Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3478963 times)

gillstone

• Bristles
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #1500 on: June 20, 2016, 10:18:18 AM »
My older sister recently decided that for her daughter's first birthday she'd do something small.  She's just going to drive 300 miles, rent a park pavilion, and buy enough food to feed 40.  BTW she'll be doing it while she and her gentleman friend are working low wage jobs and still not living in a place of their own.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get item b
« Reply #1501 on: June 20, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
My older sister recently decided that for her daughter's first birthday she'd do something small.  She's just going to drive 300 miles, rent a park pavilion, and buy enough food to feed 40.  BTW she'll be doing it while she and her gentleman friend are working low wage jobs and still not living in a place of their own.

... Wow. Well, at least the kid isn't old enough to remember and have that be the set standard of expectation. But wow.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1502 on: June 20, 2016, 02:37:27 PM »

... Wow. Well, at least the kid isn't old enough to remember and have that be the set standard of expectation. But wow.

LOL, could they put any less effort into it?  That sounds so blase.  And a kid will only get a 1st birthday party once in their life, so it really sucks when the parents just don't do anything special to celebrate.  Are they at least buying multiple cakes and hiring a professional photographer?  /all sarcasm/

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1503 on: June 20, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »

LOL, could they put any less effort into it?  That sounds so blase.  And a kid will only get a 1st birthday party once in their life, so it really sucks when the parents just don't do anything special to celebrate.  Are they at least buying multiple cakes and hiring a professional photographer?  /all sarcasm/

GO BIG OR....stay home?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1504 on: June 20, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »

GO BIG OR....stay home?

Oh, I LOVE the "only have a first birthday once" piece of nonsense. Like, Yes, that's how it works. One a year. A different number each time. Novel concept.

DutchV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1505 on: June 20, 2016, 06:13:50 PM »
And here's more from the "people can't be trusted" department:

In 1977, my mother's brother came to stay with us.  He'd gotten divorced and needed a place to stay while he got back on his feet (or so the story goes).  My father loaned him some tools so he could work as a mechanic. Things went okay for a week or two.  Then he talked Dad into cosigning a loan for $1,300 to consolidate his debts.  Of course, we can all see where this is headed: the deadbeat skips town without ever making a payment, taking the tools and leaving my family stuck with his debt.

We didn't see much of him afterwards.  He never did send any money.   He'd come by occasionally during the day to visit Mom when he knew Dad would be away.  I don't think I've seen him in forty years to say more than "hi".  And I'm pretty much okay with that.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1506 on: June 20, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »

GO BIG OR....stay home?

Oh, I LOVE the "only have a first birthday once" piece of nonsense. Like, Yes, that's how it works. One a year. A different number each time. Novel concept.

My sister and her husband had a really swanky first birthday for one of their children. It was over the top with catered food, entertainment, hall rental, lots of invitations (a bunch of family flew in for it). I didn't want to say anything but I kept thinking, 'Does she realize that her daughter won't remember a moment of it and she likely isn't enjoying this party at all.' And then I would just shrug and go to the open bar for a drink.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #1507 on: June 20, 2016, 07:01:10 PM »

In 1977, my mother's brother came to stay with us.  He'd gotten divorced and needed a place to stay while he got back on his feet (or so the story goes).  My father loaned him some tools so he could work as a mechanic. Things went okay for a week or two.  Then he talked Dad into cosigning a loan for $1,300 to consolidate his debts.  Of course, we can all see where this is headed: the deadbeat skips town without ever making a payment, taking the tools and leaving my family stuck with his debt.

We didn't see much of him afterwards.  He never did send any money.   He'd come by occasionally during the day to visit Mom when he knew Dad would be away.  I don't think I've seen him in forty years to say more than "hi".  And I'm pretty much okay with that.

