Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508067 times)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #700 on: October 02, 2018, 11:07:45 AM »
There is one thing that will get my neighbors to rearrange their garages: a new Tesla. There seems to have been a delivery recently, as we have at least 3 new ones just in our neighborhood. You can tell them apart because the young couples are standing there with their newly cleaned out garage open, staring at their new purchase. The one closest to us still drives the heavy gas sports car everyday, though, so I am not sure what the Tesla is for besides admiring.

Our neighborhood is FULL of Teslas. That's part of what we find baffling about the neighbor who just bought the Range Rover. They already have a brand new Honda Pilot so they've got a big SUV...if they were going to drop 100k on a car, why get a Range Rover and not a Tesla? Who needs TWO giant SUVs?! You are certainly right, though; those don't get parked on the street. Our neighborhood is mostly 3 car garages (ours has a tandem 3rd bay so we can actually park both cars in the garage, even with way too much crap in the tandem section...working on it!) and I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla parked on the street.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #701 on: October 02, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
One of my neighbors have had their car sitting in the driveway for a few days with a cloth of some sort draped over the driver side window. I presume that the window is broken. There has been some pretty heavy rain over the last few days so I'm sure that didn't do a great job of keeping moisture out of the cabin. The kicker though is that they have a two-car garage. How much do they have stuffed in there that they can't use it to shelter a single car, even temporarily?

There is one thing that will get my neighbors to rearrange their garages: a new Tesla. There seems to have been a delivery recently, as we have at least 3 new ones just in our neighborhood. You can tell them apart because the young couples are standing there with their newly cleaned out garage open, staring at their new purchase. The one closest to us still drives the heavy gas sports car everyday, though, so I am not sure what the Tesla is for besides admiring.

Tesla is a technological marvel - of course it's for admiring. *says with tone half huffy and half disbelief that this is not yet common knowledge*

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #702 on: October 02, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »

Our neighborhood is FULL of Teslas. That's part of what we find baffling about the neighbor who just bought the Range Rover. They already have a brand new Honda Pilot so they've got a big SUV...if they were going to drop 100k on a car, why get a Range Rover and not a Tesla? Who needs TWO giant SUVs?! You are certainly right, though; those don't get parked on the street. Our neighborhood is mostly 3 car garages (ours has a tandem 3rd bay so we can actually park both cars in the garage, even with way too much crap in the tandem section...working on it!) and I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla parked on the street.

Before you can take delivery of your vehicle you have to sign an agreement that you will only park the Tesla on the street in the event of an emergency or you already have 2 Tesla's occupying the garage.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #703 on: October 02, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla parked on the street.

There's actually a practical reason for that - electric cars are usually charging at home, so you won't have a cable running allll the way out to the street. Which is a hilarious visual, BTW.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #704 on: October 02, 2018, 12:55:52 PM »

Before you can take delivery of your vehicle you have to sign an agreement that you will only park the Tesla on the street in the event of an emergency or you already have 2 Tesla's occupying the garage.

Is....is this true? It's 2018 and sometimes I don't know if someone's joking or not.

Who knows is the U.S., but it is not true in the rest of the world:

https://goo.gl/images/ESCckg

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #705 on: October 02, 2018, 12:57:59 PM »
Tesla's are electric so they can't get wet.  That's why they are parked in garages.  :)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #706 on: October 02, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla parked on the street.

There's actually a practical reason for that - electric cars are usually charging at home, so you won't have a cable running allll the way out to the street. Which is a hilarious visual, BTW.

If I get an EV, I am going to park it across the street, where the free chargers are empty all night long! My husband works for that company, so it isn't even borderline on ethics. I assume most of the Tesla owners work there, as well. It would be funny to learn they are driving them across the street and parking them in the sun all day,  then bringing them home to park in the garage at night.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #707 on: October 02, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
I have a Nissan Leaf that I park outside (no garage), and I will say that electric cars DO NOT like getting cold in the winter.  When it's in the single digits, it won't start. Luckily I have the flexibility to work from home on those days, but it's still an inconvenience.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #708 on: October 02, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »

Is....is this true? It's 2018 and sometimes I don't know if someone's joking or not.
Yes it's a joke.  But I wouldn't put it past Elon to come up with something like this.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #709 on: October 02, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »

First, I just do not get land rovers at all.  I just wouldn't buy one even if I had a billion dollars.  For the same price I'd definitely get a Tesla.

