Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508077 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #650 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
I don't understand why people seem to thing the only use for a garage is to park a car.  I spend a good portion of my leisure time out there and the only time a car is in there is for maintenance.

Right? I have a 950-square foot house with small closets, no basement, and a tiny and difficult attic. Our garage isn't "full" of boxes, but it's where things like luggage, camping gear, all of our yard tools, and husband's homebrewing equipment, workbench, and tool chest are stored. Our cars (older model, purchased used) are parked in the driveway. We can get one car in the garage when husband needs to do an oil change or brake work, but we don't normally park there.

It's also a somewhat common practice in my area for people to turn their garages into three-season living areas (with sofas, etc.).

Eh, I have all of the things you mentioned and we also fit our cars.  Not sure if it just comes down to good organization or less crap

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #651 on: June 27, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »
I don't understand why people seem to thing the only use for a garage is to park a car.  I spend a good portion of my leisure time out there and the only time a car is in there is for maintenance.

Right? I have a 950-square foot house with small closets, no basement, and a tiny and difficult attic. Our garage isn't "full" of boxes, but it's where things like luggage, camping gear, all of our yard tools, and husband's homebrewing equipment, workbench, and tool chest are stored. Our cars (older model, purchased used) are parked in the driveway. We can get one car in the garage when husband needs to do an oil change or brake work, but we don't normally park there.

It's also a somewhat common practice in my area for people to turn their garages into three-season living areas (with sofas, etc.).

Eh, I have all of the things you mentioned and we also fit our cars.  Not sure if it just comes down to good organization or less crap

Probably both. Husband comes from a long line of packrats, and his home brewing equipment takes up a surprising amount of space (to his credit, he’s started selling off the extras). Our garage is 2-car, but barely; to use the workbench at all, a car could only be parked on the far side.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #652 on: June 29, 2018, 04:38:14 AM »

[According to my wife, 66 degrees is life threateningly low

How can anyone possibly sleep in a room that hot?

I'm gasping for air and unable to stay asleep if it's more than 58 degrees [14.5 C] at night. In the summer I can just open a window to cool off, but in the winter they're frozen shut. (I could force them open to escape if there was a fire, but they might need repairs after.)

That is WAY too cold, in summer I dont sleep with aircon on unless it has been over 48C (118F) in winter i will put a heater on about  24C (75F) but will turn it off once Im in bed and cosy. I live in Western Australia where it is maybe under 10 over night in winter so its not that cold.

It's ok @nnls - they're just a little strange over there in 'Murica.

It's ironic, because all the extra energy air conditioners use is contributing to the very global warming they are trying to counter by turning up the cooling....

When your winter temperatures are -20 to -40C and your house is hot at 19C*,  getting  used to summer temperatures takes a bit of time.  Especially when the  temperatures are exaggerated because of the  humidity.  For example, my forecast for the weekend is highs of 29-34, but with the humidex they will feel like 34-45.  Just a few weeks ago my highs were high teens/low 20s and my night time temperatures were 9-12.

So it's all relative. 

*You put the heater on at 24!!!. That is already tropical for the house.  In winter my house is 19 during the day, 17 or 16 at night, 15 when I am away for a few days. Don't want it to get too cold or the pipes will freeze.

I met 2 Canadians from well North of the Arctic Circle once. On a trip to Cambodia where it was 50C for a week straight.

They were fine.

The 2 Aussies from tropical far North Queensland were the ones who couldn't bear it.

An anecdote does not a rule make, but anecdotes are still interesting nonetheless :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #653 on: June 29, 2018, 06:10:18 AM »
When your winter temperatures are -20 to -40C and your house is hot at 19C*,  getting  used to summer temperatures takes a bit of time.  Especially when the  temperatures are exaggerated because of the  humidity.  For example, my forecast for the weekend is highs of 29-34, but with the humidex they will feel like 34-45.  Just a few weeks ago my highs were high teens/low 20s and my night time temperatures were 9-12.

