 4 people needing my services every single day. She was known to be a  miserable, lazy person who was just not a team player and no one wanted to even ask her to do anything. Plus, she had one lady boss who felt compassion for her due to the fact she had 3 children. Not fair to cater to people who have children compared to those who have none. Should be equal treatment. I do blame her bosses for allowing her to mismanage her time. It was not a job that you were given an assignment, do it as fast as you can and then goof off the rest of the day. Would have been fine with me if she worked 3 hours and went home as long as she got paid for only 3 hours! However, at that time there were no part time people.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5539 on: November 18, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
When I FIRE'd I was horrified to find I had to compare and renew insurances etc. IN MY OWN TIME!!!!!!!! Mu son asked me to research a new mortgage deal for him and I replied 'I'm not working anymore you know, I don't have time for that stuff'.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5540 on: November 18, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
this is hilarious!

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #5541 on: November 18, 2019, 01:34:33 PM »
this is hilarious!
Oh yes, very funny.

Wait till you find out you don't get Bank Holidays either!!!!!!!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5542 on: November 18, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »
this is hilarious!

I'm sad to say, from recent personal experience, it's not funny at all. :(   

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5543 on: November 19, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »

Some work from home. Some home from work.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5544 on: November 24, 2019, 03:23:19 AM »
It was a 40  hour a week job and she did maybe 3 hours of work a day. ... The[bosses] actually trusted her and she took advantage. It was a team oriented work place. If you actually ran out of things to do, which was almost never for me, then it was common practice to offer to help others with their work. It  might only be an hour or two but was appreciated. Our work loads were incredible and never ending for most of us. I had between 3 and 4 people needing my services every single day. ....

Dealing with this myself right now, same situation: workload is by team, and we're stuck with a really poor (selfish, lazy) team player. I'm struggling with morale already, and knowing that I work eight hours at full steam, they work two casually, and we're regarded & compensated the same is crushing. I wish I could ignore it, or maybe just work at 98% of my peak capacity and catch my breath. I just couldn't live with myself shortchanging the team. It's almost harder because I know I could walk away - real first-world whine, but in the past I had to struggle through it for the check; now that I can afford a little dignity, the insult is sharper.

Anybody find a way around this? I don't see it changing, but it's also the first time I've ever felt like my job was a net positive between personal compensation, personal sacrifice, & general impact.

Yanisimo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5545 on: December 04, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »
This is about my friend. She and her husband are in a lot of debt. They have credit card debt, car loan debt, thousands in lawyer fees still unpaid...etc. They cannot afford the mortgage, and so the husband's family has been paying for their mortgage and monthly child support since the summer of 2018. They are apparently going to file the documents necessary to claim bankruptcy as soon as they can afford the trustee's $1,000 filing fee.

Despite their financial woes, they go out to eat (in nice, sit-in restaurants) every week. They went to Universal Orlando in December with their 3 kids, hired a professional photographer to take family Christmas photos, spent New Year's Eve in a fancy restaurant/bar located downtown in a high rise building overlooking the city fireworks show, and spent their 2 year anniversary in an even fancier restaurant. It seems their spending habits have not changed despite their high debt.

Update on my friend's life: The husband's car was repossessed this summer because they stopped making payments on it. Mommy and Daddy came to the rescue. The husband was relieved of $50,000 worth of credit card debt thanks to filing for bankruptcy. They are still in 5 figures worth of debt. My friend contributes $100 per month to her baby's college fund that makes 2-3% in returns and doesn't make the minimum payments on her credit card, so she racks up fees and interest. I felt bad for her financial situation, so today I generously paid for her ticket to attend a holiday event to help her save $. Just a few hours later, I noticed on Instagram that she bought a giant, real Christmas tree, just like she did last year when they were >$70,000 in debt. What the f$&k. I want my money back.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5546 on: December 04, 2019, 10:29:08 PM »
That's just sad.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #5547 on: December 05, 2019, 12:23:01 AM »
You learnt an important lesson today.

PVD_Kev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5548 on: December 05, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »
But think about all the CO2 you are exhaling! You should be ashamed...  /s

I used to have a boss who would in all seriousness argue that him driving to work in his big Mercedes was better for the environment than me cycling, because it would be years before the pollution from the production of the steel my bike was made from was compensated and it would take even longer because I need to eat extra food due to all my cycling. Of course his Merc wasn't made from metal and doesn't need fuel :/

Guy even used the "trust me I'm an engineer" argument.

Engineers are consistently the most convinced in their "false negative" error when it comes to climate change and emissions.  It's...bizarre.

On thread:  My father (80 yo) loves to say things like "Well, the plane is going to fly whether you buy a ticket or not."  Of course, Mister Supply-and-Demand-are-Immutable-Laws-of-Nature never sees the fallacy in his statement.  Good thing I love the guy or he'd drive me crazy!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5549 on: December 05, 2019, 08:16:13 PM »
Loving someone and them driving you crazy are not mutually exclusive