Author Topic: People buy into this????  (Read 24516 times)

mensa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
People buy into this????
« on: March 29, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »
http://www.shopmaclarenbaby.com/BMW-Buggy/MV000031,default,pd.html

I'm not a parent, so I had to check to see what a "normal" stroller might cost.  They apparently start around $20 and go up from there. The BMW stroller? $385. But it's got insignia!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: People buy into this????
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
Some people buy into the idea that you have to spend money on your infant to be a good parent.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:44:55 PM »
$385 dollar stroller and it doesnt even come with seat warmers and spinners on the wheels? Must be the base model.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
Most of their stuff is in this range and I see people with them all the time and am amazed that they'd saddle themselves with such bulky contraptions.  I guess the idea is the strollers are sturdy enough to hold your bags and groceries and stuff.  But at most subway stations and for all buses you have to collapse the stroller and then carry your shit.  They seem very convenient to collapse and people do it with one hand and I'm sure that's touted as another selling point.  But why not just get a lighter, smaller stroller in the first place??  Of course I also don't get those small carry-on-sized suitcases with wheels.  Surely the extra weight of the wheels and general awkwardness when you do have to pick the bag up cancels out any 'convenience' you're getting.  </curmudgeon>

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »
I'm skeptical if I even need a stroller when I have kids, as long as I only have one that can't walk far at a time. I hope to be strong enough to carry my kid everywhere, and if I do it regularly I'll get stronger as he/she gets bigger. Then eventually they'll be able to walk far enough and I don't have to do it anymore, and they won't get to whine as much about walking because the only other option is for me to carry them. I sometimes see kids in strollers who look way too old.

At least that's my macho fantasy, we'll see if it plays out. But it sure would simplify things to not have to carry a giant stroller around everywhere.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
I suppose it depends on your lifestyle.  It would be pretty absurd in the city to try to live without a stroller, since you generally walk everywhere including when you go shopping.  I suppose when they're tiny you could put them in a sling or something but they outgrow those at some point.  Plus its convenient to hang some bags off the handles on your way back form the store.  (all-in-all, a pretty mustachian mode of transportation/cargo transport).

In suburbia I could see going without a stroller.

Personally I think the general size of that Maclaren stroller works well in an urban environment (we had a slightly smaller model from a different company, ~$100).  Of course there's no need to pay those prices and the logo is laughably cheesey. 

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
I'm willing to bet the quality of a $20 stroller is probably comparable to the quality of a $75 bike, which is to say, it probably lasts about a week in actual use. If you have a kid and live somewhere you walk a lot, a decent-quality stroller is probably worth it (and, like a bike, likely best bought used, especially because people grow out of strollers). Folks take their kids on stroller strolls rather than car rides to get them to fall asleep in the city.

And a stroller with a BMW logo on it is stupid, but if I ran the stroller company, I wouldn't mind free money from idiots.

Helsinki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »
I've got a Land Rover Stroller. It has an inbuilt stereo, a pump and is really well built. It cost me $10 at a garage sale, and is in as good a condition as the day it was made

Dennis.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
I'm skeptical if I even need a stroller when I have kids, as long as I only have one that can't walk far at a time. I hope to be strong enough to carry my kid everywhere, and if I do it regularly I'll get stronger as he/she gets bigger. Then eventually they'll be able to walk far enough and I don't have to do it anymore, and they won't get to whine as much about walking because the only other option is for me to carry them. I sometimes see kids in strollers who look way too old.

At least that's my macho fantasy, we'll see if it plays out. But it sure would simplify things to not have to carry a giant stroller around everywhere.

You go ahead and keep thinking that... then come talk to me when your 3 year old kid who weighs 30 pounds gets tired and you have to carry her around for half a day, so I can laugh :)

I'm a fairly strong guy, but seriously, carrying that much extra weight around on one side of your body for an extended period of time works horrible mischief on your back.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
I'm willing to bet the quality of a $20 stroller is probably comparable to the quality of a $75 bike, which is to say, it probably lasts about a week in actual use.

Our 40 dollar stroller last the whole time our son was 'stroller aged,' and as far as I know it's probably still providing good use to whoever bought it at Goodwill. But then, my 85 dollar bike lasted me 10 years, and as far as I know it's probably still providing good use to whoever stole it. I don't know if that means I'm lucky, or if 15-20 dollars makes that much of a difference.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »

You go ahead and keep thinking that... then come talk to me when your 3 year old kid who weighs 30 pounds gets tired and you have to carry her around for half a day, so I can laugh :)

I'm a fairly strong guy, but seriously, carrying that much extra weight around on one side of your body for an extended period of time works horrible mischief on your back.

