Author Topic: Radio ad:New Years Resolution = 'Get out of debt' + 'Expensive Cosmetic Surgery'  (Read 5284 times)

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
Hey all,

So I heard on the radio just now an interesting advertisement.

This station has been pushing a gigantic ad campaign for 'Ideal Image Laser Hair Removal' for what seems like quite a while now. Occasionally they update it based on the time of year. Like in October it might be 'Don't wear a mask, remove your unwanted hair with-' or whatnot.

So this time it's around the New Year, and the radio host was saying she had two goals this year, one to get out of debt, and one to 'get healthy'.

Seems like a sensible set of goals provided they are unlike the majority of New Years Resolutions and are completed. As I keep listening I notice within the next sentence I realize 'get healthy' means get laser hair removal to 'look and feel better'.

So I research this company a bit and find out that in addition to large numbers of dissatisfied customers, some of the 'packages' can range up to and possibly over EIGHT THOUSAND dollars.

I realize this was obviously a paid for plug. But the juxtaposition of 'get out of debt' aimed to resonate with probably the vast majority of their audience and 'get extremely expensive and unnecessary* procedure' made me laugh.

*No offense intended to those who've had this, Mustachianism is ultimately about freedom so if you had/want this done that's fine, but probably not the best idea if your other major goal is to 'get out of debt'

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
Don't know if this is a great business opportunity, or just an example of the general unfairness of life, but do you suppose it would be possible to match people wanting hair removal with those wanting hair implants?

venkol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Don't know if this is a great business opportunity, or just an example of the general unfairness of life, but do you suppose it would be possible to match people wanting hair removal with those wanting hair implants?

Real human hair wigs for bald men are usually made from hair sold by men in India.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
No, not wigs.  Implants, or I guess you would call them transplants.  Of course you'd have to match donor & recipient for tissue compatibility, but that isn't a major problem these days.  And so much easier than organ transplants, where the donor is usually a corpse...

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Holy crap, $8000??? I had some laser hair removal done on my legs and underarms a couple of years ago, I believe 4 or 5 treatments on each, and it cost $1200 after tax. I think it was worth $1200 due to basically never having to shave again for life, but I sure as hell wouldn't have paid eight grand.

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
There's been a similar add on the radio here: "This year I'm going to loose weight: right after this big mac.  This year I'm going to pay off my debt: right after I buy this new pair of shoes." Then the add goes on to say " Why not make a resolution you can keep, like getting the best deal of the year on a brand new Kia!!!"

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My mom spent $10 000 CAD ($10 133.80 USD) on a boob job, only to miss a mortgage payment 2 months later. It's so sad how people can be shallow/insecure enough to put their future in jeopardy. Imagine what $10 000 dollars could do for your investment portfolio, or even better, for a charitable organization. Such a shame. 

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
No, not wigs.  Implants, or I guess you would call them transplants.  Of course you'd have to match donor & recipient for tissue compatibility, but that isn't a major problem these days.  And so much easier than organ transplants, where the donor is usually a corpse...

Doesn't the hair they use for implants come from taking a chunk out of the dude's back or something and leave scar tissue?  Hair removal I think has to do with damaging the hair follicles enough that they can't produce hair, much easier than actually removing them.

cbr shadow

• Bristles

Considering most hair removal is on the body, not the head, I doubt people would be happy about getting other people's pubes permanently implanted on their head haha.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what I'm saying though.