Author Topic: Pricing released for Disney's Star Wars-themed hotel  (Read 8698 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Pricing released for Disney's Star Wars-themed hotel
« on: August 24, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »
Disney are building a hotel to pair with their Galaxy's Edge theme park expansion.  It's touted to be a fully-immersive experience, with characters and events unfolding around you throughout your stay. 

Pricing recently leaked.  Prepare to get out your credit card.  Or cards, because it'll cost ya.  And you have to stay at least two nights.  If you're flying solo (so to speak), it'll cost you $3,300 for your two-night stay.  A family or group of five will pay $7,200 (total).

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Pricing released for Disney's Star Wars-themed hotel
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 01:53:34 PM »
I saw that on the Disney board earlier.  That's insane, but there are people who are big enough fans and are willing to pay it.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 01:59:56 PM »
Disney is going to have a lot of troubling selling those rooms because Star Wars is currently much less popular than it was twenty years ago. The new Disney Star Wars movies have been rather poorly received by fans and there is much less interest in the series from kids these days as a result. The new Star Wars themed lands at the Disney Parks have not generated the revenues that Disney predicted because of all of that.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 05:42:03 PM »
Star Wars was never that great. The original three movies were okay, and the latest trilogy is a bit better, but they're not OMGSOOPERFANTASTICGOTTASPEND$3,000ONASTARWARSTHEMEDPLAYGROUND.

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »
My friends and I are fans enough to play some Star Wars themed miniature games, but no one was interested in a Star Wars amusement park, or any other 'immersive' experiences. It's all just too much.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
Pricing recently leaked.  Prepare to get out your credit card.  Or cards, because it'll cost ya.  And you have to stay at least two nights.  If you're flying solo (so to speak), it'll cost you $3,300 for your two-night stay.  A family or group of five will pay $7,200 (total).

That's too bad. If it were more reasonably priced that could have been a lot of fun.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 02:05:43 PM »
Darn, I would love to check that out, it would be fun but not for that kind of money. 

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
Darn, I would love to check that out, it would be fun but not for that kind of money.

Same here. Also, apart from the cost, I don't think anyone else in my household would even be interested in staying in such a resort. It does sound fascinating but not at this price.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
But everytime you'd look out the window you'd see your perfectly normal parking lot full of normal cars - right? ;)

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »
1st of all F*ck disney. Their entire business model is basically emotional extortion. I've not taken my kids, hope to never do it. I think I would rather take the whole family to Europe for a month and save money.

It might not even be kids that they are going for, isn't the childless millennial their new target?

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 07:53:00 PM »
$7200 for two nights? Nope! We’ve managed to avoid the Disney thing.

All 5 of us are Harry Potter fans and we did do Universal. We stayed in Coco beach for free using Hilton points and commuted in to Orlando. It was good. Don’t need to do it again.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 08:10:52 PM »

All 5 of us are Harry Potter fans and we did do Universal. We stayed in Coco beach for free using Hilton points and commuted in to Orlando. It was good. Don’t need to do it again.

My wife and I are planning to rent an entire castle in Ireland for ten days for our ten year anniversary and it's going to cost less than it costs for two nights at the Star Wars hotel.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 09:08:06 PM »

My wife and I are planning to rent an entire castle in Ireland for ten days for our ten year anniversary and it's going to cost less than it costs for two nights at the Star Wars hotel.

Oooh, do you have a link to this castle that you can rent?

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 12:36:14 AM »
 it's not "immersive" unless a customer can smell the burnt flesh and molten metal that were the laser rifles' targets...

I do have a friend who will probably have wet dreams thinking about vacationing his family there.... after he pays off the thousands $$ in credit card bills for his anniversary trip cruise tickets [ and the $1200 camera needed for that trip....]

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 06:24:16 AM »
1st of all F*ck disney. Their entire business model is basically emotional extortion. I've not taken my kids, hope to never do it. I think I would rather take the whole family to Europe for a month and save money.

It might not even be kids that they are going for, isn't the childless millennial their new target?

I love 75 minutes from DisneyWorld and wouldn't go there even if I got a free ticket and hotel and transport, unless they threw in $100/hour "stipend".
It's cheaper to travel international than going to Walt's Rat Swamp and stand in lines most of the day.

