Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3478557 times)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #2550 on: February 03, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »
Truly some of our kids' favorite toys have been a box, some string and a stick (when they were younger). ;)

Even now when they are older - they still are drawn to activities where they make something or are actively moving around.

In our case my parents are so self-involved that they really don't know our kids very well anymore. I recommended to my parents to come and spend time with our kids that they said they miss so much but that was not well received (as expected):

"Well, we've been waiting for an invitation!"

Meanwhile we invite them constantly. Every time we see them. Always excuses. What it boils down to is the grandparents always want our kids at their house, on their turf, where they can set the rules. Our kids feel stifled and captive. This goes right along with other parts the GPs personalities which have controlling tendencies.

Our kids at their house are not the same as our kids in their own home surrounded by their own things. They have things they would prob like to share with their GPs if there was more of a relationship there. I don't discuss this topic much with the GPs b/c just like the last time I saw them - it always gets turned around so its something solely our fault which isn't true by a long shot.

I fear that when we have kids, they will have a much better relationship with my parents than my wifes because of this. Well, her mother anyways. Her father will come over often and let them be kids. Her mother will want them to behave.

My parents, meanwhile, I'm afraid will do everything they can to wreak havoc on my wife and I by giving our future kids dangerous toys, letting them drive cars too young, having them get dirty then handing them off to us to clean up... Basically revenge on me. And I'll welcome it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2551 on: February 03, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »

"Well, we've been waiting for an invitation!"

Meanwhile we invite them constantly. Every time we see them. Always excuses. What it boils down to is the grandparents always want our kids at their house, on their turf, where they can set the rules.

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've actually used that line on my brother and his wife, each time they come to visit my parents they'll tell me this and last time I wasn't in the best of mood and nearly told my brother to F himself. Reason being I have about a dozen emails and text messages where I'll ask them when I can come visit, or in early October I emailed him saying, "I can come nearly anytime in November, let me know when I can come," and didn't receive a response. So I didn't feel any constrained in reaming him out in public when he pretends like the only reason I haven't visited him was due a lack of interest on my part.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2552 on: February 03, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »

I often notice the difference between my nephews. My brother's 2 children are drowning in a big pile of expensive toys. Yes, they seem happy to play with it. But one year they got 3! fire trucks for Christmas. I'm pretty sure 1 would have given the same amount of joy.
My brother in law's child does not receive expensive gifts. He seems happy playing with simple things.

Yes, I think parents can form their children by what they buy them. I expect my BIL's son to turn into a nicer child in matters of materialistic needs.

Oh gosh, so true.  My brothers' children has so.much.stuff.  They had more gadgetry when they were ages 6-12 than I did as a working adult. (I've since remedied that, but that's my problem)
My other nephew's parents didn't have much so they gave their kid a 3 foot length of 1 inch diameter rope and then duct-taped the end of it to look like the nozzle of a firehose.  That kid carried it with him everywhere. 
One year, the kids with personal DVD players, tons of matchboxes, nintendos, etc were bored out of their minds while the other nephew was happily playing with his rope and his imagination.  And this was repeated every year with different toys.  It was wonderful to see. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2553 on: February 03, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
So keeping a box of baking soda in the fridge indefinitely is fine? My record is 6 years. Excellent.

You probably don't need it there anyway, but if you've already bought it, just don't replace it.

Oh yes it's needed. Roommate. Could be worse, but I don't want a smelly fridge.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2554 on: February 06, 2017, 01:51:00 AM »
But one year they got 3! fire trucks for Christmas. I'm pretty sure 1 would have given the same amount of joy.
My brother in law's child does not receive expensive gifts. He seems happy playing with simple things.

Yes, I think parents can form their children by what they buy them. I expect my BIL's son to turn into a nicer child in matters of materialistic needs.

