Author Topic: Williams-Sonoma 'Agrarian' line  (Read 5638 times)

atelierk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Williams-Sonoma 'Agrarian' line
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
The urban homesteading blogs have been abuzz of late with news of Williams-Sonoma's new Agrarian line of homesteading supplies. Most urban homesteaders are pretty frugal so all this has a lot of them scratching their heads in amazement. Who in their right mind would buy this stuff?

Just a selection:
Garden tools made of copper (!). Hand trowel, $58.95. Long handled spade, $199.95. Long-handled fork, $299.95

A stainless steel potting scoop for putting potting soil into pots, $27.95 (Hmmm. I use a plastic yogurt container.)

A 4' x 4' x 10" deep cedar raised bed kit, $179.95.

And my personal favorites, individual potted vegetable seedlings (lettuce, beets, cabbage, tomatoes, peas) in cute little burlap covered containers, $16.95 EACH.

The good news is Williams-Sonoma doesn't have the nerve to charge shipping on this stuff, at least for now. Free shipping ends May 3. You can peruse their other offerings here: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/agrarian-garden/?cm_type=lnav

I wonder what the carbon footprint is on a $16.95 pea plant shipped from California to New York?

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
Re: Williams-Sonoma 'Agrarian' line
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
That's hilarious! My personal favorite is the $879.00 chicken coop (with linoleum floor and cedar shake roof).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
Who in their right mind would buy this stuff?

Yuppies and hipsters more enamored with the idea and appearance of homesteading than the actualities of it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

C99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
My favorite is the Chicken Coop Predator Kit.  You get a roll of hardware cloth and some nails and washers for $60.   Home Depot carries the same hardware cloth for $34.  Of course theirs isn't photographed against a lovely vintage barn wood backdrop though.  That's gotta be worth a premium, huh?

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »
My favoirite is the twine. Its only 14.95 (insert eye roll here). I just bought a big roll of this stuff for a couple of bucks. Granted it didn't come in some sort of dispenser, but I am certain I will learn to live with out the dispenser.

I really just cannot believe those prices. I do hope most people are smart enough to know that their money is put to better use elsewhere.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
I was looking through the tools and saw a Nunki, we had a similar tool growing up for weeding that worked great!  But I'm not going to spend $60 for their's...  that's just unbelievable!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/copper-tools-nunki-weeder/

Oh, and you can monogram your tools for $7 more...  :D

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »
This kind of stuff has "wedding registry" written all over it...

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »
I do hope most people are smart enough to know that their money is put to better use elsewhere.

It's Williams-Sonoma, their core demographic is people with more money than common sense. After all, they wouldn't have created the line in the first place if they didn't think the pigeons they sell to wouldn't buy it.

I love their "White Glove" service on the coops and runs, too. Heaven forbid you get your hands dirty setting up and tending chickens.

Edit: After seeing yesterday's Liō, I couldn't resist. (linked instead of embedded for politeness sake)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:02:06 PM by I.P. Daley »

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
That's pretty good I.P. Daley...  :)

While I've got the pointing and laughing thing going about the prices, I'd love to go to a garage sale in a few years and see a bunch of that stuff lined up for sale at regular garage sale prices...