Author Topic: Pumpkin Spice Latte Shortage  (Read 17920 times)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Pumpkin Spice Latte Shortage
« on: October 07, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Pumpkin Spice Latte Shortage
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »
"Cynthia Smalls, a barista at a midtown Manhattan Starbucks, said steamed customers have grown emotional on days her location runs out of pumpkin sauce. "They go crazy. The day we first found out we had a shortage, forget it," she said.

Her own surprised reaction: "You guys do know it's just a drink, right?" she said." 

/\ /\ /\
 I  I  I 

That. 

(On the other hand, I am VERY fond of their pumpkin scones ...)

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:01:46 AM »
I used to love that Pumpkin Spice latte.  I did the whole "paleo" eating thing for awhile, so I weened myself off of sugar and started drinking my coffee black and I can never go back.  Sometimes I'll do a splash of cream, but I can't stand sweet coffee anymore.

Last fall I made a small shaker of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger (pumpkin pie spice) and would sprinkle that into my coffee daily.  Turned out pretty good, and I felt "festive" :)

AmbystomaOpacum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:56:39 AM »
I never understand the "limited time" craze.

Pumpkins are seasonal...

Obviously, sufficiently processed (as they surely are for the Starbucks drink) they could last forever, but pumpkins are in season in Fall. Which aside from meaning that's when they're freshest and most available, it also means we've come to find them Fall-ish. A pumpkin latte in Spring simply doesn't sound as good.

Anyway,  I usually get one or two pumpkin lattes and one or two peppermint lattes each Fall/Winter respectively. It's tasty. It puts me in a seasonal mood. And it's only a few bucks. Obviously, getting one every day would be antimustachian, but the drink itself surely isn't.

SoftwareGoddess

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »

Pumpkins are seasonal...

Obviously, sufficiently processed (as they surely are for the Starbucks drink) they could last forever, but pumpkins are in season in Fall. Which aside from meaning that's when they're freshest and most available, it also means we've come to find them Fall-ish. A pumpkin latte in Spring simply doesn't sound as good.

I agree with your point about seasonal expectations, but the freshness of pumpkins isn't a factor because:

Quote from: WSJ article
Yet for all the ruckus, there isn't any actual pumpkin in the product.

Ingredients for the store-brewed version include a "pumpkin-flavored syrup," and a spokeswoman said it "contains a natural and artificial pumpkin spice flavor."

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »
Pumpkins are seasonal...

I understand the drink flavor and the squash are both seasonal - this was more of a general observation about the consumerist craze that people build up... releasing the latte one city at a time, etc.

McDonald's goes through the same routine every few years with their rib sandwich, Disney does it all the time with their "vault" and their ultra-extra-special-blueray edition of old movies, etc.  I understand why they do it from a marketing perspective, but I can't help but be jaded about the widespread consumerist drone behavior it sparks every time, and how well it works.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:24:32 AM »

I understand why they do it from a marketing perspective, but I can't help but be jaded about the widespread consumerist drone behavior it sparks every time, and how well it works.

I completely agree ... yet every time I read a new post in this thread, my desire for a pumpkin spice latte grows ever so slightly.  Sad, isn't it?  I'm going to have to cut myself off (the thread, that is - I have zero money for spending on pumpkin spice lattes, which is why the growing craving is a problem!)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
Boiling up a pot of pumpkin spiced simple syrup on the stove is easy! I did this a few years ago, and used it to flavor my coffees for a few months (until I got sick of it).

Something like this maybe: http://www.cooklikeachampionblog.com/2010/09/pumpkin-spice-syrup-for-pumpkin-spice.html

Or, if you want to go the lazy way, but still make them relatively cheaply at home, maybe get a bottle of syrup from Torani or one of the other flavoring places?

flyfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »
I also partake in a pumpkin spice or peppermint - twice max - during the respective seasons. And I order kiddie size. The baristas think I'm insane.. what I think is insane is the 2-3 latte mocha habit per day that a few neighbors and friends have. When I have gone (and haven't been yet this Autumn season for a pumpkin spice), it is purely for a less than $2.00 of pocket change meet up with a friend vs. having to go out to a $10-$15 lunch.

The craze, I think, is related to everyone wanting to get into the holiday spirit. Yes, they're tasty but enough to warrant a shortage or for folks who are running in there daily (or more than once a day) - that just boggles my mind. May I also add how ridiculous it sounds for these  Grandemochalattedoublepumphalfdecafaddtwocubesofice customers? At least most of them seem to have their order down pat, when they rattle it off (how often must they go to be able to do that -- or for the barista to recite it the moment they walk up to the counter?)  :)*

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
I must admit. The red holiday cups make me happy. I don't know why.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »
Lifehacker posted an at home DIY version for those of you that want this.

