Author Topic: Pinterest-Worthy decorated home for Christmas  (Read 5321 times)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Pinterest-Worthy decorated home for Christmas
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
I saw a better homes & garden magazine today said make your home Pinterest-worthy for Christmas.

I'm just not interested in decorating much. Takes too much time, wasteful, costs money and all has to be taken down after the holiday.

http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/decorating-ideas/advice/g1247/holiday-decorating-1208/?slide=8

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Pinterest-Worthy decorated home for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 06:20:52 PM »
"Wrap your gifts in different but matching patterns of plaid, and display them in a wheelbarrow adjacent to the Christmas tree."

Hahaha - do I bring my garden wheelbarrow inside, or am I supposed to buy a decorative wheelbarrow just to decorate?

I really don't like decorating either, but I am sure my SO will want to put up the small fake tree and gang of santas we were given a few years back :)

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »
I like looking at all that kind of stuff but would never go through the trouble and expense to actually do it. I have a few small christmas decorations that I was fond of as a kid. I got them all from my grandmother after she passed away so I set them out but that's all.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »
"Wrap your gifts in different but matching patterns of plaid, and display them in a wheelbarrow adjacent to the Christmas tree."

Hahaha - do I bring my garden wheelbarrow inside, or am I supposed to buy a decorative wheelbarrow just to decorate?

I really don't like decorating either, but I am sure my SO will want to put up the small fake tree and gang of santas we were given a few years back :)

I'm just wondering what the purpose of a wheelbarrow is. Most people just put their gifts under the tree. And I used whatever leftover paper I can find to wrap presents. Sure, they sell all those fancy plaid wrapping papers at The Container Store (if anyone is interested). Probably cost $10 a roll.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 09:03:37 PM »
Here is a Martha Stewart gingerbread house. It uses three shades and flavors of cookie.

https://www.marthastewart.com/947968/christmas-marthas-house?slide=3409459

And here are festive ornament clusters for your gift wrap.

https://www.marthastewart.com/947968/christmas-marthas-house?slide=3409461

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 09:27:36 PM »
Throw a scarf... on your wall caribou. (Slide 18.)

I can probably manage "display a bowl of red apples" though, if that counts as decorating. I thought it was just a fruit bowl.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:29:19 PM by Tass »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »
Slide 29: Stack tins from largest to smallest, then wrap in a garland made from bakers' twine and candy (here, life savers).

Do you want ants? Because this is how we get ants.

Edit: Also, sacred excrement they are pushing the 'rustic charm' feel.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
I'm just wondering what the purpose of a wheelbarrow is. Most people just put their gifts under the tree. And I used whatever leftover paper I can find to wrap presents. Sure, they sell all those fancy plaid wrapping papers at The Container Store (if anyone is interested). Probably cost $10 a roll.

Because it's whimsy, obviously!

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »

Because it's whimsy, obviously!

I guess I don't get whimsy.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
Tinsel and glitter are not allowed in my home, no exceptions. No lit candles, and I'd prefer not to have the unlit ones either. Anything that's going to get sprinkled around is a no. All decorations need to either be cat-proof, or don't mind if the cat destroys it. Anything with a scent is a no. Anything that's going to attract bugs or other critters, no.

I wonder when it's going to occur to people that the more "pinterest-worthy" your house is, the less likely your home is to be happy and welcoming?

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »
I'm so grateful to know I'm not the only one who sees decorating as a waste of time and resources.  I have a cute light up tree, that comes all decorated.  It's maybe 4' tall.  The goes outside by the front door, and if I feel like it, I have a Santa wreath I'll hang.  The Christmas tree takes up too much room, due to the kitty condo, so I've skipped putting it up for several years now.  But this year, I'm having company the weekend before Christmas, so I bought a mantle scarf that lights up and has snowflakes on it.  That's the extent of my decorating efforts....

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »
I think decorating is great! It's just not about looking pinterest-worthy. When my family decorates, it's an activity we do together with music and popcorn, and we're decorating with stuff the little kids made and trinkets our grandparents passed on to us, etc. It's about nostalgia and goofiness. And it has never before involved a wheelbarrow.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
I think decorating is great! It's just not about looking pinterest-worthy. When my family decorates, it's an activity we do together with music and popcorn, and we're decorating with stuff the little kids made and trinkets our grandparents passed on to us, etc. It's about nostalgia and goofiness. And it has never before involved a wheelbarrow.

