Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3482557 times)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #1650 on: August 09, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »
I am a bit more prepared for it now. I will see them again before Christmas. But I really need to come up with my best calm reactions to somehow let Miss. Sass  know what she says is inappropriate yet not start a confrontation.

I can't imagine what to say to accomplish this. Care to throw out an idea?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1651 on: August 09, 2016, 06:36:42 PM »
I am a bit more prepared for it now. I will see them again before Christmas. But I really need to come up with my best calm reactions to somehow let Miss. Sass  know what she says is inappropriate yet not start a confrontation.

"WOW. How... Interesting. *change subject really obviously*"

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1652 on: August 09, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »

First: the eyebrow.

Second: "Well, aren't you the cheeky little monkey."

Not smiling. Not laughing. Repeat as needed and eventually she will respond to just the eyebrow. That is, at least, IF she's as intelligent as Pavlov's dogs.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get i
« Reply #1653 on: August 09, 2016, 08:28:41 PM »

This in answer to a statement.  Or complete silence, and ignore. To her smart alec questions you  answer as you would to any other boorish adult
" I cant imagine ne why you would ask that"

Calling anyone "a cheeky little monkey" just engages her further and you stoop to her level.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:52:36 PM by iris lily »

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1654 on: August 09, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »

This inanswer to a statement.  Or complete silence, and ignore. To her smaer alec questions ns your u answer as you would to any other boorish adult "
I cant imagine ne why you would ask that"

Calling anyone "a cheeky little monkey" just engages her further and you stoop to her level.

My SO may just stay silent. Miss Sass likes the last word so we can give her the first & last word.

I thought a more passive aggressive approach. "Why would you say that? You hurt my feelings."

I don't think she is compleatly heartless so playing hurt, may help.

But it's also a case where the parents don't want or need parenting help. We were sucked into Miss Sass's web last year. A confrontation arose & her father demanded an apology from us!

No parental help, but they will take ample financial help from other relatives :(

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1655 on: August 09, 2016, 10:28:10 PM »
I wouldn't suggest anything that might give the brat the idea that she'd hurt me or offended me, because that is exactly what she wants to do. Hurting others empowers her and makes her feel good about herself. Some kids are just sadistic like that.

If you ignore their behavior or change the subject and don't call them on it, they win because in their mind they got away with it.

If you attempt to get their rightful authorities to correct them (in this case the parents), they win because their parents are being spineless, and they'll get away with it.

If you laugh, they win because they read it as an expression of approval or equality, when in reality you and the child are not equal.

If you express pain or concern, they win because they feel powerful.

If you one-up them, they win because you just demonstrated the same behavior.

If you punish them, even verbally, they win because then their parents bring the hammer down to protect poor little defenseless Snotley.

Pretty much everything you do to correct a snotty or destructive brat is a reward of some sort because it plays into their feelings of assholes-are-powerful-and-I-am-an-asshole empowerment. To keep their bullying in check (and it is bullying behavior), what's worked for me is acknowledgement of the inappropriateness, with mild disapproval in a way that highlights their pettiness and lack of adultness is about all you can do to pull their fangs out. It's not ideal. Smacking them would make me feel better, and I won't deny that I sometimes fantasize about it, but it's unlikely to correct the root cause of the problem, which is a total lack of empathy.

I find it best to never rely on another human being's inherent goodness or sense of compassion without first seeing evidence that one has been trained in.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1656 on: August 10, 2016, 05:57:19 AM »
What Grim said, as usual.

This ONLY works with the proper facial expression, but I've found that "hmmmm", with the ever-so-sligh sneer (like, one nostril slightly lifted and no other facial expression - I try to channel my grandmother, basically) and changing the subject really blatantly makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that the behaviour is judged and found wanting, but subtle enough that no one is gonna leap to their defence about how "they don't mean it" or "they're just like that".

Also works pretty well on that uber-sexist old biddy who lives down my street and keeps insisting on trying to talk to me about how we named our daughter (apparently a hyphenated last name disconnects a child from their heritage and family, did you know.)

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #1657 on: August 10, 2016, 07:03:35 AM »
I wouldn't suggest anything that might give the brat the idea that she'd hurt me or offended me, because that is exactly what she wants to do. Hurting others empowers her and makes her feel good about herself. Some kids people are just sadistic like that.

If you ignore their behavior or change the subject and don't call them on it, they win because in their mind they got away with it.

If you attempt to get their rightful authorities to correct them (in this case the parents), they win because their parents are being spineless, and they'll get away with it.

If you laugh, they win because they read it as an expression of approval or equality, when in reality you and the child are not equal.

If you express pain or concern, they win because they feel powerful.