My kids have been told they can pick one park for a one time visit with the parents. Both kids need to pick the same park, and both parents will join. That's the pain limit I'll endure.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »
But everytime you'd look out the window you'd see your perfectly normal parking lot full of normal cars - right? ;)
Actually, from what I understand, each room's "windows" will look out into (simulated) space.  It's supposed to be a totally immersive experience, so no, you won't see a parking lot.  They'll have a "shuttle bay" where you'll board transports (i.e. buses built to feel like a spacecraft, with screens instead of windows) that will take you directly to Galaxy's Edge.

At least, that's what I've heard.  Galaxy's Edge saw a lot of budget cuts from its original concepts (one fewer ride, fewer in-character citizens roaming the streets, no live-action scenes taking place around the park), so it'll be interesting to see whether all the immersive stuff makes it through construction, or how long it lasts.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 08:34:17 AM »
It looks extremely cool.  It would be like staying at a movie set.  I would be suspect if those prices were accurate.  They can always change them, usually going down is easier than up.  Disney is really good at putting the effects and stage polish on.  If the price was like $500-700/night I'd probably squeeze a couple nights in.  That would be on par with a fancy ski lodge.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 08:36:17 AM »

DH and I, as HP fans, have talked about going to Universal and commuting to Orlando for the day on the next FL trip.  We have family in the Melbourne area and go there every year, staying in a Doubletree hotel using Hilton points, too.    But we have avoided Disney much to the shock of many when they learn that for all our trips to FL, we have not gone there.  We have discussed going there a couple of times but the prices always put us off and now there's just no chance ever.   Just yesterday, my coworker mentioned he is going to DW next month and the cost of a 5 day pass is $450 per person.  So $900 total for him and his wife just to get in for 5 days, not including taxes.   And that does not include the $25 per day for parking.   

Their entire business model is basically emotional extortion.

Exactly my thoughts.  I always liked the Disney cartoons and animated films, but seeing how much they charge people for the experience of going to their park is just obscene.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »

Sure. Here it is: https://www.killaharacastle.com/  They did a fantastic job of restoring it to rent it out to tourists. We are spending ten nights there and taking day trips every day to historic sites in the surrounding counties. Way better than some fake "immersive" experience at Disney.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »

Sure. Here it is: https://www.killaharacastle.com/  They did a fantastic job of restoring it to rent it out to tourists. We are spending ten nights there and taking day trips every day to historic sites in the surrounding counties. Way better than some fake "immersive" experience at Disney.

Wow! They did do a nice job in restoring it.   Agree, way better than Disney! 

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
At first it sounds pricey, but if it includes meals and entertainment then it's not all that bad. With five people in a cabin, that's just $480 per person per day. Compare that to $250 per person per day for a standard trip to Disney world (2 adults, 3 kids, deluxe dining plan, art of animation hotel, non-hopper tickets).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »
Exactly my thoughts.  I always liked the Disney cartoons and animated films, but seeing how much they charge people for the experience of going to their park is just obscene.

I wonder how expensive it is to run a big park like that...

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »

I wonder how expensive it is to run a big park like that...
Probably $7-9 billion a year. See page 35 of their 10k. Total operational cost of all their parks were $11.6 billion in 2018.
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2018-Annual-Report.pdf

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »
Disney is going to have a lot of troubling selling those rooms because Star Wars is currently much less popular than it was twenty years ago. The new Disney Star Wars movies have been rather poorly received by fans and there is much less interest in the series from kids these days as a result. The new Star Wars themed lands at the Disney Parks have not generated the revenues that Disney predicted because of all of that.

Yeah, Disney gambled big on Star Wars land and really struck out because they didn't understand their audience well. I know for Disneyland they blacked out a lot of the annual passholders and have seen abysmal park attendance. They thought they'd get more out of town interest, but the reality is most of their ticket sales are from locals. Worse, they opened the land in June and don't expect to have 1 of the 2 rides open until early 2020. Essentially they have half the "land" wasted.

Adding a hotel on top of it, especially at that price point, will likely cost them even more revenue.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »

Years living in Central Florida: 22
Number of minor children: 2
Trips to Disney World: ZERO

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »

Thanks! Wow, that looks amazing!

