Author Topic: Parking is scarce in the city.  (Read 4982 times)

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
Parking is scarce in the city.
« on: May 16, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
I love this letter to the editor in my hometown Buffalo News, complaining about how difficult it is to find a parking spot within ten feet of one's downtown destination.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130515/OPINION/130519439/1074

For those who aren't from Western New York, there's actually a free trolley that runs through downtown from end-to-end, so you can park anywhere and get to your destination without walking more than a couple of blocks.

My favorite comment?

"Many suburbanites drive big SUVs or like myself Crew Cab pickups.....try finding a ramp for a crew cab or a parking spot on the street. When I go to childrens hospital on Bryant St...I end up walking probably a third of a mile and encounter the parking Gestapo in their little white trucks ticketing cars on streets that are otherwise empty.....why no parking on these surrounding streets?.......CHA_ CHANG....that's why."

A third of a mile? That's the worst thing to happen to anyone in the history of humanity. It's a miracle you didn't perish for lack of provisions.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Parking is scarce in the city.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:15:02 AM »
I love this letter to the editor in my hometown Buffalo News, complaining about how difficult it is to find a parking spot within ten feet of one's downtown destination.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130515/OPINION/130519439/1074

For those who aren't from Western New York, there's actually a free trolley that runs through downtown from end-to-end, so you can park anywhere and get to your destination without walking more than a couple of blocks.

My favorite comment?

"Many suburbanites drive big SUVs or like myself Crew Cab pickups.....try finding a ramp for a crew cab or a parking spot on the street. When I go to childrens hospital on Bryant St...I end up walking probably a third of a mile and encounter the parking Gestapo in their little white trucks ticketing cars on streets that are otherwise empty.....why no parking on these surrounding streets?.......CHA_ CHANG....that's why."

A third of a mile? That's the worst thing to happen to anyone in the history of humanity. It's a miracle you didn't perish for lack of provisions.

Go easy on the guy . . . he must be bringing a butt-ton of toys for those sick kids if he needs a crew cab to make his trip!

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »
Go easy on the guy . . . he must be bringing a butt-ton of toys for those sick kids if he needs a crew cab to make his trip!

Hospitals have no chimneys so Santa takes his F150?

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
When my 6 year old computer broke I purchased a tower for ~450, then I purchased a MBP less than 1 year later for $1,400 because I didn't like how my room looked with a computer desk. Now I'm regretting that I didn't spend the net amount on a MBA... since the Pro is too heavy to carry around.

One of my closets contains 1 HUGE CRT monitor, 1 broken computer tower, 1 fully functioning computer tower - I know I need to purchase an external harddrive that works for both Windows and Apple; and then I have to figure out what to do with them.... it's been like this the last 3 years...

You can find usb adapters for SATA drives, and applications for Mac that will read whatever format you need. Also, I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

RedMaple

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »
When my 6 year old computer broke I purchased a tower for ~450, then I purchased a MBP less than 1 year later for $1,400 because I didn't like how my room looked with a computer desk. Now I'm regretting that I didn't spend the net amount on a MBA... since the Pro is too heavy to carry around.

One of my closets contains 1 HUGE CRT monitor, 1 broken computer tower, 1 fully functioning computer tower - I know I need to purchase an external harddrive that works for both Windows and Apple; and then I have to figure out what to do with them.... it's been like this the last 3 years...

You can find usb adapters for SATA drives, and applications for Mac that will read whatever format you need. Also, I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

oops, I did thanks... I deleted my original post. Thanks for the computer advice. Actually, my old old external hard drive is usable with windows, and I can open things in the mac - I just can't save things into the external drive (nor save things onto the mac as I recall). It is possible to reformat the drive for it to be mac friendly - but it seems like I can't have it operational to both windows and mac.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
Slightly OT, but I hate parking or looking for parking, and especially, paying for parking. True some of the things I like to do, such as seeing an orchestra concert or the opera (something I am willing to splurge on, relatively speaking) require looking for parking, but I hate it. I hate that so many social things that people organize are downtown. This past Friday I went to a close friend's birthday party at a nice restaurant. I went for her, but wish she had chosen a better place. I thought that there are far better restaurants that serve better food at better prices with largely the same atmosphere then this trendy spot. Thanking my friend's idea for an afterparty was to go back to another friend's place to have a bonfire and board games (rained) so it was mostly board games, instead of going out for drinks.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
A little amused looking at the local symphony website. Apparently they have a free lot (yay) where you can then pay $3 a person to take a shuttle to the symphony house. Look at the map and apparently the alternative is parking there for free than walking a half mile across a lovely looking pedestrian bridge across the river. I don't know about most people but I'd rather take a relaxing scenic walk across probably one of the only pedestrian bridges in the city than climb aboard a crowded shuttle and wait through traffic, even if there wasn't any price difference.

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
Parking really is scarce in the city. In this typical ad for a downtown Chicago condo, parking is a mere $55,000 extra. It's even heated, so it makes sense until you remember your parking spot costs more than your car.
http://www.coldwellbankeronline.com/property/details/2870604/MLS-08183976/600-North-Lake-Shore-Drive-Chicago-Near-North-Side-IL-60611.aspx?SearchID=14528275&RowNum=114&StateID=19&RegionID=0&IsRegularPS=True&IsSold=False

This place even has a great deal where if you buy one parking space for $40,000 then you get the second one FREE!!! Wow.
http://www.coldwellbankeronline.com/property/details/2884729/MLS-08212773/530-North-Lake-Shore-Drive-Chicago-Near-North-Side-IL-60611.aspx?SearchID=14528275&RowNum=145&StateID=19&RegionID=0&IsRegularPS=True&IsSold=False

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »

This place even has a great deal where if you buy one parking space for $40,000 then you get the second one FREE!!! Wow.
http://www.coldwellbankeronline.com/property/details/2884729/MLS-08212773/530-North-Lake-Shore-Drive-Chicago-Near-North-Side-IL-60611.aspx?SearchID=14528275&RowNum=145&StateID=19&RegionID=0&IsRegularPS=True&IsSold=False

I'll take 10!!!! Just kidding, there's always this little nugget. I couldn't find the article, but I recall reading a few years ago that a parking spot was sold at auction in Boston for like $225,000.