Haven't you heard of Milo!? :) 

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »
I've got a Land Rover Stroller. It has an inbuilt stereo, a pump and is really well built. It cost me $10 at a garage sale, and is in as good a condition as the day it was made

I'm not sure why I'm surprised this exists. Sweet deal, though. :)

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »
"stylish mobility"

I love it.  A term that really means, ostentatious behavior is an expensive disorder.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
I will say about the strollers that they say they fit from infant to the end of stroller age (whenever that is) so if the other option is to buy a new stroller for each size it might be a savings?

Fixer, I fully approve of macho fantasies but you may not have considered what happens when your kid, who is old enough to walk, falls asleep.  And sleeps like the dead.  And is like carrying 50 pounds of wet sand in a slippery bag meanwhile no one on the subway will give you a seat because you are a man.  Which is what I saw some poor guy going through once.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »
Newbie parents say such cute things... before reality smacks them in the face like a wet bag of Sakrete.

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »
I had a guy gloat that his  15 mo. old watched Disney movies on his Kindle.  I didn't know what to be more " blown away" about:  the Kindle owned by a baby or a baby watching tv!!!!!!!!!!

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »
The BMW stroller is nice, but... Here is a stroller for parents who really love their children:
http://shop.bugaboo.com/INTERSHOP/web/WFS/Bugaboo-Bugaboo_US-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=231110VR02

I must admit, we once had a $175 MacLaren Triumph stroller - long story. It was superlight weight and durable, and we took it to Africa and Asia, before realizing that in most of Africa and Asia, the sidewalks are either so rough or so filled with vendors that strollers are useless. At least we got over $100 reselling on craigslist after 3 years.

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »

I wore my second son in a sling until he was about 2, and wore him for long walks (1-2 miles) as well as for errands, housework, etc. I now have chronic back and shoulder problems (NOT from misuse of the sling -- just the sheer weight of him, or from a mis-step while carrying him) and have spent far more on PT/massage/yoga/pain relief than I would have on a stroller. And we DID have a stroller that I used for more than 2 miles.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »

I wore my second son in a sling until he was about 2, and wore him for long walks (1-2 miles) as well as for errands, housework, etc. I now have chronic back and shoulder problems (NOT from misuse of the sling -- just the sheer weight of him, or from a mis-step while carrying him) and have spent far more on PT/massage/yoga/pain relief than I would have on a stroller. And we DID have a stroller that I used for more than 2 miles.

We're in a similar situation, my wife has had recurring shoulder pain the last year or so, and I think it's because we forewent the stroller too soon and compensated by just picking him up onto our hips when he got tired or difficult. Some of my back pain may come from that as well, but it's hard to tell since I've had back pain for over 10 years. If there's a next time, the kids gonna stay in the stroller until s/he can walk without needing assistance.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure we've debunked that story about the farmer who carried the cow on his shoulders without difficulty.

mm31

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 12:25:29 AM »
I'm willing to bet the quality of a $20 stroller is probably comparable to the quality of a $75 bike, which is to say, it probably lasts about a week in actual use.

Our 40 dollar stroller last the whole time our son was 'stroller aged,' and as far as I know it's probably still providing good use to whoever bought it at Goodwill. But then, my 85 dollar bike lasted me 10 years, and as far as I know it's probably still providing good use to whoever stole it. I don't know if that means I'm lucky, or if 15-20 dollars makes that much of a difference.

I still have my $75 bicycle that I bought 3 years ago. It's running fine and drives the bike snobs I know crazy. Strollers and bicycles have at least one thing in common: they are seriously over-priced.

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »

We're in a similar situation, my wife has had recurring shoulder pain the last year or so, and I think it's because we forewent the stroller too soon and compensated by just picking him up onto our hips when he got tired or difficult. Some of my back pain may come from that as well, but it's hard to tell since I've had back pain for over 10 years. If there's a next time, the kids gonna stay in the stroller until s/he can walk without needing assistance.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure we've debunked that story about the farmer who carried the cow on his shoulders without difficulty.

Yes -- and with all my kids, by 2 they were walking reasonable distances (.5-1 miles for longer walks). By 4 they could walk 2 miles without whining, so we didn't carrying them non-stop.