Sounds like a relatively cheap way to get rid of a shitty person.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1508 on: June 20, 2016, 07:04:39 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. $1300 then would be around $5300, plus you would have the cost of the tools, but that isn't so bad as he seems like the type to leach money from your mother slowly over time, and could end up costing much more than $5300.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1509 on: June 20, 2016, 07:15:29 PM »

+1

In my younger days, I would sometimes extend a $5, $10, or even $20 loan to one of these miscreants.  Essentially I was buying my way into turning them down for future advances based on "You never paid me back for the $X I loaned you last year!"

Delivered with an overwrought sense of outrage, I usually managed to get them out of my life forever.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1510 on: June 21, 2016, 07:10:28 AM »
In my younger days, I would sometimes extend a $5, $10, or even $20 loan to one of these miscreants.  Essentially I was buying my way into turning them down for future advances based on "You never paid me back for the $X I loaned you last year!"

Delivered with an overwrought sense of outrage, I usually managed to get them out of my life forever.

I think there's a scene like this in the movie _A Bronx Tale_, where the older man tells his protegee "If you loan someone twenty bucks and never see him again, it was worth it."

DutchV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1511 on: June 21, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »

He was the same uncle that was told to go into the Air Force to avoid jail.  I'm sure that Dad had his arm twisted pretty hard by Mom before he signed the loan. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1512 on: June 21, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »

I think there's a scene like this in the movie _A Bronx Tale_, where the older man tells his protegee "If you loan someone twenty bucks and never see him again, it was worth it."

I saw that line on a poster inside a Jimmy John's many years ago. It's great to hear it's original source.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1513 on: June 22, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »
I got one, but I imagine it's a fairly common scenario.

When my now husband and I were engaged, a lot of my female relatives were anxious to see 'the rock'. When I explained that I didn't get an engagement ring because I rarely wear jewelry and think diamonds are a waste of money, most of them waved that off and said that if he really loved me then he would show it by getting the biggest diamond he could afford, even if I said I didn't want one. The fact that he didn't buy one against my wishes meant he didn't really care about me. My SIL in particular was so insistent that I even started to doubt him a little bit, until I remembered how scary my father is and no man would propose marriage after meeting him unless he was serious.

Sadly, I think I lost a fair bit of status in their eyes by not having some bling.

I'm glad you feel this way. I absolutely hate the diamond notion and if I find someone that I want to marry I hope she agrees. If not, I'll likely bite the bullet and buy her a ring.
DW and I talked extensively about this, and she actually talked me out of spending $$$ on a ring. Instead we dropped $$$ on a trip to see her family, a few days in the rain forest, and a few other priceless experiences. We got $35 LOTR costume rings that we love... hehehe

The LOTR rings are awesome! (says the person with a cat named Arwen).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1514 on: June 22, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
DW and I talked extensively about this, and she actually talked me out of spending $$$ on a ring. Instead we dropped $$$ on a trip to see her family, a few days in the rain forest, and a few other priceless experiences. We got $35 LOTR costume rings that we love... hehehe

I've never had so much nerd respect for another human being. Well done, sir.

+ 1 to this. Someone brings me to the Green Dragon and proposes with an LOTR ring and I'm done, I'm saying yes.
I only know one Green Dragon...are you in Lancaster County?

It's from LOTR... I didn't know there actually WAS one in real life. I must go!
Ach! so sorry...quite different from LOTR! It's a huge swap meet/farmer's market/auction in PA.

eta: and, it's dry as well, sad to say...

We have a Green Dragon here in Boston. Lovely little spot with live music and all.

Frodo and his compatriots wouldn't be out of place either, always an interesting crowd. Used to go a fair amount in my Pre-Mustachian phase.

I'm going. Promise.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1515 on: June 22, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
Well, you know, if you buy a bigger house with a larger mortgage, you can get a larger tax deduction from your mortgage interest!  *nodnod*

(advice from my dad.  I don't get his thing about tax deductions, but he seems to think that if you spend more to get a bigger tax deduction, you somehow come out ahead)

Haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been said but I always counter with "I could also donate an extra $10K to charity to get about a $3K tax break." 

