Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3478874 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #2900 on: May 06, 2017, 06:07:35 AM »
It's such a shame that people don't respect boundaries. WE never had any problems with my parents or the in-laws. If I had family like some of you guys I would not even tell them I was pregnant until a month after the baby was born:))   Of course this only works if you live in different towns.

Seriously already thinking about how long we can keep the news from my mother if we ever have children - of both birth and pregnancy. Mainly because we have a precarious entente which is largely built upon never saying anything other than small talk, and I can see how we'd get into deeper conversation pretty quickly about children. She'd ask about the birth plan, I'd obfuscate but eventually have to tell her, she'd make some passive-aggressive but deniable veiled criticism, I have to decide whether to play nice to keep the peace or enforce boundaries and start an argument and be accused of criticising HER... Oh man. (And iowajes, I sympathise with struggling to enforce boundaries - no one wants to pour petrol onto embers if the embers will just keep glowing quietly by themselves, but you still get burned by embers.) If I could keep the entire pregnancy and existence of the child secret from her forever, I would.

Just as a datapoint, we're closing in on 4 years of keeping the news from my MIL.  We do live a long way away, and communication is intentionally limited.

And I'm not going to get into all of her crazy, nasty stuff over the years. That would be for my wife to tell.

You successfully kept a 3-year-old hidden from the in-laws? The logistics alone sound like a good story. (/fetches popcorn)

Um, it's not that dramatic.

She lives 2,000 miles away, doesn't fly and the last time we visited, DW was ~4 months pregnant (which went un-noticed)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2901 on: May 06, 2017, 06:15:37 AM »

Yes. Please please please explain how you actually do this while still having some contact with her. And how the "Hey, guess we should tell MIL about the baby" - "You know, we don't actually have to..." converation went. Does anyone else on that side of the family know, and how have they not told her?

Apparently I should have come back to this thread sooner....

Contact is email and phone calls, and my FIL and all the generation before that have died.  Nobody on that side knows. My parents do talk to MIL on occasion, but have kept quiet by request. They are aware of the generalities of why.

MIL is not a nice person. She abused DW growing up (until she got physically big enough to stop it) and I saw numerous times of her being very nasty and manipulative. She's performed ID theft on DW multiple times. During college (DW had worked and saved) - she stripped DW's bank account right before tuition was due.

On the flip side - if she wants something from you, she can be very, very sweet and convincing. Runs an effective con.

FIL was a great guy, hard working, caring, very capable with anything mechanical/physical-work related - but very little education. 4th grade, IIRC.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2902 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »
SIL is visiting. Visit is going well. But we went to a winery and had drinks and pizza.  When we were done they asked us if we wanted a to go box. We said yes.  She laughed and said for two slices?". Um, hell yes. That's lunch!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2903 on: May 07, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »
SIL is visiting. Visit is going well. But we went to a winery and had drinks and pizza.  When we were done they asked us if we wanted a to go box. We said yes.  She laughed and said for two slices?". Um, hell yes. That's lunch!

?  how would someone not be all over some leftover pizza?  Cold day old pizza for breakfast is better than any omelet or pancakes - fact.  It is not even at the level of wasting food or thriftiness this is about taste and awesomeness and pizza.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:45:21 PM by AlanStache »

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2904 on: May 07, 2017, 07:48:29 PM »

?  how would someone not be all over some leftover pizza?  Cold day old pizza for breakfast is better than any omelet or pancakes - fact.  It is not even at the level of wasting food or thriftiness this is about taste and awesomeness and pizza.

Cold pizza is sometimes better than when it was fresh ;)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2905 on: May 08, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
Exactly. Most "Italian" food is better on Day 2. I'm not much for cold pizza but thankfully someone invented those microwave thingies...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2906 on: May 08, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
Just found out that my boyfriend's parents have kept his and his sister's crib all these years so that their grandchildren could use it one day. 28 years now.

If the cribs hadn't been destroyed I doubt they would have been used anyway. Safety standard and knowledge have changed a lot in that time and many things from back then are no longer considered acceptable. I certainly would not put my kid in a 30 year-old crib while I am happy to accept a gently used pack-n-play from friends.

You wouldn't believe the arguments it took to convince my mom to get rid of the highchair and the stroller. Luckily, the crib was given to someone a very long time ago.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2907 on: May 08, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »

I've since learned she doesn't eat leftovers, but also doesn't think you should take them home if you have less than half the meal.
Weird.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2908 on: May 08, 2017, 11:15:02 PM »
But... lunch is a meal?

