Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3478490 times)

Feivel2000

• Bristles
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #4900 on: October 11, 2018, 02:57:00 AM »
However, my DW would like to go and I'm sure our 6 year old boy would love it as well.

If your vacation days are that precious, how about your wife and kid go alone? Couldn't they just join your parents in their car?
Sorry, I simply don't see the "they don't get it" part. Nothing you wrote seems unreasonable or extreme to me. It isn't even spontaneous.

For the record, I said no such thing.  Someone else said that and you (and several others) have attributed it to me.

oh f***, I you are right. I am sorry for this mistake.
On an unrelated note, I really would like this forum to have a mobile friedly theme.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4901 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:05 AM »
I have a cousin in a pretty shitty situation. I feel bad for her and her kids that she's ended up like this, but it seems I'm the only person who feels she's not a victim.

She lived with, but was not married to, a man with kids from a previous relationship. They owned a property together and the mortgage and life insurance weren't paid for a year. Then he tragically dies. She's forced to sell the house now and the proceeds of his share in the house (not much after the mortgage has been paid off) will go to his kids, not to her. The mean bank is not willing to give her a new mortgage so she's forced to rent which is difficult where we live.

Of course everyone blames the dead guy now and she knew nothing about this until he passed away. I find that very hard to believe, but even if it's true that he took care of all the financial matters, as a grown up adult she should have checked whether the bills were really paid.

A said situation for her to be in, and especially the kids.

It could have been avoidable if they would have paid their bills and had a life insurance on each other's life. If I compare to my parents, they once refinanced their mortgage when they had trouble paying the high bills. My mother started working evening jobs to earn more money. When my father unexpectedly died, his life insurance was paid out to my mother, who then was left financially comfortable. If my mother would have died, my father would also have received a small life insurance.

It is strange to rely completely on a partner to do all the financial stuff. But maybe he lied about his situation and it is mainly his fault? If they did not have a shared account, then maybe it wasn't so easy for her to actually check? But it could be very possible that she just wasn't interested in anything financial other than spending and that is not very smart behaviour.

The worst part is that they actually had life insurance, but they were also behind on that, which means they won't get a payout.

I'm not sure if she had access to the account the mortgage was payed from, but there were warning signs about his financial behaviour that she chose to ignore. I also think any responsible adult should demand access to the account the joint mortgage is paid from. Not checking and completely trusting your partner is irresponsible. She's only in her 30s and she's not stupid. I feel sorry for the situation she's in, but this happens when you ignore important things.

We have life insurance, even though we would not need it to pay the bills. If the worst happens, we want each other to be as comfortable as possible in the situation they're in. That peace of mind is absolutely worth the 10/month premium.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4902 on: October 11, 2018, 07:57:05 AM »
I have a cousin in a pretty shitty situation. I feel bad for her and her kids that she's ended up like this, but it seems I'm the only person who feels she's not a victim.

She lived with, but was not married to, a man with kids from a previous relationship. They owned a property together and the mortgage and life insurance weren't paid for a year. Then he tragically dies. She's forced to sell the house now and the proceeds of his share in the house (not much after the mortgage has been paid off) will go to his kids, not to her. The mean bank is not willing to give her a new mortgage so she's forced to rent which is difficult where we live.

Of course everyone blames the dead guy now and she knew nothing about this until he passed away. I find that very hard to believe, but even if it's true that he took care of all the financial matters, as a grown up adult she should have checked whether the bills were really paid.

This is a story for the "make a will" threads, as well as a warning to know what's going on in shared finances.

I am sorry for your sister, but honestly I feel worse for the poor kids. They've lost their father, their home, and presumably also their mother-figure (I assume your sister is not their guardian). What a lot of trauma all at once!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4903 on: October 11, 2018, 08:52:14 AM »

This is a story for the "make a will" threads, as well as a warning to know what's going on in shared finances.

I am sorry for your sister, but honestly I feel worse for the poor kids. They've lost their father, their home, and presumably also their mother-figure (I assume your sister is not their guardian). What a lot of trauma all at once!

It's met cousin, not my sister, so we're not close relatives. I feel extremely sorry for the poor kids. The cousin is also their guardian but if she wants to keep the kids she needs to find housing asap. The house will be sold in a few weeks.

