Author Topic: Overpriced snacks and other goods shipped direct to your home?  (Read 21237 times)

mapleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Overpriced snacks and other goods shipped direct to your home?
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:23:21 PM »
OK, I found this so ridiculous that it prompted me to make my first post ever -- through the glory of Facebook, this was just brought to my attention:

http://naturebox.com

"NatureBox makes it easier for you and your family to eat better!" -- which means, for $20/month, this company will send you a box of five "nutritionist-approved" snacks. At 3-5 servings per bag (their estimate, but we all know how snacks and serving sizes work...) that's a dollar per handful of snack! Not to mention my 9-year-old could probably polish off a couple of the bags on the first day...

Granted, they look fairly decent (nuts, dried fruit and the like), but... who can't just buy some snacks at the store? Because, you know, you already have to go there to buy actual food... Or perhaps pop some popcorn or something?

It gets better, though -- via the comments on this post (the poster was wondering if anyone she knew subscribed and what they thought of the service), I discovered other imagination-defying companies, such as "Barkbox" (yes, for your dog), and "Birchbox," the worst of them all -- for $10 or $20/month (the higher price is for guys -- ???) you receive a monthly box of SAMPLES of "high-end beauty and lifestyle products" -- "to help you find products you love" -- so you can, I presume, use that knowledge to guide you in buying more shit you don't need. Baffling!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overpriced snacks and other goods shipped direct to your home?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »
Ha! I got an offer for a free box from Graze a while ago. Same concept it sounds like, and equally obscenely priced! Got the free box & promptly cancelled.

Ok, I did do Birchbox for a while though. It was $10/month and full of neat free (generously sized) samples. It just felt like a little present to myself every month. But, I finally decided it was fun I wasn't getting my $10 worth and cancelled it.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »
oh my gosh, I get so sick of seeing these various "box" ads on Facebook. what a ripoff! plus what if you don't like some of the stuff?? it's like the equivalent of me paying someone $20 every month to give me a Christmas stocking full of random shit.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:02 PM »
My coworker does NatureBox. Threads collide.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
I used to do subscription boxes so I am guilty of this. I got the snack one, I got makeup samples, etc. I am over it.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »
oh my gosh, I get so sick of seeing these various "box" ads on Facebook. what a ripoff! plus what if you don't like some of the stuff?? it's like the equivalent of me paying someone $20 every month to give me a Christmas stocking full of random shit.

Perfect description!

Yeah I see those ads all the time and roll my eyes

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »
Presumably their target market is the intersection of "indiscriminate eaters" and "people who will throw money at any amount of work." I'd imagine that's a pretty large market.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 06:45:45 PM »
Oh god. I have friends who do this. I can't even imagine. There's also another service that will send you a monthly box of $x worth of clothes, preselected according to your tastes and body type.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
My girlfriend keeps talking about "birch boxes", and how since she's cut back in other ways (I'm finally rubbing off on her), she deserves that monthly treat (obviously I'm not rubbing off enough)

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »
My girlfriend keeps talking about "birch boxes", and how since she's cut back in other ways (I'm finally rubbing off on her), she deserves that monthly treat (obviously I'm not rubbing off enough)
Birchbox was my thing. I got cool stuff but when I got a box full of samples that I could have gotten at the makeup/perfume counter of Macy's, I quit.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 06:59:08 AM »
Here is another one that is worse - https://www.stitchfix.com/

They send you 5 clothing or jewelry items per month and charge you $20 for a "styling fee".  The items average price is around $60.  If you keep all 5 they give you 20% off.  SO theoretically, if you keep all 5 every month you are still spending around $250/month or more....

There are so many things wrong with this "scheme" I don't know where to start. 

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 07:02:38 AM »
I got a sample of Naturebox and looked into it because it was so tasty, but it is seriously expensive.  Also, some of my girlfriends do Birchbox.  $20 a month for products you may not even use.  I wish I would have thought of these companies.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »
my mother wanted a birchbox subscription for her birthday one year.  she totally loves it.  haha. 

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »
Birchbox was my thing. I got cool stuff but when I got a box full of samples that I could have gotten at the makeup/perfume counter of Macy's, I quit.

I imagine she would be the same way. I know she would really like it and appreciate it... for a while, then get a little bored with it.

She used to use this Coach purse I bought her every day, then she spilled coffee in it. It's been sitting in the back seat of her car for the last month while she keeps talking about taking it somewhere to get cleaned. Obviously her love of the purse has waned over time.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30:06 AM »
I was thinking of posting something about this phenomenon the other day.  It seems like the hipster iteration of the old Blank-of-the-month clubs.  But now they're called boxes, and the contents are 'curated' or 'hand-selected' and each item  has to be attached to some other buzz word like organic, hand crafted, limited edition, small batch and be reviewed/approved/certified by some sort of nutrition/style/beauty/manliness expert.