Maybe this is related to a weight loss thing.   Many people take the food home, then eat it that night, after all.  :-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2909 on: May 09, 2017, 03:06:06 AM »
No,half the meal you are eating. So like half the pizza.  She said she understands some people think portions are too big, and split it to take home, but taking home a little bit you didn't finish is weird.

But she personally thinks reheating anything is gross. Good apparently should only be cooked once. She won't even do make ahead meals where you cook it freeze it and then reheat.

But she did eat a hot dog. I didn't tell her the factory precooked it...

But other than this my SIL is pretty cool and it was a great visit, and she's getting better at saving and non wasteful spending than 10 years ago.  She even took us up on the offer of airport snacks from home so she didn't have to but anything.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2910 on: May 09, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »

But she personally thinks reheating anything is gross. Good apparently should only be cooked once. She won't even do make ahead meals where you cook it freeze it and then reheat.

Hmm.. sounds like my DH, although he doesn't say "gross" and eats what he gets, I can tell he thinks it.   
I have to really disguise something into new cooked food for him to think it is good the second time around (like putting roast beef into enchiladas).  But what's the point of that?  Leftovers should allow you to only cook 3-4 times a week, IMO.   

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2911 on: May 09, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
Does it seem to anyone else that the people who refuse to eat leftovers are usually not the people doing the cooking?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2912 on: May 09, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
YES!

I had two leftover strips of BBQ brisket with my lunch sandwich today. Was so good even cold. While our dog would certainly appreciate it, I wasn't in a sharing mood and she was at home while I was at work.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2913 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06:30 PM »
I love leftovers, but I know many people, it seems, that refuse to eat them.  I really don't get it, is it the idea that it's "leftover" gross/unappealing, or the texture, or what?  If you cut a few slices of cheese, do you throw away the rest of the block? The rest of the milk after serving some at dinner? Basically anything in the fridge that you keep for several uses is "leftover." 

I am baffled by this viewpoint.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2914 on: May 09, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
Does it seem to anyone else that the people who refuse to eat leftovers are usually not the people doing the cooking?

This.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2915 on: May 09, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
I love leftovers, but I know many people, it seems, that refuse to eat them.  I really don't get it, is it the idea that it's "leftover" gross/unappealing, or the texture, or what?  If you cut a few slices of cheese, do you throw away the rest of the block? The rest of the milk after serving some at dinner? Basically anything in the fridge that you keep for several uses is "leftover." 

I guess I could understand the texture thing--there are certain things that only work while fresh (french fries, smoothies, certain sandwiches, and IMHO, eggs)... But many foods are just as good, or close to it leftover. Certain foods are better!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2916 on: May 09, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »

I guess I could understand the texture thing--there are certain things that only work while fresh (french fries, smoothies, certain sandwiches, and IMHO, eggs)... But many foods are just as good, or close to it leftover. Certain foods are better!
Virtually every single person I have ever heard poo-poo leftovers had a body I found unappealing.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2917 on: May 09, 2017, 01:46:14 PM »

I cook all of my food on Sunday, usually 3-4 recipes. My problem is that I hate eating the same thing over and over. This usually results in my boyfriend eating some of my portions when he comes back for the weekend. Still, I don't use that as an excuse to eat out for lunch or dinner. I just eat some toast or something simple as a meal or just skip lunch altogether. I never get takeout when I'm alone--the only exceptions in the past year were Christmas and my birthday. Takeout/restaurants are purely for a social gathering or date. I'll never understand how people can eat restaurant food on a daily basis, by themselves.

Fiscal_Hawk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2918 on: May 09, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »

I've since learned she doesn't eat leftovers, but also doesn't think you should take them home if you have less than half the meal.
Weird.

That is odd. I figure you paid for the meal. If you don't consume it all, you should take it home and finish it at another time. Otherwise, you are wasting food and money.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #2919 on: May 09, 2017, 02:23:19 PM »

Weird.

That is odd. I figure you paid for the meal. If you don't consume it all, you should take it home and finish it at another time. Otherwise, you are wasting food and money.