I think that if you have a body that can handle it and adjust as the child gets bigger, go for carrying, but keep in mind that one mis-step can undermine everything (hip alignment problem for me). Also, if my son had been my first, I wouldn't have had my 3.5 yo pulling on my arm half the time, needing me to bend down while holding a child of 8-25 lbs on my hip/chest, etc. -- so that plays in.

mensa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 05:21:34 AM »
Hamster - I admit I thought that a "bmw" stroller was over the top, but you're correct. Nothing says, "I love my child" more than spending SIXTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS on a stroller. Complete with hand stitched "leather-look" handles!

I spurted coffee out my nose when I saw that.

I guess that this stroller guarantees that when your child becomes a teen, s/he will never have a bad attitude, will earn full scholarships to university and will most definitely look after you when you become unable to do so for yourself...all because s/he remembers that you cared enough to purchase a stroller with a "cheeky custom made license plate".

I'm not sure whether to thank you for that link, or drown myself :/

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 06:30:12 AM »
Hamster - I admit I thought that a "bmw" stroller was over the top, but you're correct. Nothing says, "I love my child" more than spending SIXTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS on a stroller. Complete with hand stitched "leather-look" handles!

I spurted coffee out my nose when I saw that.

I guess that this stroller guarantees that when your child becomes a teen, s/he will never have a bad attitude, will earn full scholarships to university and will most definitely look after you when you become unable to do so for yourself...all because s/he remembers that you cared enough to purchase a stroller with a "cheeky custom made license plate".

I'm not sure whether to thank you for that link, or drown myself :/
the stroller is equipped with a new and improved carry handle
Shoot! I bought last year's model.  At least I can upgrade!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »

You can't debunk a legend . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »

You can't debunk a legend . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton.

Yes, well... in addition to liver failure and heart disease, I'm confident Milo had crippling back pain.

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
I used to work in a company with some highly paid people. I've seen far more money spent on strollers.

http://www.amazon.com/Promenade-Buggy-Single-Stroller-Black/dp/B005SASK54/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1364682848&sr=1-3

It gets worse if you want a modular car seat (at this point my eyes usually glazed over and I'd ask about when they are hiring a hot nanny in an attempt to end the conversation).

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 08:35:55 PM »
When we had our first child, we bought a Bob stroller from a friend for about $200. My wife walked everywhere, including uneven brick sidewalks with tree roots pushing through, etc. It was great, very easy to handle. We sold it two years later for about $150 to another friend, and then we bought a Phil&Teds Vibe double stroller off of Craigslist to accommodate our second child. There's a dearth of good double strollers that can handle Boston sidewalks, and double-wide strollers don't fit on buses. I think we spent about $250 used.

At that point, we had no car, and it was the only way my wife would get around with the kids. When we finally sell the stroller in a few years (3 kids now), we'll probably get about $150 for it, since we wore it so hard that the frame broke and we made a visible repair. Frankly, I'm pretty unhappy with the Phil&Teds stroller, but there weren't really any good alternatives for a pregnant 5'3" woman toting around a 1yo+3yo for 2+miles. We own a car now.

That MacLaren stroller in the OP looks awful, though. Those tiny wheels would be good for shopping malls and little else. And what are they doing teaming up with BMW? This is what I think of whenever I see one of those strollers.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
I should add that I'm a backpacker and a beginning mountaineer. Carrying 30 pounds on my back walking 10 miles per day is no problem when I've been doing it for a few days. Carrying more is a burden but it's doable, besides I consider myself still pretty weak and that needs to change. Mountaineering requires carrying a 50-60 pound pack up several thousand feet over 6-8 hours.

I also hope to do Denali next year, which requires carrying even more weight plus dragging a sled.

...and after all that the plan is to have kids. We'll see how it works out, but it doesn't sound to me like carrying a 30 pound kid 4-5 miles in a day is going to be that bad.

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »

Hear, hear, Shedinator.

I paid $45 for a "Pacific" steel framed used bike in the 1990s when I was in Philly at university. I put several thousand miles on it (lots of trips to Fairmount Park), graduated and sold it to a buddy who continued his graduate work at the same school, and then he did the same. Eight years and however many miles more ...

Although I know this is certainly not always the case, even B Joel said "You'll get more mileage from a cheap pair of speakers." ... ;)

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »

If I saw a BMW logo on a stroller, I wouldn't assume the parents loved their kid more - I would assume they cared a lot about what other people think about them. If I was feeling really curmudgeonly and cranky I might even judge them for wasting money on a logo that could be in a savings account for their child's education (which is actually really hypocritical of me, since I don't even think parents need to pay for their kids college, but you get the point).