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 04:02:54 PM »
DH and I, as HP fans, have talked about going to Universal and commuting to Orlando for the day on the next FL trip.  We have family in the Melbourne area and go there every year, staying in a Doubletree hotel using Hilton points, too.    But we have avoided Disney much to the shock of many when they learn that for all our trips to FL, we have not gone there.  We have discussed going there a couple of times but the prices always put us off and now there's just no chance ever.   Just yesterday, my coworker mentioned he is going to DW next month and the cost of a 5 day pass is $450 per person.  So $900 total for him and his wife just to get in for 5 days, not including taxes.   And that does not include the $25 per day for parking.   
What's unreasonable about this?  That's less than $100 a day and if you shop around enough you can find even cheaper.   Ski lift tickets are over $150 a day for walk ups (although early tickets are like $50-70/day).  Most major theme parks are ~$100 a day.  Even Universal is charging like $140 for a single day and it isn't nearly as good as Disney.  We were just shopping for our next Florida trip.

Disney tends to be on the expensive end, but I find you get what you pay for in quality.  I've never seen a park come near the polish and quality.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
What's unreasonable about this?  That's less than $100 a day and if you shop around enough you can find even cheaper.   Ski lift tickets are over $150 a day for walk ups (although early tickets are like $50-70/day).  Most major theme parks are ~$100 a day.  Even Universal is charging like $140 for a single day and it isn't nearly as good as Disney.  We were just shopping for our next Florida trip.

Disney tends to be on the expensive end, but I find you get what you pay for in quality.  I've never seen a park come near the polish and quality.

... Are you new to this forum?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2019, 07:45:40 PM »

Yeah, Disney gambled big on Star Wars land and really struck out because they didn't understand their audience well. I know for Disneyland they blacked out a lot of the annual passholders and have seen abysmal park attendance. They thought they'd get more out of town interest, but the reality is most of their ticket sales are from locals. Worse, they opened the land in June and don't expect to have 1 of the 2 rides open until early 2020. Essentially they have half the "land" wasted.

Adding a hotel on top of it, especially at that price point, will likely cost them even more revenue.
FWIW, this new resort will be in Florida, not California.  The Star Wars land in Florida opens late this year, and both rides will be open in FL before CA's second ride opens.

I agree that they made some serious errors.  Much of Disney parks are based on nostalgia.  Disney based Galaxy's Edge on a movie they haven't even released yet.  I've heard that it was originally intended to be themed after the original trilogy (Endor, Tatooine, Death Star), which I think would have been far more successful.  Of course, The Last Jedi lost them a *lot* of fans, so that didn't help either.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2019, 10:13:52 PM »

FWIW, this new resort will be in Florida, not California.  The Star Wars land in Florida opens late this year, and both rides will be open in FL before CA's second ride opens.

I agree that they made some serious errors.  Much of Disney parks are based on nostalgia.  Disney based Galaxy's Edge on a movie they haven't even released yet.  I've heard that it was originally intended to be themed after the original trilogy (Endor, Tatooine, Death Star), which I think would have been far more successful.  Of course, The Last Jedi lost them a *lot* of fans, so that didn't help either.

I know I'm just one person, but the new Star Wars movies completely killed my interest in the entire franchise. And that's saying a lot because my wife and I had a wedding cake with the Millennium Falcon, Han Solo and Princess Leia action figures as cake toppers, and frosting that was designed to look like star-lines in hyperspace. After we saw "The Force Awakens" in the theater a few years ago, it just completely killed every bit of interest we had in Star Wars. It was a formulaic re-telling of Episode IV with bland, uninteresting characters played by uncharismatic actors, a script that was boring, unfunny, and took absolutely no chances, and an utter disdain for the original trilogy of movie's characters. We felt completely disrespected as fans and it was pretty clear that Disney doesn't really care about Star Wars as anything other than a way to wring money out of nostalgic fans.

We haven't seen any other Star Wars shows or movies since that one, but I hear that "The Last Jedi" was the "last straw" for a lot of other fans, because apparently it turned Star Wars into a strange postmodern sci-fi series where Joseph Campbell's theories about storytelling are no longer considered important. They lost the plot and -- as a direct result -- they lost their fans.

It probably wouldn't have been that hard to make a really successful Star Wars trilogy, especially if they had based it on the very, very successful Timothy Zahn novels from the 90s-2000s, but Disney has their agenda and whatever.

