Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3478815 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #850 on: January 23, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »
My old Frenchie was a champion and came from the premier line of cream Frenchies, Herschal Cox's line.  she was bred before this French Bulldog fad hit the country, and she was a sturdy little thing. I would not t buy a Frenchie today.

Agreed.  I always adopt regardless, but the pug and French bulldog thing seems so sad. They already seem like such high risk breeds to breed (c sections and breathing problems and hip problems), and when it's done poorly it seems so tragic.  I will say, I've never come across a bad-tempered Frenchie, so that's something.   

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #851 on: January 23, 2016, 08:43:16 AM »
My old Frenchie was a champion and came from the premier line of cream Frenchies, Herschal Cox's line.  she was bred before this French Bulldog fad hit the country, and she was a sturdy little thing. I would not t buy a Frenchie today.

Agreed.  I always adopt regardless, but the pug and French bulldog thing seems so sad. They already seem like such high risk breeds to breed (c sections and breathing problems and hip problems), and when it's done poorly it seems so tragic.  I will say, I've never come across a bad-tempered Frenchie, so that's something.
If we were in the room with you DH andI would simultaneously lift our pantlegs to show you bite scars. One of the oldster Frenchies, the smallest one who was cute as a bug, developed crabby pants syndrome as ahe aged.

I homestly think they arent very smart and are not nearly as sweet as the English bulldogs.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: January 23, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »
If we were in the room with you DH andI would simultaneously lift our pantlegs to show you bite scars.

Wow!  I guess they are small dogs... I have a 28" 100# airedale, and in my experience, he is always the most tolerant/chill dog at the dog park, unless there's a newfie or great dane around.  Our neighbors have a tiny pug and bruxelles griffon that my dog is so terrified of he will back himself up the stairs to get away from them. 

Maybe when any dog becomes a fad you get more bad temperamented animals.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #853 on: January 24, 2016, 06:51:56 AM »
I really can't imagine an evening wedding without alcohol, even if I don't drink any

I went to one. It was grim.

Oh man, dry weddings. There's a branch of my family that sees drinking as a character flaw, so I've been to a few. Grim is the word.

I had a dry wedding, but it was more "we couldn't afford booze" than any religious/cultural thing.  Plus I got married at eleven in the morning and unless it's a tailgate there's no booze before noon in my family.  :D

My husband and I had a somewhat dry wedding - it was on a Sunday and we didn't have a dance...just ceremony followed by dinner. Wine was served with dinner. Apparently this wasn't enough for some of my in-laws, who tailgated in the parking lot. AT MY WEDDING!!!!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #854 on: January 24, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »

My husband and I had a somewhat dry wedding - it was on a Sunday and we didn't have a dance...just ceremony followed by dinner. Wine was served with dinner. Apparently this wasn't enough for some of my in-laws, who tailgated in the parking lot. AT MY WEDDING!!!!

Yeah I fear that would happen if my wedding was a dry wedding. I know the last dry wedding in my family, a ton of people went to a bar between the ceremony and the reception (the father of the groom included) and then everyone kept bottles at their car and would duck out to refill them every so often.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #855 on: January 24, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »

I really can't imagine an evening wedding without alcohol, even if I don't drink any

Oh man, dry weddings. There's a branch of my family that sees drinking as a character flaw, so I've been to a few. Grim is the word.

I had a dry wedding, but it was more "we couldn't afford booze" than any religious/cultural thing.  Plus I got married at eleven in the morning and unless it's a tailgate there's no booze before noon in my family.  :D

This is really common at dry weddings in our area. I've been to a wedding where half the people spent a good chunk of time in the parking lot. It was awful.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #856 on: January 24, 2016, 02:07:01 PM »

My dear, wine with dinner is not a dry wedding in my book. Thats all I ask, iwine and beer at a wedding reception where I am held captive  for HOURS. Yours was fine!

Some years ago we attended out of state weddings the same month for DH's neices.. Both were dry, truly dry, no wine, no beer.

That is the last wedding I attended on his side. He's had a few more, and he tells me that they had some alcohol offered, but whatever, I wont risk it again. And while I admit it is boorish of me to expect a little alcohol (hell, I will even pay for it!) thats the realty of my social needs.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #857 on: January 24, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »
Weird, the idea of a dry wedding has never occurred to me.