I've been known to take home other people's leftovers as well (only those at my table, like family or friends, who I trust not to have mouth health issues, of course). Food is food. And good food in the garbage is unacceptable to me.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2920 on: May 09, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
I've taken other people's leftovers if it is something Like sushi rolls where they didn't touch it with their mouth.

I don't eat out much (and really trying not to with my current gauntlet) but if I pay for it, I eat every bite.

And all our cooked meals at home are made with lunches in mind.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2921 on: May 10, 2017, 05:57:09 AM »
I've been known to take home other people's leftovers as well (only those at my table, like family or friends, who I trust not to have mouth health issues, of course). Food is food. And good food in the garbage is unacceptable to me.
I've taken other people's leftovers if it is something Like sushi rolls where they didn't touch it with their mouth.

I don't eat out much (and really trying not to with my current gauntlet) but if I pay for it, I eat every bite.

And all our cooked meals at home are made with lunches in mind.

I was born and raised in a 3rd world country. The thought of food waste is terrifying to me. It was normal for middle-class school children to raise money for charities like "Freedom from Hunger" and collect food and clothing donations. And then go on the donation drive to distribute these.
I get a lot of stick for behavior like Iowajes' and TravelJunkyQC's.
A waste is a terrible thing to mind. It's worse than going to hell for a Mustachian.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2922 on: May 10, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
And good food in the garbage is unacceptable to me.

I was born and raised in a 3rd world country. The thought of food waste is terrifying to me

I can't imagine what it must be like to have been raised like that, but I can appreciate how it would give you a very different perspective on food and the waste that you see all around you. It isn't the same, but my grandmother grew up in England during war rationing and to this day finishes every single scrap of food on her plate, whether she is hungry or not.

We really could be better about not letting food go to waste in our fridge. Actually, the burden mostly falls upon me since my kid gets three meals a day at daycare and my husband gets three free meals a day at work (!). The thing I console myself with when tossing stuff that went bad is that at least it is going into the compost, and next year we'll go pick up a big bag of beautiful, warm, dark soil that is currently making my tomato plants go nuts in the garden.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2923 on: May 10, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »
A few years ago my DH was preapproved to have an expensive procedure for cancer done at an out of network hospital for the in network price. So the insurance pays the out of network price etc and I fight with them and the hospital for a year. I did not pay the bill because I knew from working for an insurance company decades ago that once the $ was paid good luck getting it back from the hospital. So finally I go in person to the insurance company and get a supervisor to work on it. I tried to do the same at the hospital but they only allow phone calls about bills. If you go in person they lie and tell y that department is in another state I found out later.  So the insurance is motivated to get this resolved and it turns out that the hospital failed to ask the insurance company for something that was required for them to pay the in-network price and it was their responsibility.  Bottom line is the hospital is out the $ not me.  Once you pay it is all over but the crying.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2924 on: May 10, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »
I've gotten multiple reimbursements from my hospital.usually when they charged a copay without realizing I had met my out of pocket max.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #2925 on: May 10, 2017, 11:11:07 PM »
Some people seem to be more prone to drama than others...

Second or third cousins.  The wife decided to sell the home three years ago and move to be closer to her sister.  To a bigger home with a gourmet kitchen.  Shortly afterwards, she starts complaining about the mortgage costs.  She can only work part time for health reasons.  Her husband, well, can't keep a job,  bad temper and all.   But someone gave them a mortgage and now they have a nice home with a gourmet kitchen.  The wife and her sister don't meet much - we hear complaints that the sister seems to be avoiding the wife.

There is more.  Last month, the wife decided to buy a new car, a Cadillac or a Lincoln to boot.  So her husband went out and bought a new car as well.  Two days ago... the wife didn't stop on time and hit a truck stopped at a red light from the back.  Six and half thousand dollars to fix the front end where it came into an intimate contact with the truck.   They used to be just house poor.  Now they are car-poor, too.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2926 on: May 10, 2017, 11:22:21 PM »

Second or third cousins.  The wife decided to sell the home three years ago and move to be closer to her sister.  To a bigger home with a gourmet kitchen.  Shortly afterwards, she starts complaining about the mortgage costs.  She can only work part time for health reasons.  Her husband, well, can't keep a job,  bad temper and all.   But someone gave them a mortgage and now they have a nice home with a gourmet kitchen.  The wife and her sister don't meet much - we hear complaints that the sister seems to be avoiding the wife.