I completely agree this is why people need to make wills - especially when you are unmarried but own joint property or have kids from a previous relationship. Everyone who's not single and childless should have a will that is updated every 5 years or so.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4904 on: October 11, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
Not super-drama worthy, but I swore like a sailor when my wife showed me a wall of texts last night.
I have to go to an industry conference in Late November, company paid, mandatory. This was decided in March. Flights and room are paid for.
In June, a first cousin F1 gave us tentative dates for her wedding in a state half way around the country. Yesterday she texted us the final dates for the wedding on a major holiday weekend.
Another first cousin F2 wants my wife and kids to travel over this crazy holiday weekend to meet them at F1's wedding. Flights are absurd expensive (can still afford), but we're not close to F1; (she's obnoxious telling us how to have kids and raise them when she didn't have a man). My dad and bro's family are going, so I'm being represented by my "clan".
Wife tells F2 that we won't attend as it's crazy for her to fly with kids during that time period and I'm not there to help; our kids are super energy, can't contain them at the airport. F2 tries to guilt trip my wife that she just wants us to be there so that our and F2's kids can play with each other.
Like WTF, are we your baby-sitter/play-dates? If we're going to a wedding, I want my kids to be sitting and observing and enjoying the wedding (which they do very well), not to be a t a play-date.
I went into a swear tirade, didn't realize my kids were sitting next to me. Had to do squats holding my ears as punishment.
Have now cancelled my plans to visit F2 in May once school year is over. I love F2 and her family, but her assholic selfishness has a price.

Follow-Up:
F2 called my dad to convince him. He said that my wife was taking care of my granny and our kids and working FT while I'm on work trip and my dad is in half-way state at the afore-mentioned wedding.
F2 then called my wife a couple of days later to try to convince her. She does this every couple of days; wifey is a saint with patience and doesn't get mad at F2 or venting out at me.
F2 then tried to video call me a week back. Didn't return call, ain't no message left.
F2 tried to have my Bro and SIL get involved in convincing game, luckily Bro ain't got time for nonsense, and SIL decided to stay the fuck outta this.
F2 then tried to video call me a couple of days back. Noped the fuck outta that.
Messaged F2 and let her know that I am aware of her shenanigans and any further efforts will result in us not visiting them in 2019. Or them coming down here to my place.
Messaged F2's husband to tell her to calm down and mind her own business.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:05:51 PM by jinga nation »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4905 on: October 12, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
It's met cousin, not my sister, so we're not close relatives. I feel extremely sorry for the poor kids. The cousin is also their guardian but if she wants to keep the kids she needs to find housing asap. The house will be sold in a few weeks.

I completely agree this is why people need to make wills - especially when you are unmarried but own joint property or have kids from a previous relationship. Everyone who's not single and childless should have a will that is updated every 5 years or so.

Oops, sorry, my bad on the sister/cousin confusion.
As the children's guardian might she be allowed to use the proceeds from the sale of the house as a down payment on another, smaller house for which she could qualify for the payments? It is really hard, because she probably wants to keep the kids in the same school district, and the choices there may be limited.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4906 on: October 12, 2018, 04:24:47 PM »

Oops, sorry, my bad on the sister/cousin confusion.
As the children's guardian might she be allowed to use the proceeds from the sale of the house as a down payment on another, smaller house for which she could qualify for the payments? It is really hard, because she probably wants to keep the kids in the same school district, and the choices there may be limited.

In our country, school districts aren't a thing, but she is trying to keep the kids in the same school. We live in a very urban area with an overheated housing market, so both buying and renting are difficult.

After the mortgage, the kids' inheritance is only something like 5k each. I think under normal circumstances she probably would have been allowed to use that to buy a new home for the family, but because cousin and her late husband didn't pay their mortgage for a year before he died she's not going to get a mortgage until her credit rating recovers (and that's going to take years). If only they had at least kept up with their life insurance payments she would not be in the mess they're in now.

carolinap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4907 on: October 23, 2018, 07:54:14 AM »
That happened a long time ago, but I don't think I have posted it here.
When I landed my first job I was talking with my mother about long term plans, saving for a down payment to buy an apartment.

Then she said to me "if you find it too hard to save or buy an apartment, BUY A CAR INSTEAD so when you need a down payment you sell it and use this money for it"

Even as an inexperienced person with money I was like "WTF what about depreciation???"