Well, then you need a bigger house to store all the toys, right? ;)

(Speaking as a parent, I don't want to be tripping over 3 fire trucks, and would rather limit the clutter. Also, I've found children have a hard time focussing on what they're playing with when surrounded by too many toys. My toddler does MUCH better when her options are 'play kitchen and doll, or else building blocks in the basket' and the other toys are tucked away in the closet. And then we'll rotate out the building blocks for the toy farm or whatever, to great delight, but if it's all out she can't focus and makes a big mess and gets frazzled and everything is more difficult for all of us. Limited toys = maximized happiness for ALL family members.)

My brother just bought a bigger house... So I can guess the reason.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2555 on: February 06, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
My nephew stopped by to pick up my MIL yesterday, and I noticed that the RAV-4 he was driving had a "new car" temporary licence plate. I asked if they had replaced the old RAV-4. Nope, the lease is done (three or four years) so they financed the car...seven year loan. So they'll be paying for it for ten or eleven years. Good thing it's a Toyota, at least.

Back when they leased it, BIL had to get a 6-cylinder, because he "doesn't drive 4-cylinder cars". Anyone who drives with him or behind him keeps looking over to make sure he's not actually a ninety-year-old grandma, 'cause that's how he drives. A golf cart would suit his driving style better.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2556 on: February 06, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
My nephew stopped by to pick up my MIL yesterday, and I noticed that the RAV-4 he was driving had a "new car" temporary licence plate. I asked if they had replaced the old RAV-4. Nope, the lease is done (three or four years) so they financed the car...seven year loan. So they'll be paying for it for ten or eleven years. Good thing it's a Toyota, at least.

Back when they leased it, BIL had to get a 6-cylinder, because he "doesn't drive 4-cylinder cars". Anyone who drives with him or behind him keeps looking over to make sure he's not actually a ninety-year-old grandma, 'cause that's how he drives. A golf cart would suit his driving style better.

Antiquated view from when 4 cylinder cars were always slow dogs that couldn't get out of their own way? My dad drove 4 cylinders in the 70's and 80's. Then he was tired of flooring it to get to speed and got the "I don't drive 4 cylinder cars anymore" mentality for a long time. He came out of it, but it wasn't without merit.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2557 on: February 06, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
My brother and SIL are a single income family, living off part-time minimum wage hours, and receive subsidized housing and food stamps.  They also recently found out their 4th child is on the way.  Apparently they filed their taxes at one of those pop-up shops that will give you your refund upfront (along with an exorbitant fee) and used it to buy a husky puppy that cost $1000.  After taking it home they learned their rental doesn't allow pets, so they dropped it off at my mom's house for her to take care of until they move into a rental that allows dogs.  But of course, they can't give my mom any money toward the dog food because they are broke and can barely feed their own kids.  I honestly can't understand their logic at all: they can't feed their 3 kids without government assistance, they can't house their kids without assistance, they have another kid on the way, and they blow $1000 on a damn dog they can't afford to feed either. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2558 on: February 06, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
MIL ought to grow some back bone and say "hell no!" - take your puppy with you.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #2559 on: February 06, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
My brother and SIL are a single income family, living off part-time minimum wage hours, and receive subsidized housing and food stamps.  They also recently found out their 4th child is on the way.  Apparently they filed their taxes at one of those pop-up shops that will give you your refund upfront (along with an exorbitant fee) and used it to buy a husky puppy that cost $1000.  After taking it home they learned their rental doesn't allow pets, so they dropped it off at my mom's house for her to take care of until they move into a rental that allows dogs.  But of course, they can't give my mom any money toward the dog food because they are broke and can barely feed their own kids.  I honestly can't understand their logic at all: they can't feed their 3 kids without government assistance, they can't house their kids without assistance, they have another kid on the way, and they blow $1000 on a damn dog they can't afford to feed either.

HOLY SHIT!!! So.much.stupid all packed into one little story. Poor dog:(

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2560 on: February 06, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »

My thoughts exactly...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2561 on: February 06, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »

Antiquated view from when 4 cylinder cars were always slow dogs that couldn't get out of their own way? My dad drove 4 cylinders in the 70's and 80's. Then he was tired of flooring it to get to speed and got the "I don't drive 4 cylinder cars anymore" mentality for a long time. He came out of it, but it wasn't without merit.
The new Ford dual turbo 4s are pretty spunky engines - I'd take one over a standard v6 any day.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2562 on: February 06, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »

The new Ford dual turbo 4s are pretty spunky engines - I'd take one over a standard v6 any day.