If you one-up them, they win because you just demonstrated the same behavior.

If you punish them, even verbally, they win because then their parents bring the hammer down to protect poor little defenseless Snotley.

Pretty much everything you do to correct a snotty or destructive brat is a reward of some sort because it plays into their feelings of assholes-are-powerful-and-I-am-an-asshole empowerment. To keep their bullying in check (and it is bullying behavior), what's worked for me is acknowledgement of the inappropriateness, with mild disapproval in a way that highlights their pettiness and lack of adultness is about all you can do to pull their fangs out. It's not ideal. Smacking them would make me feel better, and I won't deny that I sometimes fantasize about it, but it's unlikely to correct the root cause of the problem, which is a total lack of empathy.

I find it best to never rely on another human being's inherent goodness or sense of compassion without first seeing evidence that one has been trained in.

Fixed that for you.  Unfortunately, too many don't grow out of it. 

I also can't help but think that this post is also an insightful explanation of how a certain U.S. Presidential major party nominee secured the nomination.  He's set things up so that-- at least in his eyes and the eyes of people who think like him-- he is playing a game in which he almost can't lose, regardless of how his opponents respond.  It's actually impressive in an disturbing sort of way. 

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1658 on: August 10, 2016, 07:12:52 AM »
I do the long silent stare right at the person, no facial expression (or a slight old-school Clint Eastwood squint) then turn away and talk to someone else. My fave for FIL who is generally known as an asshole, I do a shorter stare and low mirthless chuckle while looking in his eyes. Then I turn away. I try to think something like, "Sad sad sick man." Helps me realize he IS sick that he has to be that way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:15:55 AM by Basenji »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1659 on: August 10, 2016, 08:10:14 AM »
I do the long silent stare right at the person, no facial expression

I agree. There are too many amazing people in this world that I simply just don't care to associate unnecessary with assholes. So whenever I get in the situation I'll just look at them with no expression, sometimes I might give a quick nod, but I avoid saying anything, and find that this says all that needs to be said. In the past I felt a need to rebut the person, because nearly always they were wrong, but now I just don't care. People that make brash statements automatically KNOW that they are right and aren't looking for alternative viewpoints, so it's not worth me wasting my time on them. Much happier this way.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1660 on: August 10, 2016, 09:32:11 AM »

I agree. There are too many amazing people in this world that I simply just don't care to associate unnecessary with assholes. So whenever I get in the situation I'll just look at them with no expression, sometimes I might give a quick nod, but I avoid saying anything, and find that this says all that needs to be said. In the past I felt a need to rebut the person, because nearly always they were wrong, but now I just don't care. People that make brash statements automatically KNOW that they are right and aren't looking for alternative viewpoints, so it's not worth me wasting my time on them. Much happier this way.
Years ago at Sea World one of the trainers explained the Least Reinforcing Scenario technique (or Least Reinforcing Stimulus).  I wonder how well it works on humans.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1661 on: August 10, 2016, 09:33:27 AM »

Years ago at Sea World one of the trainers explained the Least Reinforcing Scenario technique (or Least Reinforcing Stimulus).  I wonder how well it works on humans.

More details pls

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1662 on: August 10, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »
Fixed that for you.  Unfortunately, too many don't grow out of it. 

They can be trained out of it, just not once they get significant real money or power.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: August 10, 2016, 11:11:35 AM »
Depending on the child, and how I can expect the parents to react (or not react), I have on occasions given the child a calm and serene lecture about proper behaviour. And by calm, I mean just as calm as if I was explaining differential mathematics, with explanations about the how and why, and suggestions about which philosophers to read up on (or TV series to watch). I have some experience from teaching sex ed in junior high, so it takes quite a lot to disrupt my "teaching face". On one side of my family, and in the neighbourhood where we used to live, it is common that adult relatives help raise the children, so I could probably ground the child and get backing from the parent without any questions asked. But some parents are clueless, and protect their precious ones from all hints of negativity. Those children can not be thaught, only shown.

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #1664 on: August 10, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
My BIL is buying a new RV with an indoor cabin for his motorcycles so he can start enjoying life and the outdoors. He moved to a country town 2 years ago from the city to enjoy the outdoors. His family has 2 quads, 2 motorcycles, a customized jeep, a customized truck, and other toys I probably can't even remember.  Every time they have cash they burn it. He also works 60+ hours a week to pay the bills. My SO advised against the RV because they just refinanced their credit card debt into their mortgage...for a second time since they bought the house.  BIL responded they did that to save money,  they weren't in a pinch or anything.  Um, you had $20k cc debt from two years, yes you were in a pinch.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1665 on: August 10, 2016, 12:12:14 PM »
Guava reminded me of a statement I've heard from family, friends, co-workers, something like this:
"If you are making the minimum monthly payments on your auto/education loan/credit card balance, you aren't in debt. Debt is that additional balance that you don't have money to make a payment on."

