Author Topic: Prada nylon handbag  (Read 7974 times)

Boganvillia

• Stubble
Prada nylon handbag
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »
My mum has flown overseas to come and help us out.

She was excited to show me the bag which her sister-in-law - a very kind lady, I love her to bits - had kindly lent her for the trip.

It's a largeish black nylon handbag with a wide fabric adjustable shoulder strap and a couple of outer pockets. Practical for travel. It has the word 'Prada' appearing on a logo on the side.

'I hope that one's a knock-off!' was my first wry comment.

'It's real', said Mum. 'I ran into a friend from a tour group with the same one. She bought it from Milan and said it had cost her $800.'

'More money than sense!' was my response.

Sometimes, do you get the feeling that you are supposed to have been impressed?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Prada nylon handbag
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:06:42 PM »
I work with several women that have scads of the knockoff bags and act like it's some sort of deal when they buy that trash for hundreds of dollars, only to have them fall apart within a year. Even if it is an actual name brand and not a knockoff, you're still paying hundreds/thousands of dollars for the name. So it is pretty much showing off - either pretending you have or actually having (sort of, if you're going into debt) lots of money to blow on stupid things like designer bags and shoes.

The only reason to buy that crap - real or knockoff - is to show off to others. So yeah, you're supposed to be impressed. I do hope you said the "more money than sense" line out loud. I say it quite often myself. :)

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »
To each their own.  I certainly will never understand why that kind of spending on a handbag/purse is important to some people, but apparently it is.  You could buy a shitpile of purses/handbags  that would fall apart before you'd reach the price of that one bag.

I just replaced my one and only purse that I've been using over the last 15 years.   The replacement cost me $50.  I'm hoping it will last 15 years too!!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
It's a largeish black nylon handbag with a wide fabric adjustable shoulder strap and a couple of outer pockets. Practical for travel. It has the word 'Prada' appearing on a logo on the side.

Err...  Sorta like the two or three I have to carry laptop computers in?  'Cept I think mine say 'Dell' and 'IBM'.  And cost a lot less.  Unless you included the laptop, and these days maybe not even then :-)

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:27:35 AM »
I do hope you said the "more money than sense" line out loud. I say it quite often myself. :)

Oh yes, well and truly aloud! Stop the rot, I say :)

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 12:34:05 AM »
I just replaced my one and only purse that I've been using over the last 15 years.   The replacement cost me $50.  I'm hoping it will last 15 years too!!

I was thrilled to find a vinyl caramel Kmart handbag for $40 in aesthetically pleasing proportions with a long shoulder strap as well as short straps, which is smart enough for work, capacious enough to carry A4 documents and my lunch (of course - and with a washable liner for the odd occasion that the packed lunch leaks).

Even this handbag was actually reasonably difficult to come by and took me aaaaages to find.

(Did not really intend to write an ode to my Kmart handbag.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:05:28 AM by Boganvillia »

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:58:14 AM »

[/quote]
Err...  Sorta like the two or three I have to carry laptop computers in?  'Cept I think mine say 'Dell' and 'IBM'.  And cost a lot less.  Unless you included the laptop, and these days maybe not even then :-)
[/quote]

Yep.

Though yours sounds like it is a lot better reinforced.

greentea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 01:40:30 AM »
While I was at the hairdresser a few years ago, I read an article written by a luxury designer handbag junkie in the local women's magazine.

Every year or so, amongst the throng of luxury designer bags, an "IT" bag emerges.  Once you are seen with the "IT" bag, regardless of whatever cheap clothes and shoes you might wear, people will seek fashion advise from you and what your thoughts are on the latest fashion trend. Ownership of "IT" bag makes you a fashionista. Suddenly you have have style, fashion sense, status and people look up to you. All this can be had for about US$1500-2000 or so.

Sorry about the sarcasm. I just cannot wrap my head around this.

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
While I was at the hairdresser a few years ago, I read an article written by a luxury designer handbag junkie in the local women's magazine.

Every year or so, amongst the throng of luxury designer bags, an "IT" bag emerges.  Once you are seen with the "IT" bag, regardless of whatever cheap clothes and shoes you might wear, people will seek fashion advise from you and what your thoughts are on the latest fashion trend. Ownership of "IT" bag makes you a fashionista. Suddenly you have have style, fashion sense, status and people look up to you. All this can be had for about US$1500-2000 or so.