But that is it about money for some folks: they feel safe and on control when they have money attached to concrete things like cars and houses.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4908 on: October 23, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »
When I landed my first job I was talking with my mother about long term plans, saving for a down payment to buy an apartment.

Then she said to me "if you find it too hard to save or buy an apartment, BUY A CAR INSTEAD so when you need a down payment you sell it and use this money for it"

Even as an inexperienced person with money I was like "WTF what about depreciation???"

But that is it about money for some folks: they feel safe and on control when they have money attached to concrete things like cars and houses.

LOL...wow, I can’t even...

carolinap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4909 on: October 23, 2018, 01:03:04 PM »

LOL...wow, I can’t even...

I don't feel right on "shame and comedy" my mother, but she has way to conservative ways to deal with money that don't usually lead her to a good place financially.

When I was younger she was a SAHM and my father controlled all of the money, she had no clue about things (a bad idea in general, she had to wait 2+ years to finish her degree to be able to divorce with some perspective of a job). She graduated and has been a teacher in public school since, a really low paying job but that she always thought was the best option because of "stability"...

Two years ago the government got into a financial crisis and teachers salary are still payed 2, 3 months late. For me, the real stability is FI / cash on the bank, not some vague promise that I will be employed forever. No job is stable enough that you don't need a safety net during all your career.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4910 on: October 23, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
I have a good friend who is a preschool teacher. She gets paid even less than “regular” teachers, but she has a unionized job with the school board and feels the same way — she plans to keep her job forever and depend on the pension for survival. She actually has no idea how much gets taken out of her paycheck each month as pension contribution, or how much she will get each month once retired. I’ve been slowly trying to introduce ideas of saving beyond her current 10-15% forced savings rate, and chatting about various financial instruments like index funds, etc., but it’s been slow going.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4911 on: October 23, 2018, 04:46:55 PM »
We have a family member who is overweight with physical and mental health problems. He took up boxing two months ago because this type of focused exercise is good for him physically, mentally, and emotionally. We just heard that his mom is making him quit because it’s too expensive. Mom is low income. When we questioned further, we found out that:

1. He was getting private lessons to the tune of $100/hour.
2. He was doing this a couple times per week.
3. He cannot join a gym or group lesson because he is a special snowflake. (Not her exact words, but that was the gist).

It’s kind of frustrating. I think mom was trying to drop hints for us to cover his lessons. Umm...no. 8% of our monthly spending already goes to this kid for private tutoring because he failed high school last year. He’s going to need to find a cheaper way to get exercise.

GatorNation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4912 on: October 24, 2018, 07:31:29 AM »
My cousin is currently 62 years old.  She has never had a job and has always depended on rich family to pay her bills.

When she was in her 30s, our grandmother gave her $20k as a down payment on a house and sent her $1,000 a month to pay the mortgage.  She, of course, used the money for herself and never paid the mortgage.  She was foreclosed and almost homeless.

After the foreclosure, her parents bought her a house to raise her 4 kids.  She is single, never married and the dad's are all deadbeats.  For the past 25 years she lived in this house rent free.  She raised her children in this house.  She now lives alone in this house as all her kids have moved out.  She never worked, as her parents also sent her money every month.

Now her parents are in their late 80s and need money for healthcare, long term care, etc.  They told my cousin that she needed to move out as they were going to sell the house.  My cousin refused to move.  Parents filed an eviction.  My cousin got a lawyer and fought them in court.  Cousin lost and had to move out.  My cousin and her kids now hate the grandparents as they believe that my cousin was entitled to the house.  They claim that the grandparents are being selfish.  My cousin and her kids have told the grandparents that they are dead to them and to never call them ever.

My cousin, 62 years old without ever having to work or pay bills, is complaining about how she has no money.  "How do my parents expect me to make a living at my age". 

Unbelievable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4913 on: October 24, 2018, 07:57:00 AM »
My cousin is currently 62 years old.  She has never had a job and has always depended on rich family to pay her bills.

When she was in her 30s, our grandmother gave her $20k as a down payment on a house and sent her $1,000 a month to pay the mortgage.  She, of course, used the money for herself and never paid the mortgage.  She was foreclosed and almost homeless.

After the foreclosure, her parents bought her a house to raise her 4 kids.  She is single, never married and the dad's are all deadbeats.  For the past 25 years she lived in this house rent free.  She raised her children in this house.  She now lives alone in this house as all her kids have moved out.  She never worked, as her parents also sent her money every month.

