Author Topic: Pretty sure the joke's on me...  (Read 6181 times)

EMP

• Bristles
Pretty sure the joke's on me...
« on: April 11, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
Just wrapped up a week long visit with my decidedly unMustachian in-laws.  While desperately casting about for topics that weren't politics or religion, I mentioned we would be looking at replacing the 2005 Monte Carlo with something a little more suited to our needs.  Which are 1. reliability, 2. fuel efficiency, and 3. the ability to haul a significant amount of both stuff and people.  I mentioned that I am leaning towards a Japanese minivan. 

My FIL starts looking at the classifieds for American SUV's and MIL corners my hubby and lets him know he needs to start making more money because no one in their right mind would want to drive a minivan. 

I'm just glad I didn't mention we would be buying used. 

EveningNewbs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Pretty sure the joke's on me...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
I know how that feels. My father-in-law is in his 70s and still needs to work for a living. I just avoid mentioning anything money-related around him.

GreenGuava

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 08:29:35 PM »
My FIL starts looking at the classifieds for American SUV's and MIL corners my hubby and lets him know he needs to start making more money because no one in their right mind would want to drive a minivan. 

One of my best friends in college used to tell us that his dream car was a minivan.  He has since bought one - paid something like $4000 for it, cash.  He and I are the only two people I know who are driving our respective dream cars - his being that minivan and mine being a paid-for sedan.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »

One of my best friends in college used to tell us that his dream car was a minivan.  He has since bought one - paid something like $4000 for it, cash.  He and I are the only two people I know who are driving our respective dream cars - his being that minivan and mine being a paid-for sedan.

One of my college buddies loved his minivan for the sober person to drunk people ratio.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »
I know how that feels. My father-in-law is in his 70s and still needs to work for a living. I just avoid mentioning anything money-related around him.

My FIL hates his job at 60. He's been through 3 places in the last 6 years. If it wasn't for the garage full of toys, I'm sure he could probably retire already. I just bite my tongue.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:34:04 AM »
My dad is 75. Still working - but it's mostly SWAMI work.

BUT his (5000 square foot) house isn't paid for. He has three cars and a boat. An elaborate alarm system and several guns (yet he lives on an island).

It really is hard to understand other people's choices...!

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »
Eh, when they're just doing things I wouldn't do I can enjoy their foibles.  I just don't see why they can't STFU about the how we spend our money. 

I actually get it that they can't shut up because the way we spend money is some kind of assault on their value system.  But c'mon, they see gay marriage as an assault on their value system. 

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
Yes, it does annoy me when my in-laws start lecturing us on how we should spend our money...so far the biggest lecture-related topics center around giving more to charity (wtf?  none of their business, and they have no idea what we give in the first place) and telling us we're too cheap and should get cable.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
Don't even get me started on the subject of our free, slightly lightning -struck TV.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »
My in-laws are coming to visit in 2 weeks - threads like these make me appreciate the unimportant topics we cover - weather, flowers, how's the job, etc.  Once, FIL made some comment about how we SHOULD leave all our money to our nieces/nephews (we have no children).  I made it very clear that how we spend our money and who we leave it to was none of his business.  Has never made money comments since.

All in all, I have sensible in-laws, so I can't complain - they have budgeted well over the course of their life, haven't been extravagant, and are enjoying a nice retirement.  The Aunt-in-law on the other hand, is a real piece of work... and unfortunately she's coming to visit, too.  Should be interesting!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
I have had Chevy or GMC vans for years (kind of a"mini van" but with full frames and rear wheel drive).  Current one is 10 years old and cost me $10,000.  Can haul the boat, kids, bikes, and I sleep in it when I travel because I can't stand paying $65 or more to sleep for a few hours inside.

First date awhile back I picked up the girl with my Astro Van.  She was impressed that I wasn't concerned about what others thought of me.  Later, when she found out that I had a vintage Vette and a BMW motorcycle at home she really was impressed.  (Just so you know - sold the Vette (bought at $10,500 and sold at $31,500 - 22 years later) to pay off the house.  Riding a less expensive Beemer now too!)