Author Topic: Professional Cake Smashing Photos...  (Read 11332 times)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Professional Cake Smashing Photos...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 01:20:06 PM »
I was honestly speechless for a minute.  Then two thoughts:

1) the chalkboard idea for an adult is neat, and

2) if you're going to blow $100+ on frivolity at least this involves eating cake...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »
<eyeroll>

I like how the writer said "it's a little weird right?" and the photograaphers (who get paid because of this) were all 'no, no, it's totally great'.

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 02:29:15 PM »
I think this the most facepunch worthy thing EVER posted on this site.

Waste of money, waste of food.

I think I am going to cry.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:32:32 PM by clarkevii »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »

Waste of money, waste of food.

I think I am going to cry.

It's 110% stupid, but it's also pretty minimal money, $100 + $10(?) for a cake.  I think if you think it's the most ridiculous money wasting thing ever and you want to cry you need to back off a little and go experience the real world for a while, then come back. 

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »
It was hyperbole. I did not actually cry.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 10:30:33 PM »
It's 110% stupid, but it's also pretty minimal money, $100 + $10(?) for a cake.  I think if you think it's the most ridiculous money wasting thing ever and you want to cry you need to back off a little and go experience the real world for a while, then come back.

Knowing many parents who have the cake smashing thing, it is way more than $10 for a cake. Think more like $100 for a plain one.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 12:36:29 AM »

Knowing many parents who have the cake smashing thing, it is way more than $10 for a cake. Think more like $100 for a plain one.

And that $200 could feed a person in the USA for a MONTH. So, when I think about that, I do almost cry...

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 06:07:17 AM »

We did one for my daughter (this is my cell phone snap, not the real pics) and that cake didn't cost more than $20. On a $4 serving platter my wife got at Homegoods.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 09:27:39 AM »
I don't even understand why this is a thing for either adults or kids.  Why is it a thing for kids?  I really don't get it.  But hey to each his own I guess. 

As a serious amateur baker I would punch someone in the face (kid or adult) if they did that to my cake :P (ok maybe not but they would *never* get one of my cakes again)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
I don't even understand why this is a thing for either adults or kids.  Why is it a thing for kids?  I really don't get it.  But hey to each his own I guess. 

As a serious amateur baker I would punch someone in the face (kid or adult) if they did that to my cake :P (ok maybe not but they would *never* get one of my cakes again)

You get a cute picture of a smiling kid covered in frosting.  I dunno.  It wasn't really a "thing" for us, we had 1 year old pictures scheduled anyways, we just brought a cake and took pictures of her ravaging it at the end of the session. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »
I've noticed a trend lately that the new one-year-old gets his/her own "smash cake," usually a cupcake, while the main cake is saved for eating.  Nothing wrong with that.

As for the 30-year-olds doing this ... sigh.  Sooner or later, you realize that you look really stupid in a tutu and tiara.  Also, the crazed-looking blonde in the article is from Richmond.  On behalf of all of RVA, I'm sorry.  :D

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »

People who don't make the cake and don't have to clean up a one year old constantly think it's adorable to see them obliterate a baked good and generally create a mess in a surprisingly large area around the cake.

Or, surviving the first year of parenthood is a big deal (the baby can actually do some things for themselves, you remember what it's like to sleep) so it became important to have a first birthday party and what's a birthday party without cake? And of course the person whose birthday it is should partake in the cake. Except one year olds are messy, so everyone embraced the mess as part of the first birthday schtick. Then add in consumerism and the need to monetize things, like the article said.

I still don't get the 30 year olds doing it though. They don't feel like they're really adults? Guess what! You've been an adult for 12 years, even if you did move back in with your parents after college!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »

If you were a serious professional baker, you would do well to consider advertising smaller smash cakes to coordinate with your full size cakes. 

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »
Can't say I'd go for this but there are times I have smashed*1 beer into my face.  Not two hunnert bux at one sitting, but it all adds up...

*1: metaphorically speaking*2

*2:metaphorically... I know it's writing

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »

If you were a serious professional baker, you would do well to consider advertising smaller smash cakes to coordinate with your full size cakes.