Not that it doesn't make sense, just that I assumed that there was always at least a toast or something.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #858 on: January 24, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »
Some people choose not to serve alcohol because they are in recovery or close family members are, etc. My Grandma had an alcoholic father so actually ended up  having to sell their restaurant when the new highway no longer went by their place rather then serve alcohol. She just could not bring herself to serve alcohol.  Her sister also had one and choose the opposite route and made lots of $.  I prefer wine or beer too but will still attend if it is dry.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #859 on: January 25, 2016, 06:03:52 AM »
While I was spending time with my mother yesterday for our bi-weekly Sunday dinner (I alternate between parents on my one guaranteed day off/in town), she mentioned that she wants a truck. She currently has a relatively new ford fusion that she bought used that has less than 150,000 miles on it. Her thought was "once I pay that off, I'm going to get a truck and your little sister (currently 14) can use the fusion to drive around until she saves up enough for her own car."
I asked why she would enter into new debt as a means of celebrating getting out of one form of debt. Her response? "Because I want a truck." I guess part of her logic is that having a 4x4 truck will somehow make driving in the, like, 3 days of snow we get a year safer (although she has yet to have any problems whatsoever in her fwd family sedan).
I proposed that it would be cheaper to get a used $2000  beater on craigslist for my sister's first car as opposed to entering into another $30k minimum of debt for a truck, at which point she told me that she can't afford a $2000 car and it's too much hassle to find one online safe enough for my sister to drive.
The fusion is a pretty large car. I mean, it's a full-sized family sedan. The chances of a first time driver being in a collision go up exponentially in larger cars.
There is really no reasoning with this woman. I'm tempted to get a cheap car off craigslist and go through the typical safety inspections and just leave it at her house with a note "now you don't need to waste money on a gas guzzler that you will get zero utility out of" but I think taking away her excuse to waste her money might ruffle some feathers.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: January 25, 2016, 07:14:34 AM »
While I was spending time with my mother yesterday for our bi-weekly Sunday dinner (I alternate between parents on my one guaranteed day off/in town), she mentioned that she wants a truck. She currently has a relatively new ford fusion that she bought used that has less than 150,000 miles on it. Her thought was "once I pay that off, I'm going to get a truck and your little sister (currently 14) can use the fusion to drive around until she saves up enough for her own car."
I asked why she would enter into new debt as a means of celebrating getting out of one form of debt. Her response? "Because I want a truck." I guess part of her logic is that having a 4x4 truck will somehow make driving in the, like, 3 days of snow we get a year safer (although she has yet to have any problems whatsoever in her fwd family sedan).
I proposed that it would be cheaper to get a used $2000  beater on craigslist for my sister's first car as opposed to entering into another $30k minimum of debt for a truck, at which point she told me that she can't afford a $2000 car and it's too much hassle to find one online safe enough for my sister to drive.
The fusion is a pretty large car. I mean, it's a full-sized family sedan. The chances of a first time driver being in a collision go up exponentially in larger cars.
There is really no reasoning with this woman. I'm tempted to get a cheap car off craigslist and go through the typical safety inspections and just leave it at her house with a note "now you don't need to waste money on a gas guzzler that you will get zero utility out of" but I think taking away her excuse to waste her money might ruffle some feathers.

It's sad, but her wants are going to override all the logical arguments you can come up with.

soupcxan

• Stubble
« Reply #861 on: January 25, 2016, 07:25:53 AM »
The chances of a first time driver being in a collision go up exponentially in larger cars.

Do you have a source for this claim?

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #862 on: January 25, 2016, 07:37:47 AM »

It's sad, but her wants are going to override all the logical arguments you can come up with.

This. Especially considering this:

she told me that she can't afford a $2000 car buuuut...she can afford a $30,000 truck?!?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #863 on: January 25, 2016, 10:00:29 AM »
she told me that she can't afford a $2000 car buuuut...she can afford a $30,000 truck?!?