There is more.  Last month, the wife decided to buy a new car, a Cadillac or a Lincoln to boot.  So her husband went out and bought a new car as well.  Two days ago... the wife didn't stop on time and hit a truck stopped at a red light from the back. Six and half thousand dollars to fix the front end where it came into an intimate contact with the truck.   They used to be just house poor.  Now they are car-poor, too.

Either their insurance will cover it or they paid cash for their vehicles.  Nobody will give you a loan without comprehensive/collision coverage.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2927 on: May 11, 2017, 08:29:43 AM »
I was looking at eBay the other day. Those luxury vehicles with automatic speed adjusting cruise control? They rely on a sensor in the grill of the car that costs multiple thousands of dollars. A small rear-ender could get expensive fast.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2928 on: May 11, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »

There is more.  Last month, the wife decided to buy a new car, a Cadillac or a Lincoln to boot.  So her husband went out and bought a new car as well.  Two days ago... the wife didn't stop on time and hit a truck stopped at a red light from the back. Six and half thousand dollars to fix the front end where it came into an intimate contact with the truck.   They used to be just house poor.  Now they are car-poor, too.

Either their insurance will cover it or they paid cash for their vehicles.  Nobody will give you a loan without comprehensive/collision coverage.

They could have paid for the damages out of pocket.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2929 on: May 11, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »

I use to work for an insurance company. People would call up and cancel their insurance all the time after driving their car off the lot, as they couldn't afford the premiums

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2930 on: May 11, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
A few years ago I switched from one telephone company to another.

The phone kept working after the transfer-over day so I figured all was well.

Then I got two bills, and the old company's bill wasn't a partial month bill.

So I contacted both parties and asked them to figure it out.

Both said they were supplying the service and I should pay them.

I told them there was no way I could possibly know who was telling the truth, so they needed to work it out among themselves and let me know when they were in agreement.  Until then,  I would pay neither of them, since the only leverage I had over the situation is that they wanted my money and I still had it.

This went on for about 4 months.

At that point, I was tired of dealing with it.

I called them both up and explained to them the following facts:

1) One of them was telling the truth and, therefore, one of them was not.
2) I had 4 months of bills from the party that was billing me for services they were not providing.
3) As far as I was concerned, billing me for services they were not providing, after having 4 months to clear up any honest mistakes, was fraudulent behavior.
4) Since the fraudulent bills were sent by the US Postal service, that constituted 4 counts of mail fraud.
5) If it wasn't settled in 3 days I would be letting the United States Postal Service and the United States Prosecutor decide who was telling the truth.
6) I would also be contacting the relevant federal and state agencies, and my federal and state legislators, to apprise them of this fraudulent behavior.

The problem got solved in less than 3 days.

And people wonder why I resist getting my official invoices from companies via email...

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #2931 on: May 12, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »

Yeah, but the insurance premium will go up.  The wife was at fault.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2932 on: May 12, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »

I use to work for an insurance company. People would call up and cancel their insurance all the time after driving their car off the lot, as they couldn't afford the premiums

I remember when I was in Ohio there was a company that sold policies just for this. They were like 2 week policies. I couldn't believe it was legal.  Not just collision but liability too.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2933 on: May 12, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
When I was younger my state didn't even require insurance. Some people didn't carry it.

When I was living overseas there was a backroom operation I knew about that would print insurance papers for about the price of dinner. How you used it was your problem. Looked real but wouldn't survive a call to the insurance company of course. Police used to do spot checks on insurance and registration.Ii can't imagine taking the risk of lying.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #2934 on: May 14, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
I was chatting with my brother yesterday who is mid-30s. He was complaining that it is non-optional that money gets taken off his paycheque each month for his pension (and matched by his employer). I made the point that he would want to save it anyway, and he objected saying that he wouldn't want to save that much - $400!!!

And in the next breath saying he wished he could retire in 10 years...
hm... cause and effect, bro. SMH

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2935 on: May 15, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »
Despite having a fully paid off operable vehicle, my MIL decided she needed a hybrid electric car. It would've cost about $38,000 to purchase but decided to lease the car instead. Cheaper payments! Plus she will save so much on gas!

After 3 years she has put about 8,000 miles total on the leased car, which is no surprise as she almost never leaves the house and if she does, never goes more than 3 miles away from home. She loves to brag how her gas bill for the whole year was like $50. Never mind the fact she saved a measly $500 a year in gas in her old car but paid over $3000 a year in lease payments plus higher insurance on top of that. She even decided to pay extra payments on the lease even though this does not lower the residual amount, so basically gives you a return of 0%. She just thought it would be a good idea to pay extra on the lease.