As a Mustachian you wouldn't be doing it to "beat the shortage," but rather because you don't throw money away at coffee places.  Here's a cheaper way to make it yourself at home.

http://lifehacker.com/5951135/beat-the-pumpkin-spice-shortage-and-make-your-own-lattes-at-home
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 06:02:01 AM »
Lifehacker posted an at home DIY version for those of you that want this.

As a Mustachian you wouldn't be doing it to "beat the shortage," but rather because you don't throw money away at coffee places.  Here's a cheaper way to make it yourself at home.

http://lifehacker.com/5951135/beat-the-pumpkin-spice-shortage-and-make-your-own-lattes-at-home

I made a batch of that homemade pumpkin spice syrup the other day, and am currently enjoying it in my office's sludge-like coffee. It's delicious.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 06:39:33 AM »
I'd argue the "supply"/limited time strategy is another reason so many Girl Scout cookies are sold.

My hubby and I were walking and saw a sign at a local convenience store that says "Pumpkin spice now available."  He says, "Does that mean they are selling pumpkin pie spice?"  I had to giggle.  He must be out of the trendy coffee loop.  :)

(Pretty poor sign, though, if people can't even figure out what it means!)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 06:42:12 AM »
I made homemade pumpkin spice creamer earlier in the fall and I was way disappointed. I made it so the pumpkin flavor was overpowering if you just drank or smelled the creamer, but even if you put so much in the coffee that it was tan (ewww), you didn't get any pumpkin flavor from it at all. Maybe I'll try the syrup recipe sometime.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:28 AM »
I made homemade pumpkin spice creamer earlier in the fall and I was way disappointed. I made it so the pumpkin flavor was overpowering if you just drank or smelled the creamer, but even if you put so much in the coffee that it was tan (ewww), you didn't get any pumpkin flavor from it at all. Maybe I'll try the syrup recipe sometime.

I doubled the amount of pumpkin they prescribe, and it turned out pretty well.  It's definitely a "richer" pumpkin taste than the hyper-sweet commercialized version.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:25 AM »
Hahaha Last year this time I worked at a Starbucks.  It was an eye-opening experience on successful marketing and limited time crazy. That said, they are pretty yummy.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
I'd argue the "supply"/limited time strategy is another reason so many Girl Scout cookies are sold.

Plus, Girl Guide (Canadian) cookies are delicious.  And freeze well.  Mmm.  Frozen Girl Guide cookies dipped in coffee.  Heaven!

Hey, wait a second ... didn't I ban myself from this thread because it was making me crave calorie-laden treats?  I gotta get out of here before I cave and buy a box of Girl Guide cookies at the new price of $5 a box - bad for my wallet and my waistline!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »

Plus, Girl Guide (Canadian) cookies are delicious.  And freeze well.  Mmm.  Frozen Girl Guide cookies dipped in coffee.  Heaven!

Hey, wait a second ... didn't I ban myself from this thread because it was making me crave calorie-laden treats?  I gotta get out of here before I cave and buy a box of Girl Guide cookies at the new price of $5 a box - bad for my wallet and my waistline!

Well, I vote to go ahead!  My Canadian Guider friends are posting on FB that they are for sale RIGHT NOW!!  Go!  :)

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »
Simple compromise for equity holders: set a reasonable percentage of SBUX dividends not to reinvest each quarter and enjoy the seasonal drinks with those funds... You could enjoy a drink as part of a biking sojourn to get groceries if you'd like to give yourself a treat + exercise bonus!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 08:17:45 PM »
I've been craving this for like three weeks - maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder? If only pumpkin would drop down to fall prices from the million dollars a can it is the rest of the year.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 07:29:08 AM »

Pumpkins are seasonal...

Anyway,  I usually get one or two pumpkin lattes and one or two peppermint lattes each Fall/Winter respectively. It's tasty. It puts me in a seasonal mood. And it's only a few bucks. Obviously, getting one every day would be antimustachian, but the drink itself surely isn't.