Sorry about the sarcasm. I just cannot wrap my head around this.

Oh, just what I want.  LOL

halfmutt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »
One of my relatives gave me a used black leather Prada bag recently WITH the price tag!  I hope she doesn't mind but I'm polishing the leather and selling the thing on eBay.  I hope it will generate enough to buy me a nice, easy to ride BIKE.  :-)

I just love these designer handbags.  Don't you?

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »
I hope it will generate enough to buy me a nice, easy to ride BIKE.  :-)

Fantastic! Here's hoping you will generate not only enough for a bike, but some panniers. Now we're talking about good bags.

I wonder though whether there's a generational thing going on here, too, for both of us - my mum and her sister-in-law are prime time Baby Boomers, so for them, these status purchases aren't the nonsense they are for me. 

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 11:18:30 AM »
I had been planning on heading to Las Vegas in February anyway, and if I went on a specific weekend I qualified to get a D&B handbag free.  I don't carry a hand bag/purse, I carry a backpack.  However since it, as well as the accomodations, were free I keyed in on that weekend.  I had to order it, as it turned out.  When it arrived I was surprised that it is tiny.  It is real leather, though.  As I took it out of the box my thought was 'I bet they get $50 for this thing in the D&G store'.  It had a retail tag on it, and when I checked it, the retail was $98!  It is a nice bag for the few times I need to dress up from my usual aging hippie look, I guess.  It did occurr to me to sell it on EBay, but I decided to keep it for myself because I don't have a girly handbag and there are times it would be nice to have one.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »
I'm SO not a fashion plate.  I bought an REI daypack/purse-thing about 7 years ago, spent about $60 on it and it will probably last me at least 7 more years.  It's Seattle-weather-resistant, has all the right pockets and I love it. It's similar to this:

http://www.rei.com/product/866816/sherpani-access-le-daypack-womens

I paid full price and got the REI member dividends in return, and with their lifetime guarantee, if it ever fails I can return it.  (Not that I would... that sort of sucks, to wear something out and then return it -- but I could, if it was a matter of the bag failing in some way.)

My bag rocks.  Screw Prada.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
\It is a nice bag for the few times I need to dress up from my usual aging hippie look, I guess.  It did occurr to me to sell it on EBay, but I decided to keep it for myself because I don't have a girly handbag and there are times it would be nice to have one.

This made me laugh. I have the aging hippie look going on too.  ;-)

I finally bought a girlie handbag for a froufrou dress-up work party... from Goodwill.  Awesome that you got a fancy freebie!

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »
\It is a nice bag for the few times I need to dress up from my usual aging hippie look, I guess.  It did occurr to me to sell it on EBay, but I decided to keep it for myself because I don't have a girly handbag and there are times it would be nice to have one.

This made me laugh. I have the aging hippie look going on too.  ;-)

I finally bought a girlie handbag for a froufrou dress-up work party... from Goodwill.  Awesome that you got a fancy freebie!

This reminds me that the local Goodwill's will have auctions on Saturday mornings for the "good stuff" - lots of designer bags in those auctions.  I heard that some people will rush from one Goodwill to the next on Saturday mornings to try and score deals on this stuff.

I'll admit I used to buy the fake ones, but I never spent more than $40 on one.  I wore them to the bone!  My favorite one was a black leather Gucci, which was really well made for a fake.  The leather felt real, and I wore that thing for years!  One day, the screw off the hardware fell out, so the handle was detached from the bag.  I was devastated, it was such a good bag and the screw was so unique!  Hubby thought I was nuts, but I went to Home Depot and bought two silver carabiner clips, and made that bag last another few years before the leather wore out.

These days I buy a Tommy Hilfiger bag on clearance at Ross for $15, and it lasts me a couple of years - daily use.  Works for me.  :)

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »
Forgot to mention that my unemployed sister who is horrible w/money and lives off my Mom, she has a collection of the real thing.  Coach was big, then it was Dooney & Bourke, and now it's all about Michael Kors.  Every few months she gets a new bag, and sells the old one on Ebay for 1/4 - 1/2 of what she paid.  Makes me sick!

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
My grandmother-in-law is pretty well off and buys a designer purse occasionally. So a few years back she bought a Coach purse, and it came with a Coach coin pouch which she gave to me wife. We use it to store our laundry quarters. I must say, it makes me feel pretty high class whenever I'm at the coin operated washers :-P.