Now her parents are in their late 80s and need money for healthcare, long term care, etc.  They told my cousin that she needed to move out as they were going to sell the house.  My cousin refused to move.  Parents filed an eviction.  My cousin got a lawyer and fought them in court.  Cousin lost and had to move out.  My cousin and her kids now hate the grandparents as they believe that my cousin was entitled to the house.  They claim that the grandparents are being selfish.  My cousin and her kids have told the grandparents that they are dead to them and to never call them ever.

My cousin, 62 years old without ever having to work or pay bills, is complaining about how she has no money.  "How do my parents expect me to make a living at my age". 

Unbelievable.

How rude of that cousin. I guess that is what happens when you really enable a person. They totally miss the motivation to earn their own money.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #4914 on: October 24, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »

Unbelievable.

We have a variation on this theme.   SIL is 60 and has had MIL/FIL "supplement" BIL's income for decades.    They spoiled her with cars, horses, and who knows what else when she was young.   Even when she married BIL, who made good money, she spent it all and still needed "help" from the bank of Mom and Dad.   They gave her around 15K to help her pay off her house.   It got especially bad / insane after MIL/FIL inherited money from their own parents.  Parents paid for cars, boats, two condos, constant shopping sprees, another horse, trailer for the horse, and then the big ass truck to pull the trailer.  Parents even bought her Christmas gifts for her to give out, as DH found out one year, he started thanking his mother instead lol.    This insanity has gone on  all through the parents' retirement.   Until now.

She has worked her so-called "fun" part time job (that doesn't make much and is more something for her to do) for nearly 20 years now, but now she has a new boss who changed things around at her workplace so it's not fun anymore so she puts in the minimum hours required, around 8 hours/week.   BIL has had a couple periods of lengthy unemployment but makes good money when working and now is still working at the age of 68.

Now MIL/FIL are in their late 80s (ages 86 and 88 respectively) and are at a point where they need their money for long term care and more money for healthcare now that FIL's retiree health plan changed.  They are already getting assistance with a cleaning service and hired a landscaping service to mow the lawn and shovels the snow.  They have looked into assisted living.  So they turned off the money spigot and SIL is mad.   During BIL's last bout of unemployment, BIL withdrew money from his retirement to help pay all the bills for all the property and toys that SIL "needs" because MIL/FIL stopped being the family ATM and of course, it's their fault that they had to resort to this.

And on top of this, SIL's two kids, niece and nephew, have relied on the handouts through the years as well.  While nephew now seems independent after graduating college and working full time, niece constantly calls MIL for handouts.  The last request was for a second furnace to the huge house that btw, niece and her husband bought but can't afford, but has been helped out over the years by her grandparents. 

So the MIL/FIL are not talking to their daughter, who doesn't get why they can't continue with their insane levels of EOC when the answer should be pretty damn obvious.  Pretty sad.

Interesting that DH, their son who never got a penny of EOC from them, does talk to them and makes a point to remain in contact as they get older.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:28:50 AM by saguaro »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4915 on: October 24, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
Interesting that DH, their son who never got a penny of EOC from them, does talk to them and makes a point to remain in contact as they get older.
The delicious ending to this story would be if DH's parents pulled a "prodigal son's dad" and left everything to DH when they die, because SIL already got her share.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #4916 on: October 24, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »
I feel like this is partly the relatives' faults for bringing up dependant adults. If they'd set more reasonable boundaries earlier, the child/adult wouldn't have grown up with such screwed up expectations, and would likely have launched into the world as a functioning adult much sooner. Instead they've done untold damage - in reality, what work is available for a 60+ person who has never worked?

Obviously the leeches are to blame for not living within their own means, but why have they been enabled for so long?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4917 on: October 24, 2018, 02:38:58 PM »
We have a family member who is overweight with physical and mental health problems. He took up boxing two months ago because this type of focused exercise is good for him physically, mentally, and emotionally. We just heard that his mom is making him quit because it’s too expensive. Mom is low income. When we questioned further, we found out that:

3. He cannot join a gym or group lesson because he is a special snowflake. (Not her exact words, but that was the gist).

It’s kind of frustrating. I think mom was trying to drop hints for us to cover his lessons. Umm...no. 8% of our monthly spending already goes to this kid for private tutoring because he failed high school last year. He’s going to need to find a cheaper way to get exercise.