Are there really people out there that would look at that and go, "Oh, wow, those parents must really love their child a lot. Look at the stroller they bought for them!" ?!? Does.not.compute.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »
Are there really people out there that would look at that and go, "Oh, wow, those parents must really love their child a lot. Look at the stroller they bought for them!" ?!? Does.not.compute.

There might be. There are definitely people who go, "Oh, wow, those parents must not love their child very much, putting them in that cheap stroller." Same kind of people who think it's bad parenting to drive a kid around in anything smaller than an assault vehicle.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »
My wife got some crappy graco stroller for her shower. We didnt realize it but what a waste of 160 bucks. We then bought a used BOB. If we had it to do all over again we would buy a cheap little stow and go for traveling and a used BOB. It is crazy how much some people spend on their kids.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »
There might be. There are definitely people who go, "Oh, wow, those parents must not love their child very much, putting them in that cheap stroller." Same kind of people who think it's bad parenting to drive a kid around in anything smaller than an assault vehicle.

Operation: Soccer Escort

Posted at: 2009-08-07 09:03:54
Original ad:
I am in need of a reliable and SAFE driver to take my 10-year-old daughter home from after-school soccer practice starting in September and ending in late November. She needs to be taken from school in Exton to home in Bryn Mawr. It should take about an hour each day. You will be needed Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri. Looking for a safe driver with a clean driving record. E-mail at ***********@comcast.net with references. We can discuss compensation. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Me to ************@comcast.net

Good afternoon.

My name is Mike Partlow and I am very interested in this job. I have a lot of experience driving under dangerous conditions and guarantee your daughter will arrive safely at home every day.

If you are still looking for a dependable driver, please write back.

Sincerely,

Mike Partlow

From Kate ******** to Me

Mr. Partlow (can I call you Mike?),

I still am looking for a driver. Good to know you can handle dangerous conditions...but there probably will not be any dangerous conditions; you are just taking my daughter down Rt 3.

Tell me about yourself - are you a professional driver? Do you have any references from past jobs? What kind of car do you own? Is it reliable?

- Kate

From Me to Kate ********

Kate,

You can call me Mike. I was never one for formalities.

A little about myself, I am 37 years old, and worked as a mercenary driver in the Middle East. I have escorted important clients through high-risk areas in Iraq and Afghanistan for five years. I have seen a lot of action, and have ensured the safety of my clients. Out of all the jobs I have done, 90% of my clients arrived at their destination unharmed.

I have several references. I'll have one of them e-mail you.

My car is very safe and reliable - perfect for your daughter. It is an armored 2007 Chevy Suburban. All glass has been replaced with multi-layered ballistic glass capable of stopping a 7.62 x 39 bullet dead in its tracks. The doors, roof, and floor have been reinforced with ballistic steel/composite that can withstand IED blasts and stop grenade fragmentation. This car has been put to the test and will always deliver.

Safety and protection is my #1 priority. The car is fully loaded with an HK416 assault rifle that fire under the toughest conditions. The roof has a 40mm MK-19 automatic grenade launcher turret installed. Hopefully we won't have to use it, but it is good to have. I can't tell you how many times I've had to return fire against an enemy APC. I assure you that nobody will mess with your daughter as I escort her home from soccer practice.

Now lets discuss pay. I have various security packages I offer, and for your daughter I recommend my medium package which will run you $200 an hour. I also have a minimal package which is only $125 an hour. It is entirely up to you.

Let me know,

Mike Partlow

From Kate ******** to Me

This has to be a joke. This isnt Bagdad, it's suburban PA...

Are you just being sarcastic? What do you really drive? I want to pay 30 bucks a day, tops.

From Me to Kate ********

Kate,

Safety/protection is no joke. For $30, you are likely to get some 17-year-old kid who just got his license and will drive your daughter in his unarmored Ford Focus. I've seen an IED blow a Ford Focus into thousands of pieces, none larger than a golf ball.

My security package is well worth the $200 per trip. We will pick your daughter up in a random Suburban. Four trucks will pull up, and she will get into a random one every day. This is so the enemy does not know which one to attack. The Suburban she is in will have an armed security detail of men I have worked with in Iraq. We know what we are doing. She will be escorted in our convoy down the highway at a high rate of speed to avoid stopping in "kill zones." All vehicles are equipped with an MIRT which is used to change the traffic lights to green so we will not have to slow down. Your daughter will arrive safely in your arms no later than 20 minutes from when she is extracted from the soccer field.

Please reconsider my offer. You can't put a price on your daughter's safety.

