Author Topic: Antimustachian City Award: Baton Rouge  (Read 6047 times)

TwoWheels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Antimustachian City Award: Baton Rouge
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
This week my job took me to Baton Rouge, LA. I had never been to this city before. A few observations:

This city is not made for walking. In many places there are no sidewalks, no crosswalks, and narrow streets. The first night I was there, I made the mistake of trying to walk from my hotel to a restaurant down the street. I've never had such a hard time getting somewhere on foot!

There is nowhere to rent a bicycle (I confirmed this with the hotel concierge). And from what I can tell, not many places where you could actually ride one anyway.

The buses have crappy hours and the schedules are indecipherable. Google Maps has no data on public transit in this city, and the city transit website has no route planning tool. All you get are PDF maps of the bus routes that don't show where the stops are. And the stops listed are not named after landmarks or streets that can be easily looked up. You couldn't design something more unusable!

So if you want to get around, what are you left with? Driving. And my god do people drive here. From dawn till dusk, every major street is lined with bumper-to-bumper traffic. It's a total clusterfuck. Trucks, cars, and SUVs as far as the eye can see, slowed down by the inevitable construction and frequent accidents.

I have seen one bicyclist here, and this smart fellow was pedaling comfortably past me as I crawled along in a miles-long line of idling metal boxes. And so, ladies and gentlemen, I hereby nominate Baton Rouge for the coveted and prestigious Most Antimustachian City Award:

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
Re: Antimustachian City Award: Baton Rouge
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »
Nice graphic. :)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:44:58 AM »
How the fuck can there be no sidewalks? I need pictures as my mind simply can't comprehend.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 04:42:38 AM »
How the fuck can there be no sidewalks? I need pictures as my mind simply can't comprehend.

Here is the unimaginable:

AmbystomaOpacum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:38:33 AM »

This is relatively common in the U.S. At least in the southeast.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »
Only reason the first layer of suburbs in our town has sidewalks at all is because of a Women's Club working with the city on making it more friendly to *exercisers*. I don't begrudge that, and I'm glad they did it, but transportation had nothing to do with the sidewalks being built.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »
Here is the unimaginable:

That actually looks more pedestrian-friendly (or runner-friendly, anyway) to me than pavement.  One reason I quit running is that (in the bad old days when I lived in cities) trying to run on concrete would give me horrible shin splints.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
It would be okay if the side of the road was flat, but walking and running on those sloping embankments absolutely kills my ankles.

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
Not to mention trying to push a stroller.

flyfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »
The ever so slight yet still existent slope would make it pretty rough to walk.
Stroller pushing, yep, that also..

Osprey

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
Well that sidewalk-less pic looks like most roads in my town, except instead of nice flat grass there are ditches, stones and bushes. And lots of steep hills with barely enough room for two cars to drive past each other. I'm being a complaintypants now but sometimes there are legitimate reasons why people in "unmustachian" cities don't cycle everywhere... Would the solution be to Get Rich With Moving To A Better Place?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 07:30:40 AM »
Only reason the first layer of suburbs in our town has sidewalks at all is because of a Women's Club working with the city on making it more friendly to *exercisers*. I don't begrudge that, and I'm glad they did it, but transportation had nothing to do with the sidewalks being built.

That's what the bicycle paths are here and it pisses me off. I live 4 miles from work, and there was a promised bicycle path on the new toll road - but it never CONNECTED to anything. It dead-ends at a creek. And has stupid extra wobbly "scenic" wandering back-and-forth. The same creek I can't safely cross on surface streets because of the dangerous no-shoulders-just-a-guardrail-against-the lane road between my house and work. Gah. It's over a mile of no shoulder (just a steep ditch behind guardrail) which also includes the steepest hill along the way.

All the bicycle paths here are built for recreation, not transportation.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!