Second, yeah very interesting I do have neighbors who park their Teslas in the otherwise full garage, but...

Third, I agree with Maenad that it's probably charging related, since there's another guy who parks his Lambo on our street and I have no idea why (except it's quieter than the cross street so maybe he thinks it's somehow safer)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: October 03, 2018, 01:08:33 AM »
I have a Nissan Leaf that I park outside (no garage), and I will say that electric cars DO NOT like getting cold in the winter.  When it's in the single digits, it won't start. Luckily I have the flexibility to work from home on those days, but it's still an inconvenience.

What? Never heard about that problem before. The lowest I remember starting my old leaf was -25C, and it always started at first try. In fact, the easy start in freezing temperatures is a selling point in the far north, where it can be difficult getting diesels to start at below -38C.

Is it long since you updated or recharged your starter battery?

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #711 on: October 03, 2018, 01:25:44 AM »

What? Never heard about that problem before. The lowest I remember starting my old leaf was -25C, and it always started at first try. In fact, the easy start in freezing temperatures is a selling point in the far north, where it can be difficult getting diesels to start at below -38C.

You are aware that a fully EV doesn't actually start as much as switch on the lights? The motor only needs current supplied by the batteries, only when it's totally dead will it actually "not start".

@Aelias: I recently saw an article with a custom battery upgrade with thermal booster. The thermal booster uses a bit of power but the higher output of the battery actually makes up for that apparently.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #712 on: October 03, 2018, 01:35:43 AM »

You are aware that a fully EV doesn't actually start as much as switch on the lights? The motor only needs current supplied by the batteries, only when it's totally dead will it actually "not start".

@Aelias: I recently saw an article with a custom battery upgrade with thermal booster. The thermal booster uses a bit of power but the higher output of the battery actually makes up for that apparently.

The starter batteries are a known problem in the leaf. They are a bit too small, and the re-charging procedure while driving is not optimal. You can have 100% on the main batteries, but if the starter battery is too low, the car won’t start. You can jumpstart an ev, like any other car, but if it is a recurring problem it is better to replace the 12v battery with a slightly larger one.

Mrs.Piano

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #713 on: October 03, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »
Ok, our neighbors, who seem like pretty good folks, recently paid $1.35 million to buy their house. It has 5 bedrooms and five bathrooms. They both work for the government and own only one car, which they rarely use as both use the public transport, so far, so good.

But they spend so much money! They put down sod in the yard, then gophers ate it so they put artificial turf! Then $3500 on lawn furniture, plus landscaping and a grill to up the cost. The worst part of it is, they barely ever use the yard because they are at WORK! I think it has gotten use twice this summer.

Besides the expensive yard habits, they run the AC day and night in the summer.

Before you all complain about why we are living in the expensive neighborhood, we are already at FI and Mr. Piano had always wanted to live in Toronto. Raccoons ate our yard, too, but we didn’t worry about it.  We have a table in the backyard, which came free with the house, and 4 chairs, which I bought for $2 each at a yard sale. Landscaping is being done gradually by friends in exchange for my tutoring their son (I am a licensed teacher).  When the weather was warm enough, I actually tutored the kid in the yard. We shake our heads about the couple next door.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #714 on: October 03, 2018, 07:30:34 AM »
Before you all complain about why we are living in the expensive neighborhood, we are already at FI and Mr. Piano had always wanted to live in Toronto. Raccoons ate our yard, too, but we didn’t worry about it.  We have a table in the backyard, which came free with the house, and 4 chairs, which I bought for $2 each at a yard sale. Landscaping is being done gradually by friends in exchange for my tutoring their son (I am a licensed teacher).  When the weather was warm enough, I actually tutored the kid in the yard. We shake our heads about the couple next door.

