Author Topic: Picture Perfect-Hilarious!!  (Read 5031 times)

bacdef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Picture Perfect-Hilarious!!
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:04:02 PM »
Last night I happened to walk past the TV, where the BADW was watching the 90's romcom 'Picture Perfect' on the flix of net.

I was immediately pulled in by the dialogue; Jennifer Anniston being berated by her boss because she has no debt, lives like a college student, and therefore can leave her job whenever she wants. The boss goes on to describe how he can't trust her because she doesn't need the job, therefore he will not promote her despite her stellar performance.

BADW and I watched wide eyed during this discourse, then immediately started laughing. Seriously, I've never heard such a great summary of why one would want to avoid debt and not live like an idiot.

If you want a quick laugh and have netflix, just start the movie at about 16 minutes in. The segment takes just a few minutes. Totally worth it.

BADW said the movie itself was mildly entertaining.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Picture Perfect-Hilarious!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
It's funny, I think about that scene every so often with Kevin Bacon and the luxury car he has and how his boss cosigned for it so he knows he's stuck. I haven't seen that movie in 15+ years, but my memory points to it as iconic antimustachianism.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:11:26 PM »
If you want a quick laugh and have netflix, just start the movie at about 16 minutes in. The segment takes just a few minutes. Totally worth it.

I should have taken your advice and just watched that segment -- I want the last 1 hour 45 minutes of my life back! :-)

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:04:34 AM »
That's great - I have never seen the movie but will have to check it out!

On a different note...what does BADW mean? I've never seen this acronym and a quick google search yielded nothing.

Thanks

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:23 AM »
That's great - I have never seen the movie but will have to check it out!

On a different note...what does BADW mean? I've never seen this acronym and a quick google search yielded nothing.

Thanks

I assume Bad Ass Dear Wife.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 07:23:10 AM »
Got it - I figured that it was somewhat in reference to DW but couldn't connect the dots...thanks

...Now off to brew some coffee and wake up...

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »
I haven't seen that movie - I'll check it out this weekend.  :D

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 11:10:19 PM »
"And if you are hiring someone, you never, ever, want to hire a young man with no debts and a hunting and/or fishing license.  Once deer season starts, you will not see him - for days, perhaps weeks.

No, what you want is the young man with the shiny pickup truck and a 72-month loan, a trailer home with a string of mortgage payments, and hopefully a pregnant wife.  That guy will show up for work, and you can piss all over him."

Robert Platt Bell from Living Stingy

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
BADH's former boss used similar logic with us.  We received an executive level relo package, and he implored us to get the biggest house we could afford, and to include the potential bonus as part of our HHI!  He was actually disappointed to learn we purchased a modest townhouse instead.

Another co-worker took his advice, hook, line & sinker.  We had to drop something off to him one day while he wasn't home, so we headed over to the ritzy golf course community.  It was fairly evident from the driveway that they didn't even have the funds for window coverings, and the rooms we could see from the street were empty.

Hanging on for the 2 years at that horrific company to fulfill the relo agreement was painful, but hubby skated out of there literally 2 weeks after the contract was up.  The other guy is still stuck there (10 years later), is still miserable, and he is still upside down in his mortgage.

Looks like the boss man was brilliant - employee retention is high when you are trapped.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!