Funny thing is, for a long time most (in the us) V6s were only slightly less crap than the 4s, up until VQ series nissan anyway.

Mr.BondsBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2563 on: February 07, 2017, 02:55:34 AM »

My thoughts exactly...

Poor children

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2564 on: February 07, 2017, 05:36:10 AM »

Funny thing is, for a long time most (in the us) V6s were only slightly less crap than the 4s, up until VQ series nissan anyway.

For my BIL, a 3-cylinder Geo Metro would have more than enough power for his driving style. I have no idea why he thinks he needs a 6-cyl car.

I'm not sure I trust the new turbo engines. My big issue with them is that manufacturers are adding turbos to get better scores on gas mileage and emissions testing, but in the real world, gas mileage seems to be worse than before. It's like when diesel became the big thing in Ireland, but then people started having all sorts of issues (broken impellers at 40k miles, etc) with the diesel engines. They weren't like the old Mercs that ran for 500k miles.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2565 on: February 07, 2017, 08:14:31 AM »

For my BIL, a 3-cylinder Geo Metro would have more than enough power for his driving style. I have no idea why he thinks he needs a 6-cyl car.

I'm not sure I trust the new turbo engines. My big issue with them is that manufacturers are adding turbos to get better scores on gas mileage and emissions testing, but in the real world, gas mileage seems to be worse than before. It's like when diesel became the big thing in Ireland, but then people started having all sorts of issues (broken impellers at 40k miles, etc) with the diesel engines. They weren't like the old Mercs that ran for 500k miles.

I'm with you on the turbos. I've had turbo'd vehicles before (SAAB, Volvo, Ford, Subaru). Don't get me wrong, I love them--but I just am not convinced of their reliability or the mpg that they seem to be promising, with the exception of the SAAB in the mpg department.

That doesn't stop me from drooling over the Abarth 124, but I'll probably end up with the Mazda.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2566 on: February 07, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »

My thoughts exactly...

Poor children

Yup.  Luckily I live 1500 miles away and I have them as "unfollowed" on facebook so I don't have to see the daily stupidity like this.  I just get big doses of it when my mom calls me to fill me in on what has been going on.  I tried to be a good sister and offer advice and help whenever they needed it (just not physically giving them money) but that wasn't good enough so they don't talk to me.  Oh well.  On the bright side they are only 20 (SIL) and 25 (B) so they are young enough they could change things around if they were willing to.  I just doubt they ever will. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2567 on: February 07, 2017, 08:49:27 AM »

My thoughts exactly...

Poor children

Yup.  Luckily I live 1500 miles away and I have them as "unfollowed" on facebook so I don't have to see the daily stupidity like this.  I just get big doses of it when my mom calls me to fill me in on what has been going on.  I tried to be a good sister and offer advice and help whenever they needed it (just not physically giving them money) but that wasn't good enough so they don't talk to me.  Oh well.  On the bright side they are only 20 (SIL) and 25 (B) so they are young enough they could change things around if they were willing to.  I just doubt they ever will.

... She'S 20? With 4 kids? Oh, man, I can't even imagine. Like, that's a lot to handle even if you've got a job/money/support network/common sense/budgeting skills/DIY skills/etc. Without any of those? Oooooooh lord. Poor her. Poor kids.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2568 on: February 07, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »

... She'S 20? With 4 kids? Oh, man, I can't even imagine. Like, that's a lot to handle even if you've got a job/money/support network/common sense/budgeting skills/DIY skills/etc. Without any of those? Oooooooh lord. Poor her. Poor kids.

Yes, it is a lot.  I just don't understand why they keep putting themselves through it.  Plus, she had her first baby so young (barely 15) that she wasn't fully developed and each subsequent pregnancy has resulted in complete bed rest after the first trimester.  With her last pregnancy, she was on complete, 100% bed rest for 6 months and then she still had the baby prematurely, so he had to stay in the NICU for a few weeks before coming home.  My mom was with her at her doctor's appointment when the doctor told her that getting pregnant again would put her life, and the child's life, in danger.  But according to her, she "likes" being pregnant.  I just don't get it.   

