Author Topic: Parents wonder which car to buy for their son  (Read 4562 times)

scottish

• Magnum Stache

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
Re: Parents wonder which car to buy for their son
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 06:46:41 AM »
My first car was a 1972 Ford Pinto worth $1.82. The cars they talk about in this article are newer and worth more than what I drive right now. What happened to getting your kid a total beater with no third gear and rusted floor boards?

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 06:53:59 AM »
My first car was a badly rusted 1975 Nova that cost me $700 to purchase and get on the road.   That seemed pretty pricey at the time, but it beat the 1 hour bus ride to and from school each day.  It looked like this, except with lots of rust:

Good times...

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:16:57 AM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/used-cars/which-car-should-i-get-for-my-kid-in-university/article31982535/

At least they're not looking at SUVs...

At least they are not looking at SUVs as if "these cars are already bad enough"

Is that what you are inferring?

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »
I was making fun of idea that they should give their son a car.   In terms of car choices, they seem pretty good.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »
Rich people problems (or people that think they're rich). My first car cost $500 and was about 35 years old at the time, it served me well for many years and I learned a lot about maintaining and repairing vehicles.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 02:03:21 PM »
I thought my folks were very generous by paying liability insurance and one tank of gas per week for my first car.  I bought a 21 year old Impala that needed a top end rebuild, and was damn appreciative to have it. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »
My first car was a 1990 Oldmobile Cutlass Ciera, very similar to the car seen here.  It had been my dad's car, but around the time that I turned 16 in 1997, he bought my great uncle's Jeep for himself, and this Oldsmobile became the kids'/family car.  I'm very lucky that my parents only made me pay for my gas, while they covered insurance and maintenance.  I had two younger brothers, so it was expected that when I left for college, I would pass it down to my first brother who was turning 16 around that time, and then similar pass-down for the youngest brother.  Alas, the first brother did not take great care of it, and then he totaled it on a snowy winter day.  When youngest brother turned 16, he bought my dad's Jeep and my dad bought another used Jeep for himself.  Within a few months, youngest brother totaled his Jeep, though it actually was the fault of the other driver (who fled the scene) -- they were on a winding side street often used as a cut-through where people drive too fast, and the other guy was speeding around a blind curve on the wrong side of the road, and my brother swerved to avoid a collision but ended up around a telephone pole.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:22:57 PM by LeRainDrop »

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »
I don't really see this as wall of shame worthy. Buying a cheap and reliable used vehicle, MMM recommended at that, seems reasonable for parents that can afford it. Id rather spend 5-7k on one than have my daughter buy some POS rust bucket for whatever she could afford.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
I put it on the wall of shame because by the time your kids (or at least my kids, it's really none of my business about your kids) are in university, they need to be making their own financial decisions.     Otherwise we would seem like an endless source of money, and would be limiting their development.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 01:56:51 AM »
The first car you should get your kid should be a bicycle. What is wrong with parents? Maybe if the commute is a bit longer give them an e-bike.

A car is something you get when you get a job, work hard, save money and buy the thing.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 04:20:53 AM »
I thought my folks were very generous by paying liability insurance and one tank of gas per week for my first car.  I bought a 21 year old Impala that needed a top end rebuild, and was damn appreciative to have it.

Given your age, this sounds like it might've been a pretty awesome car to have after the rebuild.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »

Given your age, this sounds like it might've been a pretty awesome car to have after the rebuild.

It was awesome.  65 Impala 4 door.  I could take 12 of my closest friends anywhere they wanted.  I'm shocked that car didn't kill us.  Retread tires, 4 wheel drum brakes (which needed rebuilding), no shoulder belts, and blind spots big enough to lose a bus in.  Good times!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
My first car was a mid-60s car in the mid-80s. That car was determined to rust away as fast as it could. Absolute junk and I was very proud out it. I fixed and painted and polished and for a while it would look good before it broke out in a rusty rash again. ;) Bad brakes, howling rear axle, worn out transmission, and no heat. Got it looking good again and sold it.

All in all it was a good lesson on working on cars that I make use of today.

Drove through a state university parking lot recently. Some of the cars in student parking were quite nice. I wonder if they will be the same people complaining about student loans in a few years.

My eldest is starting out with a $800 Korean car. His money. He can drive it or sell it and combine the proceeds with his savings and buy something better.