Author Topic: People who buy big ticket items at the airport  (Read 8456 times)

Matte

• Stubble
People who buy big ticket items at the airport
« on: October 05, 2014, 07:10:15 AM »
As I am waiting for the plane I am watching people buy 200 dollar beats headphones, apple computers, clothes etc.  I can't think of a place with higher prices on anything but the airport.  I guess people get the urge to spend when bored.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
Re: People who buy big ticket items at the airport
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
I hate paying for a cup of coffee at the airport!  Cannot imagine buying electronics there.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »
'But it's tax free!' (best case 8% off for tax yet it's also marked up to hell so it's still a bad deal).

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
I did notice the Coach purse store while in Miami, I looked at one, it didn't seem any higher price than online, but I didn't look it up to make sure. I always wonder why those kind of places exist in an airport.
I did buy headphones though, $5 ones :)

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
Headed to Vegas next week (using air miles and sharing cost of cheap hotel with 4 people.)

In order to use our free air miles we had to fly out at 6am.  My friend was very concerned because the Starbucks at the airport isn't open early enough.  I offered to bring coffee from my coffee maker from home in containers just to drink in the car on the way.  But apparently that's not good enough. It must be Starbucks.

I can't even fathom buying anything more expensive.  I mean, I already have to get up at 3:30am so yes, buying a pastry and coffee at Starbucks is something I might do because it's a very rare occasion and I will be so tired in the AM.  However, Beats headphones or an apple computer?  No way!

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 05:21:30 AM »
I've always wondered about that.   I guess they're taking advantage of the 'I'm on vacation, I'm going to treat myself' mindset.   

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
ugh, I bought earbuds at the airport once because I was desperate. bad life decision. also bought a pair of those old people compression socks after I flew to NZ for the first time and realized I definitely needed them, and they were SO overpriced.

I too always wonder how those stores selling luggage and stuff even stay in business. why the f would I buy luggage at the airport?!? I obviously already have some and it's checked...

Caella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:02:01 AM »
The only semi-reasonable reason I see to this is if they are foreigns.

A 60 bucks headphone in the US is like $500 in Brazil (yeah, not even kidding), so if someone see it at the airport for $100, they still think it's a great deal.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
A lot of the duty-free purchases are foreign tourists. A $200 Beats headphone may be the worst purchase to a MMM or an audiophile, but it's still cheaper than buying in your homeland or may not even be available.

My cousins in Kenya buy their consumer electronics and alcohol at duty-free shops, and then pay the import duty at the Nairobi airport. It's still cheaper than buying from the electronics stores in the city by at least 20%. Crazy about brand names, they are.

damize

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »
Years ago, while on active duty, a coworker and I travelled from Europe to the US for a training class. Not only did the guy buy a very expensive carry on/laptop bag at the airport, he saw a watch that caught his eye.  On our return trip, he purchased the $3000+ Tag Heuer.  Craziest airport purchase I've ever seen.

Later, he complained that he was having trouble registering the purchase with Tag, as it wasn't at one of their recognized vendors.  Beautiful watch, but I'm pretty sure it tells time just as well as mine.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
Whenever I go to the US on vacation, I always buy as much booze as possible at the duty free. Brand name hard liquors / spirits are much cheaper than in Canada. My usual is a big bottle of Baileys Cream and a 40oz bottle of premium vodka. Not very Mustachian I'll admit but this generally lasts 6 months around my place.

I know a lot of smokers who bring back cigarettes because they are also much cheaper in the US compared to Canada.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
Most of the super expensive items are halo products. They're not meant to be purchased. They're meant to attract a ton of people to see what else they've got at more reasonable prices. That $10k bottle of scotch will eventually get bought by a businessman who just signed a deal that'll put five million in his pocket. Good for him, I don't grudge him the success, though in my humble opinion he'd be better served by a nice Aberlour or Glenmorangie for $100 - it'll taste better.

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
for a US resident there is only one product where airport duty-free makes sense and that product is cigarettes. On my visit to Mexico last month I noticed that a carton of name brand cigarettes was $25 which is less than half the cost in my state. I don't smoke and therefore did not purchase any. In the US, only tobacco products are hit with very large "duty" (pay for future medicare) taxes.

If I wanted to buy local Tequila, it was much cheaper at the neighborhood supermarket than at the airport.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 01:04:29 PM »
I once bought a heavy sweatshirt in the airport due to just not being prepared.  It was like $50.  Wouldn't have bought it, but I was running a fever feeling pretty crappy.  I had to sleep in the airport that night as well waiting for my connecting flight.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
Most of the super expensive items are halo products. They're not meant to be purchased. They're meant to attract a ton of people to see what else they've got at more reasonable prices.

Excellent point!  People who might not otherwise never buy a $100 bottle of Scotch could be easily swayed once they're admired the $5,000 bottle.  I forget which company it was but I think they sold food processors.  Anyway, they couldn't get anyone to buy their $150 model so what did they do?  Not discount it--but introduce an even more expensive model.  Suddenly the $150 one was flying off the shelves.  ....People be dumb.