A friend of mine has mentioned Bespoke Box a couple of times.  It sounds like a pretentious men's version of Birch box.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:59:43 AM »
It was $10/month and full of neat free (generously sized) samples.

They weren't free, they were $10 a month.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 11:14:19 AM »
The Jelly Box Of The Month, now that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
I'm going to start FacePunchBox.  You give me $10 a month and on the 1st I'll send you an email and yell at you about something stupid you spend your money on.

Imma be a millionaire!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 12:08:18 PM »
It was $10/month and full of neat free (generously sized) samples.

They weren't free, they were $10 a month.

Hahaha good point. Fruedian slip? Not sure why I wrote that. Let's just call it a typo.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
I got the Birchbox for 6 months for Christmas one year. The first one was cool, but by the 6th one, I was bored of it. A lot of the samples still haven't been opened or use. I like drugstore makeup and I don't like variety very much....I just get something into my routine and stick with it. I would never never never have paid for it on my own though.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 02:07:19 PM »
It's not all bad! I just signed up for a free trial of a subscription coffee bean company, and while I will appreciate the free beans they are sending me, I likely won't be paying $38 every two weeks for coffee shipped to my door.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:10:25 PM by kudy »

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »
A lot of parents I know right now are doing Citrus Lane and keep telling me how awesome it is.  $20-$30/month for a box of some toys and baby food pouches.  I spend most of my time trying to get rid of excessive toys - I definitely don't need more showing up on my doorstep every month.  Kiddos will get much more benefit out of it going into their college funds. 

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
OMG, how had I NOT heard about these stupid "boxes" before? Sounds like it's the latest and greatest and going on everywhere! I guess my FB friends (the list of which I keep neatly trimmed to people I actually hang out with in real life) aren't overconsumers falling for that kind of shit? Or something. So weird.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 09:34:51 PM »
I saw this on FB too.  I think there is a trend with having everything shipped to your home now like those boxes, Amazon Fresh, milk delivery, produce boxes, etc. 

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
The best way to give yourself a gift is the free samples sites will mail to you. I always forget about the item before it gets to me so it really is a surprise. Plus who can turn down free food?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »
Presumably their target market is the intersection of "indiscriminate eaters" and "people who will throw money at any amount of work." I'd imagine that's a pretty large market.

=-D

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »
I had the uk version of the snack box (graze) every fortnight. It was the first thing I cancelled when I saw the mustachian light. I did so love getting it in the post though.... It just wasn't worth the crazy money they charge for not-even-a-handful-of-dried-fruit etc. Awesome business model though. Wish I'd thought of it.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
Wow. This stuff is crazy! I hadn't heard of it before. Now I see there are clothes boxes, food boxes, dog toy boxes, baby toy boxes, etc.! I agree with whoever said this is a genius business idea, though...

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:19 AM »
We do still watch regular TV, and one of our favorite shows is SharkTank.  They have featured a few of these "box" entrepreneurs on the show.  I don't recall if they got the capital they were looking for, but hubby & I enjoy watching these pitches, hearing about the financials, and then breaking it all down.  Mustachian fun, lol!

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
I've seen a bunch of pitches for boxes of ingredients that you "assemble" into a meal. I guess the target demographic is hipsters who want to jump on the home-cooking trend, but are too lazy to go grocery shopping?
http://www.blueapron.com/
http://www.hellofresh.com/
http://www.plated.com/

I also like that Dollar Shave Club was called out for just buying Dorco razors and marking them up 100%, justifying themselves by claiming they provide a "convenience" (I guess ordering a box of Dorcos on Amazon is tough work).

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
Hahaha -- I started reading this thread, never having heard of any of these box schemes, and about halfway through a commercial for Naturebox came on Pandora.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
Hahaha -- I started reading this thread, never having heard of any of these box schemes, and about halfway through a commercial for Naturebox came on Pandora.

They're watching you...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2014, 08:21:19 PM »
Here is another one that is worse - https://www.stitchfix.com/

They send you 5 clothing or jewelry items per month and charge you $20 for a "styling fee".  The items average price is around $60.  If you keep all 5 they give you 20% off.  SO theoretically, if you keep all 5 every month you are still spending around $250/month or more....

There are so many things wrong with this "scheme" I don't know where to start.
Funny, one of my FB friends was doing stitch fix awhile back.  Can't remember which friend...

A coworker does Nature Box.  She gave me something that she didn't like once.  It was okay, but nothing I'd pay $4 for.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 04:56:56 AM »
This guy was challenged to make a new business and show a profit in 24 hours. He chose to sell monthly subscriptions for different kinds of jerky in a box. It worked.

http://www.appsumo.com/sumo-jerky/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »
This was an incredibly amusing thread to read while my 4 year old cuddled himself to sleep on me. I need to come to this part of the forum more often.

More seriously, are there any studies on the relative environmental impact of shipping direct to customer from a DC versus impact of a storefront and my driving (efficiently) to buy said item? The more I shop online, the more I wonder about it.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »
This guy was challenged to make a new business and show a profit in 24 hours. He chose to sell monthly subscriptions for different kinds of jerky in a box. It worked.

