Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3478712 times)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #3500 on: August 26, 2017, 06:41:16 AM »
I had the same type of thoughts last December when I became a worthless individual too. In the end I told three people. A very affluent friend, a very close friend, and another.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3501 on: August 26, 2017, 06:47:17 AM »
I had the same type of thoughts last December when I became a worthless individual too. In the end I told three people. A very affluent friend, a very close friend, and another.

Hey, I'm not worthless, I'm worth a whole $150! :)

I'm still on the fence if I should say anything. I guess if it's relevant to the conversation maybe.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3502 on: August 26, 2017, 07:29:12 AM »
Not my parents, but my friend's parents: they wanted a new 'statement' dining room table for their dining room. As far as I know, they are financially comfortable, house probably paid off, steady job for the government with lots of paid leave, but I also know they would like to retire today (mid 50's) but will probably need to work until mid 60's to retire with the income they'd like to have. They go and spend 3000 on a custom made dining room table, only to find out at the first family gathering it's not actually big enough for the parents and their children, let alone their daughters in law. Table is now in the attic and they went on to buy another, bigger custom made dining room table. They tell this to people in a way that makes it sound like it's a normal thing. I think I know why they have to work another 10 years.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #3503 on: August 26, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »

Hey, I'm not worthless, I'm worth a whole $150! :)

I'm still on the fence if I should say anything. I guess if it's relevant to the conversation maybe.

I wouldn't tell. You'd probably start getting hit up for "loans".

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3504 on: August 27, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »
Venting to strangers so I can keep my cool here... conflicted...

Cost of car parents just bought for 33-year-old semi-employed perpetual student brother: $18K
Last time parents bought him a car (used, 1990s): 2015
Yes, it's new. They insist buying this make of car used would be "a bad deal."
Who is paying at least part of brother's rent right now: parents
Brothers phone: parents' family plan
Brothers clothes: mom's retail therapy covers this

Who was U.S. president when my DH's enviably well-running vehicle was made: Reagan.
time brother has held full time non student job: 10 months and change
Outcome: let go for not understanding employer's rules / "independent thinking"

My mortgage balance: $38k
Years left on my 15 year mortgage: 11
Years left till payoff if I don't overpay (but I do): 5 and change
My emergency fund: $32K

My weakness... parents say they feel bad for having to fund him and not me, so they often offer to buy my groceries. Sometimes I accept, buy nice stuff (local glass bottle milk, not anything dumb like kale chips) from a local, family owned shop, and put the leftover grocery budget money in savings. Is this okay? Or do I need to cut the strings so I don't end up like brother? I am aware he is in his mess because he has never had to be self reliant.

ps: I will never personally bailout this brother, no matter what.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:53:10 PM by stashja »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3505 on: August 27, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »
My weakness... parents say they feel bad for having to fund him and not me, so they often offer to buy my groceries. Sometimes I accept, buy nice stuff from a local, family owned shop, and put the leftover grocery budget money in savings. Is this okay? Or do I need to cut the strings so I don't end up like brother? I am aware he is in his mess because he has never had to be self reliant.

Personally, I'd express gratitude for my parents' offer, but say, "...but we're able to take care of ourselves, so please don't burden yourselves further."  Or, half-jokingly, say "nah, we're in good shape.  Just take it out of his share of the inheritance :P"

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3506 on: August 27, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
My weakness... parents say they feel bad for having to fund him and not me, so they often offer to buy my groceries. Sometimes I accept, buy nice stuff from a local, family owned shop, and put the leftover grocery budget money in savings. Is this okay? Or do I need to cut the strings so I don't end up like brother? I am aware he is in his mess because he has never had to be self reliant.

Depends on your parents situation.  If they are in basically good financial situation go for it.  If a bag of kale chips helps everyone's relations ships-enjoy.  They dont want to think things are 100% one sided with your brother even if it is 98% monetarily one sided towards him.  Free food might even help you in your head; when then give you some vegan-beef-jerky you can smile knowing you dont need it and its just a little bonus.  If you come to expect or ask for the free-range Asparagus Water then go back and reevaluate your self reliance. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3507 on: August 27, 2017, 06:46:06 PM »

They can very well afford $50 of groceries every few months.  I don't expect or ask. When I tried to return the money to them once, they were offended. Also, if we don't graciously accept this, they send us bizarre presents... atrocious "career woman dresses" for me and a glass telescope from some religious pilgrimage site for my better half.
It would be better if they didn't blow that money on unwanted stuff for you.  How are your parents' finances?  If your parents are not financially set enough to be able to support your deadbeat brother and have a good retirement, you may have to bail them out later.  To that end, you might consider graciously accepting all that "grocery money" and socking it away in a separate account to pay back to them as needed.