+1 to traditions and it being a family event.  Since we live out of state we travel back to DW's parents every Christmas so our own small cache of decorations rarely gets used.  Even if we do decorate, it consists of a couple strands of internal lights, a door wreath, and a couple winter-themed pillows.  At my in-laws there's the plastic tree full of meaningful ornaments and tons of nativity scenes.  I think we counted 6 or 7 in the house last year.  MIL collects them.

Tinsel and glitter are not allowed in my home, no exceptions. No lit candles, and I'd prefer not to have the unlit ones either. Anything that's going to get sprinkled around is a no. All decorations need to either be cat-proof, or don't mind if the cat destroys it. Anything with a scent is a no. Anything that's going to attract bugs or other critters, no.

I wonder when it's going to occur to people that the more "pinterest-worthy" your house is, the less likely your home is to be happy and welcoming?

All of these H&G/Pinterest/Martha Stewart Christmas ideas all scream "I definitely came up with this uncomfortable and unoriginal theme from a book" that nobody is going to enjoy and by the time you're done decorating you're going to hate yourself for devoting so much time to it when you could have been playing with the kids or just watching a movie.

I never understood the fascination with tinsel.  It's messy, a pain in the ass to put up, and it just begs to get stuck in the vacuum cleaner when it's time to take it all down.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »

+1 to traditions and it being a family event.  Since we live out of state we travel back to DW's parents every Christmas so our own small cache of decorations rarely gets used.  Even if we do decorate, it consists of a couple strands of internal lights, a door wreath, and a couple winter-themed pillows.  At my in-laws there's the plastic tree full of meaningful ornaments and tons of nativity scenes.  I think we counted 6 or 7 in the house last year.  MIL collects them.

All of these H&G/Pinterest/Martha Stewart Christmas ideas all scream "I definitely came up with this uncomfortable and unoriginal theme from a book" that nobody is going to enjoy and by the time you're done decorating you're going to hate yourself for devoting so much time to it when you could have been playing with the kids or just watching a movie.

I never understood the fascination with tinsel.  It's messy, a pain in the ass to put up, and it just begs to get stuck in the vacuum cleaner when it's time to take it all down.

Tinsel, if ingested, may also require emergency surgery to remove. Particularly dangerous for animals. Same with the plastic grass in easter baskets.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »

Tinsel is a bit dated, haven't seen it on trees since the 80s. Martha Stewart would scream if she saw that on a Christmas tree.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
Tinsel is a bit dated, haven't seen it on trees since the 80s. Martha Stewart would scream if she saw that on a Christmas tree.

A friend's parents died a few years ago and she had to clean out the house and attic before selling it.  That Christmas, my friend displayed the aluminum Christmas tree complete with color wheel that was in the attic.  More than a bit dated but nice sentiment.   

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
We still had tinsel in our attic. Years ago, when I was a kid, we had a 3 foot tall, artificial tree. And we decorated it with old stuff and tinsel. That was the only thing we had in our house for Christmas.

My aunt spends thousands to decorate her home for Christmas, granted a lot of stuff she got on sale/clearance, but it's way over done. With giant Santa Claus heads everywhere, a 15 foot tall tree, probably created by an interior designer. She also has the entire Dickens Christmas Village on display.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Department-56-Dickens-Village-Collectibles/39583/bn_3049431

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 09:27:49 AM »
Here is a Martha Stewart gingerbread house. It uses three shades and flavors of cookie.

https://www.marthastewart.com/947968/christmas-marthas-house?slide=3409459

"The whimsy and, for a child, the thrill of this woodland theme comes from playing with scale and expectations: What's big is rendered small (the house) but with such an eye to detail that it uses three shades and flavors of cookie, and the roof and chimney have the realistic look of shingles and bricks."

Ah, yes, when I was but a wee lass, the thrill of a gingerbread house was dependent on one thing, and one thing only: realistic shingles! How we used to laugh and sing about the unexpected scale, while prancing joyfully around the bucket of Mandarin oranges.

We in no way based our decisions on how tacky their lawn ornaments were. Oh no, not us.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »

My wheelbarrow has been in use for the past forty or fifty years, and is caked with mud and dirt.  Should I rinse it off before bringing it in, or will that detract from the ambiance?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »

My wheelbarrow has been in use for the past forty or fifty years, and is caked with mud and dirt.  Should I rinse it off before bringing it in, or will that detract from the ambiance?

Bonus points on the ambiance if it has a manure smell to it.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
Bonus points on the ambiance if it has a manure smell to it.

That would make it extra special, like a real country Christmas.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!