Meanwhile I consider my outstanding house mortgage to be deep-doo-doo-debt. Obviously I don't look at the world through the same tinted lenses as everyone does.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1666 on: August 10, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »

Meanwhile I consider my outstanding house mortgage to be deep-doo-doo-debt. Obviously I don't look at the world through the same tinted lenses as everyone does.

Yup! I pay extra towards my mortgage, but I know I'll need to step up payments because I won't consider myself FIREd until my house is fully paid for.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1667 on: August 10, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »
"If you are making the minimum monthly payments on your auto/education loan/credit card balance, you aren't in debt. Debt is that additional balance that you don't have money to make a payment on."

What?  Really?  Only someone making money off of interest payments would educate people that the above is not debt.

You maybe haven't defaulted on your debt but you are still in debt. Or people who have "no credit card debt" because they consolidated it somewhere else.

Actually, I knew someone who had a huge line of Credit on his house but boasted that he had "no mortgage".  The LoC was to purchase the house and they were making interest only payments.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1668 on: August 10, 2016, 01:17:05 PM »

Unfortunately a lot of people think this way.  If they are making the minimum payments they consider themselves "good with money".

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1669 on: August 10, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »

Unfortunately a lot of people think this way.  If they are making the minimum payments they consider themselves "good with money".
Exactly. What used to be an exception is now the new normal. And that which was the norm is the new exception.
We, MMMers, are bloody fucking statistical outliers.
Everlasting bastards, idiots! (H/T to @AphricanApe06)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1670 on: August 10, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »

The brain. It broke.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1671 on: August 10, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »

The brain. It broke.

Oh dear. Minimum payments... just enough for lenders to make a killing, big enough to have some semblance of "you are still paying down the balance so all is roses" effect on the psyche.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1672 on: August 11, 2016, 06:14:40 AM »
Went to University with someone who would ignore small purchases on her credit card until "they got large enough to deal with"!!!   And she was taking Education!  Not sure if she ended up teaching...really hope she didn't teach math.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1673 on: August 11, 2016, 07:10:09 AM »
Oh dear. Minimum payments... just enough for lenders to make a killing, big enough to have some semblance of "you are still paying down the balance so all is roses" effect on the psyche.

Hey, with minimum payments you too can make $60K and spend like you make $200K...

...for a while...

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #1674 on: August 11, 2016, 07:19:32 AM »
My BIL is buying a new RV with an indoor cabin for his motorcycles so he can start enjoying life and the outdoors. He moved to a country town 2 years ago from the city to enjoy the outdoors. His family has 2 quads, 2 motorcycles, a customized jeep, a customized truck, and other toys I probably can't even remember.  Every time they have cash they burn it. He also works 60+ hours a week to pay the bills. My SO advised against the RV because they just refinanced their credit card debt into their mortgage...for a second time since they bought the house.  BIL responded they did that to save money,  they weren't in a pinch or anything.  Um, you had $20k cc debt from two years, yes you were in a pinch.

After a long conversation, SO has talked him into delaying the purchase at least...for now. I expect BIL to not mention it to us next time when he actually does buy it because we are joy killers *evil laugh*

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1675 on: August 14, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »
My brother is down for a few days. My mother plans that we'll go to a breakfast restaurant tomorrow. I suggest that we go to my house instead. I can cook a wicked breakfast and for the cost of 10$ or less I could feed the five of us. I only gave the former as a reason but honestly the latter was the reason I brought it up. My mother, who is almost 50 and work 60 hours a week, will insist that she pays tomorrow. :( I love her dearly but I wish I could be more of a help.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1676 on: August 14, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »

Or my friend who never fails to let me know how much she saves on sale prices.
She outs in all on her charge card which carries a large balance. At one time she was paying  around 19% but  think  it is less now.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1677 on: August 15, 2016, 04:40:30 AM »

She outs in all on her charge card which carries a large balance. At one time she was paying  around 19% but  think  it is less now.