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3508 on: August 27, 2017, 06:48:44 PM »
What I am doing is socking away everything. They will be okay for their own retirement. They have good jobs, savings, investments. Of course, if they needed my help, I would help them. I have no kids, so I am practically able to help.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:20:25 PM by stashja »

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #3509 on: August 27, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »
My co-tenant in working on Hydro sites, away from home most of the time with crazy per diems (not taxable) and makes a lot of overtime, so he has a pretty high revenue. He has pretty much zero responsabilities (no wife, no kids, no house to mentain, etc.) and is pretty young. The perfect time to build a 'stach, in my opinion.

Not so long ago, he told me he had more than 35K$ in his checking account. I tried to explain him that this was kind of dumb, that over time it loses value with inflation and that he could put it somewhere accessible and at least get some low, but better than nothing, interests or even invest part of it.

Instead, couple months after, he bought a used (at least) 2013 BMW 328 Xi for 22000$+ 15% taxes (CAN$) for a total of 25K$. And he paid CASH, even if I explained him he could get a low interest loan and invest his capital with higher expected return. And now he brags that his new tires (yes the tires were shot at that price) and installation + oil change ONLY cost him 1100$. The 1.5K$ yearly insurance fees are also ''not so bad'' according to him. On top of that, he traded his perfectly good 2007 Mazda 3 with around 150K kms (around 93K miles), for 500$. Yes, 500$. It's worth at least 2000$ here, but he didn't want to deal with having to sell it by himself. And I know he's not buying it because he particularly enjoys cars. He bought it for the status and to tell people he drives a BMW.

He also bought a brand new 3.5K$ downhill bike as a first mountain bike and probably rode it only 3 times in the last 9 months.

A brand new camera with top of the line technology (I know nothing about cameras) for a couple grand I think.

And everytime his one week off work is done, and he's got to drive back 8 hours to go work in the middle of nowhere for 4 consecutive weeks on night shifts, he seems a little depressed... What's sad is I think he's buying all this stuff the get some comfort from his lifestyle. Once he buys something, and it's usually something big (from my point of view at least), almost immediately after he starts talking about he's next purchase. Now he's thinking about buying a new laptop, because the one provided by the company apparently isn't enough. Pretty sure he's going to buy something with top specs, but will pretty much only use it to browse videos on the web. After that, I guess it's going to be an overpriced condo in an overvalued area of a HCOL city...

It kind of drives me crazy because this guy is an engineer, but it seems like he can't do simple maths. He seems confortable with his 2% RRSP + 4% company match and no more, even if he's probably paying close to 50% of taxes on a big part of his salary and many government benefits could bring back a lot of money in his pocket. At that rate of spending and saving, he's going to be working and dependant on his job for a looong time. At least if it was a YOLO philosophy thing or something like that, I could understand. But I really think it's a lack a knowledge and interest mixed by the dopamine high of the next big thing.

Still it could be worse. I mean, he's still young and he has zero debt, so he's in a OK situation if he what's to make a change. Maybe I should be more insistent and try harder to make him see the impact of his choices. I have a hard time telling people what they should do though..

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3510 on: August 28, 2017, 06:03:07 AM »
Maybe I should get this back on topic...I'm pretty excited about reaching positive networth finally but I feel like I can't even celebrate it! I'm going to my bf's parent's new beach house this weekend and I don't know if it's even worth mentioning. But I'm almost tempted to say something to see what nasty comments I get (we have received comments that we live like "porpers" among other things which I've mentioned on this thread before). Who knows, maybe they'll actually have nice things to say for once?

Probably shouldn't mention it around my bf's sister though because she is several years older and very much so in debt because of student loans from her master's degree (undergrad was fully paid for by the parents) and a brand new SUV...