It sounds like not spending money on your yard is probably the smartest option in the trash panda capitol of the world: There's No Stopping Toronto's 'Uber-Raccoon' (entertaining videos)

Mrs.Piano

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #715 on: October 03, 2018, 08:15:41 AM »
Wow, other-Jen, those raccoons are no joke! We have not had any trouble with the compost bins, probably ours are already full after eating the back lawn!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #716 on: October 03, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »

It sounds like not spending money on your yard is probably the smartest option in the trash panda capitol of the world: There's No Stopping Toronto's 'Uber-Raccoon' (entertaining videos)
Oh, I imagine my .22 rifle with subsonic ammunition might be able to slow him down some :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #717 on: October 03, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »

The starter batteries are a known problem in the leaf. They are a bit too small, and the re-charging procedure while driving is not optimal. You can have 100% on the main batteries, but if the starter battery is too low, the car won’t start. You can jumpstart an ev, like any other car, but if it is a recurring problem it is better to replace the 12v battery with a slightly larger one.

Shows how little I know about EVs.  I wouldn't think they needed a starter battery.  Is it just to drive a solenoid for the main battery?  I would, however, expect freezing temperatures to be problematic for EVs, and thought that they would use resistive heating to maintain battery temp (similar to how Teslas will run the A/C for the batteries in high temperatures).

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #718 on: October 04, 2018, 04:28:39 AM »

Shows how little I know about EVs.  I wouldn't think they needed a starter battery.  Is it just to drive a solenoid for the main battery?  I would, however, expect freezing temperatures to be problematic for EVs, and thought that they would use resistive heating to maintain battery temp (similar to how Teslas will run the A/C for the batteries in high temperatures).

You can make EVs that run fine without a starter battery. The first gen Tesla Roadster didn't have one. But already in gen 2 of the Roadster they had put a small one in. It seems to be a number of reasons for why it makes sense to have a 12V starter battery system in an EV:
-Redundancy for safety reasons; if the main battery drops out, you have a second system for breaks, emergency lights, etc
-To protect the main battery: people plug all types of stupid shit into the 12V plugs. It is cheaper over time if they kill the 12 V battery, rather than the main battery
-To protect people from the main battery: high voltage and much power should not be easily available for the normal car driver
-Most EVs are made by manufactorers that have long experience in fossil fuelled cars. They have already built systems (windshield wipers, seat heaters, etc) that work on 12V starter batteries. Easier for them to just pop the ready made solutions into the electric car, instead of developing a lot of new stuff.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #719 on: October 04, 2018, 05:00:47 AM »
I just found out one of our neighbors spends $2000/month on groceries. This is in China, where the average salary is less than $1000/month. $2000/month is pretty much our entire monthly budget (minus DD’s tuition).

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #720 on: October 04, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
This is actually a sad one.  I had dinner with an old friend last night, and he vented at length about how horrible his work life has gotten.  Crazy hours (including multiple all nighters this year), unsatisfying work, constant stress that's leading to health problems.  He'd love to get a different job and is actively trying to do so, but he's at a point in his career where's hard to place.  He and his wife also maintain a mega-expensive DINKy lifestyle including a $4K a month apartment downtown.  He feels like he'd need a minimum of $150K in a new job.

I gave it my best, "I care about you.  This cannot go on.  This stuff is killing you.  Something has got to change."  But he shot down everything I suggested (get a cheaper apartment, give work an ultimatum, just walk out) with a shrug "I tried that already" or "I can't really do that."

The best I could do was reach out to a contact in a similar field to see if they're hiring.  In the end, it's his life, and he's going to do what he's going to do.  But it was just so sad.  I'm now worried that he's going to be the first of my close friends to die young from a stress related issue.  He even sort of accepts that at this point.  But he's so beaten down, he doesn't see that change is possible.