I become a grammar nazi when people do that. One only saves on sales if they had the intention of buying something beforehand or in the future. For example, if I'm planning on buying peanut butter and I just so happen to notice that they have a sale on peanut butter as I walk down the isle then that means I'm saving. But if someone just goes out shopping because there is a sale, they aren't technically saving because they had no intention of buying things beforehand. They are merely making purchases.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1678 on: August 15, 2016, 06:48:43 AM »

The DW and I are serious RVers. We have an older motorhome that we paid cash for, and we live in it 60-75% of the year.  One thing I have learned in the last 15 yrs of doing this is that RVs can really bring out the worst in decision making in a lot of people. We have older friends who just bought the motorhome you are referring to, it's called a "toy hauler".  They bought a new motorhome about four years ago. It was very similar to ours. Ours was seven years old, with low mileage, and had been obsessively cared for. We paid $44K. They bought a new one and paid $106K. They put $30K down and took out a mortgage on the balance. I use the word "mortgage" for a reason. The "car loan" on these things is absurd. They are typically for twenty years. Twenty years for a home is understandable, twenty for a poorly built box on wheels that falls apart and depreciates at an alarming rate, not so much.  In shopping for used RVs you constantly hit deals that would be great, but the owner can't get the numbers in the reasonable range, since they have a 20 yr mortgage on the thing. It's now six or seven years old, and they owe a LOT more than it's actually worth. Our friends decided that they  "need" the toy hauler to load with motorcycles, and still be able to pull a car behind. They find a 2016 for about $125K. It's built by one of the giant mega-corp RV manufacturers, and compared to their current one, an absolute piece of shit. Truly horrid quality, and a really unusable interior. Very little "living" space, no couch, no actual closets, etc..... They get roughly $60K on the trade, which barely covers the loan, then get a mortgage on the new one. WTF?  In reality they borrowed 100% of the sale price for this POS. They will have lost at least $35-40K by this time next year!!!

This is far from unusual behavior.

We ended up at an RV show this past winter.  We usually go alone, but traveled with a handful of couples from the resort we were at. Two of the couples had fifth wheel trailers that were less than a year old. Both were fairly expensive rigs
 ($60-80K) and made by well regarded, privately held, smaller manufacturers.  Both wifes were dying to upgrade to bigger, fancier models. A recent facebook post revealed that one couple traded their perfectly nice, quality rig in, for a bigger, "blingier" POS with a lot more bells ans whistles. We were also with a couple who is far more mustashian. They have an older rig, it's now worn pretty hard, and it would be nice to replace. They shopped hard at the show, and decided that taking $40K, or more, out of savings, to upgrade, doesn't really have to happen yet.  None of this is unusual, big loans for  quickly depreciating liabilities, and swapping them out like you change clothes is what keeps the industry breaking sales records lately. It's hard to image how many people will work until they drop dead, since they "needed" a fancy RV.

My old neighbor has been drooling over ever RV I owned for the last fifteen years.  He works at least six days a week in a horrible job in the trucking industry. His wife is a school lunch lady. They can't get away at all during the school year. In the summers, they have roughly ten Wednesdays where he is off for the day, and they can enjoy a day together.  Last year he buys an older, but decent $20K motorhome. They have no savings. They use their HELOC.  They take a one week vacation in the RV.  This became the one, and only, time they used the thing. This year he trades it in for a new $80K motorhome. He takes an $8K loss on the trade in. The new one is a shit brand, low end piece of junk that will depreciate like a rock, and fall apart.  His logic is that he needs to do this deal before he retires, and still has the income necessary to qualify for the loan. They recently took their one week vacation in the new rig. They both hope to retire in the next year or two. Zero savings,  she has no pension, he has a small pension from an old teamsters union trucking job. I really doubt that they are going to make it.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1679 on: August 15, 2016, 08:27:06 AM »
Thank you PaddedHat. I always wondered how people afford RVs. 20 year loans... Amazing...

I decided if we ever wanted an RV or boat I would not even consider it unless we had some sort of structure to park it in.

Lots of those sitting around here with covers (or not) just weathering away and getting used infrequently.

For my family I think a better solution would be a pop-up camper or a variation of an Aussie "expedition" trailer. For me, easier to imagine affording a building (shed, barn, carport, etc) to park it in b/c it is smaller.

Have fun with the RV. They look like at of fun. My friends have fifth-wheel trailers that they buy used for $6K, fix up, use for a few years and resell.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1680 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:53 AM »

I become a grammar nazi when people do that. One only saves on sales if they had the intention of buying something beforehand or in the future. For example, if I'm planning on buying peanut butter and I just so happen to notice that they have a sale on peanut butter as I walk down the isle then that means I'm saving. But if someone just goes out shopping because there is a sale, they aren't technically saving because they had no intention of buying things beforehand. They are merely making purchases.

*aisle

/grammar nazi

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1681 on: August 15, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
About eighteen years ago, I met a relative on my father's side who was RV'ing around with his wife. They were an elderly couple, retired, and living the good life from all appearances. They kind of dropped in on me, having gotten my address from someone or another.