So it's all relative. 

*You put the heater on at 24!!!. That is already tropical for the house.  In winter my house is 19 during the day, 17 or 16 at night, 15 when I am away for a few days. Don't want it to get too cold or the pipes will freeze.

I met 2 Canadians from well North of the Arctic Circle once. On a trip to Cambodia where it was 50C for a week straight.

They were fine.

The 2 Aussies from tropical far North Queensland were the ones who couldn't bear it.

An anecdote does not a rule make, but anecdotes are still interesting nonetheless :)

Oh wow.  I would be in a limp puddle on the sidewalk.

Was it dry heat?  Cambodia, probably not? I've been in 35 and fine, because it was super dry (Calgary in the summer).  Here 28 and high RH has me heading for the cool basement.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #654 on: June 29, 2018, 07:28:35 AM »
DD and I went for a short run this morning.  We live in a pretty nice neighborhood, with houses in the 3200-4000 sq ft range (plus basement).  Ok, that's clownhouse territory by itself, but what's worse is that despite having 2- and 3-car garages, we saw multiple houses with multiple cars (up to 4!) parked in the driveway.

Maybe they drive cheap cars and have a garage full of bikes and tools?

You are too kind. In my neighbourhood, the garages are stacked with boxes and junk.

Can confirm.  I’ve seen into hear garages, because people leave them open all the time for no reason.  My neighborhood has ONE garage wood shop and the rest is junk.  Even my neighbor with a rowboat somehow still fits her two cars in the garage, so I don’t give anyone else a pass.

Driving by a suburban neighborhood I saw a garage sale sign and turned in to check it out. Drove around a bit but didn't see any sale so I was heading out and I saw a guy working in his garage with a bunch of stuff on the lawn. I pulled over and rolled down my window and asked if he was packing up the sale. With a dejected look he said "I'm just cleaning my garage".

To be fair it was pretty well organized but he had a lot of shit.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #655 on: June 29, 2018, 08:02:57 AM »
DD and I went for a short run this morning.  We live in a pretty nice neighborhood, with houses in the 3200-4000 sq ft range (plus basement).  Ok, that's clownhouse territory by itself, but what's worse is that despite having 2- and 3-car garages, we saw multiple houses with multiple cars (up to 4!) parked in the driveway.

I guess I would assume someone with 4 cars in the driveway has guests over.

Or, like my neighbors- has 7 kids, 4 of which are teenagers who have their own cars (they have 9 cars at their house, combination of garage, driveway, and street- 2 for the adults, 4 for the kids, and 3 for the college students from their church who live in the basement.)  But that is the outlier.  Houseguests is the more common reason to see that many cars around here. 

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #656 on: June 29, 2018, 09:49:41 AM »
In the Denver area housing prices (both to purchase and to rent) have gotten so high that large extended families are going in together on the purchase of a house and/or are renting out every single room. There were quite a few neighborhoods we visited while house hunting recently where we chose not to put in an offer on the house because almost all of the houses had 5-6 cars in front of them and in their driveways.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #657 on: June 29, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »

I guess I would assume someone with 4 cars in the driveway has guests over.

Or, like my neighbors- has 7 kids, 4 of which are teenagers who have their own cars (they have 9 cars at their house, combination of garage, driveway, and street- 2 for the adults, 4 for the kids, and 3 for the college students from their church who live in the basement.)  But that is the outlier.  Houseguests is the more common reason to see that many cars around here.

When we're all at home, my nuclear family has 5 cars (and 6 drivers) to one house. That's when we have no visitors, which is rare.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #658 on: June 29, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
We had a GIANT driveway growing up. We could easily fit 3 cars across in our driveway and then an additional in the connected driveway (house was no longer livable). We used all of that space as for years my parents each had a car and then had 4 teenage drivers and occasionally Dad would have the tow truck in the driveway as well if a bad storm was predicted. It was a jigsaw on who got to park where and we luckily had a way from the driveway out through the backyard to the alley (between the garages for the two properties).