Sigh.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #721 on: October 04, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
I just found out one of our neighbors spends $2000/month on groceries. This is in China, where the average salary is less than $1000/month. $2000/month is pretty much our entire monthly budget (minus DD’s tuition).

My parents didn't spend that much in China including eating out and regular trips to the expat grocery.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #722 on: October 04, 2018, 02:46:24 PM »
After chatting with the new Range Rover neighbor a little more recently, we're pretty sure that they must be in huge debt...and I don't think it's going to get any better. The wife said that they'll probably be getting a new "fun" car because the Range Rover (which we figured to be about 100k...) is too nice to take off-roading...SO they're probably going to get a Wrangler for that. Oh, and their new Pilot is only 2 months old too. I really hope they make a whole lot more than we think they do. It sure doesn't look sustainable.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #723 on: October 04, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »

You can make EVs that run fine without a starter battery. The first gen Tesla Roadster didn't have one. But already in gen 2 of the Roadster they had put a small one in. It seems to be a number of reasons for why it makes sense to have a 12V starter battery system in an EV:
-Redundancy for safety reasons; if the main battery drops out, you have a second system for breaks, emergency lights, etc
-To protect the main battery: people plug all types of stupid shit into the 12V plugs. It is cheaper over time if they kill the 12 V battery, rather than the main battery
-To protect people from the main battery: high voltage and much power should not be easily available for the normal car driver
-Most EVs are made by manufactorers that have long experience in fossil fuelled cars. They have already built systems (windshield wipers, seat heaters, etc) that work on 12V starter batteries. Easier for them to just pop the ready made solutions into the electric car, instead of developing a lot of new stuff.

Pretty interesting stuff.  I'm not sure I agree with all of those reasons, but I believe you.  Particularly, when talking about a starter battery dying, it doesn't make sense that the car couldn't just recharge the starter from the main battery.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #724 on: October 04, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »

My parents didn't spend that much in China including eating out and regular trips to the expat grocery.

That’s just groceries. It doesn’t include eating out. I think it’s because they eat a lot of meat, and they eat organic everything (so mostly imported), and they have their groceries delivered (extra charge since they live in an expat compound on the outskirts of the city).

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #725 on: October 05, 2018, 06:11:37 AM »

I don't know either! I've also never seen a Tesla though.

Mrs.Piano

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #726 on: October 05, 2018, 09:41:41 AM »
My cousin drives a Tesla. He has every sort of gadget and a house full of unused items with the tags still on. I am not sure about his income, but with the consumer outgo he could have long since been FIRE.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #727 on: October 05, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
Well, I stand corrected on my earlier post. I was running in my neighborhood and I saw a Tesla in a driveway that clearly sat outside all night long. The horrors! But, it was "only" a Model 3...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #728 on: October 07, 2018, 08:42:09 PM »
Well, I stand corrected on my earlier post. I was running in my neighborhood and I saw a Tesla in a driveway that clearly sat outside all night long. The horrors! But, it was "only" a Model 3...

Non-roadster Teslas are remarkably boring cars... you may have seen a hundred but it probably wouldn't stand out in your mind unless you were really into cars

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #729 on: October 09, 2018, 08:34:48 AM »

Non-roadster Teslas are remarkably boring cars... you may have seen a hundred but it probably wouldn't stand out in your mind unless you were really into cars

Disagree. The instant torque even on a used Model S 60 gets me every time I sit in my friend's car. Every. Damn. Time.
But the rest of the stuff, too plain boring, and that damn distracting center console/computer screen.
I guess if I had one I'd get used to it.

I don't want this to happen to me:
https://jalopnik.com/cop-pulls-tesla-model-3-driver-over-for-computer-mounte-1829437075

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #730 on: October 09, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »
But the rest of the stuff, too plain boring, and that damn distracting center console/computer screen.

https://jalopnik.com/cop-pulls-tesla-model-3-driver-over-for-computer-mounte-1829437075
This has always bugged me whenever I even vaguely consider such a vehicle for a second.  Give me at least a couple knobs so I can adjust the radio volume or air conditioning without looking.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #731 on: October 09, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »

Must you provoke me at every turn?  If you owned one I guarantee  you'd not be bored with it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #732 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »

This has always bugged me whenever I even vaguely consider such a vehicle for a second.  Give me at least a couple knobs so I can adjust the radio volume or air conditioning without looking.
Oh, goodness, this a thousand times!  I'll take knobs, levers, switches, and buttons over a touch screen any day.  HVAC and radio/navigation should NEVER have any connection.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #733 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:45 PM »

Must you provoke me at every turn?  If you owned one I guarantee  you'd not be bored with it.