The lease is up, she can buy out the car for $20k. But instead she returns it, she needs the new model! And one with more bells and whistles!! The new fancier model is about $45k because it is all decked out. She can buy it new and loves to show off she can get 0% financing because her credit score is so good! Car payment will be $750 a month! But instead, goes with a lease again.

This, coming from the same person who constantly complains she can't afford to fly to see her kids, ever take a vacation, hire someone to work on the deferred maintenance on their house, etc...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2936 on: May 16, 2017, 01:43:51 AM »

I wonder how surprised they are when their bank calls their loan...

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #2937 on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:39 AM »
Despite having a fully paid off operable vehicle, my MIL decided she needed a hybrid electric car. It would've cost about $38,000 to purchase but decided to lease the car instead. Cheaper payments! Plus she will save so much on gas!

After 3 years she has put about 8,000 miles total on the leased car, which is no surprise as she almost never leaves the house and if she does, never goes more than 3 miles away from home. She loves to brag how her gas bill for the whole year was like $50. Never mind the fact she saved a measly $500 a year in gas in her old car but paid over $3000 a year in lease payments plus higher insurance on top of that. She even decided to pay extra payments on the lease even though this does not lower the residual amount, so basically gives you a return of 0%. She just thought it would be a good idea to pay extra on the lease.

The lease is up, she can buy out the car for $20k. But instead she returns it, she needs the new model! And one with more bells and whistles!! The new fancier model is about $45k because it is all decked out. She can buy it new and loves to show off she can get 0% financing because her credit score is so good! Car payment will be $750 a month! But instead, goes with a lease again.

This, coming from the same person who constantly complains she can't afford to fly to see her kids, ever take a vacation, hire someone to work on the deferred maintenance on their house, etc...

Argh!!! This is making me mad!

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2938 on: May 16, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
Relative who shall remain nameless (age roughly 70) is planning to buy a new refrigerator because the ice maker is broken, and to buy a new oven because (I can't even believe I'm typing this) the oven is "embarrassingly" dirty on the inside and she "doesn't get inside ovens."

Yes, she is buying a new oven because the oven is dirty.  She doesn't know if the oven has a self-cleaning cycle (which would mean that she would not have to "get inside" it to clean it), and doesn't want to try to find out.

DH and I offered to clean it for her next time we visit (cross-country travel involved, so likely not until Christmas), and to help her find a fridge repair service for the ice maker, but she doesn't want to wait that long.

The mind boggles.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2939 on: May 16, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »
Relative who shall remain nameless (age roughly 70) is planning to buy a new refrigerator because the ice maker is broken

LOL, my house came with the fridge and freezer and it didn't contain an ice maker. When I was looking for roommates one potential asked about that and I shrugged saying, "It came with the house, I wasn't about to go out and buy it for ice." He nodded and smiled and said, "Hell if I really want ice that bad I'll just buy a bag." He moved in not long afterwards and has been a pleasure to have as a roommate.

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #2940 on: May 16, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
Do people not know about that fancy invention - the ice cube tray?? You can even get ones in silly shapes! I've never owned a fridge with an ice maker, even my new one bought last year doesn't have this feature?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2941 on: May 16, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
Maybe she just really wants a fridge and oven that gets The Twitter and The Facebook so she can see pics of the grand-babies that someone never seems to get around to snail mailing :-) .  Is she just making excuses to get a new appliances?  If she wants new ones and can afford it she should go for it and skip the dumb excuse. 

Personally I see no need to own smart appliances like "Talkie Toaster the chirpy breakfast companion" but someone might if it were cold outside, since there is no kind of atmosphere, and they are all alone. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2942 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »
I'll kill a talking breakfast appliance unless it was a talking coffee maker trying to calm me and make it better until the coffee was done... ;)

Some refrigerators come without an ice maker but there are screw holes and slots to easily add one. I bought one some years ago to retrofit a fridge and it was cheap as I recall. They are fridge specific of course. I had to run a water (I chose copper) line under the kitchen and tap into a copper water line but it was crazy easy and cheap too.