Now I'm on the other side of things. We have a 1 car attached garage and a 2 car detached garage that were in place when we bought the house. We own 1 car. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #659 on: June 29, 2018, 09:06:31 PM »
We have a 1050 SF three car garage. We've never parked any of our three paid-for vehicles in it.

Let's see what's inside:

- All of the library book sale signs (12-14 A-frames), which are used quarterly to raise money for the library.

- The 12' canopy used for the book sales.

- Supplies for a civic group that meets 8x/year. I do the hospitality, so eight totes of supplies, plus 4 coffee urns in bags.

- Supplies for our city's annual Community Service Day.

- Signs and banners for our annual neighborhood food drive. (We use the book sale canopy for this.)

- Sixteen matching  wooden folding chairs, all purchased second hand. Used for all kinds of gatherings.

- A motley collection (6?) of assorted folding camping chairs.

- Four six-foot folding tables

- Four four-foot folding tables

- Two folding tables for camping

- Upright freezer

- Refrigerator/freezer

- Two pantries

- 8' Workbench

- Table saw

- Tile saw

- Shop vac

- Lots of built-in cabinets for tools.

- A tall rollaway tool box

- A wooden machinist's tool cabinet

- Lots of tools. Lots.

- DH is a painting contractor. All his supplies, including tons of dropcloths, sprayer, brushes, rollers, etc.

- A 5 hp compressor with a 30 gallon tank.

- 30 gallons of paint for our house's exterior. Been in there since last summer, ahem.

- Camping supplies are on a suspended overhead platform

- So is our luggage

- And my giant canning pots and pressure cooker.

- About 8 boxes of random stuff I acquired when my parents passed away, including my mother's china.

- Two cases of pancake syrup for an upcoming community breakfast.

- Pack-n-play, car seat, table seat, 'cause grandbaby. (All via NextDoor)

....you get the idea.

Notice there's no gardening stuff listed. I can't stand the smell of the gas mower, so all of that stuff is in a shed in the side yard.

We leave our cars parked in the driveway. There is a fair amount of mail and petty theft in our neighborhood. (The downside of being close to transit, alas.) We want it to look like someone's always home.

Oh, and we're a four adult family with three cars. I'm retired and DH walks to work, so it's rare that the driveway's empty.

I forget, what was the question?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:25:30 AM by Dicey »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #660 on: June 29, 2018, 09:32:17 PM »
You guys are right.  I moved my car out of my garage to store some gold bars

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #661 on: June 30, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »
Dicey, you are the local free storage unit for non-profits.  Good on you.

Re "house looks like people are home" - there is only me, so one car - I park mine in the garage all the time.  If it were out some of the time, and not out some of the time, people wold assume I am not there when the car is not there.  This way people sometimes drive by and see me doing things in the yard, and no car - so my car is not a signal.  Of course if there was always at least one car out, it would be different.
In the winter a garage is almost essential -  after having a house with no garage, a garage has been on the necessities list for every house.   AC and a dishwasher were nice but not necessary, a garage was a must.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: June 30, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
We're having some minor electricity problems, so I'm talking to my neighbour, who tells me she had all the wiring replaced last year. I asked her why, since our homes were built at the sime time and we have a recent (2015) safety certificate for our installation so I'm sure the wiring is safe. "I know, but the installation was so old, and I couldn't sleep there knowing the installation wasn't new. It cost a large amount of money that I could hardly afford, €2000, but it was worth it to me."

Now, I don't know exactly when the previous owner (who owned both homes) last replaced the wiring, but I'm guessing it was during a major renovation in the 90s. My insurance company is happy with the safety certificate and the electrician who did work for us last week confirmed there was absolutely nothing to worry about. Replacing one thing with a similar thing, while the first thing is still 100% ok and safe, while it's difficult for you to even pay the replacement, just sounds very stupid to me. Probably the work of some dodgy salesman. It's like replacing a washing machine because it's 10 years old, even though it still works.

Navyfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #663 on: June 30, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
Put us in the camp who parks outside instead of our two car garage.  We have a beat up Silverado and a dented Prius and they would have to be quite intimate to both fit.  We live in the south and park the Prius inside when hail or hurricane comes.  I actually view our street parked '99 Silverado as a DIY traffic calming installation.  We live on a corner lot with two small children and I have really noticed a difference in the speed of traffic in our neighborhood since we started parking there.  Our garage has a workshop, potting table, few bikes, bike trailer, double stroller, jogging stroller, various other strollers.  I think if I get another stroller my husband will threaten to leave lol.  I actually do want a stroller wagon and double jogging stroller...

One device has been life changing.  We Installed a keypad garage entry outside and it has made it so easy to come and go with garbage, bikes, strollers, etc. 

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #664 on: June 30, 2018, 04:42:27 PM »
In our old neighborhood, a lot of people had the morter between the bricks renewed while their was absolutely no reason for it. Monkey see, monkey do.

About 2 times a year I would have a salesmen at my door telling me 'I don't know you heard already but the windows in this neighborhood are old and there is a project to replace many at the same time to save people money'
Me: 'Oh, is the neighborhood council involved in that?'
Him: 'Yes m'am, they are, you probably heard it from them.'
Would give him a look and say: 'I'm  in the neighborhood council board and you are lying, now get of my property!' (I really was). The one that started to insult me after that learned how well we cooperated with the neighborhood police to get aggressive salesmen away from our neighborhood.  The officer had multiple salesmen fired over the years and found fake salesmen.

Navyfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #665 on: June 30, 2018, 07:56:51 PM »
In our old neighborhood, a lot of people had the morter between the bricks renewed while their was absolutely no reason for it. Monkey see, monkey do.

About 2 times a year I would have a salesmen at my door telling me 'I don't know you heard already but the windows in this neighborhood are old and there is a project to replace many at the same time to save people money'
Me: 'Oh, is the neighborhood council involved in that?'
Him: 'Yes m'am, they are, you probably heard it from them.'
Would give him a look and say: 'I'm  in the neighborhood council board and you are lying, now get of my property!' (I really was). The one that started to insult me after that learned how well we cooperated with the neighborhood police to get aggressive salesmen away from our neighborhood.  The officer had multiple salesmen fired over the years and found fake salesmen.

I like your style!  We are in Virginia and put up a cutesy looking "no soliciting please sign" and have never had a sale  since.  We were getting hit hard because ours is the new house on the street of an old City and they must think we are idiots.  I have even overheard salesman describe us as F***ers because of that sign.  Real gentleman.

availablelight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #666 on: July 02, 2018, 07:05:10 AM »

No it wasn't.  The all-time record is (a still sickeningly hot) 42.6C.  Heat index of 50, maybe, but I still doubt it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: July 02, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
With just a washer/dryer, bike and lawn mower I am not sure I could park my small corolla in my single car garage.  I guess I <could> but really there is no point.  So normally I park in the drive way but lately the birds have discovered my cars side mirrors and to prevent all kinds of bird gunk from being left on them I have to park in the street. For the last week now my garage and driveway are car free.

For 2300$ I would probably jump at getting my electrical wiring replaced.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #668 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »

The nice thing is that you’re allowed to decide what you store in buildings on your own property (which is the point). Store only cars in your garage. Turn it into a family room. Put an inflatable pool i there and have your own indoor pool. Turn it into a giant ball pit. Whatever.

I think I just figured out my next entry on the “I don’t get it” thread.