I'm not a professional baker.  If I were it might not bother me as obviously you have to learn to sell your goods to people and after they buy them it would no longer be my problem.  Now I'm just a serious (perhaps overly so) amateur baker who makes fancy cakes & deserts for family and friends.  Considering some of the birthday cakes I've done for my nephews have taken me 12+hrs to make and I don't charge for them I'd obviously be royally pissed if they were smashed.  Of course if this were a thing in my family (thankfully it's not) I'm sure we'd just buy a cupcake or something for the smashing while enjoying the other cake.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
Considering some of the birthday cakes I've done for my nephews have taken me 12+hrs to make and I don't charge for them I'd obviously be royally pissed if they were smashed.  Of course if this were a thing in my family (thankfully it's not) I'm sure we'd just buy a cupcake or something for the smashing while enjoying the other cake.

I don't know... I spent the better part of 14 months knitting an intricate heirloom blanket* for my nephew's baptism, which he promptly spent the whole time chewing on it (which meant I then had to spend hours blocking it out again after washing it). The photos are absolutely adorable.  So if I made cakes, and it was his first birthday, I think he and his twin brother smashing it up would be damn cute.

At 30 though, it's stupid. This is only cute with a baby.

*My family has a 150 year old baptismal gown, but there is only one, so we wanted something for the other twin.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
These are probably the same people who are always posting memes about how hard it is to do "adulting". And then they complain that they aren't getting free college educations for their art history degrees and a guaranteed minimum income. It's embarrassing.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 09:31:52 AM »
Sigh... another "look-at-me'ism" phase for the "kidults".

Hmm. Maybe this is the appeal of Trump 'man-baby'.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »
This is a good use of resources.  Nearly 700 million people in the world without access to clean drinking water, even more without access to enough food, and these assholes are wasting cake and paying good money for pictures to commemorate it.  They are terrible people and deserve a butt load of hemorrhoids. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »
....and what's a birthday party without cake?

Pie!!! Not cake... ;)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 03:29:26 PM »

I'm not a professional baker.  If I were it might not bother me as obviously you have to learn to sell your goods to people and after they buy them it would no longer be my problem.  Now I'm just a serious (perhaps overly so) amateur baker who makes fancy cakes & deserts for family and friends.  Considering some of the birthday cakes I've done for my nephews have taken me 12+hrs to make and I don't charge for them I'd obviously be royally pissed if they were smashed.  Of course if this were a thing in my family (thankfully it's not) I'm sure we'd just buy a cupcake or something for the smashing while enjoying the other cake.

Why would it bother you to see your cake smashed, but it doesn't bother you to see your cakes eaten? Either way the cake is destroyed, the recipient enjoyed the destruction, and there is (or will be) a resulting mess?

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:35 PM »

Why would it bother you to see your cake smashed, but it doesn't bother you to see your cakes eaten? Either way the cake is destroyed, the recipient enjoyed the destruction, and there is (or will be) a resulting mess?

Seriously?  The cake was made for people to enjoy by eating it.  If they want to smash something then I would just buy a shitty cake from the supermarket and let them smash that.  That's like asking someone who spend lots of time knitting a scarf for someone if they would be OK with it being used a reusable toilet paper instead of being worn.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 09:18:36 AM »

Seriously?  The cake was made for people to enjoy by eating it.  If they want to smash something then I would just buy a shitty cake from the supermarket and let them smash that.  That's like asking someone who spend lots of time knitting a scarf for someone if they would be OK with it being used a reusable toilet paper instead of being worn.

As someone who both knits and bakes, and has received a lot of unwanted and un-asked-for knit goods when I had kids, I think that a gift is a gift and judging how something is used after it is given is asking for trouble.