I've personally seen this before... let me guess, the mother thinks her son is "gifted"?

Unbelievable.

How rude of that cousin. I guess that is what happens when you really enable a person. They totally miss the motivation to earn their own money.

Human psychology is a wonderful thing.

In the wild, I've never seen animal parents "enabling" their offspring. Everyone gets kicked out of the nest when they have enough teeth/feathers/whatever.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #4918 on: October 24, 2018, 03:27:41 PM »
The delicious ending to this story would be if DH's parents pulled a "prodigal son's dad" and left everything to DH when they die, because SIL already got her share.

Indeed, that would be a delicious ending however I suspect DH's parents will never work up the nerve to change their wills, which is split between DH, SIL and grandkids, to reflect that, no matter how mad they are.   There's also the question that, if they did, SIL would be just the type to challenge the will(s) legally, as she has proven to be that sort of person who will go straight for the legal option no matter how unlikely she will prevail.  She spent a couple of years in a futile legal battle with her condo association and had no reservations about doing so even though she lost the case and was told from the get-go that would be the likely outcome.  She's one of those people.  Because in her words "things have to be fair" which is hilarious considering the favorable financial treatment she has received as opposed to her brother.

Seriously, what will probably happen is that MIL/FIL will spend most, if not all their money, as SIL's spendthrift ways came directly from them.  Due to DH's mustachian ways (he saw the light reading YMOYL years ago), he will not need the money but SIL will be in a world of hurt if there's nothing left.  And DH will not bail her out if that happens. 

I feel like this is partly the relatives' faults for bringing up dependant adults. If they'd set more reasonable boundaries earlier, the child/adult wouldn't have grown up with such screwed up expectations, and would likely have launched into the world as a functioning adult much sooner. Instead they've done untold damage - in reality, what work is available for a 60+ person who has never worked

I always believed that if DH's parents had learned to say the word "no", things would have probably gone differently for SIL.  But after a life of being enabled and manipulating pretty much her whole family to get what she wants, she just wants a life of "fun" and Bank of Mom and Dad should contribute.   She has strengths; I think she could have made a killing working in sales.  She has the looks and personality for it: in her last full time job (in her 20s), she was doing inside sales for a card / stationery outfit and did very well.  Had she kept with that line of work, she might have done very well for herself. 

Regarding my in laws, who created / enabled the situation, I waver between feeling sorry and not sorry for them.   Sorry because they are dealing with this towards the end of their lives and not sorry because what did they expect?  Deep down, they know what their daughter is really like.   There are times where they state it very plainly as as they are now.

In the wild, I've never seen animal parents "enabling" their offspring. Everyone gets kicked out of the nest when they have enough teeth/feathers/whatever

We saw this upfront and personal with the mama chipmunk who resides in our lawn.  Two very cute young chipmunks were seen with her early last month, but in last two weeks, we have only seen mama.  No sign of the kids at all.  Mama is busy now winterizing her home with leaves.  Probably cleaned up the place too.   

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:10:19 PM by saguaro »

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4919 on: October 24, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »

I have a friend who lived in a similar scenario (my friend would have been the never-got-any-EOC child) and was self-supporting. His other siblings figured out early that if you ask, you get. They worked lower-end jobs then hit up the Bank of Dad when the mood struck, so there was little motivation to work hard. A popular approach was to drop heavy hints about trips, then sigh about how they could never afford it and how sad that their kids would never be able to experience [some other country]. Dad would fork over the money believing it was to support the kids' education. Or their poor car that needed to be replaced. Or Dad should hire a grandchild in his business in a do-little job since Junior is having such a hard time finding a "suitable" job. That went on for years, but now the dad doesn't have extra to spare. His siblings will be living on meager SS income other than the one sibling who spends nothing ever.

The fair thing would be to adjust the estate shares to compensate for people who "got theirs early" but the siblings knew Dad would never do that, it divides everything equally.  So that only encouraged the siblings to hold their hand out early and often. My friend will not get what he should have but he's not bitter about it.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #4920 on: October 24, 2018, 09:19:58 PM »
The fair thing would be to adjust the estate shares to compensate for people who "got theirs early" but the siblings knew Dad would never do that, it divides everything equally.  So that only encouraged the siblings to hold their hand out early and often. My friend will not get what he should have but he's not bitter about it.