I knew someone who didn't want to invest in taxable accounts because she didn't want to pay more taxes.  By the same logic, she should turn down all pay raises...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1516 on: June 22, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »
Well, you know, if you buy a bigger house with a larger mortgage, you can get a larger tax deduction from your mortgage interest!  *nodnod*

(advice from my dad.  I don't get his thing about tax deductions, but he seems to think that if you spend more to get a bigger tax deduction, you somehow come out ahead)

Haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been said but I always counter with "I could also donate an extra $10K to charity to get about a $3K tax break." 

I knew someone who didn't want to invest in taxable accounts because she didn't want to pay more taxes.  By the same logic, she should turn down all pay raises...

Sage house advice, like 'buy more than you think you can afford.' Thanks mom.

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #1517 on: June 22, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »
Sooo just found out that my brother bought a brand new dirt bike. She got a $5000 engagement ring and he's  been complaining ever since about what he gets.  So he went out and got this. Also on credit. He had to rent a truck to get it and then didn't return it in time and had to pay another $100.

He lives in the city so not sure how he's going to get it out to the country to ride it. I expect a truck purchase any day now.

He got mad when asked  what he would do if he hurt himself and couldn't work or if he thought that his soon to be wife and 14 month old child would be enjoying the bike as well.

They complain about having no money and she wants an extravagant wedding. 

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1518 on: June 23, 2016, 06:24:39 AM »
In a Skype conversation with my father. I live in Australia, so it's currently winter.

"Hey Salivanth, I thought your room had air conditioning?"

"It does."

"Then why are you wearing a beanie?" (winter hat)

"It's off at the moment."

"Why?"

"...Because I have clothes?"

I mean, it's no "wasting thousands of dollars", but it's rejecting something that I consider not even Mustachian, just sheer common sense. If you're cold, put on warmer clothes. If you're still cold, turn on the heater. That seems about as frugal as tips like "Don't leave your fridge open while you cook something". Why would you do anything else?

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1519 on: June 23, 2016, 07:20:21 AM »
My uncle thinks everything is rigged against him, has filed for bankruptcy twice, drinks like a fish, and smokes like a chimney. He told my mom "Saving for retirement is idiotic at best". He recently got on government disability and now claims he retired early.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #1520 on: June 23, 2016, 07:36:53 AM »

I knew someone who didn't want to invest in taxable accounts because she didn't want to pay more taxes.  By the same logic, she should turn down all pay raises [to avoid paying more taxes]...

I actually know of someone who did this... sort of.  He went to prison for some white collar crime.  When he was released on probation, he was required to pay a percentage of his paychecks above a certain amount back to the prison system (for room and board? I don't know.  It wasn't compensation to victims or anything like that.).  He turned down a good paying job as a construction manager because it wasn't going to be that much more for him and he just wanted to spite the prison.  It didn't even affect his career because as soon as his payback period was over he started his own general contracting business.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1521 on: June 23, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »

I knew someone who didn't want to invest in taxable accounts because she didn't want to pay more taxes.  By the same logic, she should turn down all pay raises [to avoid paying more taxes]...

I actually know of someone who did this... sort of.  He went to prison for some white collar crime.  When he was released on probation, he was required to pay a percentage of his paychecks above a certain amount back to the prison system (for room and board? I don't know.  It wasn't compensation to victims or anything like that.).  He turned down a good paying job as a construction manager because it wasn't going to be that much more for him and he just wanted to spite the prison.  It didn't even affect his career because as soon as his payback period was over he started his own general contracting business.

I've also met people who deliberately keep their incomes low or work under the table to avoid paying child support.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1522 on: June 23, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »

I've also met people who deliberately keep their incomes low or work under the table to avoid paying child support.

Which says a hell of a lot about their character, if they're willing to deliberately lower their income to ensure that their kid gets less.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1523 on: June 23, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »

Which says a hell of a lot about their character, if they're willing to deliberately lower their income to ensure that their kid gets less.

