Author Topic: People don't get it  (Read 18926 times)

tod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tod LLC iPhone & iPad Apps
People don't get it
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »
Sometimes I'm so amused by a product on Amazon that I leave a review saying what I really think. Here's what I wrote for the Bowflex Treadclimber: http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-CR052-TreadClimber-TC20/dp/B006FPRDL8/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

How to save three grand:
1. Find some stairs (perhaps you have some in your house!)
2. Walk up and down them until you're tired
3. Maybe walk some other places too

Well surprise, surprise, only 8 of 26 people found my review helpful. Also, Amazon periodically sends me hostile meta comments that people have written about my comment. The last one consisted of a single word: "Idiot."

My review may have been a bit snarky, but I'm making an actual point, one that seems pretty obvious. I'm just stunned at the level of hostility that has been directed against me (not that I actually care of course). No arguments offered as to why a stair machine is worth $3,000. Just anger.

Have we really become a nation of people who cry when they're told they can't have their toy, or when their toy is rightfully mocked?

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
Re: People don't get it
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »
Well, admittedly what you're doing is a bit troll-ish. When I read a review I tend to prefer reading comments from those who have actually used the product in question. So perhaps that was what annoyed people a bit...

RoseRelish

• Stubble
    • RoseRelish - Slow down and Enjoy Life
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
I agree. If you haven't used the product, don't review it on the website. It might be silly to spend such a sum on something you have in your house already, but that's not a failing of the product. If the product replicates going up/down stairs, then it's a good product. Don't let your personal disdain, no matter how justified, distract from real product reviews.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:09:27 AM »
Sometimes I'm so amused by a product on Amazon that I leave a review saying what I really think. Here's what I wrote for the Bowflex Treadclimber: http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-CR052-TreadClimber-TC20/dp/B006FPRDL8/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

How to save three grand:

Well surprise, surprise, only 8 of 26 people found my review helpful. Also, Amazon periodically sends me hostile meta comments that people have written about my comment. The last one consisted of a single word: "Idiot."

My review may have been a bit snarky, but I'm making an actual point, one that seems pretty obvious. I'm just stunned at the level of hostility that has been directed against me (not that I actually care of course). No arguments offered as to why a stair machine is worth $3,000. Just anger.

Have we really become a nation of people who cry when they're told they can't have their toy, or when their toy is rightfully mocked?

I agree, but it's kind of hard to draw the line here. I mean, a treadmill can be mitigated by:

1. Go outside.
2. Walk and/or run somewhere.

A barbell can be mitigated by:

1. Find an object somewhere.
2. Wave it around until you're sore.

Some people might find that buying a piece of equipment gets them better results than not buying it, simply because they spent the money. It's one of my theories about why Crossfit gyms are so successful for beginners (if I'm spending $200/month on this, I'm fucking going to use it!). Other people have specific goals in mind, like maybe if you were a competitive stair climber? I know that this is the case for people buying C2 Rowers, and I would totally buy one myself before I bought a rowboat.

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
Naw, I think it's reasonable to review products by comparing them to the alternatives.  If someone was selling a coffee cup that cost 10x as much but had some extra features, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to write a review comparing it to a traditional coffee cup and explaining why the features weren't worth the increase in price.

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »
Btw, you should do more product reviews, I'd subscribe if there was an option, seems like fun.  Now I can see the moon even at 9 in the morning

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:48 AM »
By "People don't get it", you're referring to yourself, right? The fact that you're "stunned" indicates that you do a rather poor job of relating to and understanding viewpoints outside of your own. I'm actually surprised that 8 of 26 people *did* answer "yes" to "Was this review helpful to you?" I'm sure most of those people weren't being "hostile" when they clicked "no", because it *is* simply not helpful; you're wasting people's time and devaluing the Amazon review system.

If there was a Mustachian thing I was interested in, like a bike with a new technology like a belt-drive or something, I might go to Amazon looking for useful, informed opinions from people. If a jackass like you posted a review saying that the bike is no good because it doesn't go nearly as fast as his F-150 and can't carry as much cargo, I'd also click that the review wasn't helpful, to keep it from cluttering things up and hiding the actual useful reviews. The F-150 driver who thinks bikes are dumb is no different than you who thinks stair-climbing machines are dumb.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
Well come on now, it's a stair climbing machine.