I'm at least going to wash my car today, they can judge all they want for driving my 14 year old "beater" but at least it will look nice. To be fair, it actually doesn't look like it's old when cleaned up because of a newer paint job.
She's in debt from a masters degree? Holy cow!
One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received is "If you have to pay for a grad degree your (i.e. no scholarships from school or employer compensation), then it's not going to help your career any."
Of course, that generally applies to non-medical STEM degrees. I'm not sure how other fields normally work with grad school.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3511 on: August 28, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »
One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received is "If you have to pay for a grad degree your (i.e. no scholarships from school or employer compensation), then it's not going to help your career any."
Of course, that generally applies to non-medical STEM degrees. I'm not sure how other fields normally work with grad school.

For a point of reference, my wife *had* to get her masters before entering her career. She's a dietitian, and to become a fully certified RD you must go through a Dietetic internship in which you apply to about 3-15 programs of your choice, rank them, and then are matched--much like a med student being matched to a residency. You don't have a whole lot of choice. The one my wife was matched to also included a masters degree--so she had the choice: throw away 4 years of undergrad that are relatively worthless without the RD, or get the RD and her masters in the process.

It turned out to be incredibly beneficial to her career too.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3512 on: August 28, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »
Just got back from an interesting vacation with the in-laws. My FIL and MIL are generally OK--they're anti-mustachian, but FIL is pretty frugal (MIL has a debilitating illness that forces her hand to anti-mustachian quite a bit). But my brother-in-law. Holy cow.

Orders the most expensive thing on the menu at every restaurant (MIL/FIL are paying). Keeps saying things like "the problem with this boat is this, dad should have gotten the bigger one", or "We should have put a second story on this house. It is pointless now" (4 bedroom). Orders mixed drinks with top shelf liquor (at least this guy drinks bud light when he drinks beer).

Its like he thinks money grows on trees. Oh, and the best part? He's unemployed, over 30, lives with his parents, and does nothing to help. I think he does make a "living" gambling (i've seen him at OTB--he seldom loses, but I know I'm not seeing all of it), but what a spoiled, rude, asshole brat of a man-child.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3513 on: August 28, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »
Maybe I should get this back on topic...I'm pretty excited about reaching positive networth finally but I feel like I can't even celebrate it! I'm going to my bf's parent's new beach house this weekend and I don't know if it's even worth mentioning. But I'm almost tempted to say something to see what nasty comments I get (we have received comments that we live like "porpers" among other things which I've mentioned on this thread before). Who knows, maybe they'll actually have nice things to say for once?

Probably shouldn't mention it around my bf's sister though because she is several years older and very much so in debt because of student loans from her master's degree (undergrad was fully paid for by the parents) and a brand new SUV...

I'm at least going to wash my car today, they can judge all they want for driving my 14 year old "beater" but at least it will look nice. To be fair, it actually doesn't look like it's old when cleaned up because of a newer paint job.

She has a chemistry and a teaching degree and was a highschool teacher for a few years but ended up hating it so she got her MBA. She definitely makes more money now, but I don't think it's more than an engineer with only an undergrad degree. I don't know how much the student loans amount to, but the car is $25k+.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #3514 on: August 28, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
Hitched a ride from Chicago to home (~100 miles) with a friend who happened to be there and headed back. I noticed she had her husband's truck (Brand new F150 loaded). I asked where her Lincoln SUV is and she said she's over the mileage on the lease. Her logic may be right that it was cheaper to drive a truck, but if your better option is to drive an expensive, 15 mpg truck 200 miles RT, you are doing it wrong.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3515 on: August 28, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »
Hitched a ride from Chicago to home (~100 miles) with a friend who happened to be there and headed back. I noticed she had her husband's truck (Brand new F150 loaded). I asked where her Lincoln SUV is and she said she's over the mileage on the lease. Her logic may be right that it was cheaper to drive a truck, but if your better option is to drive an expensive, 15 mpg truck 200 miles RT, you are doing it wrong.

To be fair she was already doing it wrong by:
1. leasing
2. having an SUV
3. having a brand new F150

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #3516 on: August 28, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »

To be fair she was already doing it wrong by:
1. leasing
2. having an SUV
3. having a brand new F150

And there's probably not even a second thought given to any of these choices.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3517 on: August 29, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
While I'm not condoning her actions (leasing!?) that F150 should be getting ~25mpg on the highway, roughly the same as the Lincoln, so not as bad as it first appears. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3518 on: August 29, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
While I'm not condoning her actions (leasing!?) that F150 should be getting ~25mpg on the highway, roughly the same as the Lincoln, so not as bad as it first appears.

