Author Topic: Pre-brined turkey  (Read 14896 times)

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
Pre-brined turkey
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
My wife and I are going to try brining our turkey this year. While in costco my wife stumbled upon some pre-brined turkeys. took a look at the price tag of one of them, $60. SIXTY DOLLARS. It was a 20lb turkey. The organic 20lb turkeys were half the price and the non organic were going for $.99 a lb. After careful consideration we decided to continue with our self-brining plan.

If anyone is interested we're following Alton Brown's advice and recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

noob515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Pre-brined turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »

If anyone is interested we're following Alton Brown's advice and recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

I've heard good things about that recipe, although from what I remember, it involves more ingredients than I personally want to bother with.

I bought an organic fresh turkey from the local butcher, and it was $2.99/lb.  It's the first time I've bought a fresh turkey, or bought from the local butcher, but it sounds like in my attempt to support the local mom n' pop economy, I've totally overspent.  Boo.  :(

SMC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:40:49 AM »
I made a turkey last weekend, brined it myself, it was super easy.  I didn't have a pot big enough for the turkey to soak in so I put it in a garbage bag, then put that in my camping cooler.  Took about 2 gallons of salt water to completely cover it, and I added salt at 1cup per gallon.  Really made a huge difference, definitely worth it.

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »
Don't you know how time consuming it is to cover a turkey with salt water and let it sit in the fridge overnight? You even have to flip it once!

The nerve of you people. My personal chef doesn't have time to waste on things like this.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
Mine is thawing in the fridge, we're going to use a camping cooler as well to brine it. We got enough for 5 gallons of brine but it's a 15lb bird so I'm guessing we won't need that much. I also want to learn how to brine and make my own corned beef, so this is my first step in that direction. Yeah, we spent way too much on turkey day as well but my wife and I are ok with indulging in food and sacrificing everything else. It's still a lot cheaper than eating out and we'll have lunch into next week.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
That's nothing check this out http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/willie-bird-fresh-free-range-turkey/

My mother-in-law buys one every year!

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
that makes perfect sense, after all "no standing in line required!"

noob515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
That's nothing check this out http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/willie-bird-fresh-free-range-turkey/

Woah!   

Honestly, I'm all for trying to avoid preservatives and growth hormones in my food when possible, but is all that free-range business really worth $90?  ($75 for the 12-14lb bird, plus shipping). God forbid you need a bigger bird, you could spend up to $200 for the turkey alone.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
I use Alton Brown's brine method every time we do a turkey, works very well!  It's fine to modify as you wish, the basics of salt, sugar, etc, matter the most, all the assorted spices and herbs, don't matter as much but do help if you can include as many as you have lying around.

I can't imagine paying double for it, but I know people who would...

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »

Holy cow! And I just picked up 'all natural free-range' (not officially organic, but still) turkey for $1.49/lb (at Sprouts, for those near one of those). So far I've only tasted typical supermarket ones, so can't wait to see if I can tell the difference (the BF insists I should be able to).

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
Free range birds do taste noticeably better. Maybe not turkey because I think it's really bland, but free range duck and chicken (especially chicken) is so much better than the store crap.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »
Free range birds do taste noticeably better. Maybe not turkey because I think it's really bland, but free range duck and chicken (especially chicken) is so much better than the store crap.

Most of us will be drowning it in gravy made from chicken stock making the taste irrelevant.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »

Well, yeah, that's a lot of money for a turkey.  But really, once you buy a regular frozen turkey, spend over $60 for oil, and then more money on some kind of injectable, then you'll have spent more money that this person who bought a Williams-Sonoma bird:

Will never buy a different bird
September 8, 2012A co-worker criticised me for spending "so much money" on this turkey when she went to the big box store and paid a lot less for hers. But after she spent money on the frozen turkey, paid over sixty dollars for oil, and then more money on some type of injectable she had spent more for her main dish then me! My bird roasted perfectly while I read a good book on the beach! This year I will be back on the beach while my Willie Bird roasts. This is an excellent product.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
Don't you know how time consuming it is to cover a turkey with salt water and let it sit in the fridge overnight? You even have to flip it once!

The nerve of you people. My personal chef doesn't have time to waste on things like this.
Maybe your personal chef would be interested in the Williams-Sonoma turkey?

JulieB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
May I suggest this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2235696/Avoid-slaving-hot-stove-new-Christmas-Dinner--cooks-itself.html

No more "stressful hours peeling potatoes"with this selk-cooking can. I really don't get it: is it really a torture to cook a meal for family and friends? I'm baffled.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »
fed only the best natural grains and vegetable proteins

Yeah, like "vegetarian fed" chickens and eggs?

I don't get it. Turkeys and Chickens are NOT vegetarian by nature. Turkeys CAN and WILL eat PLENTY of insects given the opportunity. I've watched chickens peck at a dead pigeon they found.

But, I guess it sells!

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Here's the full Good Eats episode if anyone is interested although your bird should be thawed today and you should be brining over night or early in the morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEi_q4U5c3Q

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
Here's the full Good Eats episode if anyone is interested although your bird should be thawed today and you should be brining over night or early in the morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEi_q4U5c3Q
Oh no, I'm pretty sure we're all running out to get the Christmas Dinner HotCan.  In fact, it's not even Thanksgiving here, and I'm a vegetarian, but I still want one!  wink