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2569 on: February 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »

Yes, it is a lot.  I just don't understand why they keep putting themselves through it.  Plus, she had her first baby so young (barely 15) that she wasn't fully developed and each subsequent pregnancy has resulted in complete bed rest after the first trimester.  With her last pregnancy, she was on complete, 100% bed rest for 6 months and then she still had the baby prematurely, so he had to stay in the NICU for a few weeks before coming home.  My mom was with her at her doctor's appointment when the doctor told her that getting pregnant again would put her life, and the child's life, in danger.  But according to her, she "likes" being pregnant.  I just don't get it.

... I am currently 39 weeks pregnant. "Like" is pretty damned far from how I'd describe the entire affair, honestly.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2570 on: February 07, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »

... I am currently 39 weeks pregnant. "Like" is pretty damned far from how I'd describe the entire affair, honestly.

I have a family member who also claims to like being pregnant. My personal opinion is that what she really likes is all the attention that comes with pregnancy.

Economista, I hope your SIL listens to that doctor. I feel for their children, that has got to be a stressful environment to grow up in. :-/

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2571 on: February 07, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »

Someone's got to be jumping around to take care of all those existing kids. 6 months straight with everyone kowtowing and doing all the work? That's a mini-retirement right there.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2572 on: February 07, 2017, 07:00:52 PM »

Someone's got to be jumping around to take care of all those existing kids. 6 months straight with everyone kowtowing and doing all the work? That's a mini-retirement right there.

... it might say something about my work ethic that that genuinely hadn't occurred to me. As I continue working and taking care of my kid and running a household while quite this knocked up.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2573 on: February 08, 2017, 01:19:56 AM »

... it might say something about my work ethic that that genuinely hadn't occurred to me. As I continue working and taking care of my kid and running a household while quite this knocked up.

If I were the mother, I would sell the $1000 dog, buy a crate of condoms and put the rest in one of those 503 account thingies for each of the children (whatever those education account are called... You know what I mean!)

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #2574 on: February 08, 2017, 06:54:24 AM »
This is something I just want to get off my chest.

My cousin is a few months older than me and a musician.  I'd say I don't know how she manages, but I do:  Whenever life gets a little too tough and it's looking like she might need to make some hard decisions - like get a part time job, take on more students, find more gigs, or possibly accept she might not have the right mix of talent, work ethic or business sense to make it in music and do something else - lest she suffer hardship, she hits up her parents for money.

On the one hand - it's her life, I'm not her, I'm hardly in a position to be too judgemental given the support my parents gave me in my early adulthood.  On the other - the fact she won't get out of this 'must make it in music' mindset means she's constantly turning to her parents for money and they're not really in a position to pay her bills as well as their own.

It's hard - her parents are getting to a point where they need to start saying no, and she's got her heart completely sold on making it in a notoriously difficult industry while completely failing to recognise her lifestyle has a negative impact on the finances and emotions of the people around her.

Also - I invited her to my wedding, she said she could go, except I find out from my parents that she won't be going due to funds - despite my offer to pay her flights and accommodation.  It's like dammit, the one and only time I would like you to visit me and will happily pay your way, you don't take me up on it?  Really?!?!  Why is accepting money from your parents when you know they don't have much so easy, but you somehow find some scrap of pride to wave around when I have the resources to fly you out for a weekend?  It would be okay if she just suddenly decided she really didn't want to make the trip, but I think this is 100% a money and pride thing, not a 'don't want to go' thing.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2575 on: February 08, 2017, 07:41:53 AM »

I have to wonder if they just aren't done growing up despite their ages.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #2576 on: February 08, 2017, 08:46:52 AM »

Also - I invited her to my wedding, she said she could go, except I find out from my parents that she won't be going due to funds - despite my offer to pay her flights and accommodation.  It's like dammit, the one and only time I would like you to visit me and will happily pay your way, you don't take me up on it?  Really?!?!  Why is accepting money from your parents when you know they don't have much so easy, but you somehow find some scrap of pride to wave around when I have the resources to fly you out for a weekend?  It would be okay if she just suddenly decided she really didn't want to make the trip, but I think this is 100% a money and pride thing, not a 'don't want to go' thing.

