Author Topic: Make your own tiny soda for $1.29  (Read 6146 times)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Make your own tiny soda for $1.29
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:59:22 PM »
Keurig Kold - $300 for the machine and .99-1.29 per pod to make 8 oz of soda. 

http://qz.com/406139/everything-is-going-wrong-for-keurig-all-at-once/

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Make your own tiny soda for $1.29
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »
I am mystified by the people that use their coffee machines (which is basically everyone I work with) because of 1) the cost and 2) the plastic waste that is just offensive. People *love* the machine. So, I guess there will be some market for the soda machine .... maybe??? I mean, the coffee pods cost about as much as going down to the coffee shop in my office building and getting actual brewed coffee (and they even have real cream to put in it).

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:03:08 PM »
I am mystified by the people that use their coffee machines (which is basically everyone I work with) because of 1) the cost and 2) the plastic waste that is just offensive. People *love* the machine. So, I guess there will be some market for the soda machine .... maybe??? I mean, the coffee pods cost about as much as going down to the coffee shop in my office building and getting actual brewed coffee (and they even have real cream to put in it).

I love the Keurig. We however fill a reusable cup with our own grounds. It's perfect for us as we never waste coffee anymore.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »

My roommate has an adorable single-serving sized french press. It costs 1/10th the price of a fancy machine, makes exactly one cup of coffee, brews a better quality cup (for folks who care about that), generates no waste, and can be stored in the cupboard when not in use. I too am completely baffled by the appeal of these machines.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
Soda? What is soda?

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »
You can get a 2-liter from Walmart for 68 cents. Just sayin'

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:24 AM »
We've had a Sodastream for over 10 years, but this seems to be much more expensive than that. One of the reasons we bought Sodastream was for environmental reasons. Of course drinking tap water is the most green thing one can do, but my husband likes diet soda, and this way, we used reusable bottles and fossil fuels weren't used to haul the actual soda around - just the bottles of syrup. It ended up being cheaper than Diet Coke or Pepsi, although I swear my husband drank more this way, since it came in 1 liters instead of individual cans.

And the price can't be beat for seltzer with the Sodastream.

When I first read this, I was grossed out, because I thought it was the same machine as the coffee pod thingie. That would be disgusting, since all your soda would taste like coffee. The few times I've been a someone's house with one of this dumb contraptions, I've found you can't brew anything in a Keurig except coffee. Tea always ends up tasting like coffee, as does hot chocolate.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »

My roommate has an adorable single-serving sized french press. It costs 1/10th the price of a fancy machine, makes exactly one cup of coffee, brews a better quality cup (for folks who care about that), generates no waste, and can be stored in the cupboard when not in use. I too am completely baffled by the appeal of these machines.

We have a Keurig in the break room. I've never used it.

I'm currently sipping a cuppa made with some inexpensive fresh-roasted beans and an Aeropress.

I work literally 75 steps from a Tim Horton's (I've counted the steps from my desk to front of the line), and I can't believe what I used to spend on coffee. Fortunately, becoming accustomed to the Aeropress + quality beans means I no longer want to drink the Tim's anymore anyway.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »

I don't drink much soda, but I have been trying to sell those that do on 2 liters for 15+ years.  They always come back with, "It goes flat before you finish it".  I return by pointing out the fact that you can drink half of it, throw the other half out, and still come out better than buying single servings! 

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »

+1
Love the French Press. 
Creeped out by the heating of drinking water in a plastic appliance, frankly.  I expect scientists to find some (probably inert) chemical from inside those machines and pods has made it's way inside the bloodstream of the masses in the not too distant future.  Like they did with nonstick coatings and water bottles. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:00:24 AM by kite »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »
Fortunately, becoming accustomed to the Aeropress + quality beans means I no longer want to drink the Tim's anymore anyway.

I hardly ever drink coffee anymore, only really at work, but back when I used to drink coffee an Aeropress was my go-to toy. So easy and delicious.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »
I got an earlier version of this for $99: http://www.rokkitchentools.com/
Not the cheapest deal up front but it looks and works like new four years later. 100% stainless steel body, no plastic or rubber except for the gaskets and valves. I fully expect a decade or more from it.