Gimme a break, I meant they look boring.  They do not stand out to a casual observer.  The context of the comment is people not noticing Tesla’s in their neighborhood

When you are inside one accelerating its fun

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #734 on: March 11, 2019, 03:23:12 PM »
This thread needs a revival, and I've got one.  A few days ago, this popped up in our FB group:
Has anyone that used <company> to put up their Xmas lights had any luck getting them taken down yet? I've reached out multiple times and was even told a month ago that it would be done "in a few days". I see a few homes around that look like they used him too, since the lights are still up. Have any of you also tried reaching out or had any luck?
Yup, people pay money for someone else to hang their Christmas lights.

People also regularly request recommendations for cleaning services, or for plumbers to do a trivial job, or a window company to replace window panes (in our vinyl windows, it's literally a 10-minute job!).  Several times I've pointed out how easy the job is, but nobody ever seems to be willing to DIY.

<commence grumbling> I'm starting to think I'm about done with our neighborhood.  We love the houses and the trees, but it feels like people are getting a bit snobbish for my taste.  The HOA hired a company this year to chase away the Canada geese that congregate around our ponds because someone got too annoyed by the noise and the poop.  Sure, they're noisy, but they woulda left in another month anyway, and we love watching them.  The HOA board also complains about not having enough money, so they raised our dues, but at the same time they re-landscape the entrances to the neighborhood 3x/year, and spend >$5k/year for a company to hang Christmas lights at the neighborhood entrances.</end grumbling>

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #735 on: March 12, 2019, 01:32:06 AM »

That's what the controls on the steering wheel are for (easiest steering wheel controls of any car I've used). Add in the voice commands and you really don't miss the all the other physical controls other cars have.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #736 on: March 12, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
This thread needs a revival, and I've got one.  A few days ago, this popped up in our FB group:
Has anyone that used <company> to put up their Xmas lights had any luck getting them taken down yet? I've reached out multiple times and was even told a month ago that it would be done "in a few days". I see a few homes around that look like they used him too, since the lights are still up. Have any of you also tried reaching out or had any luck?

People also regularly request recommendations for cleaning services, or for plumbers to do a trivial job, or a window company to replace window panes (in our vinyl windows, it's literally a 10-minute job!).  Several times I've pointed out how easy the job is, but nobody ever seems to be willing to DIY.

<commence grumbling> I'm starting to think I'm about done with our neighborhood.  We love the houses and the trees, but it feels like people are getting a bit snobbish for my taste.  The HOA hired a company this year to chase away the Canada geese that congregate around our ponds because someone got too annoyed by the noise and the poop.  Sure, they're noisy, but they woulda left in another month anyway, and we love watching them.  The HOA board also complains about not having enough money, so they raised our dues, but at the same time they re-landscape the entrances to the neighborhood 3x/year, and spend >$5k/year for a company to hang Christmas lights at the neighborhood entrances.</end grumbling>

Canada Gooses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3DuvTadLHI

Warning: contains profanity... lot's of profanity

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #737 on: March 12, 2019, 04:50:18 PM »

Canada Gooses!

Also known as "cobra chickens".

