Author Topic: Paid Parking... wait, what?  (Read 1770 times)

js82

• Pencil Stache
Paid Parking... wait, what?
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:27:44 AM »
So I just got a notice from my landlord (or more specifically, "Property Management Company").  They're already pretty bad about trying to nickel and dime tenants with fees, but this one takes the cake.

They're going to turn some parking spots closer to the apartments into "reserved" parking spaces that they'll charge $25/month for.  And this is utterly insane, given the context:

1) There are already a limited number of carport-style parking spots (outdoors, covered) for $35/month.  These are slightly further, but you don't have to deal with ice/snow/frost during the winter months.  I pay for one of these because we can get frost here 8 months out of the year, and snow for 5 or 6 months, and the cumulative time savings is worth it.
2) Non-covered parking is currently free. 
3) There's not a shortage of parking spots.  Worst case, a non-reserved spot will probably mean another 30-60 seconds of walking. 

This is probably my cue to give them the (metaphorical) middle finger and move elsewhere.  This is just a blatant money grab on top of all the others they have, and it's an absurd one at that.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Paid Parking... wait, what?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 02:53:50 PM »
That's pretty dumb.  I try to check out the rental "atmosphere" every couple months, just to see what's out there and what has happened to prices.  The great part is that you can move!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
Re: Paid Parking... wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
People will pay it. Americans love close parking. Seinfeld even made an entire episode about it.

I went to a Cal State in California for my MA program. The campus was on a hill. There was one parking lot with about 50 spaces that was on the top tier with minimal walking. The upper lot would fill by 7:00 a.m.. People would show up starting around 6:30 a.m. and sit in their car until 7:45 a.m. for an 8:00 a.m. class.

They could show up at 7:40 a.m. and park on the 2nd tier, resulting in an extra 5 minute walk. There were about 50 people that would show up to campus an extra hour early to avoid walking an extra 5 minutes.

America!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!