I, too, would be extremely frustrated watching this play out. Regarding your wedding, could you "hire" her to perform or something? Pay her a nominal amount plus travel costs? Maybe she'd feel better about accepting under those circumstances.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2577 on: February 08, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
If I were the mother, I would sell the $1000 dog, buy a crate of condoms and put the rest in one of those 503 account thingies for each of the children (whatever those education account are called... You know what I mean!)

I'd love to see their faces as they unwrapped the crate (you were going to gift wrap it yes?).

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2578 on: February 08, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »

My thoughts exactly...

lol - then these 4 little kids are gonna grow up to get $35-55k jobs and buy a BMW/Mercedes because they grew up poor and finally made it in life.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2579 on: February 08, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »

I, too, would be extremely frustrated watching this play out. Regarding your wedding, could you "hire" her to perform or something? Pay her a nominal amount plus travel costs? Maybe she'd feel better about accepting under those circumstances.

Similarly she could be worried about lost income for those few days or the need to then get you a gift.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2580 on: February 08, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
I was visiting my Uncle, Aunt, and 3 cousins a few weekends ago.  One of the cousins had just finished his first semester of college.  I asked him how it went, and he clammed up.  My Uncle said, "Oh yeah, what were your grades?"

Come to find out, he stopped attending at some point because he's not ready for college.  My Uncle and Aunt didn't even know, and this was a few weeks into when the 2nd semester should have started!  Apparently I caused a bit of an argument, so it got awkward.

I took the opportunity to hang out and play some video games with the 15y/o cousin in his bedroom, and we discussed his plans.  He seems like a bright kid, and seems cognizant of how important education is.

This is just one part of my huge family.  No one else in my extended family has a degree of any kind, so they all think I'm made of money.  I can't offer them money, but I can at least offer advice when it's welcomed.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2581 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »
No one else in my extended family has a degree of any kind, so they all think I'm made of money.  I can't offer them money, but I can at least offer advice when it's welcomed.

DO IT! About year or so ago I was at my cousin's wedding and was absolutely smashed, but ended up talking to a younger cousin and I guess I talked to him about being frugal. I don't remember the conversation but it happened because the next time I saw him he was quizzing me and it looked like he had listened.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2582 on: February 08, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
A commuting classmate of mine did that.

Quit classes but haunted campus and student housing b/c wouldn't even get a job to make use of the time. Didn't tell his parents either.

When he realized my place was empty most of those hours, he tried to set up camp there but I put my foot down. Was scared of what might go missing in the coming days and weeks of idleness.

Eventually he met a girl, got her pregnant and gave up the idea of school. Lots of little ones and a series of little paycheck type jobs. Lost track of him after that. Hoping he got traction in life and made good.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2583 on: February 08, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
No one else in my extended family has a degree of any kind, so they all think I'm made of money.  I can't offer them money, but I can at least offer advice when it's welcomed.

DO IT! About year or so ago I was at my cousin's wedding and was absolutely smashed, but ended up talking to a younger cousin and I guess I talked to him about being frugal. I don't remember the conversation but it happened because the next time I saw him he was quizzing me and it looked like he had listened.

That's awesome.  I hope he listened too.  He (the 15y/o) has been getting into cooking, and says he wants to go to culinary school.  We'll see if that idea has longevity, but it's nice that he seems to THINK he knows what he wants to do when he grows up.

A commuting classmate of mine did that.

Quit classes but haunted campus and student housing b/c wouldn't even get a job to make use of the time. Didn't tell his parents either.

When he realized my place was empty most of those hours, he tried to set up camp there but I put my foot down. Was scared of what might go missing in the coming days and weeks of idleness.

