Author Topic: Politico Article: What they Owe  (Read 3453 times)

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
Politico Article: What they Owe
« on: April 01, 2018, 07:43:22 AM »
I don't want to shame people but this is definitely anti-mustachian. Hopefully these individuals can find some financial help. It is definitely interesting, I thought, anyway.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/gallery/2018/03/06/american-personal-debt-photos-000774?slide=10

ambimammular

• Bristles
Re: Politico Article: What they Owe
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:59:40 AM »
Some of those people have a long way to go. I don't get the impression that they have hope, or a game plan. Gawd, financial education is so crucial, and it's just not out there!

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
#2 : 100k in student loans. Occupation: artist

If you bother going to college and taking on the debt you must get a degree in something useful and in demand.

ePalmtrees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
I do feel bad for these people, but so many of them want to blame anyone else but themselves. I've had student loan debt in the past. I didn't blame anyone else. Sometimes you are young and stupid and you make dumb choices and don't think ahead. That doesn't mean it's not your fault.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 03:33:27 PM »
All of those people seem to have a lot of crap around. They're still buying magazine, CDs, whatever other garbage they're surrounded with. Or they have nothing but bare floor and a brand new looking couch! I'm guessing that student loans are not the only problem for some of these folk. And almost all of them have made it into some sort of political situation. Won't they still owe money regardless of who's in power??

I feel for the guy with Parkinsons. Not so much for the others.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »
One guy in there who said Trump will make it easier for entrepreneurs but nothing has happened. I guess it is because entrepreneurs are supposed to make things happen for themselves???

$74,000 is a crazy amount of student loans for a teacher. Surely it doesn't cost that much in this day and age to train a teacher (or almost any other profession)?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:50:19 PM »
I found it interesting that the only one who didn't seem to be blaming anyone else was the person with Parkinson's disease -- the only blameless one in the bunch.

That says a lot.

A whole lot of passive response, blaming others for decisions they freely made, etc.

I liked the "but I didn't know how credit cards worked..." excuse.    That's simply too ludicrous to accept.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
"The reason why we elected Trump as a country is because politicians were not serving us.”

What???

“I had over $3 million in debt in construction projects, and I filed Chapter 7 in early 2009 … The affordable loan modification process allowed people like me to hold on to these properties and restructure the debt. That went away almost immediately during the Trump administration.”

whoooooa.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »
I found it interesting that the only one who didn't seem to be blaming anyone else was the person with Parkinson's disease -- the only blameless one in the bunch.

I've seen a lot of these type pieces where they profile people in debt or whatever financial trouble (often times medical or student loan debt), and basically 100% of the time, the present it as if they are trying to provoke sympathy, but then when you see the actual profiles, you wonder whether they're trying to do the opposite.

I do feel for people that signed up for student loan debt when they were 18 (or even 22) because they were brainwashed into believing it was "good debt" and basically heard nothing about how to judge whether it was an ok investment.  And I think anybody lending $100k to somebody to get a degree for teaching or whatever art or studies degree deserves to lose that money.  I would feel a lot mroe sympathy though if they were complaining about being misled and taught poorly and criticizing the fact that they weren't provided financial education or literary by anybody in their life rather and advocating that current young people not be so poorly served rather than whining about when somebody else is going to fix the mess they've gotten themselves in.