Author Topic: Quinzeanera... Your family spent HOW MUCH???  (Read 3475 times)

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
Quinzeanera... Your family spent HOW MUCH???
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »
I was talking to a co-worker yesterday, and asked him how his summer went. He told me all about his half-sister's quinzeanera. It took 2 years to plan, and cost more than $10,000!!!! Her dress alone was $1200!!! I had to pick up my jaw from the floor, as I wouldn't (and WON'T) even spend that much on my wedding (ceremony in the fall, a party in the spring). And this is NOT a family rolling in dough, mind you.

I asked him if at least she enjoyed herself. He said yes, and he was really glad she did because for a while she was "acting like a brat about it." *sigh*

BZB

• Bristles
Re: Quinzeanera... Your family spent HOW MUCH???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:40:50 AM »
Yeah - quinceaneras are big business here in Houston. Even the girl living in the house next door to me when I was a teenager had one while she was 8 months pregnant. It is common to see the quince girl and her entourage, plus stretch limo or stretch SUV, having their photos taken at the local parks. All the party supply stores and craft stores have a quince section. I know the cost is supposed to be shared by the extended family, but I can only imagine the expense! My college roommate's family was originally from Mexico, and she convinced her family to buy her a new truck instead of having a quince. It was cheaper.

LB4eva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »
  Yes they are ridiculous. I'm Mexican-American but never had one. My family didn't have the money plus I was a shy, introverted girl so I wouldn't have liked the attention anyway. My parents gave me some cash instead. ($300) I spent some of it on a electronic dictionary ($100) and saved the rest. You can tell how cool I was in High School.
   I have a younger sis who is half my age and she is a different story. She won't stop bugging my mom about her quince. My mom is unemployed on food stamps right now and has told her she just does not have the money. My sis just won't get it through her head how expensive it is. Her birthday is in a year and my sister-in-law has offered up her yard for the quince. Her house is a huge 1 mil dollar home with a big back yard + pool. We might have it if some family members are willing to chip in but my goal would be to keep it under $1,500. We'll see what happens.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
They are big business here in So Cal too.  Saw some pics being taken in a nearby park a few weeks ago.  Her dress was more expensive than my wedding gown, huge entourage.

Very pretty though.  I did admire the dresses.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!