Depends on which F150. The base 2WD 2.7L V6 model is rated for 26 mpg on the highway, but the 4WD 5.0L V8 model only gets 19 mpg (or 16 mpg on E85).

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #3519 on: August 30, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »

Depends on which F150. The base 2WD 2.7L V6 model is rated for 26 mpg on the highway, but the 4WD 5.0L V8 model only gets 19 mpg (or 16 mpg on E85).
Dashboard said 15.5 mpg. She said she gets 16.5 when she drives but her husband likes to drive hard.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #3520 on: August 30, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
I'm an idiot at lost my iPhone 4s (I'm an idiot) but had my mom's Moto G4 since she just switched carriers. I used the phone for the day and I love it and think its better than my work iPhone 6s but is driving my wife nuts due to the group chats not connecting properly due to Apple's features. Luckily, my sister who was also on my parents plan is giving me her old iPhone 6 and I will use that.

Point of the story is that Apple has creating a super expensive product and service that is needlessly exclusive and has become socially so popular you are shamed for not having one. I like the $150 moto better than the iPhone but would get in constant arguments with my wife if I didnt switch back to the iPhone.

It reminds me of Vegas where the pools like Caeser are super popular, cost $XX to get in and you have to pay $12 a drink for the same experience as a hotel off the strip you can drink (byob) and have pool time for free. I'm with friends all

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3521 on: August 30, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »
I'm an idiot at lost my iPhone 4s (I'm an idiot) but had my mom's Moto G4 since she just switched carriers. I used the phone for the day and I love it and think its better than my work iPhone 6s but is driving my wife nuts due to the group chats not connecting properly due to Apple's features. Luckily, my sister who was also on my parents plan is giving me her old iPhone 6 and I will use that.

Point of the story is that Apple has creating a super expensive product and service that is needlessly exclusive and has become socially so popular you are shamed for not having one. I like the $150 moto better than the iPhone but would get in constant arguments with my wife if I didnt switch back to the iPhone.

It reminds me of Vegas where the pools like Caeser are super popular, cost $XX to get in and you have to pay $12 a drink for the same experience as a hotel off the strip you can drink (byob) and have pool time for free. I'm with friends all

You should be able to get that to work. I know with GOSMS group texts work even with iPhone users.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #3522 on: August 31, 2017, 01:24:09 AM »

Point of the story is that Apple has creating a super expensive product and service that is needlessly exclusive and has become socially so popular you are shamed for not having one.
I don't follow. Why is it Apple's fault that your phone doesn't work or that of the myriad of available communication channels you (plural) chose one not open to all devices?

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #3523 on: August 31, 2017, 01:35:11 AM »

Point of the story is that Apple has creating a super expensive product and service that is needlessly exclusive and has become socially so popular you are shamed for not having one.
I don't follow. Why is it Apple's fault that your phone doesn't work or that of the myriad of available communication channels you (plural) chose one not open to all devices?

It's not their "fault" but definitely their plan and goal.
That's why you shouldn't use the chat platform of your device manufacturer. It's like using the email address provided by by your ISP. First it seems to be convenient because it is there and it works. But it will bite you in the ass.

Speaking of him, my FIL "can't" switch to a cheaper ISP (15-20€ less per month) because his company email is an @o2online.de address. O2 would terminate the address as soon as he terminates the contract. No mail forwarding or anything.

I told him he should just make a Gmail account and tell his customers. Answer emails to the old address from the new address and they will learn it. We aren't talking about thousands of customers, maybe a dozen and most of them he meets in person very often, so loosing a contract would be very unlikely.
But it's to much effort to him...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:41:13 AM by Feivel2000 »

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3524 on: August 31, 2017, 06:04:46 AM »

I have experienced this group shaming phenomenon. If you're not following, I assume you have never experienced a group text between apple and Android phones with dropped texts, multiple threads created automatically for no reason and responses split between each thread. It's not as easy as it sounds to just move to another communication channel. Everyone uses something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3525 on: August 31, 2017, 07:47:11 AM »

I have experienced this group shaming phenomenon. If you're not following, I assume you have never experienced a group text between apple and Android phones with dropped texts, multiple threads created automatically for no reason and responses split between each thread. It's not as easy as it sounds to just move to another communication channel. Everyone uses something different.