"I have no cash for Mc Donalds, but the nice french place downtown takes credit cards, lets go there."
"I never have cash for the laundry mat so I financed a new washer/dryer."
JordanOfGilead - it might be a fun game inserting these into conversation with your mom :-p

Would a cc cash advance be best for her to get something off CL, as dumb as it is 2000$ on a cc might be better than a 30k auto loan? 

math:
30k auto loan for 4 years at 3%, 664$/month: 1900$ in interest paid over the life of the loan
2k CC at 20% paying 664$/mon: 70$ in interest paid over four months

But yeah none of that matters if she is determined to get a new truck, logic does not enter into it.

Bumperpuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #864 on: January 25, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »
Though not about family, this seemed like an appropriate place to put my story.  My housemate has no money sense.  They earn $120k per year, depending on their overtime, and live in a moderate cost of living area.  The expenses I know of are 10k/year for child support, 50K truck (bought on credit) which is their 3rd vehicle in 2 years, 20K in credit card debt, 10k/year for rent/utilities.

The rest of the money must go to taxes, toys, travel, and stupid stuff.  The memorable purchase was the 4 copies of the same popular classic novel so that they could have one to read at home, one to keep at work, the e-book for their phone, and the leather bound collector’s edition.  Then there was the $500 on the bike that never left the house.   They’ve also spent a bunch of money for gym equipment when they work literally across the street from a gym they could go to for free.

I recently overhear them talking to a team-mate in an online FPS about their job and salary.  “I’m not rich, sure I make more, but I have a lot of expenses”.  The old, I don't have money because I spend it all excuse.

I give them no sympathy since I have the same living situation and get by quite well spending about 20K/year.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #865 on: January 25, 2016, 11:28:07 AM »
The memorable purchase was the 4 copies of the same popular classic novel so that they could have one to read at home, one to keep at work, the e-book for their phone, and the leather bound collector’s edition.  Then there was the $500 on the bike that never left the house.   

Are the page numbers the same in every copy, including the e-book? Because if not, that's the stupidest effing thing I've heard all month.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #866 on: January 25, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »
My husband is the youngest of three siblings and by far the one with his financial act most together. When his siblings had their kids (one each) we offered to open 529 accounts for each of them and put some money in. One sibling liked the idea and wanted to take us up on it. 4 years later, we still have not received that kid's SSN that is required to open the account. His second sibling's wife rejected our offer because she was sure that would mean her kid would be disqualified from scholarships. She insisted we give cash to her that she would keep under the mattress (not literally but just about). We, of course, weren't about to do anything of the kind. He offered again and when she rejected, he gave up, upset and disappointed.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #867 on: January 25, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »
The memorable purchase was the 4 copies of the same popular classic novel so that they could have one to read at home, one to keep at work, the e-book for their phone, and the leather bound collector’s edition.  Then there was the $500 on the bike that never left the house.   

Are the page numbers the same in every copy, including the e-book? Because if not, that's the stupidest effing thing I've heard all month.

Eh, I'm generally of the opinion that money spent on a book that you will cherish is money well spent. Even this isn't enough for me to change this rule of mine. I think it's funny, but I'm more curious as to what book this is that made such an impact on them. Personally though, I would just keep one papercopy, one leather-bound collector's version (if you're into that sort of thing, I'm not), and one ebook so that I have it wherever I am..a secondary copy of the office/home seems a little like overkill to me.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #868 on: January 25, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »

Eh, I'm generally of the opinion that money spent on a book that you will cherish is money well spent. Even this isn't enough for me to change this rule of mine. I think it's funny, but I'm more curious as to what book this is that made such an impact on them. Personally though, I would just keep one papercopy, one leather-bound collector's version (if you're into that sort of thing, I'm not), and one ebook so that I have it wherever I am..a secondary copy of the office/home seems a little like overkill to me.

Riiiiight... But you're reading it at the office and you get to page 96. You hop onto the train and turn to page 96 on your e-book but OH NOES! That's two chapters earlier because the pages are a different size!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #869 on: January 25, 2016, 02:47:11 PM »
My husband is the youngest of three siblings and by far the one with his financial act most together. When his siblings had their kids (one each) we offered to open 529 accounts for each of them and put some money in. One sibling liked the idea and wanted to take us up on it. 4 years later, we still have not received that kid's SSN that is required to open the account. His second sibling's wife rejected our offer because she was sure that would mean her kid would be disqualified from scholarships. She insisted we give cash to her that she would keep under the mattress (not literally but just about). We, of course, weren't about to do anything of the kind. He offered again and when she rejected, he gave up, upset and disappointed.