I did ice trays for years. I like my ice - part of my summer survival equipment. Ice+tea or ice+water. Repeat often.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2943 on: May 17, 2017, 08:56:41 AM »
You can also buy an ice maker that isn't connected to a fridge... I think I saw some for about 150.
Which... I'd rather that than add a part to my fridge  that, according to EEVRY repair person I've spoken to, is flimsy and breaks more than anything else ever.

Ok, I'd rather use trays and buy bags of ice for parties if needed. But. Yknow.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2944 on: May 17, 2017, 11:44:10 AM »
I'll kill a talking breakfast appliance unless it was a talking coffee maker trying to calm me and make it better until the coffee was done... ;)

Some refrigerators come without an ice maker but there are screw holes and slots to easily add one. I bought one some years ago to retrofit a fridge and it was cheap as I recall. They are fridge specific of course. I had to run a water (I chose copper) line under the kitchen and tap into a copper water line but it was crazy easy and cheap too.

I did ice trays for years. I like my ice - part of my summer survival equipment. Ice+tea or ice+water. Repeat often.
I have ice trays at home (when we bought our fridge in 2001, didn't think we needed an ice maker).
My company fridge is essentially the same one, with an ice maker.  It broke.  Let me tell you, the morale was looking really low for a month with no ice.  And someone had taken our ice cube trays years ago.  Luckily, they replaced the ice maker.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2945 on: May 17, 2017, 11:38:11 PM »

I have ice trays at home (when we bought our fridge in 2001, didn't think we needed an ice maker).
My company fridge is essentially the same one, with an ice maker.  It broke.  Let me tell you, the morale was looking really low for a month with no ice.  And someone had taken our ice cube trays years ago.  Luckily, they replaced the ice maker.

The fridge that came with my house has an ice maker.  I like it.  It also has an integrated water filter / instant cold filtered water.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2946 on: May 18, 2017, 06:33:15 AM »
You can also buy an ice maker that isn't connected to a fridge... I think I saw some for about 150.
Which... I'd rather that than add a part to my fridge  that, according to EEVRY repair person I've spoken to, is flimsy and breaks more than anything else ever.

Ok, I'd rather use trays and buy bags of ice for parties if needed. But. Yknow.

We have a small stand alone icemaker for use in our RV.  My wife is an ice junkie, seriously. I could give a rat's ass if the the last cube on the planet melted yesterday. We have this little monument to consumerism for  two reasons. First, the RV freezer is small, so it's ice cube tray production or use the space for the normal freezer goods, not both. Second, we were at an RV show and they had a deal, with the $150 machine marked down to $99, then another 50% off.  That said, the thing makes ridiculously poor quality ice. The process involves spraying water on to the ceiling of the unit where it clings to small stainless steel probes. These freeze and provide a hollow bullet shaped "cube". The machine has to heat the probes to release the cubes. The finished product is soft, air filled, and barely at freezing. Useless as tits on a mule, IMHO.  The wife loves it :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2947 on: May 18, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »
We have a stand alone ice maker at work. Looks like a tall college dorm room fridge. Makes good ice faster than we can use it. During the summer we're all get scoops of ice for our water. Healthier than the vending machine. 

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #2948 on: May 18, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
We have a stand alone ice maker at work. Looks like a tall college dorm room fridge. Makes good ice faster than we can use it. During the summer we're all get scoops of ice for our water. Healthier than the vending machine.
I use the ice machine at work all the time. It is fine, but I would rather have the little crunchy ice bits like you get from some fast food places. The work one make big chunks. Hey, we Texans are particular about our ice. At the end of the fiscal year we spend stupid amounts of money because, you know...use it or loose it. This year I voted for a new ice maker (we don't actually get to vote, but we get to throw out ideas) but no, this year we all got new office chairs and standing desk things to raise the computer. And yes, I pointed out how stupid it was to get both of those items.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2949 on: May 18, 2017, 02:07:43 PM »
I use the ice machine at work all the time. It is fine, but I would rather have the little crunchy ice bits like you get from some fast food places. The work one make big chunks. Hey, we Texans are particular about our ice. At the end of the fiscal year we spend stupid amounts of money because, you know...use it or loose it. This year I voted for a new ice maker (we don't actually get to vote, but we get to throw out ideas) but no, this year we all got new office chairs and standing desk things to raise the computer. And yes, I pointed out how stupid it was to get both of those items.

Are you kidding? I would kill for a standing desk! Count your blessings!