I think that can happen even among all androids. I really am a big fan of the iMessage, and wish I could get it on an android. If I could, I wouldn't have apple anymore.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #3526 on: August 31, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
You know people who'd rather tell you to buy a 600+$ phone than install a messenger app that runs on both OSes? Mind = blown.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3527 on: August 31, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Dashboard said 15.5 mpg. She said she gets 16.5 when she drives but her husband likes to drive hard.

If true there should be face punches all around. That's the mileage a late '80s Suburban gets with a V8 350. Good Lord.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3528 on: August 31, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »

If true there should be face punches all around. That's the mileage a late '80s Suburban gets with a V8 350. Good Lord.

1989 Suburban with 350 is rated for 11/13 mpg city/highway. That averages to 12 mpg which is 29% more fuel consumed than 15.5 mpg.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3529 on: August 31, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
Perhaps I was a bit too subtle, my point was that I would have expected greater “real world” efficiency gains in 30 years of truck technology if the OP’s friend really was getting 16.5MPG on the highway. From my experience, the mall-rated  (2wd, Ecoboost, etc) trucks that never see dirt in the bed nor on the tires have reached a point where their economy is on par with mid-size sedans of years past, so while face-punch-worthy in this crowd, not every F150 on the road is a rolling gas hog.

Turbos, direct injection, 10-speed transmissions and extensive use of aluminum should (and AFAIK is) getting better MPG than my 1987 Suburban (which, despite the internet reference, does get better than the MPG suggested in completely stock trim on 87 non-E and with a 700R4). I’ve had several GMT400’s (currently have two in 4x4 trim) and 15MPG is more their domain.

And now, back to the Wall of Shame and Comedy!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3530 on: August 31, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »
Perhaps I was a bit too subtle, my point was that I would have expected greater “real world” efficiency gains in 30 years of truck technology if the OP’s friend really was getting 16.5MPG on the highway. From my experience, the mall-rated  (2wd, Ecoboost, etc) trucks that never see dirt in the bed nor on the tires have reached a point where their economy is on par with mid-size sedans of years past, so while face-punch-worthy in this crowd, not every F150 on the road is a rolling gas hog.

Turbos, direct injection, 10-speed transmissions and extensive use of aluminum should (and AFAIK is) getting better MPG than my 1987 Suburban (which, despite the internet reference, does get better than the MPG suggested in completely stock trim on 87 non-E and with a 700R4). I’ve had several GMT400’s (currently have two in 4x4 trim) and 15MPG is more their domain.

And now, back to the Wall of Shame and Comedy!

I agree and I believe both real world and paper gains have been significant over the last 30 years. My guess is the 15.5-16.5 mpg displayed in the truck is an average that is from mixed or mostly city driving. Even the worst new F150 should be getting 19 mpg on the highway (with regular gas) and the best ones get 26 mpg.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3531 on: August 31, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »
You know people who'd rather tell you to buy a 600+$ phone than install a messenger app that runs on both OSes? Mind = blown.

my kids have all tried to get me to buy them Apple phones over the last couple years because they say there group chats with their teams they cant be in. I said you want one fine, you pay the upcharge not me. Is there an app or something I can suggest? Im tired of this response but I am not caving.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3532 on: August 31, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »

my kids have all tried to get me to buy them Apple phones over the last couple years because they say there group chats with their teams they cant be in. I said you want one fine, you pay the upcharge not me. Is there an app or something I can suggest? Im tired of this response but I am not caving.
WhatsApp. Very popular outside the USA. Encrypted messages. You can set up groups.
OTOH, it's owned by FaceBook.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #3533 on: August 31, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »

I find this really odd. I'm not really up on all the messenger apps but since everyone I know has Facebook, we all use the Facebook messenger apps or groups. My son's footy team created a private group page for parents on Facebook (he's 8) and posted there. Even my 6yo daughter's dance class has a Facebook group page. I get notified every time someone posts so it might as well be messenger.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3534 on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »

I find this really odd. I'm not really up on all the messenger apps but since everyone I know has Facebook, we all use the Facebook messenger apps or groups. My son's footy team created a private group page for parents on Facebook (he's 8) and posted there. Even my 6yo daughter's dance class has a Facebook group page. I get notified every time someone posts so it might as well be messenger.
Not to mention you can have different threads discussing different things at the same time (dance lessons, costume prep, etc). Why are people so hung up on group texts?