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #669 on: July 02, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »
Just do not put the gold bars in the bouncy ball pit if you do not have good liability insurance...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #670 on: July 02, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »

The nice thing is that you’re allowed to decide what you store in buildings on your own property (which is the point). Store only cars in your garage. Turn it into a family room. Put an inflatable pool i there and have your own indoor pool. Turn it into a giant ball pit. Whatever.

Lol, I seriously considered posting this to the “has this forum gone soft” thread

OP complains that most people in his neighborhood don’t park cars in garages because they have too much crap

A bunch of users respond with lists of the crap they keep in their garage

This is MMM, we used to give facepunches to people who have too much stuff.  Remember: their stuff is shit, your shit is stuff

Nobody gets a pass on antimustahian behavior just because they own the property.  This falls under the “if someone makes a million dollars per year, what’s wrong with them buying something frivolous and expensive?  It’s their money, after all”
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:01:47 PM by dragoncar »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #671 on: July 02, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »

Lol, I seriously considered posting this to the “has this forum gone soft” thread

OP complains that most people in his neighborhood don’t park cars in garages because they have too much crap

This is MMM, we used to give facepunches to people who have too much stuff.  Remember: their stuff is shit, your shit is stuff

Nobody gets a pass on antimustahian behavior just because they own the property.  This falls under the “if someone makes a million dollars per year, what’s wrong with them buying something frivolous and expensive?  It’s their money, after all”
I get your point. My point is that post-FIRE, I can afford to give my time, money and space to help causes I love. Funny, I forgot to mention there are bikes in there, too. Probably wouldn`t hurt to mention that all our "shit" is neatly organized and stored in such a way as to be easily accessible. There is plenty of clear floor space; it's just not shaped like a car, lol.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: July 02, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »

You got me. I'm not adequately Mustachian. I'm also self-employed and an atheist. I'm bad at following rules.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #673 on: July 02, 2018, 12:45:11 PM »

I get your point. My point is that post-FIRE, I can afford to give my time, money and space to help causes I love. Funny, I forgot to mention there are bikes in there, too. Probably wouldn`t hurt to mention that all our "shit" is neatly organized and stored in such a way as to be easily accessible. There is plenty of clear floor space; it's just not shaped like a car, lol.

I think storing large amounts of supplies for charitable purposes is an extreme exception rather than the rule

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #674 on: July 02, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »
On my block of about 40 houses, probably 30-35 have 2-car garages, and of that, I can only think of 3 that put 2 cars in those garages, including us. 

That being said, our houses are all old (built in the mid-late 1950s) with very small garages (my 2-car is basically the exact width of the garage door, the frame for the garage door on one side is right up against the garage wall).  We can only put 2 cars in because one of our cars is very small (2 seat sports car), and I'm crazy about getting two cars in the garage so I maximize storage, etc.  We also have a shed for the lawn stuff, kids toys, etc.  If you don't have a shed, you would be hard pressed to fit two cars plus things like a lawn mower in our garages.  Plus our old houses tend to be small (1200sq ft plus a 500sq ft basement and a crawl space), no huge basements for dry storage of random crap.  Lots of families park their cars outside in the spring/summer/fall and then squeeze to get one of their cars in the winter, having shoved bikes, kids toys, mowers, etc etc all into the far corners of the garage.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #675 on: July 02, 2018, 01:03:43 PM »

Hasn't Mr. Money Mustache himself built an entire outbuilding for his stuff...?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #676 on: July 02, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »

Yes, and he admits his life is an exploding volcano of wastefulness.  Mine is too, but that doesn’t mean I come to this forum to defend my expensive collection of whatever.  We typically try to improve here

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #677 on: July 02, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »

You got me. I'm not adequately Mustachian. I'm also self-employed and an atheist. I'm bad at following rules.