Usually. I did work with a guy that shared with me his finances--between alimony and child support, he was forced to give up cigarettes, retirement contributions, AND take work under the table to afford a 1 bedroom apartment that barely had enough room for his kids to stay in when he had weekend visits :(. The ex got the house, and between alimony and child support over 75% of his income and didn't work.

WGH

• Stubble
« Reply #1524 on: June 24, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »

Usually. I did work with a guy that shared with me his finances--between alimony and child support, he was forced to give up cigarettes, retirement contributions, AND take work under the table to afford a 1 bedroom apartment that barely had enough room for his kids to stay in when he had weekend visits :(. The ex got the house, and between alimony and child support over 75% of his income and didn't work.

Working in payroll I've seen this a few times as well. Checks garnished for 75% or more of the income. Problem when couples split is they now have two rents, utilities, etc. when they were likely living paycheck to paycheck before with one. Fault goes both ways it's just a sucky financial situation when people split up.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #1525 on: June 25, 2016, 03:38:47 AM »

Sage house advice, like 'buy more than you think you can afford.' Thanks mom.

A friend of mine also pulled the 'higher tax returns' card to justify a higher mortgage. But she teaches Economics in high school... Although she did seem to understand my point when I offered a rebuttal.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1526 on: June 26, 2016, 09:34:57 PM »
In a Skype conversation with my father. I live in Australia, so it's currently winter.

"Hey Salivanth, I thought your room had air conditioning?"

"It does."

"Then why are you wearing a beanie?" (winter hat)

"It's off at the moment."

"Why?"

"...Because I have clothes?"

I had a similar conversation with my mum after I made the mistake of mentioning on Facetime that my apartment was cold.

Her: What about your heater?
Me: Eh, I'm seeing how long I can go without it.
Her: *rolls eyes*

(The apartment was cold. I was fine, thanks to thermals, a hoodie, uggies and a throw rug. Fetching, I know, but no-one was around to see it. :) )

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1527 on: June 28, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »

A relative's husband was like this with his first ex wife.

Guess what? Divorce number 2 is under way & he is doing everything possible to not support his second Family.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1528 on: June 28, 2016, 08:41:47 AM »

Guess what? Divorce number 2 is under way & he is doing everything possible to not support his second Family.

How anybody could choose to make a baby with someone who doesn't support his or her existing kids, I can't fathom. Do they not understand that they too will be abandoned (with one or more kids to care for) the second it seems convenient?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1529 on: June 28, 2016, 08:46:57 AM »

How anybody could choose to make a baby with someone who doesn't support his or her existing kids, I can't fathom. Do they not understand that they too will be abandoned (with one or more kids to care for) the second it seems convenient?

I think the same thing about people that cheat on their wife/husband and later marry the person they cheated with.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1530 on: June 28, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »
...all while lecturing the rest of us on religion, politics and morality... ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1531 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
...all while lecturing the rest of us on religion, politics and morality... ;)

I figured that was assumed.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1532 on: June 28, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »
A guy I used to work with claimed he knew someone who upon getting divorced proceeded to sell off all his worldly possessions for next to nothing.  Then he took a job as a chef in a hotel and basically just worked for room and board.  What little he got paid was under the table.  So he was destitute just so that he wouldn't have to pay his ex-wife alimony.
I don't know if that is urban legend or what but talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Maybe not though--I know that if it wasn't for my wife and eventual family, I'd be working a job that would probably only support me.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1533 on: June 28, 2016, 11:34:41 PM »

I think the same thing about people that cheat on their wife/husband and later marry the person they cheated with.

I guess I would assume that cheating on a past partner occurs for reasons that do not exist with the current partner. If a past partner was cheated on because they were abusive or lazy or works nights or something, and the new one is kind and hardworking and around during more traditional hours, there may be less incentive to cheat on them.  Just a thought.  No idea on abandoning kids; probably not much redemption there...