I'm not bitter about this situation, though, because there is an overwhelming number of excellent science fiction and fantasy series being produced right now and a lot of them are brand new, creator-owned stories. Fans don't really need Star Wars anymore. It's fine.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 08:06:52 AM »
And that's saying a lot because my wife and I had a wedding cake with the Millennium Falcon, Han Solo and Princess Leia action figures as cake toppers, and frosting that was designed to look like star-lines in hyperspace.

Wow, sounded like a cool wedding cake and topper!

It probably wouldn't have been that hard to make a really successful Star Wars trilogy, especially if they had based it on the very, very successful Timothy Zahn novels from the 90s-2000s, but Disney has their agenda and whatever.

I read the Timothy Zahn series and they were great.  I agree they could have based a good trilogy on those.   Might also been able to base a trilogy from the Dark Horse comics that ran from 1991 to 2014.  Plenty of good material there, too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:08:08 AM by saguaro »

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 09:28:57 AM »
Those prices are crazy high. Though there might be enough fans left to fill the hotel if it’s small enough.

I read the Timothy Zahn series and they were great.  I agree they could have based a good trilogy on those.   Might also been able to base a trilogy from the Dark Horse comics that ran from 1991 to 2014.  Plenty of good material there, too.

Zahn’s series would have been amazing. Talk about a missed opportunity.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »

I think his question wasn't based on just general cost of entertainment.  (Hiking is free!) But the cost of this type of entertainment.
For a theme park, particularly Disney, this is par for the course, and same as skiing.  If you like those sorts of things.

I'm glad we don't ski.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »

I agree it's very expensive, but for a full day's entertainment with something for everyone it's not too bad.  I've been way too many times to count (FL resident and I have taken advantage of the Spring special) but it is truly one of my happy places.  I hope you enjoy your next trip!

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »

I think his question wasn't based on just general cost of entertainment.  (Hiking is free!) But the cost of this type of entertainment.
For a theme park, particularly Disney, this is par for the course, and same as skiing.  If you like those sorts of things.

I'm glad we don't ski.
Yes, I meant it is expensive, but it is on par or even a good value compared to some alternatives in that same category.  It can be abused, but I think getting 8-10 hours per day of memorable entertainment from it is worth it every few years.

Skiing is one of my luxuries and favorite hobbies.  I own my own gear via facebook marketplace and friends.  So $600 annual pass lets me ski a lot.  Last year I got 20 days of skiing in, so $30/day for lift ticket side.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »

I'm glad we don't ski.
Yes, I meant it is expensive, but it is on par or even a good value compared to some alternatives in that same category.  It can be abused, but I think getting 8-10 hours per day of memorable entertainment from it is worth it every few years.

Skiing is one of my luxuries and favorite hobbies.  I own my own gear via facebook marketplace and friends.  So $600 annual pass lets me ski a lot.  Last year I got 20 days of skiing in, so $30/day for lift ticket side.

I go to Disney World all the time and it's free because... I have a virtual reality headset. I was skeptical that it would be as good as being there in person but... it actually is. Better living through technology. There are probably YouTube VR channels for skiing too.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »
The description makes it sound like West World - and we all know how that turned out!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »
Don't you think Disney leaked the pricing to see if it would fly?

This pricing also doesn't seem that crazy for Disney.  If I recall, "savanna view" rates at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (the closest existing immersive experience I can think of) run from 700 to $1k a night depending on the season. And the only immersion there is that you can see African animals from your balcony.

People pay hundreds of dollars to eat dinner with princesses - I can totally see people paying a couple of thousand to live out their StarWars dreams.

*I'm a Disney fan. If you like theme parks, then Disney is the highest quality that I've been to. I've also never paid for character dining or the "extras" but think it is a great trip if you like that sort of thing.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »
Savanna view rooms start at $500/ night. Maybe you are thinking of the villas which do run $700+ for the savanna view.

That sounds right! Thanks. My parents are DVC members so I tend to default to looking at villas when I do price comparisons.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2019, 03:46:56 PM »
Keep in mind that the room (or villa)'s cost can be spread across all the guests, so if you have a family of 4, it's $125-$175/person/night.  A full Star Wars hotel experience (5 people, two nights, $7200) is a whopping $720/night/person.  That's....freakin' ridiculous if you ask me.