Eventually he met a girl, got her pregnant and gave up the idea of school. Lots of little ones and a series of little paycheck type jobs. Lost track of him after that. Hoping he got traction in life and made good.

You should follow up with him.  Tell him you hope he's doing well, and maybe offer advice if he's open to it.  I always like it when a friend reaches out and we can chat for a few, whether over a beer or just on Facebook.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2584 on: February 09, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »
I don't use FB at all (no account) and I can't remember his last name. Maybe some day we'll bump into each other. I know he moved to a different part of the state but he might have ties in my town.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #2585 on: February 09, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »
When I was in undergrad a person was charged with theft of services for impersonating a student.  This was all detailed in our school paper.

He claimed he was a freshman from dorm A but always hung out with a group of friends in dorm B.  He would rotate crashing in people's rooms.  He would constantly "forget" his ID and smooth talk his way into getting food from classmates or just sneak into the serveries.  Then he would do weird things like show up for certain classes but not show up for the test.

Eventually his friends became suspicious and flat out demanded proof he was a student.  When he still tried to claim he was a real student, his friends became frustrated and went to the RA.  Turns out he had applied but was not admitted.  He didn't know how to tell his parents, so he just faked his way as a student for weeks.

His friends admitted they wouldn't have reported him if they knew he'd be criminally charged.  It was a sad, strange situation all around.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2586 on: February 09, 2017, 11:32:16 AM »
When I was in undergrad a person was charged with theft of services for impersonating a student.  This was all detailed in our school paper.

He claimed he was a freshman from dorm A but always hung out with a group of friends in dorm B.  He would rotate crashing in people's rooms.  He would constantly "forget" his ID and smooth talk his way into getting food from classmates or just sneak into the serveries.  Then he would do weird things like show up for certain classes but not show up for the test.

Eventually his friends became suspicious and flat out demanded proof he was a student.  When he still tried to claim he was a real student, his friends became frustrated and went to the RA.  Turns out he had applied but was not admitted.  He didn't know how to tell his parents, so he just faked his way as a student for weeks.

His friends admitted they wouldn't have reported him if they knew he'd be criminally charged.  It was a sad, strange situation all around.

That could be a reasonably good movie plot, especially if the hero of the movie did something outrageous with the tuition money.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2587 on: February 09, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »

That could be a reasonably good movie plot, especially if the hero of the movie did something outrageous with the tuition money.

This is a really bizarre story. I mean going to college isn't a simple process, there are applications, acceptance letters, tons of paperwork they require you to fill out. Parents need to get involved as well. How did the parents not see his acceptance letter? For each college I got into, my parents demanded to see the acceptance letter (not because they didn't believe me, but they were wanted to celebrate with me).

Did the parents not help him move in? This isn't a movie like "Accepted," where parents will say, "Oh, you're starting college in August, well here's the car keys and let me know if you need help packing your things."

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2588 on: February 09, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »

This is a really bizarre story. I mean going to college isn't a simple process, there are applications, acceptance letters, tons of paperwork they require you to fill out. Parents need to get involved as well. How did the parents not see his acceptance letter? For each college I got into, my parents demanded to see the acceptance letter (not because they didn't believe me, but they were wanted to celebrate with me).

Did the parents not help him move in? This isn't a movie like "Accepted," where parents will say, "Oh, you're starting college in August, well here's the car keys and let me know if you need help packing your things."

To be fair, my parents would have had no idea if I did something similar.  They were pretty much completely hands off with my life decisions at that point... well, they didn't really track what I did in High School either.

I don't think it's that they didn't care.  I just don't think I knew enough about what I should be doing, and trusted my decisions.  Neither of them graduated high school, so it's possible they just didn't feel like they could offer any advice.

I didn't think of it as abnormal until years later when I realized how many of my friend's parents were highly involved with their education during HS & even Undergrad.  I suppose I was fortunate that my closest friends went to college, which led me to decide, "High school is ending... I guess I'll go to college too."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2589 on: February 09, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »

To be fair, my parents would have had no idea if I did something similar.  They were pretty much completely hands off with my life decisions at that point... well, they didn't really track what I did in High School either.