We were getting pumkin (that's how some spell it) beer in our local store in July!  I guess fall has arrived early around here.  Ain't marketing a joy?!  Marketers first try to capitalize on things like seasonal items (or create their own traditions/"seasons"), then extend them to a point where they are common and expected (maybe demanded?) - at one time we used to have a harvest season, but now it is pumkin latte season at Starbucks - that is so out of touch with the natural world.  For example (not a "natural world example I know), I hear Christmas music in various locations (including Starbucks) in early November.  Really makes me shake my head in disgust.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
While I do like both the Pumpkin spice & the peppermint mocha flavors of their respective seasons, I only go in when they do their BOGO weekend deals, which fatwallet.com does an excellent job of letting me know about.

Last week I had two free coupons from Dunkin, so I tried their pumpkin spice.  It was good, but overly sweet.

Trader Joe's is currently selling Pumpkin Spice coffee, so maybe that's a good option to make it at home?  Haven't tried it - yet...

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »

Trader Joe's is currently selling Pumpkin Spice coffee, so maybe that's a good option to make it at home?  Haven't tried it - yet...
[/quote]

The TJ's pumpkin coffee is amazing!  Highly recommend.  Usually sells out fast where I'm at.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »

The TJ's pumpkin coffee is amazing!  Highly recommend.  Usually sells out fast where I'm at.
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation!  My friend bought it last week, TJ's finally opened it's doors here for the first time.  I asked her as well, and she said it was good.  It's on my shopping list this week, maybe I need to call them and ask them to put a can of it on hold...

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
Every time someone bumps an old thread like this, I keep thinking PJ is back and I get all happy for a second before I see the date.  :(

That said, I never was into the pumpkin spice lattes but I did have a five-buck a day Sbux habit when I started posting here.  BEST thing ever to give up.   

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
yes, I do like pumpkin spice lattes. 

I have had two already in September.  I am going to commit to having two in October and two in November.    So I put a stickie on my computer to this effect and if I don't succeed I will post it to this thread.   I don't like the Christmas drinks at all but I too like the red Christmas cups.   (what an addict I am!)

Good going Kulshangirl about giving up the $5.00/day Starbucks habit!!!!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
I just saw a McDonald's ad for pumpkin pie (in mcd apple pie form).  Never seen this before but I'm sure it will be a huge hit.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »
I don't care a hoot about lattes of any variety, but "limited time only" is a gold-mine concept for advertisers. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
I got a coupon for a free SBUX drink so I ordered the most decadent and expensive drink I could find. It was terrible. Too sweet. I threw it away and promised myself I'd never order their sugary drinks again. Ugh.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
Sometimes I wish that I was a coffee drinker, so I could see what all of the fuss is about with the pumpkin spice lattes. People really seem devoted to them.

I can't judge too much. I have a bit of a Starbucks black iced tea (venti, no sweetener) problem. They're $2.66, and I try my very hardest to only do it once a week, or during rough days at work. Sometimes I go months without; this is not one of those times.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
Sometimes I wish that I was a coffee drinker, so I could see what all of the fuss is about with the pumpkin spice lattes. People really seem devoted to them.

Try a pumpkin spice steamer.  It's basically heated milk, with the spice.

I don't drink coffee either, but when someone else is treating at Starbucks for some reason and I need to order something so it's not awkward, I get a cinnamon steamer, or occasionally pumpkin spice if it's in season.  (Probably had Starbucks 3-4 times and gotten one of those every time, IIRC.)

Then you can check out the fuss.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 07:09:23 AM »
As someone who grew up in the self-proclaimed pumpkin capital of the world, you haven't experienced life until you've had a pumpkin donut, cookie, ice cream, and beer all in a row in the month of September.

Don't trust all the municipalities that masquerade as the pumpkin capital.  They're all frauds!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »
This thread is reminding me that I wanted to make up some of the drink mixes on the Hillbilly Housewife site.  I have made them in the past and they are good; it saves me when I'm in a mood for coffeehouse/premade drinks and lately, I am.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/homemadeconveniencefoods.htm

I wonder how to adapt any of these to be pumpkin flavored?  They are dry mixes.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
I just made one batch of that syrup posted above and it was so yummy!  Cheap too since I had all the ingredients in my pantry.  I used the leftover pumpkin to make muffins.  Thanks for sharing.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
I feel this thread needs a clarification. "Pumpkin spice" is different than pumpkin flavor. The spice is the key to the correct flavor. I make Martha Stewart's jumbo pumpkin muffin reicipe regularly, and they call for one can of pumpkin and one tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice. I have substituted ripe banana for the pumpkin on more than one occasion, and I can vouch that it doesn't make much difference to the flavor as long as the pie spice is still there. And you can make your own pie spice - only four ingredients - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-spice-i/