As if there aren't enough stairs in the world that you need a machine to give you an infinite number of them. It's kind of dumb.

tfordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
I love snark reviews.  I think this is the most expensive watch on amazon and leads to some awesome comments: http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-96-0529-4035-Tourbillon-Titanium-Chronograph/dp/B001K3IXW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1368721385&sr=1-1&keywords=tourbillon

I hope nobody actually buys these sort of things.

tfordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
This is my favorite comment for the ridiculous 82K watch:

I bought a couple of these and smashed them in front of poor people. You know, as a joke. Then I drove away.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »
http://theworstthingsforsale.com/

I really like this website for my consumerist snark fix.

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
Those watch reviews are gold, "With a watch like this you don't need to tell time, you tell people what time it is."

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »
If someone was selling a coffee cup that cost 10x as much but had some extra features, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to write a review comparing it to a traditional coffee cup and explaining why the features weren't worth the increase in price.

It would be reasonable, so long as you bought the cup of coffee and gave it a fair chance.

A product review should be the review of a product (from someone who used it), not the review or in this case bashing of an idea.  While I agree with the review it's probably best to post stuff like that here or on a personal blog.

.22guy

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »
That's a dick move, and you got the same returned to you.  And you are surprised?

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »

Loving this site, I bet he even uses affiliate links.  That's brilliance!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 11:46:06 AM »
As if there aren't enough stairs in the world that you need a machine to give you an infinite number of them. It's kind of dumb.

Well, you might live in a single-story house in Kansas :-)

And why would I climb stairs when I have plenty of perfectly good mountains?

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »
I kind of love snarky comments, may favorites (and you may have already seen these) are the reviews for the Bic Crystal For Her pens.  They're definitely worth a read

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/dp/B004F9QBE6

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
This is my favorite snarky review thread ever. Remember Romney's binders of women?

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Durable-Binder-11-Inch-17032/product-reviews/B001B0CTMU

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 02:21:59 PM »
I kind of love snarky comments, may favorites (and you may have already seen these) are the reviews for the Bic Crystal For Her pens.  They're definitely worth a read

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/dp/B004F9QBE6

I've obviously been living under a rock. I've never come across snarky Amazon reviews before.
Bwahahahaha!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
So I'm going to be a hypocrite and say I find some of those Amazon reviews for the pens and watch and binder to be hilarious! I think it helps that the reviews are over the top parodies. Maybe that's the key - if you're going to put a non-review, then go all out and make it crazy funny.

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »
Meh, the people who comment on the reviews are unnecessarily hateful. I wrote a review about replacing the power cord on a kindle, and amazon's customer service. The vast majority of people were happy to see that amazon replaced the cord for free but charged for shipping. The comments, however, called me all sorts of names for being such a loser or something. Weird.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »
My solution? Do not shop at Amazon.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 01:08:40 PM »
My solution? Do not shop at Amazon.

Do not read comments.

tod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tod LLC iPhone & iPad Apps
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
I wanted people who were thinking about buying this to consider an idea that they may have never had before: You can get exercise for free. As far as being a troll or only reviewing products you own, I'm not personally attacking anybody, and what's wrong with writing what you think about something? I don't have to use one of these machines to understand it. Electric stairs. $3000. Got it. It's not like I'm reviewing a book I never read.

It's all very amusing to me. I think it's HILARIOUS that you can buy such things and they cost so much money! Why is it a "dick move" to post such a review? Should we only ever say completely positive happy things? I don't make a habit of this. I don't browse around trying to anger people. I saw a bizarre product and said what was on my mind without attacking anybody or using invective; I just pointed out facts. It's interesting that so many people who probably agree in principle with the reasons I wouldn't buy one, think my review was nasty/mean/dickish.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:34:04 PM by tod »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »
Whenever I see anyone talk about "amazon" and "review" I immediately think of Veet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

A word of warning, you may die of laughter.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »
Whenever I see anyone talk about "amazon" and "review" I immediately think of Veet.

That is amazeballs.

NWstubble

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 12:55:57 AM »

After the week I just had I needed a laugh like that. You weren't kidding either, my wife was wondering if I was ever going to breathe again; I just couldn't stop laughing!

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
This very amusing thread reminded me of....

http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
Hey all--

For anyone who wants to exercise and wants a free plan, might I recommend the 100 pushups app and the 200 situps app. I found out about them here on MMM, and I am SO HAPPY. I feel fantastic, and I'm only in week two.

http://www.hundredpushups.com

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
Hey all--

For anyone who wants to exercise and wants a free plan, might I recommend the 100 pushups app and the 200 situps app. I found out about them here on MMM, and I am SO HAPPY. I feel fantastic, and I'm only in week two.

http://www.hundredpushups.com

We've got a thread for that kind of stuff, brother. The Fitness Thread.

Starstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »
Meh, the people who comment on the reviews are unnecessarily hateful. I wrote a review about replacing the power cord on a kindle, and amazon's customer service. The vast majority of people were happy to see that amazon replaced the cord for free but charged for shipping. The comments, however, called me all sorts of names for being such a loser or something. Weird.

Totally. I reviewed a camera I bought saying that it was a little over-complicated, and I got such nasty comments calling me stupid that I deleted my review.

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »

This is legitimately one of the best things I've ever seen.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 05:42:09 AM »

How to save three grand:

I loved your comment so much I clicked the "helpful" button!

Call 'em like they are!!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 05:56:28 AM »
I wanted people who were thinking about buying this to consider an idea that they may have never had before: You can get exercise for free. As far as being a troll or only reviewing products you own, I'm not personally attacking anybody, and what's wrong with writing what you think about something? I don't have to use one of these machines to understand it. Electric stairs. $3000. Got it. It's not like I'm reviewing a book I never read.

It's all very amusing to me. I think it's HILARIOUS that you can buy such things and they cost so much money! Why is it a "dick move" to post such a review? Should we only ever say completely positive happy things? I don't make a habit of this. I don't browse around trying to anger people. I saw a bizarre product and said what was on my mind without attacking anybody or using invective; I just pointed out facts. It's interesting that so many people who probably agree in principle with the reasons I wouldn't buy one, think my review was nasty/mean/dickish.

Hey, you were honest and maybe gave someone a facepunch!  Doesn't that happen all over this forum, and especially in the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" area?!  How many times do you see this type of exercise equipment for sale on Craigslist for a small fraction of original price or just sitting on the side of the road waiting for trash day?

Not a bad idea to get out and walk/climb stairs or mountains.  Might meet some neighbors.  Might reduce the 4 hours of TV per day down to three.  Might reduce the chances for adult (or sadly, kids) onset diabetes.  Might...insert your own here etc.

How about all of the people I read here bashing people who drive big SUVs or buy expensive purses, etc.  Do you have one/did you have one and now are able to comment?  Do you have to own something to comment?

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 06:13:24 AM »
How about all of the people I read here bashing people who drive big SUVs or buy expensive purses, etc.  Do you have one/did you have one and now are able to comment?  Do you have to own something to comment?

No, you don't have to own something to comment on it. But generally, you have to own/experience something to REVIEW it. There's the difference. Imagine if you go to Urbanspoon/Yelp etc to check out reviews for restaurants, and instead of helpful reviews on whether the food/service is good, and what dishes are recommended, all you see is a bunch of holier-than-thou "I've never eaten here, but I'll sanctimoniously tell you all to just eat at home and save your money". That would be the equivalent of what we're talking about. On the other hand, if you can make your non-review hilariously entertaining instead of preachy... then I might be happy to overlook that. ;) Some of the links people have posted here are awesome. Even so, everything in moderation. If everyone did it everywhere it'd lose the novelty, and become less funny and more annoying.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »

Really didn't believe you - until I read some of those.  Now my eyes are watering so bad I can hardly type!

bayescraft

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »
Well come on now, it's a stair climbing machine.

This. :) Keep it up, brave reviewer.

That is all.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
Oh my, really wish I hadn't read the veet reviews while recovering from dental surgery. Ouch! But so funny.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
Try reading the reviews for the Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer. Hilarious!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »
Try reading the reviews for the Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer. Hilarious!

4,156 reviews of the 571!  I read a few and they are very creative.  I like the one saying it was made for a banana that was bent the other way and they could not use it.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »

Really didn't believe you - until I read some of those.  Now my eyes are watering so bad I can hardly type!

http://www.amazon.com/Cloverdale-Fresh-Whole-Rabbit/product-reviews/B00012182G/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0

I bought this for my kids since they wanted a bunny for Easter. I remember getting a bunny when I was their age. So I typed "Rabbit" into the search function here on Amazon and ordered this and opted for the optional gift wrapping. Imagine the look on the faces of little Jimmy and Suzie when they opened this up on Easter morning. They cried the whole day and it really made the Easter Egg hunt a downer. If you buy this product please understand that it is dead. It may have been alive when it was first packed but the box didn't have any holes in it.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »

Loving this site, I bet he even uses affiliate links.  That's brilliance!

Genius - I want to rip off the idea! Unfortunately, I can't have an Amazon affiliate account in CO, and it's probably not worth starting an LLC in Wyoming :-/