I was disappointed when they replaced our Bunn coffee machines at work with a Keurig, but I keep a reusable filter for those days when I need a top-up. My $3 can of coffee has lasted forever.

As for this soda thing... I am now dumber for having seen it.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »
When I first read this, I was grossed out, because I thought it was the same machine as the coffee pod thingie. That would be disgusting, since all your soda would taste like coffee. The few times I've been a someone's house with one of this dumb contraptions, I've found you can't brew anything in a Keurig except coffee. Tea always ends up tasting like coffee, as does hot chocolate.
Yeah, the only way to get remotely decent tasting tea out of a Keurig is to run it at least once without a cartridge in it and just hot water to flush it and somewhat wash the whole thing out. Someone brought one in when I was occasionally working at a remote site a few years back and I tried using it but quickly decided it was better to just bring my electric kettle from home the next time I had to go out and use it to make tea like I did at the office here. Made much better tea that way and was of course way more cost effective.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 12:28:24 PM »

I don't drink much soda, but I have been trying to sell those that do on 2 liters for 15+ years.  They always come back with, "It goes flat before you finish it".  I return by pointing out the fact that you can drink half of it, throw the other half out, and still come out better than buying single servings!

This cracks me up too.  At the local super market, a 20 oz costs 1.79.  A 2 liter, more than 3x this amount, is 1.67.  But often the 2 liter is on sale for 1.00 or 1.25.  I guess you're paying for the fact that the 20oz is chilled in most cases.

As for the Kuerig Kold, I can kind of see the coffee one - starbucks is $3+ and kuerig is say 75 cents a pod.  But this soda makes no sense when you can buy a 12 pack (18 servings of KK) for much less.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
We've had a Sodastream for over 10 years, but this seems to be much more expensive than that. One of the reasons we bought Sodastream was for environmental reasons. Of course drinking tap water is the most green thing one can do, but my husband likes diet soda, and this way, we used reusable bottles and fossil fuels weren't used to haul the actual soda around - just the bottles of syrup. It ended up being cheaper than Diet Coke or Pepsi, although I swear my husband drank more this way, since it came in 1 liters instead of individual cans.

And the price can't be beat for seltzer with the Sodastream.

We love our Sodastream.  I never would have purchased one myself, but got it as a gift. I mostly use it just to have fizzy water to drink, while DW makes the occasional soda for herself using soda syrup that she received as a gift.With a special adapter I found on ebay, I was able to replace the overpriced proprietary CO2 bottles (that cost around $15 to exchange for a full bottle) with a pair of standard paintball C02 bottles that cost around $4 to refill (about every 6-8 weeks).

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »
Fortunately, becoming accustomed to the Aeropress + quality beans means I no longer want to drink the Tim's anymore anyway.

I hardly ever drink coffee anymore, only really at work, but back when I used to drink coffee an Aeropress was my go-to toy. So easy and delicious.

I've been working on cutting down, but I can't see myself giving it up entirely. 

Soda, on the other hand (or pop as we call it up here), I have largely excised from my life. Only exceptions are when I'm out at a restaurant and I have one. It's mostly out of habit, but it also keeps me from wanting it other times.  This was also one of my big financial epiphanies, as I had started using YNAB and tracking my expenses. I finally saw what it was costing me. I was spending $250 a month on pop!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »

I've been working on cutting down, but I can't see myself giving it up entirely. 

Soda, on the other hand (or pop as we call it up here), I have largely excised from my life. Only exceptions are when I'm out at a restaurant and I have one. It's mostly out of habit, but it also keeps me from wanting it other times.  This was also one of my big financial epiphanies, as I had started using YNAB and tracking my expenses. I finally saw what it was costing me. I was spending $250 a month on pop!

Yeah, I don't ever buy it for home use or when at restaurants but I'll occasionally be at a place that will serve it for free or my roommates will offer it. I'll drink it then and thankfully after a can I don't want any more.