DH is somewhat bitter about it.  As much as I try to point out that he was able to make it on his own (and should be proud of that) plus he's better off as a mustachian for it, he's still miffed that his parents favored his sister.  It not because of the money but the inequality. It says to him that he is less important and he's never forgotten that.  It doesn't help that my in laws stupidly made comparisons to his sister's husband who was making more money while DH was young, getting his start on his career and wasn't making as much.  And then finding out during that same time that his parents were supporting SIL with EOC, on top of the money her husband brought in.  They were pretty unkind about that at times so personally I think they are pretty fortunate that their son is even talking to them. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4921 on: October 24, 2018, 10:14:55 PM »

I've personally seen this before... let me guess, the mother thinks her son is "gifted"?

Not "gifted" per se, but definitely special and requiring special handling with kid gloves because he is "delicate" and "sensitive". This teen is almost 6 feet tall and once attacked a family member in anger (not to say big, aggressive people cannot also be delicate and sensitive -- perhaps it is because they are so sensitive that they lash out in anger...yes, that must be it). He's also a "smart boy" who was getting "excellent grades" prior to entering high school. Mama was so proud -- he was getting straight Bs and Cs. I think we hold different definitions of the word "excellent".

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4922 on: October 25, 2018, 02:42:09 AM »

DH is somewhat bitter about it.  As much as I try to point out that he was able to make it on his own (and should be proud of that) plus he's better off as a mustachian for it, he's still miffed that his parents favored his sister.  It not because of the money but the inequality. It says to him that he is less important and he's never forgotten that.  It doesn't help that my in laws stupidly made comparisons to his sister's husband who was making more money while DH was young, getting his start on his career and wasn't making as much.  And then finding out during that same time that his parents were supporting SIL with EOC, on top of the money her husband brought in.  They were pretty unkind about that at times so personally I think they are pretty fortunate that their son is even talking to them.

I think a friend of mine hit the nail on the head when she said that unequal distributions from parents to siblings, whether in life or after it, are almost always seen as unequal distributions of love from parents to their children.  And as the distribution after death is the last distribution it sets that inequality in stone, for ever.  Could you help your DH see how to separate the money from the love?  Or even, at an extreme, help his parents to do so?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4923 on: October 25, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »
Human psychology is a wonderful thing.

In the wild, I've never seen animal parents "enabling" their offspring. Everyone gets kicked out of the nest when they have enough teeth/feathers/whatever.

Several species have been noted to care for disabled family members, including whales, dolphins and apes. You see it in species with stable social groups whose young take a long time to reach maturity.... so from that perspective this human behavior makes perfect sense. At this point, the mother has invested decades of effort into her offspring and the only way she gets any biological payoff is if he reproduces, so it makes sense to continue to invest the resources, particularly if the mother is beyond childbearing and has no other children. In fact, it's the only biologically rational thing to do.

Tl;dr: Humans are animals.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #4924 on: October 25, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »

I think a friend of mine hit the nail on the head when she said that unequal distributions from parents to siblings, whether in life or after it, are almost always seen as unequal distributions of love from parents to their children.  And as the distribution after death is the last distribution it sets that inequality in stone, for ever.  Could you help your DH see how to separate the money from the love?  Or even, at an extreme, help his parents to do so?

I agree with your friend.   For a long time, I was angry over the unfairness as well and it was because I saw it the same way: as lack of love for DH. That pissed me off.  However, in recent years, I have come to realize that down deep DH's parents do love him in spite of the money given to the sister, even if they don't say it and act in weird ways.   I think the money to the sister is really given from a place of deep unhappiness and insecurity, wanting to buy her love and love of her children, which she manipulated (she's a self professed operator) while DH is simply not wired that way.    I have pointed this out to DH, and also told him that if anything happened to him, I think they would be devastated, far more than they realize.    I am not sure I have entirely convinced DH though, while he doesn't seem as angry/hurt about it as before and agrees with me, he still maintains that giving what they gave to his sister is quite a lot, which it is, and maybe it's just something that will always be there.  Any unlikely change in the estate planning to make it "more fair", won't make it fair in his mind anyway because so much has been given already.   