These folks had a gigantic motorhome. I got to see the inside of it, and it was jaw-dropping. Plush carpets, leather reclining seats, stainless steel kitchenette, and every luxury I could imagine including an early flat-screen TV. It had almost as much indoor space as a small condo and was the nicest motorhome I'd ever seen. It was basically a yacht with wheels.

They explained to me that they'd sold their home and that this was their house now. They were full-time RV'ers who traveled around and had no fixed address. The lifestyle-- I wasn't aware of the downsides at the time-- seemed so awesome to me that I fantasized about doing something similar for a good five years afterwards. It seemed like a reasonable thing to do, and without the expenses of a house or apartment, I thought the higher costs of maintenance on the RV could be manageable for people who'd already earned financial independence. These two came across as a hardworking, frugal couple who'd had a rough life early on but who were now enjoying the benefits of years of hard work and sacrifice. Sort of a Horatio Alger wet dream. The RV in question was pretty swanky and more luxurious than my apartment, but I thought: who cares, if they can afford it and it's what they want?

As much as I liked this couple's idea of full-time RV, I just couldn't warm up to the guy. He behaved like an asshole unless he was around someone he was trying to impress. He wasn't trying to impress me, so I naturally decided he was a prick. My parents thought he was the bee's knees. To them, he really was considerate, courteous, and sincere. Those images are pretty different. I only trust people who are the same people all the time: they might have layers to them and take a while to show all of who they are until they get to know you better, but they don't turn off and on like a light switch. People who do can suck my scythe. When I saw him buttering up my parents, I tried to cut him off at the knees, but it didn't work.

My parents started to get pretty cozy with this couple, despite my warnings, and they did their very best to make me change my mind. They truly didn't believe me, but then they never do when what I tell them differs from what they see or want to believe. "This guy is up to something," I'd tell them. "He's only being nice because he wants something from you. I don't know what, but it's going to be big." I continued to be polite to him (no point in both of us being assholes), but didn't jump on the bandwagon and continued to warn my parents that the guy was Up To Something.

Anyway, after about six months of buttering up, the guy asked my dad for an obscene amount of money (think six figures). Despite being retired and living on a fixed income they weren't actually financially independent, and they'd gone deeply in debt to buy the travel trailer. They hadn't been able to make the payments on it and were about to lose it for that reason, at which point they'd be homeless. Well, my parents hemmed, hawed, and decided not to give it to him. At that point a shitstorm began (classic tantrum behavior to get what a person wants or punish the person who's refusing to give). I sat back with popcorn and a hearty "I told you so."

Obviously this doesn't reflect the behavior of any of the RV'ers on this board. Nor does it keep me from sometimes occasionally fantasizing about taking off with my favorite bird and leaving it all behind. Maybe when my daughter's grown I'll do that.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1682 on: August 15, 2016, 10:10:23 AM »
Anyway, after about six months of buttering up, the guy asked my dad for an obscene amount of money (think six figures). Despite being retired and living on a fixed income they weren't actually financially independent, and they'd gone deeply in debt to buy the travel trailer. They hadn't been able to make the payments on it and were about to lose it for that reason, at which point they'd be homeless. Well, my parents hemmed, hawed, and decided not to give it to him. At that point a shitstorm began (classic tantrum behavior to get what a person wants or punish the person who's refusing to give). I sat back with popcorn and a hearty "I told you so."
I'm curious--how did your parents react at this point in the story?  Did they give in, or did they hold fast?  Did they acknowledge that you had been right all along?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1683 on: August 15, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »
I still haven't decided on RE, but definitely on board with FI in the next ~10 years. I was discussing potential RE with my dad when he was visiting, and he was fairly impressed with the idea.  He subsequently mentioned to my aunt the possibility of me retiring by 45. Her response: "But what will she DO with all that time?" Another recruit for the Retirement Police, perhaps?

Not egregious by any means, but interesting. I haven't spoken to any of my relatives since Christmas (despite living in the same general area), and probably won't again until Thanksgiving, so I won't know if it's been mentioned to anyone else until then. It'll be interesting to find out if it has and what the various reactions will be.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1684 on: August 15, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
I'm curious--how did your parents react at this point in the story?  Did they give in, or did they hold fast?  Did they acknowledge that you had been right all along?

They didn't make the "loan".

My father was somewhat bemused by the whole thing since his social warfare skills are hit and miss. Back then I wasn't enough of a blip on his radar screen to justify commenting on whether I was right.