Consider opening a 529 for yourself. You'll need to look into it, but I am about 90% sure that they can be transferred penalty free to a niece/nephew. And that way they don't end up on their FAFSA at all.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #870 on: January 25, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »
There is that. Now that I have my own kid though I am just pouring my extra money into that account instead. I feel a little bad, but I have enough other things going on in life that saving for my nephews' college keeps ending up lower on the priority list.

Then again, maybe I should make that a priority since it seems that no one else is thinking of it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #871 on: January 25, 2016, 02:59:39 PM »

Riiiiight... But you're reading it at the office and you get to page 96. You hop onto the train and turn to page 96 on your e-book but OH NOES! That's two chapters earlier because the pages are a different size!

Google syncs across all devices now, even paper backs.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #872 on: January 25, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »

Not that it doesn't make sense, just that I assumed that there was always at least a toast or something.
I don't remember if there was a toast at mine, but if there was... hot apple cider. It was October.

For non-USians: cider in the US is by default non-alcoholic. We say "hard cider" if we mean the alcoholic kind. A kiwi asked me what's the difference between apple cider and apple juice, then, and as far as I've always known, cider is brown and opaque, while juice is yellow and completely clear.

Bumperpuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #873 on: January 25, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »

It's the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I don't know that he's ever read them, but maybe he has and it was a formative experience.  I'm all for buying books, and frequently do so myself. I even buy paper books rather than lease e-books. 

I believe that the copies bought for reading are the same edition with the same page numbering. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #874 on: January 25, 2016, 07:03:32 PM »

I don't remember if there was a toast at mine, but if there was... hot apple cider. It was October.

For non-USians: cider in the US is by default non-alcoholic. We say "hard cider" if we mean the alcoholic kind. A kiwi asked me what's the difference between apple cider and apple juice, then, and as far as I've always known, cider is brown and opaque, while juice is yellow and completely clear.

Apple cider is apple juice that hasn't been filtered (like orange juice with pulp) where apple juice is filtered (like pulp-free orange juice).

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #875 on: January 26, 2016, 07:38:21 AM »

Well that sucks. At least your heart is in the right place. :)

My brother and I both gifted each others kids $1,000 each when they were born. Both of us just stick them in the kid's saving accounts.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #876 on: January 26, 2016, 12:06:51 PM »

Apple cider is apple juice that hasn't been filtered (like orange juice with pulp) where apple juice is filtered (like pulp-free orange juice).

In addition, some people think "real" apple cider hasn't been pasteurized, or if it has it was "only" with the UV light, not with heat.  Heat changes the cider.  I don't know the specifics.  I sell cider once a year at a state event, and always get asked if it's "real" cider, and when I say it isn't (because it needs to be pasteurized to be sold at the state event) they ask if it was done by the light or heat.  Fortunately the farm that brings the cider makes a note for everyone so we know it was done with the light.    The more you  know. :p

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #877 on: January 26, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »

In addition, some people think "real" apple cider hasn't been pasteurized, or if it has it was "only" with the UV light, not with heat.  Heat changes the cider.  I don't know the specifics.  I sell cider once a year at a state event, and always get asked if it's "real" cider, and when I say it isn't (because it needs to be pasteurized to be sold at the state event) they ask if it was done by the light or heat.  Fortunately the farm that brings the cider makes a note for everyone so we know it was done with the light.    The more you  know. :p
Riiiiight... I will at some point need to learn to pasteurize. Or just stash a lot of cider in my chest freezer.  I planted apple trees a year ago :D  Don't have a cider press yet, but won't have apples for another couple years either.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #878 on: January 26, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »

Riiiiight... I will at some point need to learn to pasteurize. Or just stash a lot of cider in my chest freezer.  I planted apple trees a year ago :D  Don't have a cider press yet, but won't have apples for another couple years either.