From Kate ******** to Me

Stop wasting my time. Don't e-mail me again.

(later, from another e-mail account)

From Nick Walken to Kate **********

Dear Kate,

I am an old client of Mike Partlow. He told me that you wanted a reference for a job you are considering him for. Let me start off by saying, you could not have made a finer choice. Mike is the best there is. He literally saved my life countless times in Iraq. Whatever you are using him for, you have made the right choice. You will be 100% safe.

When I think about my experience Mike, one time stands above the rest. Back in 2005, I was a contractor in Iraq and had hired Mike's security detail to escort me through Fallujah. Everything was going fine until our convoy was hit by an IED. I don't remember much, but next thing you know, I woke up in a Republican Guard prisoner camp with Mike. I thought we were goners. They took me and Mike into a hut, where there were at least eight armed soldiers placing bets. They were going to make Mike and I play Russian Roulette. Mike convinced a soldier to let him play with three bullets, instead of one, which I thought was crazy. Mike even put the gun to his head once and pulled the trigger. He started laughing, and the soldiers started laughing too. When they let their guard down, he immediately shot three of them in the head, grabbed one of their AKs, and gunned down the other five soldiers. I didn't think we would make it out of that one alive, but thanks to Mike's heroic actions, I am here today.

You cannot go wrong with Mike Partlow. He is the best of the best. One time he killed an entire truck of insurgents using just a fork from his salad. He makes do with what he has and will survive the worst of situations.

If you have any more questions about Mike, please don't hesitate to contact me. I owe the man my life.

Nick

From Kate ******** to Me

what in the hell...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 07:17:05 PM »
Hah!  That was awesome Kriegsspiel.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
I'm not a parent and I've never had a baby or carried one for much longer than three or four hours, so no offense, but I think that humans somehow transported their infants before there were strollers to put them in.

Our bodies, which are anatomically identical to people who would run and walk everywhere with everything they own in their arms and on their backs, ought to be robust enough to carry something that weighs <50lbs for short distances, right?

My personal experience with carrying awkward objects (45lb rocket launchers) for hundreds of kilometers makes me feel like strollers might not be necessary. We'll see when I have my own child(ren) though!

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »
I'm not a parent and I've never had a baby or carried one for much longer than three or four hours, so no offense, but I think that humans somehow transported their infants before there were strollers to put them in.

Our bodies, which are anatomically identical to people who would run and walk everywhere with everything they own in their arms and on their backs, ought to be robust enough to carry something that weighs <50lbs for short distances, right?

My personal experience with carrying awkward objects (45lb rocket launchers) for hundreds of kilometers makes me feel like strollers might not be necessary. We'll see when I have my own child(ren) though!

You're not completely wrong, but if our ancestors were carrying their children as far and as frequently as we do today (I have my doubts about that), then either they knew some trick we no longer know today, or they just suffered through the related pain.

As to babies vs. rocket launchers, it's the old live load-dead load discussion. IMO, it's much harder to carry my 40 lb 4-year-old on the few occasions that I feel there is a need to do so, than to carry, for instance, a 50-lb bag of flour.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »

You're not completely wrong, but if our ancestors were carrying their children as far and as frequently as we do today (I have my doubts about that), then either they knew some trick we no longer know today, or they just suffered through the related pain.

As to babies vs. rocket launchers, it's the old live load-dead load discussion. IMO, it's much harder to carry my 40 lb 4-year-old on the few occasions that I feel there is a need to do so, than to carry, for instance, a 50-lb bag of flour.

Well, it looks like most hunter gatherer (40 out of 48 tropical societies pp. 33-34) populations would strap their babies to themselves somehow, and given that !Kung and hunter gatherers in general would travel 6-16km per day while carrying their infants (how far are you walking?), it seems likely that somehow we must be able to do it without injury.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 05:14:49 PM »

Well, it looks like most hunter gatherer (40 out of 48 tropical societies pp. 33-34) populations would strap their babies to themselves somehow, and given that !Kung and hunter gatherers in general would travel 6-16km per day while carrying their infants (how far are you walking?), it seems likely that somehow we must be able to do it without injury.

As I said, they either have a method of carrying with which we're not familiar, or are willing to suffer through the pain. I would add a third possibility- that they stop carrying babies at a smaller size than we do. I could carry a 6 month old all day without any difficult, especially if that 6 month old were like mine, who slept any time he was being carried, making him effectively dead weight.