AWESOME article, thanks. Really got my brain juices flowing on what kind of thing I could start - it may be dumb to be my customer, but the world is full of people willing to overpay for convenience! I might actually attempt one of these.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »

AWESOME article, thanks. Really got my brain juices flowing on what kind of thing I could start - it may be dumb to be my customer, but the world is full of people willing to overpay for convenience! I might actually attempt one of these.

Eh, it seems the moral of the story is to sell to friends and acquaintances.  In that case, I'd probably do better with a nice multi-level marketing scheme.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 07:09:19 AM »

Eh, it seems the moral of the story is to sell to friends and acquaintances.  In that case, I'd probably do better with a nice multi-level marketing scheme.

Yes, I wondered about growth potential. There haven't been any updates on his business.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »

In his particular "challenge" scenario, where the time limit of 24 hours was looming, that was probably the best avenue to pursue for promotion...

I am mid-way into deploying my own monthly subscription business, and it's been a lot of fun so far. I don't know how far I'll take it, but so far it's been a fun hobby.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 11:43:24 PM »
I've seen a bunch of pitches for boxes of ingredients that you "assemble" into a meal. I guess the target demographic is hipsters who want to jump on the home-cooking trend, but are too lazy to go grocery shopping?
http://www.blueapron.com/
http://www.hellofresh.com/
http://www.plated.com/

I also like that Dollar Shave Club was called out for just buying Dorco razors and marking them up 100%, justifying themselves by claiming they provide a "convenience" (I guess ordering a box of Dorcos on Amazon is tough work).

I keep seeing this "plated" one pop up in ads, so I went to their website. The meal advertised today is $12 per plate for a fish and potato dish. So you fork over $24 for you and your spouse to get a box of the ingredients to cook two servings of fish and a side of potatoes. The ingredients are just: pollock, potatoes, chives, arugula, lemon, red wine vinegar, and salt. And I guess it sends you cooking instructions as well. This sounds so insane to me, yet their Facebook page is brimming with happy customers posting their success stories of cooking meals with family members (and saying what a good deal it is!?). REALLY? Why not just go to the website for their list of simple ingredients and stop at the store on the way home?

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
I saw this on FB too.  I think there is a trend with having everything shipped to your home now like those boxes, Amazon Fresh, milk delivery, produce boxes, etc.

I hadn't heard of this "box fad" either ... but do I ever miss the milk man bringing milk lol... that is the single thing we are always "almost" out of ... especially with me drinking so much now lol...

On the island where my husband is from in Portugal ... they still have fresh bread/buns delivery (they leave them on your fence/gate/door), they have little trucks that drive around with fresh produce (what ever is in season ...sold by the farmers/farmers families), they also have trucks that drive around with piglets/chickens/goats lol... I love it all ... Of course they have the big grocery stores as well ... but I like the personal touch talking to the farmers ...

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »
My wife signed us up for Barkbox in a fit of guilt about neglecting our dog after our son was born.  It caused some strained times in the Bank household, particularly when she forgot to cancel the auto-renewal.  I could buy our mutt a steak a month for what that crap costs and to hell with the baked truffle mac 'n cheese dog biscuits.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
My wife signed us up for Barkbox in a fit of guilt about neglecting our dog after our son was born.  It caused some strained times in the Bank household, particularly when she forgot to cancel the auto-renewal.  I could buy our mutt a steak a month for what that crap costs and to hell with the baked truffle mac 'n cheese dog biscuits.

Dogs don't have sophisticated palettes.  Your dog wants steak.

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »

Dogs don't have sophisticated palettes.  Your dog wants steak.

Yup.  And to lick her butt.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
Saw an ad on Facebook last night for a service like this that sends random sex toys to your house every month.

I would think that would be something that you would want to pick out, but what do I know?

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »
My neighbor, who never cooks and gets takeout delivered all the time, has recently been getting regular deliveries from Blue Apron.  I strongly suspect it's going to waste.  She is a super-wasteful person in general.  Pretty much has every light in the house on every time she's there.  Leaves her outdoor porchlight (the very bright incandescent type, too) on for days at a time.  Drives a mere mile and a half to work every day on a route that has designated bike lanes (and she owns 2 bikes, which I've never once seen leave the basement).  Heat (winter) and AC (summer) are on constantly.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »
It's a little bit ironic, but this thread had a part in inspiring me to start a side hustle with a "monthly box" component - here's a post I just wrote about some of the details, if anyone is interested:

http://www.monetarymusings.com/600/new-retail-food-side-hustle/

Still getting started, and would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

renaite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 05:48:07 PM »
I'm going to start FacePunchBox.  You give me $10 a month and on the 1st I'll send you an email and yell at you about something stupid you spend your money on.

Imma be a millionaire!

Can I get this in a free trial? I think starting the month with a facepunch could help me stay on track!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!