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1534 on: June 29, 2016, 08:25:02 AM »
A guy I used to work with claimed he knew someone who upon getting divorced proceeded to sell off all his worldly possessions for next to nothing.  Then he took a job as a chef in a hotel and basically just worked for room and board.  What little he got paid was under the table.  So he was destitute just so that he wouldn't have to pay his ex-wife alimony.
I don't know if that is urban legend or what but talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm sure this happens sometimes but I've never met anyone with direct knowledge of the event occurring.  The biggest one I am familiar with is the Army soldier (or Navy depending on version) who resigns at 19 years to avoid letting his ex wife get any of his retirement payments for life.

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #1535 on: June 29, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
Chapter 3,239 of my older sister and her "gentleman friend". Rather than save money to do the following:
  • Get their own apartment rather than live with friends
  • Have car insurance
  • Complete the adoption of their daughter (long story)
  • Pay the nine months of back rent owed to our uncle
  • Have an emergency fund

They have opted to plan their eventual wedding. 

This sounds lovely and probably expensive.  However, they do have time to plan.  It turns out the "gentleman friend" is not actually completely divorced yet from the last wife. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:13:26 AM by gillstone »

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1536 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:08 AM »
Chapter 3,239 of my older sister and her "gentleman friend". Rather than save money to do the following:
  • Get their own apartment rather than live with friends
  • Have car insurance
  • Complete the adoption of their daughter (long story)
  • Pay the nine months of back rent owed to our uncle
  • Have an emergency funds

They have opted to plan their eventual wedding. 

This sounds lovely and probably expensive.  However, they do have time to plan.  It turns out the "gentleman friend" is not actually completely divorced yet from the last wife.

Oh, my sister has a gentleman friend like that, too!  and by "not actually completely divorced" I mean "no one has even FILED for divorce".

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #1537 on: June 29, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »

Oh this definitely happens. I've spent a lot of time in divorce court. Multiple cases of men who will immediately quit their jobs when they split from their wives and try to take low-paying jobs so they don't have to pay spousal support. However, in my state, the amount of spousal support you pay can be based on your expected income, meaning that if you had a job making $100,000 for 10 years in a row and when you split up you intentionally take a job paying $50,000, the amount you pay in spousal support will be based on your $100,000 income because it's obvious that you can make that amount of money and are (often) choosing not to. Most people don't realize this and then are left wide-eyed and shitting themselves in court when they get slapped with a huge spousal support bill. Not going to lie, it can be quite humorous in a vindictive way when you know the person took the lower paying job to be a jerk.

Upgrayed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1538 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
On divorce: I dated a girl for a few years that was having a hard time getting her ex to pay child support. He'd stay at a job until the state found him and made an attempt to garnish his wages, then quit. He did that for a while until one day, while working for some sort of delivery service, he wound up at the office of this girl's aunt. The aunt saw him and he recognized her immediately. Her aunt said the look on his face was priceless. It must have been a good enough job because he stayed even after the state started garnishment.

On relatives: I have someone in the family that has turned into a bit of a shit show the last few years. He's a good guy, but can't seem to get things together lately. He lost his job because he was messing around on his phone at a light and slowly rear ended someone while driving a company vehicle. He then did something very similar in his personal car, which was then totaled. He found a new job, a new apartment (borrowing money from other relatives to make the move), and bought a newish car (he made payments on a loan signed for by someone else). He seemed to be doing well for a while until he started showing up late for work. He then lost that job, was evicted, and had the car repossessed. The person that signed for the loan still owes money on it, but he hasn't been making any payments to them. He's back to work now and is living in an apartment with his girlfriend. For a while they were sharing a cell phone paid for by her parents while they paid $150/month for cable. Last I heard, the parents stopped paying for the phone, but I'm guessing the cable package is still around.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #1539 on: June 29, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

I guess I would assume that cheating on a past partner occurs for reasons that do not exist with the current partner. If a past partner was cheated on because they were abusive or lazy or works nights or something, and the new one is kind and hardworking and around during more traditional hours, there may be less incentive to cheat on them.  Just a thought.  No idea on abandoning kids; probably not much redemption there...

