Author Topic: Popcorn Bowl for $75  (Read 7247 times)

Edward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Popcorn Bowl for $75
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »
A special bowl, just for eating popcorn? That will be $75

http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/the-popcorn-bowl-with-kernel-sifter

campath

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Popcorn Bowl for $75
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
The fact that 11 people rated it 4.7 is even more sad.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
I thought this was going to be a complaint about movie theater popcorn prices... can we whine about that, too?

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
I thought this was going to be a complaint about movie theater popcorn prices... can we whine about that, too?

Indeed, I'd rather have movie theater tickets be $25 each with large popcorn and soda included then have to pay for tickets and popcorn/soda separately.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 01:20:54 PM »
My Dad (the most mustachian person I know, second most being my Mom) made a bowl like this when I was a kid, with a big bowl from the dollar store and a 1/4" drill bit.  His didn't have the fancy little ash tray for the kernels; I don't remember if his bowl sat in a larger one or what.

Now he's retired early I should tell him to start selling 'em.  Huge profits!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Maybe I'm an outcast, but I like the kernels at the bottom, especially if they've been cracked just a little bit. Sometimes when the bowl is half full I dig down to get those ones specifically.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
That whole site is something else.  A paperweight for $129?!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
I think the stuff on that site's supposed to be "arty." 

But now I want popcorn.  :\

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
I want one SOOO bad!

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
Where's the inevitable person who always shows up in the Antimustchian Wall to defend the ridiculous and shame us for shaming it?  There's gotta be at least one?  No takers on the $75 popcorn bowl?  Bueller...  Bueller?

As a sidenote, look at this piece of awesomeness I found on my local Kijiji yesterday.  Dude only wants $100!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/north-bay/elephant/1060713824?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'm thinking of picking it up.   Well, it's between that or burning my money in an open pit.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 02:58:24 PM »
A lot of stuff people post - bike wheels for eight grand, $500 cheeseburgers - are halo products, not intended to be bought, marketed for advertising purposes, and people posting about them just give them free publicity.

$75 popcorn bowls are stupid shit I totally believe people will buy. No defenses from me.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »
The fact that 11 people rated it 4.7 is even more sad.

According to the comments, it's a good gift an "avid popcorn eater." If only I had such an a hobbyist in my life...

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »
Maybe I'm an outcast, but I like the kernels at the bottom, especially if they've been cracked just a little bit. Sometimes when the bowl is half full I dig down to get those ones specifically.
Oh no, I'm right there with you. I never let any kernels go to waste.

Damn, now I'm really in a popcorn mood...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 06:43:59 PM »
Alternate thread title: After reading this, you will crave popcorn.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »
Just think how much popcorn you'd have to eat if you spent the $75 on kernels and used a regular bowl!  For just $10 more, you can get 50 Pounds of popcorn on Amazon.  That would fill that $75 bowl approximately 12,836 times.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 04:58:36 AM »
Where's the inevitable person who always shows up in the Antimustchian Wall to defend the ridiculous and shame us for shaming it?  There's gotta be at least one?  No takers on the $75 popcorn bowl?  Bueller...  Bueller?

Bueller.... Bueller? Anybody.... Anybody?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 06:25:47 AM »
Just think how much popcorn you'd have to eat if you spent the $75 on kernels and used a regular bowl!  For just $10 more, you can get 50 Pounds of popcorn on Amazon.  That would fill that $75 bowl approximately 12,836 times.

This is how math class should be taught.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 06:38:15 AM »

According to the comments, it's a good gift an "avid popcorn eater." If only I had such an a hobbyist in my life...

I'm a pretty avid popcorn eater. But I've really never had a problem with kernels collecting in a regular bowl

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 06:39:37 AM »

I am usually that guy as I feel expensive indulgences can sometimes be utterly reasonable if the buyer will use it and enjoy it quite a lot and feel like they got something of value for their money.

But who on earth eats this much popcorn and even if someone does, surely they have long since solved the "problem" of the few unpopped kernels.  I would think someone who loves popcorn this much is such an expert preparer they likely have very few kernels left unpopped, and likely serves it in the way that they like best anyhow which probably involves a transfer from the cooking vessel to the serving vessel, thereby building in a chance to rid themselves of such a byproduct anyway...

Also, Popcorn Fork.  Solves the same problem much cheaper...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 07:35:03 AM »

I'll bite (pun intended). What is a popcorn fork?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 07:47:53 AM »
I know three people who have cracked their teeth on popcorn kernels, all eating microwave popcorn from a bag.  One guy required a root canal and a crown.  The bowl is pricey, but much cheaper (and less painful) than a dentist.    There are $14 bowls with kernel catchers on Amazon.

Or realize it's a risk and grab individual kernels, rather than shoveling handfuls, lol.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 09:07:08 AM »

I'll bite (pun intended). What is a popcorn fork?

http://www.gadgetgrid.com/2007/10/30/popcorn-fork/

I have seen them for around $1.

Louis the Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 11:38:27 AM »
I know three people who have cracked their teeth on popcorn kernels, all eating microwave popcorn from a bag.  One guy required a root canal and a crown.  The bowl is pricey, but much cheaper (and less painful) than a dentist.    There are $14 bowls with kernel catchers on Amazon.

I'm one of these...complete with root canal and crown. I just eat popcorn more carefully...

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

I've met zero.  I'll take my chances on the popcorn, I think.  I know more people who've cracked their teeth riding bikes.  $75 mouthguard anyone?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!