My mother (who was the one who'd taken the lead in trying to make me like the guy), grudgingly acknowledged that his conduct was disappointing and stopped trying to make me like the guy. For a master of social warfare (which she is), she gets spun a lot.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1685 on: August 15, 2016, 01:37:58 PM »
There are so many very little used RV's around that it is stupid to ever buy a new one. People find out they don't enjoy it or one partner gets sick etc and they quit using it. We bought one built in 1993 and in 2008 it had 37k miles on it and we bought it for 14k.  We actually have used it very little and only have insurance on it during the summer and early fall.  Last year we took a month trip and had a few things happen like a hose disconnected from the refrigerator causing a flood, etc. We had it checked out and fixed things before we left. So we are parked to a couple with a brand new one that cost 121k.  They tell us they sold their older one because of stuff that started to happen and with thir new one the same types of things are happening.  Now they are sorry they upgraded.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1686 on: August 15, 2016, 02:19:45 PM »
My ex's mom (we'll just call her MIL since ex and I were engaged) had a few moments that made me facepalm so hard.  To start off, she is divorced but gets alimony in the amount of around $70k/year.  On top of that she was working two jobs as a dental hygienist.

She consistently complained about never having any money.  One look around her house and it was clear where it all went.  So much useless crap.  She also paid way too much for her (admittedly modest) house and is still probably underwater on it.

I'll never forget one day I was over there, MIL asks me about 401k.  I assumed just to make sure I was saving.  No, she was asking me because she had 0 retirement savings and didn't know where to start!  Like, she was almost in tears.  I could not believe it.

I saw her daughter (my ex) with so many of those traits.  One of the reasons I left her.

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #1687 on: August 15, 2016, 05:26:17 PM »

Our friends decided that they  "need" the toy hauler to load with motorcycles, and still be able to pull a car behind. They find a 2016 for about $125K.

Wait, wait, wait. You are saying a toy hauler can be $125k? Like a really, really nice one, right?  Here SO and I thought $30k is how much they cost....I am now disgusted.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1688 on: August 15, 2016, 06:10:52 PM »

Our friends decided that they  "need" the toy hauler to load with motorcycles, and still be able to pull a car behind. They find a 2016 for about $125K.

Wait, wait, wait. You are saying a toy hauler can be $125k? Like a really, really nice one, right?  Here SO and I thought $30k is how much they cost....I am now disgusted.

Well, there are towable toy haulers and motorized ones. A really cheap, low end towable might get down as far as the $25-30k range, but that's really down there for a new one.  A lot of the fancy fifth wheel toy haulers list in the $90-120K+ range, and a typical discount is roughly 25% of MSRP. My buddy's new rig is a toy hauler motorhome that listed for the mid-$160s before the discount. So, next time you see some chucklenut blow past you on the highway with a new Superduty F350 Diesel, and a giant new fifth wheel toy hauler, it's a pretty good guess that they are in it for at least $125K, and often a LOT more. Like that one comedian always says, "you can't fix stupid".

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1689 on: August 15, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
There are so many very little used RV's around that it is stupid to ever buy a new one. People find out they don't enjoy it or one partner gets sick etc and they quit using it. We bought one built in 1993 and in 2008 it had 37k miles on it and we bought it for 14k.  We actually have used it very little and only have insurance on it during the summer and early fall.  Last year we took a month trip and had a few things happen like a hose disconnected from the refrigerator causing a flood, etc. We had it checked out and fixed things before we left. So we are parked to a couple with a brand new one that cost 121k. They tell us they sold their older one because of stuff that started to happen and with thir new one the same types of things are happening.  Now they are sorry they upgraded.
[/color]

Great advice, and something we follow. I want to drive our current rig into the ground, and can't see ever buying a new one to replace it. Ending up with a really troublesome RV, particularly a motorhome, is far from unusual, and probably pretty surprising to somebody who isn't involved in the hobby. Motorhomes are extremely complex and built in a manner that looks prehistoric, compared to modern vehicle assembly.  They can, and often do, leave the line with a huge amount of defects and poor workmanship. The new owner than gets the unenviable task of partnering with the dealership to repair, rebuilt and replace all the defective materials and shit workmanship. This can take months to years, and can result in the rig being returned to the factory, where a large shop is dedicated to fixing the crap they slam together. In some cases the owner ends up throwing the towel in, and giving up, to the point of liquidating the thing and leaving RVing for good. The rise of Mega-dealers and Mega-dealer chains, (camping world comes to mind) has made the problem even worse, as they tend to have difficulty recruiting and retaining qualified techs. and they  end up with horrible reputations for service, while charging obscene rates of $120-150 Hour to often screw things up worse than they found them.

