Poll

Would you use private jets if the cost was $4 per flight?

Yes
68 (94.4%)
No
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 01, 2014, 11:01:29 AM

Author Topic: Private jet flights for four dollars  (Read 5939 times)

ch12

• Pencil Stache
Private jet flights for four dollars
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »
I have an embarrassing Anti-Mustachian desire: if I had exorbitant amounts of money, I'd use private jets (probably shared with other people). I really like the JetSuite company, and I think that they do a good job.

As a Fourth of July promotion, they are letting people take private jets for $4 through their SuiteDeals (where they have to fly an empty jet between paying passengers who are paying normal rates). Normally, you can get an entire jet for $536 and change via SuiteDeals.

If private jets cost you only $4 per flight, would you use them?

http://www.today.com/travel/last-minute-july-4-weekend-travel-deals-1D79851271

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
Re: Private jet flights for four dollars
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
Umm, yeah. Who wouldn't?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »
I would do it once (well, round-trip) for the novelty factor. not unlimited times because it's pretty horrible for the environment. but I can see the appeal :)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
Yeah, especially if it is flying empty otherwise!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »
Wait, you can book the entire jet for $536?  Sheesh, if I were travelling with my family, I'd take it at *that* price!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »
Yeah, especially if it is flying empty otherwise!

oh, good point!

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I value that the majority of you have said yes. :)

Wait, you can book the entire jet for $536?  Sheesh, if I were travelling with my family, I'd take it at *that* price!

Yes - and you can sign up for alerts for when there are SuiteDeals coming out of your home airport, apparently. I hadn't created an account there until today (just lurked and wished I could afford jet travel). With the random potential to fly out on July 4, I finally created an account so that I could possibly get a SuiteDeal. I'm pretty sure that their website will be subjected to heavy traffic tomorrow, but also they have web guys (as in Tony Hsieh of Zappos is a major investor/advisor), so I'm 80% sure that they can handle heavy loads, given the load of marketing they've done today.

I would do it once (well, round-trip) for the novelty factor. not unlimited times because it's pretty horrible for the environment. but I can see the appeal :)
That was the major reason why I could see someone facepunching me (and there is one NO vote on the poll). Mr. Money Mustache says to make decisions as if you had unlimited money, but that you still had your value system. My value system...apparently is flexible in the face of $4 private jet flights. :) I care about the environment, but not so much that I wouldn't hitch a ride on an otherwise empty jet flight.

rubor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 09:12:51 PM »
Against my better judgement, I actually clicked through to the link. There are actually a few listed $536 flights. For instance, Philadelphia to Philadelphia. Might suggest a cab for that one. There's also Eugene, OR to Seattle. Seems like these might be better approached by car, but that's just my opinion.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 09:13:48 PM »
Uh, $536? In your dreams. I'm not even sure that would cover the fuel for an empty flight. Just looked at NYC-Las Vegas. $25,400 for 2 people. Enjoy!

Well it's a marketing ploy.  I'm sure the few deals like this are snapped up immediately and they are one way.  The fee they charge normal customers ultimately covers these dead legs

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
Uh, $536? In your dreams. I'm not even sure that would cover the fuel for an empty flight. Just looked at NYC-Las Vegas. $25,400 for 2 people. Enjoy!

Well it's a marketing ploy.  I'm sure the few deals like this are snapped up immediately and they are one way.  The fee they charge normal customers ultimately covers these dead legs

Well, yes.

“We post on average 10 SuiteDeals a day,” said JetSuite chief executive officer Alex Wilcox. “We sell three or four. They represent far less than 1% of our total revenue.” The company’s main business is full-rate charters.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140617-fly-like-a-rock-star

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »
I've flown on private (corporate) jets before. It's pretty much the best thing ever. No security, no lines, no bullshit. Lots of leg room. Decent wifi, and electrical and USB outlets. Nobody sitting next to you, no fatties, no smelly people, no loud people. No children. Oh, and free food and drinks from the company.

It's everything that flying could be.

Also fun: private airplanes (two-seaters, four-seaters, and the like); and traveling on a not super popular route but on a major airline and airport (eg: San Jose, Portland, Phoenix triangle) on the first flight of the day, on a central weekday (tues/wed/thurs); you get an airbus c230 or some shit, with three seats per person... so you just stretch out lengthwise and go to sleep.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »
The major benefit of flying private is that my dog can come too.  Unfortunately JetSuite doesn't allow dogs. :(

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »
No.  But I hate flying.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
In a world where jets are powered by good intentions and children's laughter, yes, I will take that deal