If you assume the room itself is a constant cost, that means that $3900 of the 5-person cost is for the extra 4 people.  So each extra guest costs $975 for two days.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »

People look at me crazy when I express a similar sentiment.  Usually I go with “childhood is about becoming an adult.  Disney is about preventing adulthood”

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2019, 04:36:30 PM »
it's not "immersive" unless a customer can smell the burnt flesh and molten metal that were the laser rifles' targets...

I do have a friend who will probably have wet dreams thinking about vacationing his family there.... after he pays off the thousands $$ in credit card bills for his anniversary trip cruise tickets [ and the $1200 camera needed for that trip....]

For 1200 you can hire a photographer with a $6000 camera to follow you around for a day.  And you’ll get better pictures.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2019, 04:53:08 PM »
Keep in mind that the room (or villa)'s cost can be spread across all the guests, so if you have a family of 4, it's $125-$175/person/night.  A full Star Wars hotel experience (5 people, two nights, $7200) is a whopping $720/night/person.  That's....freakin' ridiculous if you ask me.

If you assume the room itself is a constant cost, that means that $3900 of the 5-person cost is for the extra 4 people.  So each extra guest costs $975 for two days.

oh absolutely! I was just thinking that people who have no problem paying $700 a night so their kid might see a giraffe from their balcony would have no problem spending bank so their kids (and they) could live in StarWars for a couple of days.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »
Given that it is "immersive" does it mean that you spend the entire time inside the hotel? If so, compared to the price of park tickets + hotel (say $500 a night + $400 per day for park tickets for 4 people = x 3 night = $2700). Maybe not as out of line w/ the other prices? (Still crazy expensive).

I know at least one person who will definitely do this.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 05:20:12 AM »
Given that it is "immersive" does it mean that you spend the entire time inside the hotel? If so, compared to the price of park tickets + hotel (say $500 a night + $400 per day for park tickets for 4 people = x 3 night = $2700). Maybe not as out of line w/ the other prices? (Still crazy expensive).

Yes.  From how it has been described, you are taken there in a special vehicle (no windows) to a drop off point and you spend the entire time in the hotel.  No windows so you can't see outside, you can't walk outside, you are fully immersed in the experience for the full time of your stay.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »

Yes.  From how it has been described, you are taken there in a special vehicle (no windows) to a drop off point and you spend the entire time in the hotel.  No windows so you can't see outside, you can't walk outside, you are fully immersed in the experience for the full time of your stay.

It's not only that.  The hotel itself has a number of sets, like a bridge for the spaceship, which have events happen.  (it gets attacked)  In this sense, there is also "exclusive content" for those people, too.  It's like the hotel is an extra ride.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2019, 10:13:40 AM »
Since it is being described as almost a cruise on land, that price might also include food which can easily tack on another $100 a day per person.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »
I am really looking forward to seeing the YouTube videos from influencers who stay at this hotel. However, I have no personal interest in shelling out that kind of dough. At least, if I were going to, I could think of better ways to spend it.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »
Don't you think Disney leaked the pricing to see if it would fly?

This pricing also doesn't seem that crazy for Disney.  If I recall, "savanna view" rates at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (the closest existing immersive experience I can think of) run from 700 to $1k a night depending on the season. And the only immersion there is that you can see African animals from your balcony.

People pay hundreds of dollars to eat dinner with princesses - I can totally see people paying a couple of thousand to live out their StarWars dreams.

*I'm a Disney fan. If you like theme parks, then Disney is the highest quality that I've been to. I've also never paid for character dining or the "extras" but think it is a great trip if you like that sort of thing.

Yeah, I love Disney, too.  I don't go often, but I love it. 

Disney is masterful in its ability to separate people from their money.  They will find a way to price this such that it's pretty close to fully booked up all the time.  They will come up with a series of carefully crafted promotions and incentives that will get people to pay up, maybe not quite what they are initially asking, but enough so that they are making money hand over fist for this.  And over time, as people get used to the pricing, they can reduce the promotions as needed to keep the crowds up.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »
Whenever I pick up a travel magazine and see a resort in the jungle or a beach house in a beautiful location, it's always several thousand dollars a night. So this seems right on par with that.

So, I go to that destination and I pack my tent and sleep in the nearest campground for almost free.

Stayed a week on the big island of Hawaii in the park for $10 (price has since risen).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!