I don't think it's that they didn't care.  I just don't think I knew enough about what I should be doing, and trusted my decisions.  Neither of them graduated high school, so it's possible they just didn't feel like they could offer any advice.

I didn't think of it as abnormal until years later when I realized how many of my friend's parents were highly involved with their education during HS & even Undergrad.  I suppose I was fortunate that my closest friends went to college, which led me to decide, "High school is ending... I guess I'll go to college too."

That's a good point. Coming from an Indian background, my parents are incredibly patronizing even now and so it is hard for me to envision how other parents are with their children.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #2590 on: February 09, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »

I'm bad at guessing heritage, but between the name and the picture I would guess he was either of South Asian or Middle Eastern heritage.  The school had a reputation as being one of the more challenging and prestigious schools in the area.  Reading between the lines you got the impression he was under A LOT of pressure at home and COULD NOT admit he had failed and was in over his head.

The story kicked off an interesting debate at the school. 

Is it really a theft of services to sit in a lecture if you're not registered?  In theory, this is literally the single most valuable thing the school had to offer, yet a good number of teachers agreed they honestly didn't care if a stranger off the streets chose to attend classes.  Obviously the diploma is the "real" commodity, but still.

Even the the idea he was stealing food and shelter seemed flimsy.  The serveries plan their meals based on the number of people on the plan plus a little extra for visitors.  It's not like they spent extra just for him if he was never in the system in the first place.  And he only ever stayed on couches when he had permission.  It's pretty common for friends, relatives, boy/girlfriends, prospective students, etc. to stay in the dorms.  Rules about staying in the dorms are rarely and arbitrarily enforced at best.

At the same time though, did we really want to invite a body of non-students to live and creep around campus?  Not really.  Was it just to charge this guy and make an example out of him?  Not so sure.   

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2591 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »

Don't know how common it is but my parents didn't help me move in or move back. You have a car, load up (yourself) and see you soon. In fact they have never helped me/us move now that I think about it. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. I always figured if I needed a place to sleep, I'd find some corner of the library and patiently wait for the lights to be turned out.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:02:04 PM by Tasty Pinecones »

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2592 on: February 09, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
The eldest son of my good friend is a pathological liar, and overall a pretty low grade shitbag, but he is smart, real smart. He headed off to a state university and failed his first semester. He bullshitted his way through academic probation and squeaked through the second semester by a hair. His primary goal during this entire adventure was to be a real successful weed dealer, and he excelled. He then spent the entire next year, on campus, playing the part of a student, and never attended a single class. He was registered, and finished with a 0.0 GPA for the year.  He spent the year moving a ton of dope and never raised an eyebrow in town, like I said, this guy is smooth.  His mom was a big fan of denial, and always brushed off all of his crap as "boys will be boys". Finally, after two years, the school and his parents were no longer buying his lies, and he moved on. He quickly moved into "legitimate" sales, and his first job was screwing the elderly by selling them overpriced, low grade insurance, that they didn't need.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #2593 on: February 09, 2017, 07:25:40 PM »
My high school friend married a guy who was going to finally finish his degree, then dropped out and played video games while she was at work. Kept that going for a full semester, going off to class/day drinking at his buddy's house. They divorced not long after she found out. I can't remember if there were loans or if the Army reserves were paying for it.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2594 on: February 10, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
My roommate in grad school was an undergrad senior who only had 1 class plus her senior paper to do so she could officially graduate.  Each quarter she would register for her last class and then a few weeks in she would have to drop the class because her parents wouldn't pay the tuition (taking out a loan or paying for it herself didn't even cross her mind).  She would make a big deal out of how mean her parents were because they wouldn't just pay for her last class.  Spring quarter rolled around and her mom showed up and the whole story came out - the year before she had taken that last class, and walked at graduation, and told her parents she graduated.  They had a whole big graduation celebration for her and everything.  But she failed the class so she didn't graduate - and she didn't tell them.  So each quarter they got a bill in the mail and thought she was taking classes for the fun of it.  Since they were paying tuition for both of her younger sisters as well, her "extra" classes were not a high priority.  Once they found out she hadn't actually graduated they paid for the class. 

