Author Topic: Own 2 gas guzzlers, 03 Impreza hatchback + 09 Forester suv...  (Read 7178 times)

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
Own 2 gas guzzlers, 03 Impreza hatchback + 09 Forester suv...
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »
Both AWD, ie both suck back gas like no tomorrow, lol.

Excuses... ie explanations :)
1. AWD, awesome for winter... lol... oh yeah... had to buy 2 sets of winter tires so another $1200 (and i'm too lazy to change them... the shame :()
2. The Forester is actually paid mostly by her company... about $600/mth... but still I think we could have gotten something more economical for gas.
3. They both take regular... oh boy, lol!

In Jan 2014, the Forester is off the plan (fully paid off) so we'll need another car that fits the requirements to get company payments again.  Not too sure what to do yet.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
Re: Own 2 gas guzzlers, 03 Impreza hatchback + 09 Forester suv...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
Does the company still own the car after it's paid off? Does your wife have to pay for her own gas?

If someone else were making the payment, but I were looking for something economical to operate (but still versatile like the Forester), I'd look at something like a Toyota Prius V or a Ford C-Max Energi. Either should be fine in the snow if you actually install the winter tires you will buy. :)

DougStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you for calling a Forester an SUV.  People think its a hatch back, but the newer ones are fucking huge. 

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:28:57 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you for calling a Forester an SUV.  People think its a hatch back, but the newer ones are fucking huge.

All the Subarus are -- I went from a '97 Legacy to an '08 Outback, which used to be the same body, and it's much larger than it used to be.

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »
Interesting about the company program.  So do you own the car outright at the end? What expenses are yours?

As for the Subaru cars, they are very nice looking, well built, and engineering wise awesome, I really struggle with the all time awd.  The amount in gas and tires they chew up really make them a luxury vehicle.

There are lots of good cars out there similar, my dad really likes his elantra touring (wagon) and it gets good mpg, holds lots too. 

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
I'm not 100% what the program outlines... we paid for the car though (cash) and it's insurance.  They break down down the numbers and at the end it comes out to about about $2000 out of pocket for us if/once it goes full term (ends in Jan 2014).  Has some rules... must have 4 doors, leather interior, alloy rims, auto.  It's pretty decent program IF you stay full term.  Come January i'm not sure what we'll do yet... we'll probably end up renewing another term and gettting another 30K vehicle... prob sell the forester (imagine if we keep suv and buy another suv... i think MMM would double uppercut me ;)).

All the Subarus are -- I went from a '97 Legacy to an '08 Outback, which used to be the same body, and it's much larger than it used to be.
+1 on Foresters being SUV's but not all Subarus are. Impreza's are incredibly similar looking to Mazda3's which is quite definitely hatchback

To OP, are you looking at getting another vehicle just so the company will keep making payments for you? How secure is the job? What happens if she quits/is fired/laid off? Is the car then your responsibilty? Do they pay extra for higher insurance premiums for having a new car?

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »
Yes after the 4yr term we own the vehicle outright.  Expenses that are ours is insurance and personal gas (she get's to expense tolls and some, not all mileage).  She says that some executive kinda abuse the program... or as they say optimize... they buy a V6 BMW... but drive the wifes prius to work, lol.

And to clarify, we do use the winter tires (I find it dumb not to in Canadian winters)... i'm just really lazy and take it to the shop for the swap (RUNS AND HIDES!).  AWD is awesome in the winters... but obviously not really worth the gas expense.

Interesting about the company program.  So do you own the car outright at the end? What expenses are yours?

As for the Subaru cars, they are very nice looking, well built, and engineering wise awesome, I really struggle with the all time awd.  The amount in gas and tires they chew up really make them a luxury vehicle.

There are lots of good cars out there similar, my dad really likes his elantra touring (wagon) and it gets good mpg, holds lots too.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:29 PM »
Yes after the 4yr term we own the vehicle outright.  Expenses that are ours is insurance and personal gas (she get's to expense tolls and some, not all mileage).  She says that some executive kinda abuse the program... or as they say optimize... they buy a V6 BMW... but drive the wifes prius to work, lol.

And to clarify, we do use the winter tires (I find it dumb not to in Canadian winters)... i'm just really lazy and take it to the shop for the swap (RUNS AND HIDES!).  AWD is awesome in the winters... but obviously not really worth the gas expense.

Are you winter tires mounted on steel rims?  If so, swapping tires is really just a matter of undoing some bolts and then screwing them back in.  I do this late every fall, and early every spring . . . takes about 30 - 40 minutes if I'm really slow.  The added benefit of doing this is that you know how to use your car jack in case you ever get a flat on the road.

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
I am with you. I probably deserve a face punch too for my 2010 Subaru Impreza.  I bought it new (the horror).  It is paid for and I am totally keeping it - forever.

Here is why.  I live part way up a mountain in the Seattle area.  When we do get snow it is awful, and there is no way I am biking up and down a mountain in the wet mushy snow that freezes into sheets of ice with water on top.  I will do it in summer, but in bad weather that would be taking my life in my hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6zlkP8thkk

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:25:22 PM by MelodysMustache »

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:14 AM »
Yes the winters are on steelies.  I know it's a not much of an investment to get a swap setup... and I'll learn a thing or two, and things I can teach my kids!  Just hasn't happened yet.

Are you winter tires mounted on steel rims?  If so, swapping tires is really just a matter of undoing some bolts and then screwing them back in.  I do this late every fall, and early every spring . . . takes about 30 - 40 minutes if I'm really slow.  The added benefit of doing this is that you know how to use your car jack in case you ever get a flat on the road.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »
Yes the winters are on steelies.  I know it's a not much of an investment to get a swap setup... and I'll learn a thing or two, and things I can teach my kids!  Just hasn't happened yet.

Give it a go!  It's probably faster to swap them yourself than to drive to your mechanic and get them to do it.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »
What is the rough estimate I require...

Jack
Jack Stands
Impact wrench (to take bolts off)
Manual Break bar
Socket set

That about it?

Give it a go!  It's probably faster to swap them yourself than to drive to your mechanic and get them to do it.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
You don't need jack stands unless you're going to be working underneath the car. They would be helpful if you plan to do your own tire rotations in between swapping out the winter/summer wheel/tire sets.

You shouldn't need an impact wrench to take the bolts off. A breaker bar should work fine. I would recommend using a torque wrench to reinstall the bolts--find out what the correct bolt torque specification is for your vehicle, and set it to that.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »
Jack - Should come with car
Jack Stands - Use a block of wood or something like that.
Impact wrench (to take bolts off) - shouldn't need one.  Lug nut wrench should come with car
Manual Break bar - ditto
Socket set - ditto

So you shouldn't need to buy anything at all.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »
Jack - Should come with car
Jack Stands - Use a block of wood or something like that.
Impact wrench (to take bolts off) - shouldn't need one.  Lug nut wrench should come with car
Manual Break bar - ditto
Socket set - ditto

So you shouldn't need to buy anything at all.

It's probably not a bad idea to invest in a decent jack, and maybe one of those four-way lug wrenches. The ones that come with cars are usually flimsy and not really durable enough for regular use.