Based on human nature, I'm guessing it's a rare thing for someone who married one type of person to turn around and cheat with a completely different type of person. And if the spouse was hiding their true nature prior to marriage, that someone will probably just file for divorce upon learning their spouse's true nature.

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1540 on: June 29, 2016, 07:44:53 PM »
My uncle thinks everything is rigged against him, has filed for bankruptcy twice, drinks like a fish, and smokes like a chimney. He told my mom "Saving for retirement is idiotic at best". He recently got on government disability and now claims he retired early.

I think that makes you my cousin.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1541 on: June 30, 2016, 07:33:27 AM »

Based on human nature, I'm guessing it's a rare thing for someone who married one type of person to turn around and cheat with a completely different type of person. And if the spouse was hiding their true nature prior to marriage, that someone will probably just file for divorce upon learning their spouse's true nature.

Interesting - I would hold the opposite position: someone who cheats does it with someone who fulfills a 'need' that is not being met by their current partner, and is thus significantly different in at least one aspect from the current partner.  Either way.... damn, people are complicated....

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1542 on: June 30, 2016, 10:00:28 PM »

Interesting - I would hold the opposite position: someone who cheats does it with someone who fulfills a 'need' that is not being met by their current partner, and is thus significantly different in at least one aspect from the current partner.  Either way.... damn, people are complicated....
What's preventing them from cheating with a new partner that fulfils a different need that the current one has? I think once someone cheats, they show a behavioural preference that cheating is OK to get a need fulfilled....... unless they find that perfect partner (which we all know doesn't exist)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1543 on: July 01, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »

What's preventing them from cheating with a new partner that fulfils a different need that the current one has? I think once someone cheats, they show a behavioural preference that cheating is OK to get a need fulfilled....... unless they find that perfect partner (which we all know doesn't exist)

Nothing's stopping them from cheating. Same for anyone in any relationship. And certainly it could be a pattern of behavior, but if a person who has never cheated before cheats on their other half one time, and then goes on to marry that other person, I would say that it's only an average probability that they will cheat on this new person.

A good point about perfect partners - probably best to wait to get married until you do find them.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1544 on: July 05, 2016, 05:40:38 AM »
A perpetually-broke, self-destructive family member whose children are being raised by their grandmother just bought her four-year-old son a $160 hat.

She doesn't have savings, health insurance, or a job, and always has her hand out for groceries, petrol money, etc.

It's been over a year since she decided to buy it for him and told him all about it.

He loves it, but he would have been equally happy with a $20 version until his head stopped growing.

Now she is talking about buying one for the almost two-year-old.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #1545 on: July 05, 2016, 07:30:29 PM »
Reserving a spot here for my close relative I'll call Jake.

Jake grew up believing that he was upper class, and his parents' middle-class income was a personal injustice.  He went to a very expensive private college for a useless degree, then was offered a job by a wealthy relative right out of college.

He lived paycheck-to-paycheck with plenty of subsidizing from the wealthy relative, maintaining a massive consumer sucka lifestyle but believing he was finally living the good life he deserved. 

He ended up losing that job due to really bad choices, but won't take any new job that pays less.  He spirals into addiction and almost dies, but never loses his sense of entitlement and injustice.

He is currently on disability and doing some work under the table, while telling everyone he retired early. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #1546 on: July 05, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »
A classic Jakeism:

His mother bought a TV and gave her old one to Jake since it was nicer than his.  One of his many devices didn't work with the tv.  Jake furiously calls his mother, demanding a brand-new state-of-the-art tv since it's his mother's fault he already gave away his old one. According to Jake, he NEEDS to see his shows or he'll spiral and try to kill himself again, and refuses to entertain any of the many workarounds.