I'm a big guy. I used to routinely carry a 40 lb backpack from my dorm room to a classroom over a mile away without difficulty. I lugged landscaping equipment all over campus for a summer without incident. I tossed hay, corded wood, lifted weights... yes, I've had pretty consistent back pain my entire life, but it's been about the same level.

My wife is a pastry chef. Up to the point when she was 8 months pregnant, she was regularly hefting 50 lb sacks of flour and other commercial-sized containers of various ingredients. She had no history of any kind of back pain, or shoulder pain.

By the time my son was 25 lbs (about 18 months), carrying him for more than a half hour at a time resulted in all sorts of aches and pains for both of us.

You may have a different experience, but I can only speak to the experience of myself and my wife, and for us, carrying a child for  any significant length has proven to be painful in a way we did not anticipate. Do with that information what you will, but I thought it was worth sharing a dissenting opinion.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »
Have NONE of you people heard of an Ergo?

When you want to carry your heavy kid for hours at a time and not deal with a stroller, you put them on your back, just like parents all over the world have done since we evolved away monkey hair backs (most of us, anyway....) and infants with hair-clinging monkey grips.

I can carry my kid almost indefinitely while keeping my hands and arms free because, like backpackers with their gear, I use a soft, backpack-style carrier that shifts the weight of my kid down to my hips so it's easy to manage.

I was carried my daughter routinely at 40 pounds this way.

Ergos are about $130 new, by the way, more for fancy fabrics. My first one lasted 7 years and 4 kids and I'd still be using it now if I hadn't lost it and had to replace it.

(Edited to clarify carrier positioning.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:25:10 PM by Erica/NWEdible »

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
You can also use a long piece of fabric (I believe they're sold as "Moby wraps," but you can make your own) to tie the kid to you. I recently carried our 18-month-old on a hike with 1000+ ft elevation gain that way without any problems (at least on the way up - coming down was a bit hard on the knees).

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »
I think that's how most of the world's women carry their kids -  either a single piece of fabric, or a piece of fabric plus straps with the kid tied onto the back. When I was in Southern Africa, most kids didn't walk until about 2 years old because they spent almost the entire day strapped to their mom's back. And those women walked many miles a day.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
glad the face-punchers arrived to back me up :)

back problems from carrying kids may be due either to carrying them in a poor position, or not having strong enough core muscles. Shoulder position is also important. It's definitely something that humans in general are theoretically capable of doing.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »

Not to mention going through your day with only one hand!  You can take my stroller from my cold, dead hands.  :)

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
Dragging is usually easier to do than pushing, or carrying.  I would suggest the humble leash.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »
Dragging is usually easier to do than pushing, or carrying.  I would suggest the humble leash.

Now that brings back some memories.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »

Let me tell you about Bosnia...

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
glad the face-punchers arrived to back me up :)

back problems from carrying kids may be due either to carrying them in a poor position, or not having strong enough core muscles. Shoulder position is also important. It's definitely something that humans in general are theoretically capable of doing.
My face doesn't feel particularly punched... I already said that yes, this was something people did throughout history, but that they either did it differently from how I did it, or they dealt with the pain.

If women are carrying their babies for miles on their backs every day in Southern Africa, and are pain free, then they are using a carrying method that did not occur to me, or they're just generally stronger than me. I'm OK with that reality. Carrying my son was not an exercise of strapping him to my back with a piece of cloth, it was picking him up and cradling him in an arm (or resting him on a hip when he got bigger). That's how I was taught to carry my child, and it hurt like the dickens. If there's a better, non-painful way out there, awesome. Maybe if we have another kid, I'll use that way and it will save me tens of dollars in stroller-related costs. In the meantime, all I did was share my experience as someone who was used to carrying heavy loads, and found that one load in particular resulted in pain.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
We used a sling most of the time, but also had a stroller for when we preferred that.  Usually it was the sling though, and it was very comfortable.  If you start with an infant and make sure to use the sling correctly, I can't see having back or shoulder problems for people who don't already have problems.  As your child gets bigger you will develop appropriate strength to handle it, and learn the different ways of using a sling so you can adjust position as needed to keep comfortable during a long day.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
Humans transported themselves around before bikes too, and those don't get a bad rap.  I probably logged hundreds of miles on foot around the neighborhood with ours.  I was able to do a lot more car- free thanks to having a good quality stroller.  Totally mustachian.  I have to join in the snickering a little at the childless chimers-in.  :)  My 35 lb load wiggles, shifts her center of gravity wildly with no notice, and often does not want to be held or to proceed.  She walks most places now, but NO way am I parting with the stroller yet! 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!