Author Topic: Queenslanders up in arms after being asked to set air con at 26C (79f)  (Read 4316 times)

JLR

• Pencil Stache
I wish I could link to the facebook comments filled with outraged people as they are the real "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" story here. 26C sounds quite normal to a Mustachian:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/37407194/queenslanders-asked-to-keep-aircon-at-26c/

"Under the plan, residents and businesses could be asked to set their air conditioners at 26C on the hottest days, only cool occupied rooms and turn off non-essential lights and pool pumps."

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Queenslanders up in arms after being asked to set air con at 26C (79f)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:11:46 AM »
Must admit though that I find it annoying when politicians attempt to cover their incompetence in providing necessary services like electricity with all this talk of electricity rationing. If they actually bothered to ensure that Queensland had enough spare capacity no-one would be having this conversation.

That's not to say that I'm against conservation, electricity is expensive in Australia and so keep your air conditioners at a higher temperature is a good way to save money.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:35:21 AM »
Florida man here. House goes to 79F (28C) at bedtime. Otherwise set to 80F.
So yeah, it's my normal.
In other news, sunny today with blue skies, humid, chance of rain.

Million2000

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
I wish I could link to the facebook comments filled with outraged people as they are the real "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" story here. 26C sounds quite normal to a Mustachian:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/37407194/queenslanders-asked-to-keep-aircon-at-26c/

"Under the plan, residents and businesses could be asked to set their air conditioners at 26C on the hottest days, only cool occupied rooms and turn off non-essential lights and pool pumps."

Friend of mine in Australia has been telling me about the country's power woes. Apparently at least in Victoria they've shut coal power plants down without a proper replacement in place leading to higher energy prices. I doubt having everyone set a temperature a certain degree is going to fix the real issue there. If my government or power company told me to do that I'd be pretty pissed.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
You'd think high electricity prices would make people want to conserve more on their own anyway.  I know of someone in QLD who literally paid 900 dollarydoos for his last (quarterly) electric bill.  That's just nuts.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
79 is indeed my normal, by choice, not mandate.

I do cheat and drop it to 77 at bedtime.  Yeah, I'm weak.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
76 F is as high as I can get the wife to go on temperature.  Personally I can make it to 78 F, but that's the limit.  At that point I'm pouring sweat just sitting still.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
I remember being in NYC prior to 2008 where the Mayor asked on really hot days that people set their thermostats to 78*.  Which is kind of where I got my touch point for where I keep mine.

intellectsucks

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »
That is a little on the high side for my tastes for my house, though I could certainly deal with it.  I would say that it’s probably too high for businesses though.  At my workplace, I’m required to wear a full suit and tie.  When the temperature goes above 75F (or a little lower if the humidity is high) I start to get pretty uncomfortable.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 04:21:23 PM »
Our workplace system is ridiculous.  If you set it for 71 or lower you freeze.  If you set it for 72 or higher you steam in humid stagnant air.  #HorribleHVACSystem

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »
The best temperature for sleep is 16C or approximately 60F I was just reading.

Luckily for me 26 or above are temperatures that only occurs on perhaps a dozen days or so in the dead of the afternoon. To stay below 26 I may never have to turn on the AC except for the top floor. I think I only used it 6-7 days this summer.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »
At home we have to run the system cold enough to get it to actually come on or the humidity inside gets pretty high in the evenings with laundry, cooking and showers. I've long debated getting a dehumidifier to see if running one would be cheaper than running the a/c when the interior temps are fine.

We prefer opening the windows but that's not always possible here. Too hot in the summer.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »
Currently 3 days a week, my wife goes to the office so the thermostat is set to 82F for 8-9 hours until either of us come home and set it to 80.

I may be changing employers in the near future and will be working from home daily thus constant 80F all day and increased energy usage. Nights are getting cooler and days will too and I'll be able to leave windows open 24/7 hopefully. I can't wait.... Tired of the A/C, this summer has been too long and last winter was wet and warm.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
This article suggests there are incentives to turn down aircon to 26 so really it's a no brainer. (QLD is mentioned right at the end).

The article is primarily about such incentives bring trialled in other states. I'm wondering how to get $25/a free movie ticket if I don't ever have my air con below 26 and don't have a pool pump!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-11/power-scheme-offers-rewards-for-switching-off-in-peak-times/9037526?pfmredir=sm

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 12:46:07 AM »
Must admit though that I find it annoying when politicians attempt to cover their incompetence in providing necessary services like electricity with all this talk of electricity rationing. If they actually bothered to ensure that Queensland had enough spare capacity no-one would be having this conversation.

But then people would be raging:
Why is electricity so expensive?!? Why are 50% of our power plants off 3/4 of the year???!!!???

And at that point I have to say that depending on what you do or what body you have, 26 may be a tad too high. But then again, for most work indoors it is ok.