Personally, I keep a large selection of tools on board and generally repair at least 95% of the issues that continually crop up. Without the skills and tools to fix almost everything, including plumbing, electrical, carpentry, refrigeration, etc..... I would of found a new hobby, long ago. The wife has had several single, older female friends who were giving some though to getting into RVing, typically wanting to start with a used, smaller motorhome. Once I review option A............................ spend a few grand on tools, and learning how to DIY everything, or option B.................... wait your turn at the repair shop, often waiting for weeks to actually get work done, than pay at least $120/hr to somebody that may, or may not, actually get it right the first time, they end up far less enthused.

Yep, this is one passion that's right up there with owning horses, racing cars, and buying boats, when it comes to writing your own personal book titled, "stupid things I wasted money on".

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1690 on: August 15, 2016, 06:37:22 PM »

This part suprises me in so many ways. Off the top of my head, here is what surprises me:

• Who asks for a six figure gift/loan?
  • Considering they couldn't make the payments on the RV, that six figure thing would have been a gift not a loan; they already couldn't service the existing loan.
  • Who asks for a six figure gift in cash? Modesty fella.
  • Who gets upset when someone doesn't give them a six figure cash gift? Unless your parents showed them account balances, for all he knew your parent could have had less money than him and been unable to in the first place.
  • Who gets upset when someone doesn't give them a six figure cash gift? Even if your parents show them account balances, its there money and they have no obligation to give it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1691 on: August 15, 2016, 08:07:41 PM »

I'll never forget one day I was over there, MIL asks me about 401k.  I assumed just to make sure I was saving.  No, she was asking me because she had 0 retirement savings and didn't know where to start!  Like, she was almost in tears.  I could not believe it.

I saw her daughter (my ex) with so many of those traits.  One of the reasons I left her.

I have the same fears in a mate as well, and unfortunately too many people don't have any retirement savings. a friend of mine asked a few months ago for advice on setting up an ira, "It's time I start investing for retirement," she said and I did a good job biting my tongue as she was 33 at the time.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1692 on: August 15, 2016, 08:11:18 PM »

This part suprises me in so many ways. Off the top of my head, here is what surprises me:

• Considering they couldn't make the payments on the RV, that six figure thing would have been a gift not a loan; they already couldn't service the existing loan.
  • Who gets upset when someone doesn't give them a six figure cash gift? Unless your parents showed them account balances, for all he knew your parent could have had less money than him and been unable to in the first place.
  • Who gets upset when someone doesn't give them a six figure cash gift? Even if your parents show them account balances, its there money and they have no obligation to give it.

• That relative, who I think I mentioned was an asshole. Assholes do things like that. It's in their nature.
  • True. The obvious math was obvious, and noted by all.
  • See #1. The play was actually quite sophisticated. He established an emotional rapport, a pattern of giving so as to stimulate reciprocity, and then started the moocher equivalent of crying like a baby to get the breast to release its nutriment.
  • A person trying to manipulate or punish another to get what he wants will frequently throw a tantrum. It goes back to that "asshole" situation I mentioned earlier. He'd also become quite close to my parents, exchanging confidences and whatnot, and was able to make some guesses about the resources that might be available to him if he could just latch on and start sucking. The thing that astounded me is that my folks briefly considered giving him at least something to help with payments toward the yacht-on-wheels, because they were that attached to him due to his manipulative crap.
  • Someone who, at some point, successfully used a tantrum and social pressure to get what he wanted. On the plus side, he cut my parents off and is not speaking to them anymore. I consider that a success.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1693 on: August 15, 2016, 09:15:13 PM »

• That relative, who I think I mentioned was an asshole. Assholes do things like that. It's in their nature.
  • True. The obvious math was obvious, and noted by all.
  • See #1. The play was actually quite sophisticated. He established an emotional rapport, a pattern of giving so as to stimulate reciprocity, and then started the moocher equivalent of crying like a baby to get the breast to release its nutriment.
  • A person trying to manipulate or punish another to get what he wants will frequently throw a tantrum. It goes back to that "asshole" situation I mentioned earlier. He'd also become quite close to my parents, exchanging confidences and whatnot, and was able to make some guesses about the resources that might be available to him if he could just latch on and start sucking. The thing that astounded me is that my folks briefly considered giving him at least something to help with payments toward the yacht-on-wheels, because they were that attached to him due to his manipulative crap.
  • Someone who, at some point, successfully used a tantrum and social pressure to get what he wanted. On the plus side, he cut my parents off and is not speaking to them anymore. I consider that a success.

I have to imagine a parallel world where the distant relative couple, because you describe that they looked well off, what they would have done if your parents would have popped the question to them ("can you give me a 100K cash gift?") and then flipped out on them if they didn't provide it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1694 on: August 15, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »
I have to imagine a parallel world where the distant relative couple, because you describe that they looked well off, what they would have done if your parents would have popped the question to them ("can you give me a 100K cash gift?") and then flipped out on them if they didn't provide it.