I would be happy to knit someone either a scarf or family cloths. I would rather know the end use so I could tailor the yarn to it (probably cotton for the cloths for durability, which wouldn't be as warm in a scarf). What I wouldn't do would be to knit an intricate intarsia scarf for someone who didn't ask for one, and then get mad when they don't use it how I want them to.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »

Note that in a "cake smash" the kids and adults ARE eating it, they're just eating it in a silly way, by shoving their hands into it and cramming it into their mouths, rather than using a plate and a fork.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
As someone who both knits and bakes, and has received a lot of unwanted and un-asked-for knit goods when I had kids, I think that a gift is a gift and judging how something is used after it is given is asking for trouble.

I would be happy to knit someone either a scarf or family cloths. I would rather know the end use so I could tailor the yarn to it (probably cotton for the cloths for durability, which wouldn't be as warm in a scarf). What I wouldn't do would be to knit an intricate intarsia scarf for someone who didn't ask for one, and then get mad when they don't use it how I want them to.

^^^ Preach that!

One of the most important parts of doing DIY is making sure that you're putting your effort into something the gift recipient will want and appreciate. Some of my gifts get pretty time-consuming and it's heartbreaking to find out that something I put a lot of time into is a bad fit. So unless the work involved is trivial (a couple evenings or less) I make sure the gift isn't a surprise, and run things like color, flavor, or style past the recipient. It's important to make sure the recipient wants to eat the jam or wear the socks.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »

^^^ Preach that!

One of the most important parts of doing DIY is making sure that you're putting your effort into something the gift recipient will want and appreciate. Some of my gifts get pretty time-consuming and it's heartbreaking to find out that something I put a lot of time into is a bad fit. So unless the work involved is trivial (a couple evenings or less) I make sure the gift isn't a surprise, and run things like color, flavor, or style past the recipient. It's important to make sure the recipient wants to eat the jam or wear the socks.

Yep. I received three beautifully hand-crocheted baby blankets with my first, all of which were a complete surprise to me. Two of the three were made with very stiff 100% polyester, and all three had holes too big to make them reasonable for wrapping a baby in. I kept one for sentimental reasons related to the person who made it and the other two went on Craislist free (with no response) and then to Goodwill, where they probably got thrown in the trash. (But at least I tried.)

I feel really bad that I didn't/couldn't use the gifts the way the giver intended, and I'm sure if they knew what I'd done they'd be mad about their wasted time, but I wasn't the one who decided to spend hours on something without ever asking for input.

Not to mention the pair of white, newborn-size booties I got from a lady in my grandma's bible study when my baby was 6 months old...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
My kid got approximately 20 knitted items. Mostly blankets. He used maybe 2. One we brought with us to show the aunt who knitted it that he was using it. It shed on him a lot.

But apparently babies needs lots of blankets...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »
My kid got approximately 20 knitted items. Mostly blankets. He used maybe 2. One we brought with us to show the aunt who knitted it that he was using it. It shed on him a lot.

As a crafter- this is why I only get excited about seeing things I make in the wild. (Like when a quilt pops up in a facebook photo 5 years down the road.)

Using a blanket just to show it was being used so doesn't count :)

When my sister had her twins I asked her if she wanted personalized quilts, she said "only if you want to make them". That told me they had more than enough already. I feel bad those 2 nephews are the only ones in the family who don't have them; but sister really didn't want them. (Other side of the family asks for new ones every few years as they wear theirs out and love 'em.)  But my sister's kids often ask me for monogrammed shirts, so they get those instead.

canuck_24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
As a crafter- this is why I only get excited about seeing things I make in the wild. (Like when a quilt pops up in a facebook photo 5 years down the road.)

Using a blanket just to show it was being used so doesn't count :)

When my sister had her twins I asked her if she wanted personalized quilts, she said "only if you want to make them". That told me they had more than enough already. I feel bad those 2 nephews are the only ones in the family who don't have them; but sister really didn't want them. (Other side of the family asks for new ones every few years as they wear theirs out and love 'em.)  But my sister's kids often ask me for monogrammed shirts, so they get those instead.

