Author Topic: Raw Water craze  (Read 9507 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Raw Water craze
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:47:00 AM »
Here's the perfect complement to the glass jars full of countryside air, the $200 thermos, and all kinds of crazy.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/1/16839092/raw-water-unfiltered-untreated-disease-toxins-microbes-minerals-cholera-new-york-times

Pioneerw2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Raw Water craze
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:22:26 AM »
Well that is pretty gross... I have well water and there is no way I would drink it without it being filtered to the nth degree.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:40:57 AM »
I had a thought. Package a gift box with the following:
-Raw Water
-Air from under a large evergreen tree
-A bespoke (custom) combination of soil blends
-A mini fire pit.

Call it "The Elements" and sell a limited edition, quantity 99, for $249 + free shipping.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:58:24 AM »
I love how they can re brand something, mark up the price, and create a demand.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
I laughed hard at "Drinking 'raw water' could cause raw diarrhea"

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »
Isn't this how you get Beaver Fever?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »

It can be, depending on the source.

But there are also fresh water springs that supply clean and drinkable water naturally.  It's called spring water.  It seems like they are now just calling it raw water.

Near me in Minneapolis there are two locations I know of where I could fill my own containers from a spring water source.  They are tested regularly to monitor contaminants and one of them is free.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »
These idiots probably haven't had their vaccines either, which means it's a matter of time before polio comes back. BTW I live in the country and love my well water, but had to get an RO to filter out the nitrates.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
Yeah, considering that most surface waters on Earth are contaminated with giardia, definitely a recipe for Beaver Fever.

Near me in Minneapolis there are two locations I know of where I could fill my own containers from a spring water source.  They are tested regularly to monitor contaminants and one of them is free.

I did not know this. I shall have to go look for these!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
Yeah, considering that most surface waters on Earth are contaminated with giardia, definitely a recipe for Beaver Fever.

lookup Frederick Miller Spring (free one) and Schmidt Brewery Well (.25 or .5 per gallon)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »
How about this. If you want to drink "raw water", fine. But you can't use medical personnel, facilities, or treatments that are publicly funded, even in part (to  include Medicaid/Medicare payments and public funding in research) to treat any illnesses you develop as a result.

End result: they'll be dead, or much smarter.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »

lookup Frederick Miller Spring (free one) and Schmidt Brewery Well (.25 or .5 per gallon)

I'll give you a $1 per gallon shipped to Ohio.
Then I can flipped it for $2.50 ;)

Hah you must be crazy!  Shipping costs would ruin this business venture.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »

I'll give you a $1 per gallon shipped to Ohio.
Then I can flipped it for $2.50 ;)

Hah you must be crazy!  Shipping costs would ruin this business venture.

Thank you! I will look these places up.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
Well that is pretty gross... I have well water and there is no way I would drink it without it being filtered to the nth degree.
I think the whole scam only works on city folk.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 02:31:27 PM »
We have some phenomenal springs in Colorado along the Front Range (meaning along the Denver Corridor) that provide very pure and very safe water.  Near Boulder you can get some of the purest water on earth from Eldorado Springs.  My well water is amazing and I haul it to work to drink because I don't want to spend good money on probiotics only to kill them with chlorine!  I didn't realize that I was being trendy.  My well water is so tasty and has nothing bad in it (we tested it).  We probably should sell it. 

Pioneerw2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 12:06:29 PM »
My aunt and uncle live in an area where there is a fresh spring. Their water is fantastic.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
Unless you're absolutely sure that the water you're drawing from doesn't contain disease, isn't downstream from a polluting factory or something, and is otherwise free of every contaminant, this sounds like a great way to get cholera and a whole range of health issues.

If I ever had to drink unprocessed water for some reason, you bet your ass I'd be at least boiling it, maybe even distilling it.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 12:14:38 PM »
Sometimes, all you can do is let natural selection take its course.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
In before the John Snow jokes.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 04:29:28 AM »
Nothing like rediscovering the wonders of diarrhea. We live amongst some of the most privileged people in the world (Santa Monica) and my wife has seen a surprising number of water-borne diarrhea cases in clinic. Now we know why! Is this like the “raw milk” craze where everyone eventually gets sick and they stop with the nonsense?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 06:24:26 AM »
Was on the news yesterday about not drinking it because it can be so bad for you. Dont think it will be a fad for long

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
How much do water purification pills cost?

We now live in a society where all your information (from radio, TV, internet, or even newspapers) can be echo chambers. I don't think the fad will entirely disappear. There's going to be a few people who will insist on drinking untreated water, while living in a place with no wells.

Will the government legislate against this, just like how raw milk is generally illegal (even if still available)?