Flipped the script, you mean? I'd have paid to watch that. It would have been hilarious but who in the world could keep a straight face while doing that? Should they have waited for the umpteen-dollar question first, or should they have made a preemptive strike?

I'm stealing your idea for social warfare in the future. I know just the target; someone's about to ask me for a Really Big Favor, and I don't mean the sexual kind. I'd give them that for free, provided the appropriate protection was available, except I'm out of F-bombs through the end of this month.

What will you name this technique? You invented it. Give it a name.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1695 on: August 15, 2016, 11:09:27 PM »

Flipped the script, you mean? I'd have paid to watch that. It would have been hilarious but who in the world could keep a straight face while doing that? Should they have waited for the umpteen-dollar question first, or should they have made a preemptive strike?

I'm stealing your idea for social warfare in the future. I know just the target; someone's about to ask me for a Really Big Favor, and I don't mean the sexual kind. I'd give them that for free, provided the appropriate protection was available, except I'm out of F-bombs through the end of this month.

Preemptive of course. Ideally as close as possible to when they would ask. The sentence before would be optimal but the more conservative minded may not want to play on such a razor fine edge.

I've named a human before and bridge techniques yet you catch me off guard here. After some thought, Favour Reversal seems like an appropriate name. 'Favour' spelled the Canadian way because mate should wanna be polite eh aboot ruinning a hoser's plan to swindle ye eh.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1696 on: August 15, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »

Preemptive of course. Ideally as close as possible to when they would ask. The sentence before would be optimal but the more conservative minded may not want to play on such a razor fine edge.

I've named a human before and bridge techniques yet you catch me off guard here. After some thought, Favour Reversal seems like an appropriate name. 'Favour' spelled the Canadian way because mate should wanna be polite eh aboot ruinning a hoser's plan to swindle ye eh.

Y'all are a hoot!  Excellent job naming this maneuver, kayvent.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1697 on: August 16, 2016, 07:18:13 AM »
My aunt who I have mentioned before in this thread asked my late grandmother for $64000 to keep the nice aforementioned condo she was forced to move from so it doesn't surprise me.  Same aunt who ended up moving in with Grandma and making her miserable.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #1698 on: August 20, 2016, 07:37:57 PM »
My family visited this week, and left this morning.  I'm now officially scared for my sister's future and fear she and her future husband will be featured here again .....

Husband to be has been in the picture for years, but I don't live near the rest of my family, so I don't know him well.  Sister has dated him for years and the two of them actually got officially engaged this week.

Future BIL is broke...knew that.  What I didn't know is that he is seriously in the hole too.  Has been a college student for 6ish years, theater degree (love theater, but I know how hard it will be to get jobs!), and has a year left still.  Future BIL has taken out nearly 60 thousand dollars in student loans, and isn't shy about sharing this fact.  In front of everyone in my home, he called an aunt and discussed her covering his auto insurance payment until NEXT MONTH because he couldn't afford the payment this month.  He and my sister talk about losing weight and buying expensive health supplements, but he also buys diet sodas, junk food, and eats out regularly.  While they were here future BIL actually asked my husband to cover a box of cold medicine for him (he started feeling sickly while in town), and my sister paid for it because my husband had already covered their ice cream/treats out the two nights before.  They are planning on marrying in May and asked my husband and I how much to expect my parents to contribute to the wedding.  Um, newsflash -- our parents contributed nothing but tux money and dress money to our siblings for my husband's and my wedding, we covered the rest ourselves.  My parents paid for a new laptop for my sister, even though she makes plenty of money.  She almost can't pay for her classes each semester, even though she lives at home and has almost no living expenses.  She and future BIL eat out all the time and spend money on legos and cute crap instead of school classes or saving for a replacement laptop when hers was obviously dying for 9 months. 

Its frightening...  My sister was always the most spendy of the siblings, but doesn't have debt (yet) from her schooling.  She almost failed to save for her classes (as noted) and my parents created an account in their name that they force her to give them money to fund each semester so she doesn't have to take school loans.  She seems perfectly ok with her future husband's horrible spending habits, and even more shockingly, my normally semi-frugal parents seem to at least be semi-enabling them.  They judge future BIL spending on junk, but have apparently bought him a mattress, bought my sister a laptop, and do the budgeting for my sister so that she has money for school.  They think they are helping, but I'm confidant their "help" isn't actually teaching either of these two anything at all! 

I'm concerned they will be the topic of future posts..... :(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:40:11 PM by alewpanda »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1699 on: August 20, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »
I'm concerned they will be the topic of future posts..... :(

Uh oh, they probably will be!  How old are your sister and future BIL?  Is your sister the baby of the family?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!