Author Topic: Property Brothers - 1.2k baby changing table!  (Read 4069 times)

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
Property Brothers - 1.2k baby changing table!
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
I have to hold my hands up and admit I like watching this show, and like the brothers.

I do find it a bit weird that when people have them renovate a property for them, they hand the brothers the budget for all the furnshings etc.

I have noticed that they are quite spendy, a kitchen usually costs 50k.

However,  I caught the end of a show the other day and a woman was crying when she saw her babies new room.  There was a plain white baby changing table, and the price tag was $1.2k!

I honestly couldn't believe that.   We bought our baby changing table for $50, used it for 2.5 years and are now using it again for our second child.  It doesn't look much different to the one on the show. 

You really can spend a lot of money pretty much anything if you want it seems!

thingamabobs

• Stubble
Re: Property Brothers - 1.2k baby changing table!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
Hum, we didn't buy a changing table. Blanket or old t-shirt on the rug and done. No fear of rolling off. I guess I can add 1.2k to amount saved.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »
I occasionally watch them as well.  I also am astonished by the money wasted on furnishings.

This was in 2003 - I had a co-worker who was moving out of state and was finished having children, his youngest was a toddler.  I was pregnant for the first time.  I bought their changing table, crib and mattress for $100 from them and he dropped it off at our house. 

We used it for 2 kids, fast forward to 2007.  I listed it on CL for $125.  The lady shows up and asks if I would take $100.  Yep.  She loaded up in her car.

I got it for free with free delivery and free removal.  I did buy a pad for the table, though. 

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
I believe if you look at the show terms/contract, you'll find that the show requires them to buy new furnishings.  It's not clear to me that other than the "shopping trip" the homeowners have much control over what's bought.  I suspect that the show requires it because a beautifully renovated house won't show as well with random mishmash used furniture people have, as the carefully curated/decorated new furniture does.  This is also why sometimes when the budget is tight Jonathan will "allow" them to keep some old pieces of furniture to make up the discrepancy. 

Our changing table (pad, cover & liner...) was free, courtesy of a coworker who got it used from someone else.  We've been the lucky beneficiary of being the last of our friends to procreate as we basically have offers for tons of used stuff coming out of our ears.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
However,  I caught the end of a show the other day and a woman was crying when she saw her babies new room.  There was a plain white baby changing table, and the price tag was $1.2k!

If I got hornswoggled into paying $1.2k for a baby changing table-- on TV no less-- I'd cry too.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »

If I got hornswoggled into paying $1.2k for a baby changing table-- on TV no less-- I'd cry too.

Lol, just realised I meant to make that joke in my original post and forgot

crispy

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »
My husband's boss was on this show (or one of the brothers' shows) a few year's back.  I need to ask how it worked.  They did say on camera that they were selling their house, but they didn't and never planned to. 

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
Hum, we didn't buy a changing table. Blanket or old t-shirt on the rug and done. No fear of rolling off. I guess I can add 1.2k to amount saved.

We just used a changing foam pad thing on top of a dresser.

We did buy a nice crib though.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »
If an changing table, any changing table at any price down to $0, is so important to have, why are babies so much all alike?

I'd expect to see some kind of, y'know, change, like....     

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 03:51:07 PM »
My husband's boss was on this show (or one of the brothers' shows) a few year's back.  I need to ask how it worked.  They did say on camera that they were selling their house, but they didn't and never planned to.
Please do, and report back!

If an changing table, any changing table at any price down to $0, is so important to have, why are babies so much all alike?

I'd expect to see some kind of, y'know, change, like....     
Booooo!  Go take your bad joke where it belongs! :P

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 03:58:21 PM »

You know, tons of people told me not to bother; but I got a free hand me down changing table and it is the most used baby thing in the house except the glider. When she was a newborn, I'd change her on the floor if I was down there with her; after about 2 months, my back was bothering so much that we use the changing table for every change. I'm so glad to have it.  We planned on pad on dresser, but I don't actually have a dresser for her yet.

On the other hand, the crib is useless. Glad we only spent $100 on that. It's a holding pen while I wash my hands because she sleeps in a pack and play in our room, and will likely stay there for a year, at which point a lot of my friends just do the montessori mattress on the floor approach. 

$1.2k for anything baby related is insane.

Cloaked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:14 PM »
1.2k.... and here I was debating about getting $40 one that my SO wanted to get.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 02:13:02 AM »

You know, tons of people told me not to bother; but I got a free hand me down changing table and it is the most used baby thing in the house except the glider. When she was a newborn, I'd change her on the floor if I was down there with her; after about 2 months, my back was bothering so much that we use the changing table for every change. I'm so glad to have it.  We planned on pad on dresser, but I don't actually have a dresser for her yet.

On the other hand, the crib is useless. Glad we only spent $100 on that. It's a holding pen while I wash my hands because she sleeps in a pack and play in our room, and will likely stay there for a year, at which point a lot of my friends just do the montessori mattress on the floor approach. 

Agreed, baby changer should be called back saver.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 05:56:48 AM »

Agreed, baby changer should be called back saver.

When you are done with the changing table it can be upcycled into a lovely drink cart to help you cope with toddlers and pre-schoolers.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:09:11 AM »
The entire show feels mostly unmustachian to me. Producers emphasize expensive flash pieces and trendy designs. Plus, while rehabbing a property is a good idea and a damn sight less wasteful than simply demolishing something and rebuilding it, I've found a lot of the homeowner complaints fairly minor...and not warranting an expensive remodel.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
Shows like this are playing constantly on the TV at the allergy clinic, and I've finally been able to put my finger on what bugs me about them. They normalize excessive consumption. There's an effective frequency, a number of repetitions at which something like granite countertops start to seem normal instead of like a luxury item. After hearing the drumbeat of Buy-buy-buy-buy for long enough, I bet it influences people to spend money on those items, and I'd also bet that manufacturers pay good money for product placement in those houses.

I snipped this quotation from Wikipedia's article on effective frequency:

Thomas Smith wrote a guide called Successful Advertising in 1885.[6] The saying he used is still being used today.

The first time people look at any given ad, they don't even see it.
 The second time, they don't notice it.
 The third time, they are aware that it is there.
 The fourth time, they have a fleeting sense that they've seen it somewhere before.
 The fifth time, they actually read the ad.
 The sixth time they thumb their nose at it.
 The seventh time, they start to get a little irritated with it.
 The eighth time, they start to think, "Here's that confounded ad again."
 The ninth time, they start to wonder if they're missing out on something.
 The tenth time, they ask their friends and neighbors if they've tried it.
 The eleventh time, they wonder how the company is paying for all these ads.
 The twelfth time, they start to think that it must be a good product.
 The thirteenth time, they start to feel the product has value.
 The fourteenth time, they start to remember wanting a product exactly like this for a long time.
 The fifteenth time, they start to yearn for it because they can't afford to buy it.
 The sixteenth time, they accept the fact that they will buy it sometime in the future.
 The seventeenth time, they make a note to buy the product.
 The eighteenth time, they curse their poverty for not allowing them to buy this terrific product.
 The nineteenth time, they count their money very carefully.
 The twentieth time prospects see the ad, they buy what is offering.

Of course that was written back in the 1800s before credit cards were invented and before it became possible to leverage oneself to the gonads by buying on credit. Zero-down, same-as-cash deals are common throughout the home renovation and home improvement industry, and when those aren't available, there's always the in-store credit card. So in this day and age, having been conditioned to buy with credit as soon as they want something, people will whip out the plastic on repetition #15 of the above model.