This $64 Viral 'Raw Water' Is Allegedly Just Tap Water from Oregon

Link: http://people.com/food/this-viral-raw-water-is-just-tap-water-from-oregon/

Another article alleged that water is being stolen from springs on private land, and pointed out some common-sense as well..

Silicon Valley entrepreneurs have found a way to market drinking water up to $36.99 for a 2˝-gallon bottle and refills for $14.99—that’s about 30 times the cost of regular bottled water, which itself costs between 300 and 2,000 times the cost of municipal drinking water.

Link: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2018/01/why_the_raw_water_movement_is_so_obnoxious.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:56:13 AM by Kimera757 »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »
How much do water purification pills cost?

Even up in the rockies backcountry (eg close to the headwaters where there is no industry and nobody lives) we would filter water before drinking.   I can't imagine drinking untreated water from a populated area if I didn't absolutely have to.

Water purification chemicals aren't expensive, but they aren't enough.   Giarda cysts for example are pretty resistant to water treatment and should be filtered out.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 07:19:24 PM »
mmmm...giardia cysts...

I have used LifeWater filters, they're pretty good for backpacking. They are $20 each, and can filter 1000 liters.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »
I need to let my friends and family back on Hillbilly Mountain know about this raw water craze, because this is like a license to print money. The rain barrel that catches the runoff from the roof on Uncle Elmer's trailer has got to be worth at least a couple grand.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
I need to let my friends and family back on Hillbilly Mountain know about this raw water craze, because this is like a license to print money. The rain barrel that catches the runoff from the roof on Uncle Elmer's trailer has got to be worth at least a couple grand.

That could be a sweet marketing campaign: "thunder water" collected directly from the heavens. Or if that name is already taken they could call it "angel pee".

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 10:31:21 PM »
"The real Mountain Dew"

nancyjnelson

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
While I think the "raw water" craze is idiotic, we shouldn't demonize everyone who decides to makes different choices.  Municipal water, while a great benefit for modern civilization, is not for everyone.  I have thyroid issues and members on both sides of my family have had thyroid cancer, so you better believe I have an extremely expensive under-sink filter that takes out the fluoride (known to negatively impact thyroid function), as well as other chemicals (but knowing my town's water source, I understand why those chemicals are necessary and am glad they are put in).

So I prefer untreated water ...with a few caveats.  Number one is that the source be a deep spring rather than an aquifer, more and more of which are becoming permanently polluted from chemical agricultural run-off.  Number two is that the spring water is regularly tested for bacterial and chemical contamination.  I don't have any water local water sources that meet those criteria so I have the under-sink filter.

Is this like the “raw milk” craze where everyone eventually gets sick and they stop with the nonsense?

I'm also lucky enough to have a legal source of raw milk nearby, and have been able to buy legal raw milk in three different states in which I've lived.  I've never gotten sick.  My first requirement for the purchase of raw milk is that the farm owners periodically have the milk tested and allow customers to see the results.  The second requirement is that the cows are on pasture only, except for some additional grain during the winter and while calving. I also wouldn't buy raw milk from a place where they wouldn't allow me to see the milking shed or where I couldn't see the the pastures in which the cows live and feed.

I understand this is very labor intensive, as is verifying the source and quality of your own food supply, and most people won't bother.  For these people, going to a supermarket and trusting the government is probably their best choice.  I'm not going to disparage anyone who does that.

Again, I think the "raw water" craze is idiotic.  But I think it's a careless practice use a specific item as an opportunity to make broad brush condemnations of other things that might be tangentially related.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:50:27 AM by nancyjnelson »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 12:35:11 PM »

It can be, depending on the source.

But there are also fresh water springs that supply clean and drinkable water naturally.  It's called spring water.  It seems like they are now just calling it raw water.

My stepfather has a spring on his land and that's all he drinks, water from the spring.

It's been this way since the 1980s, at least.  Fills his water bottles there weekly, that's all anyone drinks (us included) when they are there.  The tap water is kinda gross.

He married my mom in 1990.  So I've got 27+ years of drinking the stuff whenever I visit.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:37:12 PM by mm1970 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 11:21:41 AM »
"The real Mountain Dew"

If mountain dew doesn't glow like an irradiated mutant, I for one want nothing to do with it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »
"The real Mountain Dew"

If mountain dew doesn't glow like an irradiated mutant, I for one want nothing to do with it.

With all the gunk in the atmosphere these days due to pollution, rainwater might well do just that pretty soon.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
From all the research I've done, that will mean that I get kick-ass new mutant powers and a predilection for form fitting spandex soon.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »
From all the research I've done, that will mean that I get kick-ass new mutant powers and a predilection for form fitting spandex soon.
And you will mutate from a mammal to a MAMIL (Middle Aged Man In Lycra).