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2595 on: February 10, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »
My roommate in grad school was an undergrad senior who only had 1 class plus her senior paper to do so she could officially graduate.  Each quarter she would register for her last class and then a few weeks in she would have to drop the class because her parents wouldn't pay the tuition (taking out a loan or paying for it herself didn't even cross her mind).  She would make a big deal out of how mean her parents were because they wouldn't just pay for her last class.  Spring quarter rolled around and her mom showed up and the whole story came out - the year before she had taken that last class, and walked at graduation, and told her parents she graduated.  They had a whole big graduation celebration for her and everything.  But she failed the class so she didn't graduate - and she didn't tell them.  So each quarter they got a bill in the mail and thought she was taking classes for the fun of it.  Since they were paying tuition for both of her younger sisters as well, her "extra" classes were not a high priority.  Once they found out she hadn't actually graduated they paid for the class.

That would be so embarrassing.  Still, coming right out with it, when she discovered the error, would've saved her a year of stress.

My wife discovered about a year ago (5 years after graduating college) that she didn't actually graduate.  She was applying for a masters program and found out that she owed like $250.  She paid it, and received her degree a month later.  She didn't even think about not having a piece of paper, and just started a job after college.  None of her subsequent jobs ever asked for proof of graduation.  Good thing we spend all that money for the piece of paper most jobs don't check for!

My current employer actually requires people to bring in their degrees and have them copied and put into our employee files.  It's the only instance I've ever heard of an employer checking.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2596 on: February 10, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »

That would be so embarrassing.  Still, coming right out with it, when she discovered the error, would've saved her a year of stress.

My wife discovered about a year ago (5 years after graduating college) that she didn't actually graduate.  She was applying for a masters program and found out that she owed like $250.  She paid it, and received her degree a month later.  She didn't even think about not having a piece of paper, and just started a job after college.  None of her subsequent jobs ever asked for proof of graduation.  Good thing we spend all that money for the piece of paper most jobs don't check for!

My current employer actually requires people to bring in their degrees and have them copied and put into our employee files.  It's the only instance I've ever heard of an employer checking.

I had a professor who got his law degree from the U of MN, and I guess when he graduated the degree wasn't called a Juris Doctorate (JD), but something else. When they changed the degree to JD they granted it to him but said that he would need to pay for the new diploma. He didn't pay, and said that about a few years later they sent it to him for free. I thought that story was hilarious. The amount he was asked to pay was like $20, but he didn't out of principle. The university he became a professor at....U of MN.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2597 on: February 10, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
I had a professor who got his law degree from the U of MN, and I guess when he graduated the degree wasn't called a Juris Doctorate (JD), but something else. When they changed the degree to JD they granted it to him but said that he would need to pay for the new diploma. He didn't pay, and said that about a few years later they sent it to him for free. I thought that story was hilarious. The amount he was asked to pay was like $20, but he didn't out of principle. The university he became a professor at....U of MN.

That is 100% in keeping with all of the U policies I've encountered. If they don't nickel-and-dime students, how will they ever have the money to tear down a historic football stadium to erect a rusty monstrosity, and subsequently to insist that they need a new football stadium?

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2598 on: February 10, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
When I graduated, I got a job right out of school, never got asked about a diploma at it or subsequent jobs.

My school supposedly mailed my diploma to my parents address (the permanent address I had on file since I moved a lot during college). My parents never recieved it, I called and complained they claimed to have sent it, and that I would have to pay $45 if I wanted a new one. Bah, oh well, so I never bothered.

Then low and behold eight!! years later they called to tell me they had my diploma. Apparently it had been sitting in a store room the entire time, and they had just gotten around to having someone go through the room.

So I finally got my diploma almost a decade after I graduated.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2599 on: February 10, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »

When I served on my university's academic discipline board, we had a case in which a former student was found guilty of forging diplomas and selling them to people who hadn't attended university and had employers like yours.