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #3535 on: August 31, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »
My friends and me all had jobs (until recently) that paid for the phones. I admit I would be annoyed at friends that didn't have iPhones until I realized the cost of the iPhones when you paid for it yourselves and just this week test drive a moto g4.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3536 on: August 31, 2017, 10:55:49 PM »

WhatsApp. Very popular outside the USA. Encrypted messages. You can set up groups.

DH and I are in Europe right now, and his European relatives set him up on WhatsApp. So yeah, popular here.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #3537 on: September 01, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »
Even better than WhatsApp is Telegram. Don't thank me :)

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #3538 on: September 01, 2017, 12:27:51 AM »
Or Signal or Slack or Skype or ICQ

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #3539 on: September 01, 2017, 04:04:39 AM »

I can't even people who prefer imessage over WhatsApp. So useful for communicating with people with other devices, not to mention the computer integration. Just last week my relatives said I *need* an iPhone so I can join their group texts..  When WhatsApp does that so much better.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3540 on: September 01, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »
American guy using an iPhone and I'm USA based. I only use WhatsApp and Telegram for group chats. Even with fellow iPhone users. Members exist in the group chats from all around the World.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #3541 on: September 01, 2017, 08:42:57 AM »
Not sure where to put this story since it really isnt a shaming story and I'm the relative who just doesn't get it due to my mustachian ways...

My sister lives outside Austin and is texting us how all the gas stations around her are out of gas. Partly due to supply/partly due to fear with every truck in Texas fueling up. It took me a few minutes to comprehend how this would severely impact her life living 30 minutes outside the city in hills and in a community meant to drive every where. As any self-centered human being, I looked at it from my lifestyle and was like what's the big deal. My car has been sitting with 3/4 tank of gas for two weeks. I couldn't even comprehend the problem at first.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3542 on: September 01, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
American guy using an iPhone and I'm USA based. I only use WhatsApp and Telegram for group chats. Even with fellow iPhone users. Members exist in the group chats from all around the World.

I LOVE Whatsapp. I import products and it is just so useful for talking and sending images and files back my manufacturers to me, and I can send them out to my customers and get an immediate response. I also love that you can send messages on your desktop which is nice as it has most of my documents saved on it and I can type messages faster.

Rockne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3543 on: September 01, 2017, 09:46:19 AM »
Not sure where to put this story since it really isnt a shaming story and I'm the relative who just doesn't get it due to my mustachian ways...

My sister lives outside Austin and is texting us how all the gas stations around her are out of gas. Partly due to supply/partly due to fear with every truck in Texas fueling up. It took me a few minutes to comprehend how this would severely impact her life living 30 minutes outside the city in hills and in a community meant to drive every where. As any self-centered human being, I looked at it from my lifestyle and was like what's the big deal. My car has been sitting with 3/4 tank of gas for two weeks. I couldn't even comprehend the problem at first.

DFW is seeing the gas "crisis" today as well. Far too many people here at my office that have hour+ long commutes and couldn't come in today because they couldn't get fuel. Plus side is that it is nice and quiet here in the office!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3544 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »

But, but, you're only in a good situation because you're lucky...

:)

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3545 on: September 01, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Another +1 for WhatsApp. And a huge +1 for Slack. I use it for work but I created separate groups for personal use as well. A million times better than group text.

www.slack.com

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3546 on: September 01, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
Or Signal or Slack or Skype or ICQ
WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption was developed in collaboration with Open Whisper Systems, the company that makes Signal.
The problem is that most of my contacts don't know that Telegram or Signal exists. But almost everyone has WhatsApp.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #3547 on: September 01, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »
Or group.me

Just any messanger, not exclusive to Apple.

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3548 on: September 01, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »

I wasn't clear on that. They want us to all have the same phone for the other features exclusive to iPhone like photo sharing and iCloud

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3549 on: September 01, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »
I've had some limited success getting people to use Telegram - I like it because I can install it on my laptop, I don't have to have a mobile device that uses apps.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!