Or make what the rest of the world refers to as cider! That's 'hard' cider. Ferment it, keg it, bottle it, consume it. Bad things do not like alcohol :D.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2016, 06:49:43 PM »
Bad things do not like alcohol :D.
Bad people, on the other hand.............. ;) xD

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #880 on: January 26, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »

Or make what the rest of the world refers to as cider! That's 'hard' cider. Ferment it, keg it, bottle it, consume it. Bad things do not like alcohol :D.
I'm teetotal.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »

I'm teetotal.
I also do not drink, but I cook with alcohol so I'd find a use for it :D.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2016, 08:52:01 PM »

I'm teetotal.
I've heard of cooking with apple cider vinegar, but actual hard cider? I've never seen a recipe call for that. I don't usually keep much (non-isopropyl) alcohol in the house, so mostly I put in broth where recipes call for it (I tried shopping for alcohol when I planned ahead once...had to be hilarious trying to find out how to buy 3 cups of white wine), though there's usually some rice wine in the cupboard for cooking.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: January 27, 2016, 12:23:01 AM »
I have a distant family member who is a "financial advisor". His father-in-law recently remarked that he is the only unsuccessful financial advisor he knows who is not doing well. This "FA" wants the easy life without hard work. Instead of gathering a client base and growing with them like every other financial advisor that we know, he constantly spends big money to chase the big fish. But the big fish don't want to talk with him or invest with him because he is a poser and a wannabe. They lost their house, moved back into an apartment, and now are back renting a house.  His wife is smart, works hard outside the home in a solid job, and takes care of the kids. Meanwhile he keeps chasing the big fish and posing. It's sad.

QueenAlice

• Bristles
  • QueenAlice, PhD
« Reply #884 on: January 27, 2016, 05:10:42 AM »

{Quotes like whoa}

I've heard of cooking with apple cider vinegar, but actual hard cider? I've never seen a recipe call for that. I don't usually keep much (non-isopropyl) alcohol in the house, so mostly I put in broth where recipes call for it (I tried shopping for alcohol when I planned ahead once...had to be hilarious trying to find out how to buy 3 cups of white wine), though there's usually some rice wine in the cupboard for cooking.

Delicious Recipe using Hard Cider. I usually make this with chicken thighs instead of pork chops because I always have chicken thighs in the freezer and I add potatoes.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #885 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:49 AM »

"I have no cash for Mc Donalds, but the nice french place downtown takes credit cards, lets go there."
"I never have cash for the laundry mat so I financed a new washer/dryer."
JordanOfGilead - it might be a fun game inserting these into conversation with your mom :-p

Would a cc cash advance be best for her to get something off CL, as dumb as it is 2000$ on a cc might be better than a 30k auto loan? 

math:
30k auto loan for 4 years at 3%, 664$/month: 1900$ in interest paid over the life of the loan
2k CC at 20% paying 664$/mon: 70$ in interest paid over four months

But yeah none of that matters if she is determined to get a new truck, logic does not enter into it.
Even though it would be more interest per month paid to get a cc advance, it's still less total expenditure and paid off in shorter time. And the bank that we both use gives personal loans with decently low rates (4-5%) for people with bad credit scores.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #886 on: January 28, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »
Even though it would be more interest per month paid to get a cc advance, it's still less total expenditure and paid off in shorter time. And the bank that we both use gives personal loans with decently low rates (4-5%) for people with bad credit scores.
Holy shit, what? I can't get under 10% with good credit at USAA.

Where's this?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: January 28, 2016, 12:35:06 PM »

Where's this?

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that they're giving unsecured personal loans for 4-5%, especially to people with bad credit.  My dad's credit union is offering 7-8% for people with great credit.  Hmmm.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #888 on: January 28, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »
I was offered 5% (I think) on an unsecured loan through Citi's private bank.  It's not out of the question for private banks, but I'm not sure that people with awful credit usually have access to those.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #889 on: January 28, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »

It's the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I don't know that he's ever read them, but maybe he has and it was a formative experience.  I'm all for buying books, and frequently do so myself. I even buy paper books rather than lease e-books. 

I believe that the copies bought for reading are the same edition with the same page numbering.