YES!  I completely agree.  I love making things for people, and seeing said things get loved and used.  At first, my nephew's mom would open whatever item and exclaim over it, and how she was going to put it in his "memory box" so it would never get ruined.  Wait - what?!  How will he ever have memories about something if it comes out of the gift wrap and directly into a box of things he's not allowed to touch?!  Thankfully, her relationship with my brother didn't last too long (long story) and for the past five years, my nephew's step-mom has encouraged the kids to all enjoy their things and it makes me much happier to see them getting good use out of them. 

I love the way you word "in the wild", that's exactly how I feel about it, though I've never put it quite like that.  :)

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »
I think there is definitely something missing in translation here.  Cubby 1 year old babies cake smash photo = adorable. Grown 30 year woman cake smash = disturbing.

canuck_24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
for 30 year olds.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2016/06/09/why-30-year-olds-are-smashing-cake-into-their-faces-yes-just-like-babies/

A small rant:  This is ludicrous.  I can see the cute "kids-getting-messy" cake shoots, and think the ones my nieces/nephews/friends have done turned out for some great photos.  They all did some nice portrait style ones to commemorate a first birthday and a cake smash afterwards... but 30 year olds dressing up as little kids/princesses with a cake placed between their legs (scroll near to the bottom of the OP to see to which person I am referring - miniature yellow tutu), wth?!   No, I don't find this isn't "cute", frankly I find it a little disturbing.

Also, I dislike being placed anywhere within the "millennial generation" because of things like this: "An Elon University study of people who post photos of themselves on social media said that millennials “feel the need to present themselves in ways that attract the most attention from their peers.” Like so many things born of Instagram, cake smashes for grown-ups fall into the category of: Maybe a wee-bit narcissistic, but not harming anyone, so why not?" 

Sigh, I suppose they're right though, it doesn't directly effect me, so, who am I to judge?  It's definitely not something I would do though!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »

To line the diaper changing surfaces, yes indeed. Many blankets are destroyed that way.

DutchV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 03:04:08 PM »
Cake smashing is cool for the birthday baby.  Give them a slice of cake or a cupcake and wait a bit.  You'll get a shot.  But professional photo shoots for this?  A bit much.  And so-called adults doing it for themselves?  Gotta be one of the weirder things I've heard of.   

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »

Actually, I think this falls second to "rollin' coal".   Can't find the original thread, but here:  http://www.break.com/article/15-rollin-coal-pics-to-blow-smoke-at-2655655

Sigh... another "look-at-me'ism" phase for the "kidults".

Right on.  If they were told they could never post it to social media, they wouldn't even bother doing it. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:35:23 AM by Kaspian »

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Professional Cake Smashing Photos...
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2016, 03:32:36 PM »
Fuckin' millennials. Too much time on their hands. And I say that as a 34 year old (technically millennial) with a family and actual responsibility. I'm lucky if I get to watch a 30 min tv show uninterrupted and these jackasses have time to waste cake?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:45:43 PM by ArcadeStache »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »
Fuckin' millennials. Too much time on their hands. And I say that as a 34 year old (technically millennial) with a family and actual responsibility. I'm lucky if I get to watch a 30 min tv show uninterrupted and these jackasses have time to waste cake?

u mad, bro?

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2016, 02:13:46 AM »

u mad, bro?

Nah, just a frazzled parent who gets tired of seeing unmarried/childless peers live it up.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2016, 09:02:22 AM »
Nah, just a frazzled parent who gets tired of seeing unmarried/childless peers live it up.

If it's any consolation, cake smashing is not "living it up".   It's insecurity and attention-seeking of epic proportions in order to fill a bottomless hole in the heart because daddy didn't give enough hugs.

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 12:57:49 PM »

If it's any consolation, cake smashing is not "living it up".   It's insecurity and attention-seeking of epic proportions in order to fill a bottomless hole in the heart because daddy didn't give enough hugs.

True...clearly there are other issues at work for someone to think it is socially acceptable to literally act like a baby. But I suspect these are the same kinds of people who constantly travel on a whim, act entitled all the time and are answerable to no one. I guess I can take consolation in the fact that they will probably have a rude awakening someday and have to work until they die.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »

I was going to respond to this, but Metric Mouse kinda beat me to it:

u mad, bro?