I think there was a poster in this thread that was bothered there is no pumpkin in the lattes--there doesn't need to be, because they aren't pumpkin lattes, they are "pumpkin SPICE lattes" so it is not false advertising.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 06:05:50 PM »
I feel this thread needs a clarification. "Pumpkin spice" is different than pumpkin flavor. The spice is the key to the correct flavor. I make Martha Stewart's jumbo pumpkin muffin reicipe regularly, and they call for one can of pumpkin and one tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice. I have substituted ripe banana for the pumpkin on more than one occasion, and I can vouch that it doesn't make much difference to the flavor as long as the pie spice is still there. And you can make your own pie spice - only four ingredients - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-spice-i/

I think there was a poster in this thread that was bothered there is no pumpkin in the lattes--there doesn't need to be, because they aren't pumpkin lattes, they are "pumpkin SPICE lattes" so it is not false advertising.

Haha I just had to explain this to a friend who ordered a pumpkin drink.  This was called a pumpkin Freddo but it was clearly just pumpkins spice and little if any pumpkin flavor.  Not that you would notice since pumpkin is just a carrier for the sugar and spices afaik.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
Aha!  Of course!  This is the key to my dry mix dilemma, then!  Just make something sweet and creamy and chuck in some pumpkin pie spice.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »
Without pumpkin won't the pumpkin pie spices just make it taste like a holiday latte? Mulled wine/spice cake/what have you? Also, am I really the only one using cloves in pumpkin pie?

(I know I'm not the only one using bourbon and cream cheese in pumpkin pie. Drunkin punkin FTW.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 11:48:37 PM »
Without pumpkin won't the pumpkin pie spices just make it taste like a holiday latte? Mulled wine/spice cake/what have you? Also, am I really the only one using cloves in pumpkin pie?

(I know I'm not the only one using bourbon and cream cheese in pumpkin pie. Drunkin punkin FTW.)

Yes.  That's what many taste like.  After all, any "pumpkin" is just artificial pumpkin flavored syrup, not actual pumpkin.  But I've never tried a "pumpkin spice latte" and a "pumpkin latte" side by side so maybe the pumpkin flavor is discernable and important.  I don't really order these myself, but I'll steal a sip from someone else.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 05:46:41 AM »
There is a very swank coffee shop across the street from work and they have a pumpkin mocha with real pumpkin in it and it IS amazing.

And, tee hee, drunkin punkin . . .

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 07:38:17 AM »

I invite you to make two batches of these muffins, one with pumpkin and one with bananas, a la any banana bread recipe (mash enough bananas to equal nearly 2 cups): http://www.marthastewart.com/355570/pumpkin-muffins The pumpkin flavor is very slight (mostly adds color) but it's the pie spice that you'd miss, IMHO. Also, I use dark brown sugar instead of turbinado.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 08:11:21 AM »

We were getting pumkin (that's how some spell it) beer in our local store in July!  I guess fall has arrived early around here.  Ain't marketing a joy?!  Marketers first try to capitalize on things like seasonal items (or create their own traditions/"seasons"), then extend them to a point where they are common and expected (maybe demanded?) - at one time we used to have a harvest season, but now it is pumkin latte season at Starbucks - that is so out of touch with the natural world.  For example (not a "natural world example I know), I hear Christmas music in various locations (including Starbucks) in early November.  Really makes me shake my head in disgust.

Is that Dogfish Head's Pumkin Spice Beer?  How I'd LOVE to be able to get that in Canada. 

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
Every time someone bumps an old thread like this, I keep thinking PJ is back and I get all happy for a second before I see the date.  :(

Me too!  I also got excited, and didn't see the date.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »
I used my lunch hour to bike to my local coffee roaster (we grind our beans at home) and what was waiting for me there....  Their seasonal Pumpkin Spice.  Ohhhh, it's going to be a good October and November.

I totally get seasonal flavors.  When blackberries ripen in July we have cobblers and I can preserves like mad.  By fall we're craving other things and I have blackberry preserves far less often.

In a few more week grilled cheese and tomato soup are going to be hitting the table regularly.   I also enjoy seasonal craft beer.  In mid-November this new Richmond tradition makes it's holiday appearance - check out the score on it.  100 out of 100.  Carly Simon, sing me some Anticipation....

http://www.hardywood.com/content/hardywood-gingerbread-stout

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!