Oh dear :-) I was wondering who would do such a silly thing, until I read what book it was.
I have the Dutch version, the English version in 3 paperbacks, the English version in 7 pocket sized paperbacks to read in bed, and the ebook. I resisted the luxury bound edition as I would not be able to hold it, to heavy. But a struggle not to buy it, even so. It is the only book I have multiple versions of, well, plus The Hobbit in 4 versions as well (including illustrated and annotated version). If there ever is a book worth throwing silly money at, this one is it. So I applaud your relatives for money well spent :-)

By the way,  page numbers do not matter at all to me, I know where I am in a book based on the storyline (any book, never remember pagenumbers or use bookmarks)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #890 on: January 28, 2016, 02:55:05 PM »
I have, at last count, 5 copies of Lonesome Dove. One should be thrown away. 2 are hard covers that I got at garage sales--I bought the second because I didn't remember buying the first. The 2 paperbacks are placed strategically around the house for reading (i.e. the bathroom and my bedside table); the one that should be thrown away goes with me on trips in case the book I bring isn't actually good.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #891 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »
How many times have you read that book? @_@

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #892 on: January 28, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »
How many times have you read that book? @_@

Start to finish? About 7.

Just picking up and reading it? Who knows. Enough to have basically destroyed a paperback, and I am not hard on books at all.

I do that with that book, the Harry Potter series, and To Kill A Mockingbird--probably don't go more than 2 years without reading each of those (not the whole HP series though). I find something new each time.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #893 on: January 29, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
I have, at last count, 5 copies of Lonesome Dove. One should be thrown away. 2 are hard covers that I got at garage sales--I bought the second because I didn't remember buying the first. The 2 paperbacks are placed strategically around the house for reading (i.e. the bathroom and my bedside table); the one that should be thrown away goes with me on trips in case the book I bring isn't actually good.

That is such a good book. I should read it again. I do have only the one copy, ahem.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #894 on: January 29, 2016, 07:50:12 AM »

Where's this?
MainSource. It's a "local" bank to Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois. My wife got a 5-point-something % loan for $4000 to buy a used car with no credit.
To be fair though, I have decent credit and my wife and I have a joint account.
My mom also had pretty good credit when she opened her account at the bank, but I don't know if that would influence anything.
Still though, even if she can't get a loan for less than 20% interest, it would still be cheaper than a 30k truck with 0% interest.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:54:41 AM by JordanOfGilead »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #895 on: January 29, 2016, 08:08:35 AM »
My local CU's sig loans start at 6.99% fixed or 6.26% variable, for the best applicants. Interesting spread.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: January 29, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »

Where's this?
MainSource. It's a "local" bank to Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois. My wife got a 5-point-something % loan for $4000 to buy a used car with no credit.
My mom also had pretty good credit when she opened her account at the bank, but I don't know if that would influence anything.
Still though, even if she can't get a loan for less than 20% interest, it would still be cheaper than a 30k truck with 0% interest.

Ohhh, you meant a secured auto loan, not a personal loan.  Okay, that makes a lot more sense.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #897 on: January 29, 2016, 12:08:56 PM »

Where's this?

Ohhh, you meant a secured auto loan, not a personal loan.  Okay, that makes a lot more sense.
No, I didn't.
Our branch didn't offer secured auto loans below $7000. We had to take out a personal loan.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: January 29, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »

Where's this?

No, I didn't.
Our branch didn't offer secured auto loans below $7000. We had to take out a personal loan.

Hmm, interesting.  I stand corrected!

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #899 on: January 29, 2016, 02:58:47 PM »
Over a year and a half ago I lent my Uncle $900. He's been paying me back very very very slowly with months of silence and awkwardness in between. Today is the last $200 check I need to deposit.

... I have to call him today to make sure it's not going to bounce like the last two did. *sigh*

He's been evicted before, definitely rotates through the family borrowing money where he can. Is on food stamps and works 2 jobs (both retail). Used to work for Goldman Sachs ~10-15 years ago.

I feel for the guy but he's a shopaholic, constantly buys unnecessary things that are 'amazing deals', goes out to eat constantly. He's also closeted gay (I only know because I helped him fix his computer and saw some very obvious things) so I'm pretty sure he's spending money living a double life.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!