I mean, it seems from the couple posts made here that you (ArcadeStache) object more to the fact they have time available when you don't. I sure hope you never talk much with folks on this forum who already FIREd. I think you'd about flip your shit when you find out how much free time some of those folks get! ;)

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »

I was going to respond to this, but Metric Mouse kinda beat me to it:

u mad, bro?

I mean, it seems from the couple posts made here that you (ArcadeStache) object more to the fact they have time available when you don't. I sure hope you never talk much with folks on this forum who already FIREd. I think you'd about flip your shit when you find out how much free time some of those folks get! ;)

Meh... Don't mind me... Just had a rough week at work and with our potty training 3 yr old. Plus I work with some millennials who think they are so special and work so hard when in fact they don't have a clue. I have nothing but respect for the FIREd people with free time... They earned it. In fact, I want to be like them!

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 06:51:15 PM »

True...clearly there are other issues at work for someone to think it is socially acceptable to literally act like a baby. But I suspect these are the same kinds of people who constantly travel on a whim, act entitled all the time and are answerable to no one. I guess I can take consolation in the fact that they will probably have a rude awakening someday and have to work until they die.

Oh, they will not!  Clearly, whatever monetary unhappiness befalls them in the future will be somebody else's fault--their employers, the government, the immigrants, the banks, the 1%, the Boomers, the people on welfare...  It's not like they wasted all their money on smashing cake or something.  ;)  They will still be answerable to no one no matter the life position.  Narcissus and Marie Antoinette approve.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2016, 07:02:40 PM »
I work with some millennials who think they are so special and work so hard when in fact they don't have a clue. I have nothing but respect for the FIREd people with free time... They earned it. In fact, I want to be like them!

Yeah, I do totally see that myself, in fairness. I have noticed an interesting correlation in folks I know between 'complaining on tumblr eabout how baby boomers ruined everything so it's all their fault' and 'not making much of an effort to forge a life for themselves' (whatever form that life may take). And it's interesting how these complainants always seem to skip Gens X and Y and go right to boomers for the blame. Sure, things were easier in some ways for the boomers (but NOT for their parents!). But often it seems like just finding an easy target to assign blame to in order to avoid taking any responsibility for one's own life.

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
Well, I don't like to generalize and there are obviously plenty of millennials with a decent head on their shoulders. But for the ones who bug me, I think what bothers me most is that some think they are God's gift to their field and completely write off the experience of anyone senior. I've actually heard them say they are better than everyone in the office despite having hardly any experience and not performing nearly as well as they think. So I can accept millennials' inexperience and their fads (like their snapchats, and what's apps, and crap music), but they should learn some respect.

Now get off my lawn!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2016, 02:39:50 PM »

Nah,   I see it more like people that wear "festival wear" or wings / tails and such on their day to day clothing.   It's weird, trying to be / act infantile -- maybe Anime with their deliberately young (school kid) dress styles, or asian inspired "hello kitty" for adults is coming to North America?  , yet then we have the post thread about pre-K "proms" with kids mimicking adults.   

Cake smashing for adults began with wedding cake photos and then went to "Trash the dress" photos, so maybe not surprising that young, single 30's want to have a "memory" photo too?  But really, why not just run a marathon, bungee jump, paint a mural or some thing else life worthy to take a photo of..

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »

A cousin of mine makes beautiful smash cakes, specifically, as a side business to earn extra money. I think if you know what you're doing, and you understand from the start what is going to happen to your work of art, it's better. :)

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
ok as a 33 year old I think this is rediculous and I can't see making myself a 'smash cake'.  Now when the baby turns 1 in a few months I assume we'll have a small party and cake and I assume we'll give her a piece. Now since I'm highly doubting she'll be up to a fork by that point it will get smashed and put in her hair because that's what happens to everything from morning oatmeal to dinnertime potatoes. And of course we'll take photos because it's her birthday. I would certainly consider making her her own smash cupcake mainly so I could make a flavor of cake for the adults she isn't likely to like (tiramisu).