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4925 on: October 25, 2018, 01:27:43 PM »

Buy him a $25 bicycle from Craigslist. Help him get the maintenance sorted (safe) and teach him how to lock it up and keep it out of the weather. Lots of exercise can be had. Freedom. And transportation so he can get a job (the real goal). He could ride it across the country were he so inclined.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:37:46 PM by Just Joe »

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #4926 on: October 25, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »
Not only did my cousin buy a new Jeep, they bought a paperweight

Cousin and her husband already both drive newish SUVs.

Cousins husband bought her a new jeep a few months ago to surprise her.  Not any jeep, but the most expensive trail hawk with ALL the options

I assumed she would sell her other daily driver SUV... Nope... Just found out it's still her daily driver.

She doesn't want to drive it because parking is tight, so she driver her smaller, couple year old suv...

Alright, so we've established neither of them daily drive it... What about that roadtrip, or any off the beaten path adventures?

Nope, they don't want to take the purpose built off-road vehicle off road or on any remote backroads...
And they don't want to take it on long trips because THEY DON'T WANT TO PUT TOO MANY MILES ON IT

I'm absolutley dumbfounded, they bought an $80,000 paperweight they they pay insurance and interest and registration for, and it just sits in their garage depreciating rapidly...

I guess they occasionally get groceries in it

I can't even concept

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4927 on: October 25, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »

Cousin and her husband already both drive newish SUVs.

Cousins husband bought her a new jeep a few months ago to surprise her.  Not any jeep, but the most expensive trail hawk with ALL the options

I assumed she would sell her other daily driver SUV... Nope... Just found out it's still her daily driver.

She doesn't want to drive it because parking is tight, so she driver her smaller, couple year old suv...

Alright, so we've established neither of them daily drive it... What about that roadtrip, or any off the beaten path adventures?

Nope, they don't want to take the purpose built off-road vehicle off road or on any remote backroads...
And they don't want to take it on long trips because THEY DON'T WANT TO PUT TOO MANY MILES ON IT

I'm absolutley dumbfounded, they bought an $80,000 paperweight they they pay insurance and interest and registration for, and it just sits in their garage depreciating rapidly...

I guess they occasionally get groceries in it

I can't even concept
Surprise, honey, I spent $80,000!

I'll never understand why anyone wouldn't file for divorce that evening...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4928 on: October 25, 2018, 03:11:54 PM »
Not any jeep, but the most expensive trail hawk with ALL the options

[...] they bought an $80,000 paperweight

Are you sure it was the Trailhawk? The Grand Cherokee Trailhawk is only $43.6k MSRP and I doubt options would double the price. The TrackHawk is $86.2k MSRP + options, so that seems more likely. 707 hp on that bad boy...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4929 on: October 25, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »

Buy him a $25 bicycle from Craigslist. Help him get the maintenance sorted (safe) and teach him how to lock it up and keep it out of the weather. Lots of exercise can be had. Freedom. And transportation so he can get a job (the real goal). He could ride it across the country were he so inclined.

@Just Joe  He has one. DH left his $1000 road bike for him all tuned up. Mom won’t let him ride it because “it’s too dangerous”, and anyway, he has no where to go because he stays home and plays video games all day. You can see how frustrating this situation is. You really can’t do anything to help people who won’t help themselves.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:54:54 PM by Freedomin5 »

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #4930 on: October 25, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »

A few years ago we were watching TV and saw an ad where the wife looks outside on Christmas morning and there's a new Mercedes out front with a big red bow on it. 

I turned to DH and said these words: "I would kill you." 

Not that there's any danger - DH & I are luckily cut from the same piece of cloth.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #4931 on: October 26, 2018, 04:41:14 AM »

A few years ago we were watching TV and saw an ad where the wife looks outside on Christmas morning and there's a new Mercedes out front with a big red bow on it. 

Not that there's any danger - DH & I are luckily cut from the same piece of cloth.

Oh yea, I wasn't there, but according to DW it was literally in the driveway with a big bow when she got home
I think it was birthday or anniversary or something

Let's say they attract each other for a reason, she was absolutely thrilled

The whole family was thrilled... Such a sweet romantic thing to do, they say, as they complain about never retiring

Are you sure it was the Trailhawk? The Grand Cherokee Trailhawk is only $43.6k MSRP and I doubt options would double the price. The TrackHawk is $86.2k MSRP + options, so that seems more likely. 707 hp on that bad boy...