He is also tech illiterate yet fond of shiny gadgets, so any gift includes (in his mind) hours of infuriating tech support from the giver.  He gets nothing but gift cards now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #1547 on: July 05, 2016, 08:09:22 PM »
My brother bought one of his kids for Christmas a brand new iPad, and another kid a brand new iPhone.

We know this, because we came and stayed nearby them for Christmas.

The kids spent the whole time visiting us at the place we were staying on their devices, because Wifi had been turned off at THEIR place, because: they hadn't paid the bill.

(I still hold out a desperate hope that 'we didn't pay the bill and the wifi has been turned off' was a cunning ruse to keep the kids off their devices all the time at home. Alas, it is unlikely ...)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1548 on: July 06, 2016, 10:53:42 AM »

Oh this definitely happens. I've spent a lot of time in divorce court. Multiple cases of men who will immediately quit their jobs when they split from their wives and try to take low-paying jobs so they don't have to pay spousal support. However, in my state, the amount of spousal support you pay can be based on your expected income, meaning that if you had a job making $100,000 for 10 years in a row and when you split up you intentionally take a job paying $50,000, the amount you pay in spousal support will be based on your $100,000 income because it's obvious that you can make that amount of money and are (often) choosing not to. Most people don't realize this and then are left wide-eyed and shitting themselves in court when they get slapped with a huge spousal support bill. Not going to lie, it can be quite humorous in a vindictive way when you know the person took the lower paying job to be a jerk.

It kind of backfires for MMM's, you know?

Let's imagine that you and your spouse are not together on the whole "FIRE" idea.  After several years of saving money, you have had it with the work grind, and move to FIRE.  She / he divorces you over your laziness (and communication styles, obviously).   You fully expected to split the retirement funds savings 50 / 50 in the divorce... but then are also on the hook for alimony because you have the ability to work $100k/yr but just choose not to....   

I am certain some judges will look at total income, and not the fact that you had a savings rate of 50% when calculating that spousal support, too. 

Waylander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1549 on: July 07, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »
Wasn't sure where to park this rant but I didn't think it warranted a new thread so:

Uncle and wife divorced when kids were ~8, 10. Uncle and ex-wife were extremely spendy and lost their house prior to the divorce moved in with my grandpa and grandma. Post-divorce, ex-wife did not want to take the children, so they stayed with my uncle in my grandpa's and grandma's (small) house.

Ex-wife and uncle then both neglect all parental duties for many, many years. They didn't bother with basics of imparting values or matters and didn't bother making sure kids did their homework or go to school. Schools would call my mother who would do her best but would often be met with "you're not my mom, you can't tell me what to do"-type defiance. In lieu of being actual parents, they give a lot of money to their children - these kids have always been getting the biggest and best gadgets and toys without having to work for anything. They also continue with their very spendy lifestyles. Kids grow up having zero concepts of the value of money / how hard you have to work to earn money.

Older kid who is now 18 grew up with a lot of issues and got expelled from several schools for lack of attendance. He now only holds a minimum primary-school qualification (the one you get when you're 12). Ex-wife gives him money to do ridiculous things like visit his overseas girlfriend and buy the girlfriend gifts. As far as I know, older kid has never worked a day in his life and often just plays computer games in his room and only emerges to eat, shower, and be a dick to my grandma. (Grandpa has passed away; uncle is almost never home and has taken the whole "it's their life; their problem if they mess up" attitude towards raising his children. Absolutely infuriating.) Older kid is now trying to defer his 2 year mandatory army stint - and has no plans whatsoever for the future. As usual, uncle is doing nothing. Ex-wife still constantly providing financial assistance.

Thankfully, younger kid who is now 16 is determined not to grow up like his brother and is actually making an effort both in school and also has a part-time job to get experience with computers and to have spending money. We're pretty proud of younger kid for having a brain to think for himself.

I have spoken to both my parents and have made it absolutely clear that I will in no circumstances be giving or "lending" any money to the older kid when his parents pass on and he has no life skills to survive on his own. My parents thankfully agree.