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #738 on: March 13, 2019, 02:19:07 AM »

Here in Norway you can tax free work at someones house or garden for max 600$ a year, for 10 different persons per year. As long as it is not your official profession (you cannot be a professional cleaner, painter or carpenter).
I am considering offering this type of small services after FIRE. Always nice to be able to generate some legal,  tax free income. The only issue is that if I won't have a profession, they tax authorities might interpret this to be my profession. We will see.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #739 on: March 13, 2019, 02:48:33 AM »
Can't you register yourself as some type of consultant, Linda? Or would you then need to do actual consulting work as proof? I bet they won't accept 'retired' as a main occupation at your age...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #740 on: March 13, 2019, 03:01:12 AM »
Can't you register yourself as some type of consultant, Linda? Or would you then need to do actual consulting work as proof? I bet they won't accept 'retired' as a main occupation at your age...

Yes, good idea. DH will be a consultant in his field. I am thinking of assisting him whenever he needs an extra pair of hands. Or help with the invoicing or other administrative stuff.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: March 13, 2019, 07:11:44 AM »

Canada Gooses!

Also known as "cobra chickens".

I second this. Occasionally, my golf ball lands near some, and I would rather walk near snakes to get to the ball than approach the geese that are there. They are freaking mean.

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #742 on: April 18, 2019, 07:23:12 AM »
I've got something to share.

My marina neighbor has a Prestige 500 motor boat. I looked it up because I was curious about the inside, and don't know them well enough to get invited on board. Well... https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/Power/Flybridge/Prestige/500/United+States it's a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom boat, with a kitchen and living room. They don't live on it, and I rarely see it away from the dock overnight. Boat listings are often overpriced, but the lowest list price in the US is over 600k.

(We live on our boat - that's my excuse for having marina neighbors to talk about. And we didn't pay anywhere near as much as they must have.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:25:52 AM by firstmatedavy »

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #743 on: April 28, 2019, 09:02:12 PM »

Yes!  This!  A thousand times this!

I thought I was the only one.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #744 on: April 28, 2019, 10:13:33 PM »

You’re not the only one.  In fact ask any HCI (human computer interaction) designer and they will show you all the research that it’s safer and more satisfying.  Not sure how such bad designs make it out of the design stage but I bet it has something to do with money.  And that being said, a lot of car makers are doing a really good job including the tactile aspect (I really like the Mazda car interface) in something that has become completely computer controlled

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: April 29, 2019, 01:51:36 AM »

You’re not the only one.  In fact ask any HCI (human computer interaction) designer and they will show you all the research that it’s safer and more satisfying.  Not sure how such bad designs make it out of the design stage but I bet it has something to do with money.  And that being said, a lot of car makers are doing a really good job including the tactile aspect (I really like the Mazda car interface) in something that has become completely computer controlled

I thought to myself "how wonderful is it that car makers are taking into consideration the needs of the blind and vision impaired drivers".

Then I had to slap myself for being so utterly stupid.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #746 on: April 29, 2019, 07:48:50 AM »

I thought to myself "how wonderful is it that car makers are taking into consideration the needs of the blind and vision impaired drivers".

Maybe not visually impaired drivers (LOL) but my husband is blind and hates when he can’t adjust the AC, radio, etc from the passenger seat. We just got a Prius and there are no knobs at all - just flat buttons. Tactile dots make a HUGE difference! We have them all over our house since microwaves, stoves, fridges, etc all just have flat panels now without any distinguishable buttons.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #747 on: April 29, 2019, 12:05:41 PM »

Maybe not visually impaired drivers (LOL) but my husband is blind and hates when he can’t adjust the AC, radio, etc from the passenger seat. We just got a Prius and there are no knobs at all - just flat buttons. Tactile dots make a HUGE difference! We have them all over our house since microwaves, stoves, fridges, etc all just have flat panels now without any distinguishable buttons.

I installed a ceiling fan with a wall mounted remote control for the light and fan, after a few weeks I had to add tactile dots to it as I could not find the light button in the dark. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #748 on: April 29, 2019, 12:23:43 PM »

I haven't been in a Model 3 or Prius, but I took a look at the pictures and damn.  I feel like Tesla and Toyota should know better.  Honda and Mazda seem to know what's up.  I don't really ride in new cars that much so don't have a reference point beyond that.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #749 on: April 29, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »

Give it a few more years. It'll happen and be routine.