I didn't look up the MSRP, Whatever a fully loaded Wrangler is plus title and tax

Yea, the one with a solid front axle, purpose built for off roading, that is terrible on road, with 4 doors and heated leather seats and an expensive hard top that has never been removed

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4932 on: October 26, 2018, 06:42:56 AM »

I didn't look up the MSRP, Whatever a fully loaded Wrangler is plus title and tax

Yea, the one with a solid front axle, purpose built for off roading, that is terrible on road, with 4 doors and heated leather seats and an expensive hard top that has never been removed

Huh, I couldn't find a Trailhawk version of the Wrangler on Jeep's website. The most expensive one I could find is the Wrangler Rubicon which is $41.4k MSRP. In the configurator I was able to get it up to $60.7k by ticking every option box that increased the price.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4933 on: October 26, 2018, 06:54:55 AM »
Jesus, wranglers have gotten expensive. I paid $14k for mine brand new back in the day.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4934 on: October 26, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »

I have told my SO multiple times that if he ever gets me DEBT for a gift then there is zero chance that he knows who I am and we will need some serious counseling if we are going to make things work.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4935 on: October 26, 2018, 07:12:52 AM »
Jesus, wranglers have gotten expensive. I paid $14k for mine brand new back in the day.

You can still get one for $24k. They were $14k back in 1998, which is $22k today, so the price increases have barely exceeded inflation.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4936 on: October 26, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
I think the appropriate reply when you see an extravagant gift is "Wow,  Thanks, honey, however did you save up enough money for all of this?"

The answer will signal the next direction of the conversation.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4937 on: October 26, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »

I have told my SO multiple times that if he ever gets me DEBT for a gift then there is zero chance that he knows who I am and we will need some serious counseling if we are going to make things work.

These comments killed me, I read them to DH and told him 3 reasons I don’t want a surprise Mercedes:
1. I want to choose my own car, I have to drive it every day.
2. I’d want a Tesla, duh.
3. Better not spend that much money without talking about it. The real issue of course 🙂

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4938 on: October 26, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »

My ex did this kind of crap.  Like the birthday that I asked him to not spend money we didn't have.  When he insisted that I pick something I asked for a particular pair of shoes to replace the pair of been wearing for 10 years.   I got the camera and memory card that he wanted and a gift card to a place that didn't even carry the brand of shoes I wanted. Just part of why he's an ex.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4939 on: October 26, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
Neither of us spends more than 100 without agreeing.

VividPixels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4940 on: October 27, 2018, 08:02:02 AM »

What's EOC? It's been driving me crazy for a couple days now.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4941 on: October 27, 2018, 08:32:37 AM »
@VividPixels Economic Outpatient Care

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4942 on: October 27, 2018, 09:09:01 AM »

Economic outpatient care. I think it's from The Millionaire Next Door.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4943 on: October 27, 2018, 09:12:15 AM »

Economic Outpatient Care, probably.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #4944 on: October 27, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »

Economic Outpatient Care.  After Thomas Stanley.  Duck duck go is your friend.

VividPixels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4945 on: October 27, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
Economic outpatient care. I think it's from The Millionaire Next Door.

Ah, thanks! Also, sympathy to GatorNation / saguaro about the family drama...

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4946 on: October 27, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »

I believe it's Economic Outpatient Care.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4947 on: October 27, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »
"Economic Outpatient Care"

A term from the book "Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas Stanley.
He has an entire chapter on this topic, alone, and this chapter is by far the best in a book that I found life-changing ideas in.   

His other key idea for me: "Choose to live in a neighborhood where you are in the top 10% of incomes, and you will never feel pressure to keep up with others' spending, and will feel wealthier and save more money" [ paraphrased]

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4948 on: October 27, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »
"Economic Outpatient Care"

A term from the book "Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas Stanley.
He has an entire chapter on this topic, alone, and this chapter is by far the best in a book that I found life-changing ideas in.   

His other key idea for me: "Choose to live in a neighborhood where you are in the top 10% of incomes, and you will never feel pressure to keep up with others' spending, and will feel wealthier and save more money" [ paraphrased]

Great advice!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4949 on: October 27, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »

Economic Outpatient Care, otherwise known at the adult version of a child's allowance from the parents.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!