Stay woke

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #678 on: July 02, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »

Yes, and he admits his life is an exploding volcano of wastefulness.  Mine is too, but that doesn’t mean I come to this forum to defend my expensive collection of whatever.  We typically try to improve here

There’s stuff and there’s stuff. If your “stuff” is tools that allow various types of DIY activities that save money, that’s different than stuff that exists to take up space and consume cash.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #679 on: July 02, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »
There’s also tools and “tools”.  I’m not going to call out any specific person, but some of the descriptions I saw in this thread were eye rolling

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #680 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:53 PM »

I'm gasping for air and unable to stay asleep if it's more than 58 degrees [14.5 C] at night. In the summer I can just open a window to cool off, but in the winter they're frozen shut. (I could force them open to escape if there was a fire, but they might need repairs after.)

That is WAY too cold, in summer I dont sleep with aircon on unless it has been over 48C (118F) in winter i will put a heater on about  24C (75F) but will turn it off once Im in bed and cosy. I live in Western Australia where it is maybe under 10 over night in winter so its not that cold.

It's ironic, because all the extra energy air conditioners use is contributing to the very global warming they are trying to counter by turning up the cooling....

So it's all relative. 

I wrote that in a confusing way, I set the heater temperature to 24, when it is cold. so at night when its below 10 degrees.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #681 on: July 03, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »

So it's all relative. 

I wrote that in a confusing way, I set the heater temperature to 24, when it is cold. so at night when its below 10 degrees.

OK, I got that.  How hot does the house actually get?  I should have written "You put the heater up to 24?" Or  "You have the thermostat set at 24?"  Here the thing is, in winter if your house is at 24, when you go out you will feel the cold even more, because going from hot to cold (24 to -20) is just too much.  Going from cool (19) to cold (-20) is still a shock but not as much of one.

In spring and fall when the outside low is 10o, if the house is above 20o I open all the windows so that lovely cool 10o air can come in and cool things down.  You and I obviously have our personal body comfort levels set differently. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #682 on: July 03, 2018, 10:54:43 AM »

I have all those things, but no garage, no attic, no basement.  Just an 8x10 shed!  My husband decided to store our Xmas decorations and camping gear under the porch.  There's a small screen window 2 ft x 3 ft or so, that is screwed on to the side.  He put down bricks.  It has it's own "foundation", so to speak.  So, when we need the stuff - get out the screwdriver, unscrew the screen, grab a flash light, climb in, find the stuff.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #683 on: July 03, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »

Eh you know, I can see with the OP and the size of the houses.  But in the general sense, you can't compare a family of 4 in 1000 sf using a garage for storage vs. a family of 2 in 2000 sf using a garage for storage.  Also can't really compare a place with 4 seasons to a place with 1 season.  (We can survive with no garage and a small house because it's nice out almost all the time.)  4 seasons and you need to park the cars indoors in the winter AND you need extra space for winter gear.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #684 on: July 03, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
Sure, it’s not comparable.  Which is why I’m baffled by all the people defending their one car garage with tools in it compared to the 2 or 3 car garages full of crap that op complained a kut

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #685 on: July 03, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »

So it's all relative. 

OK, I got that.  How hot does the house actually get?  I should have written "You put the heater up to 24?" Or  "You have the thermostat set at 24?"  Here the thing is, in winter if your house is at 24, when you go out you will feel the cold even more, because going from hot to cold (24 to -20) is just too much.  Going from cool (19) to cold (-20) is still a shock but not as much of one.

In spring and fall when the outside low is 10o, if the house is above 20o I open all the windows so that lovely cool 10o air can come in and cool things down.  You and I obviously have our personal body comfort levels set differently.

my heater goes on at night when I am not going anywhere, but it would be about 3-10 degrees outside when I put the heater on. But yes my body temperature means I feel the cold pretty bad, and enjoy the heat, 20 to me is cold.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #686 on: July 04, 2018, 06:17:35 AM »

my heater goes on at night when I am not going anywhere, but it would be about 3-10 degrees outside when I put the heater on. But yes my body temperature means I feel the cold pretty bad, and enjoy the heat, 20 to me is cold.

You are acclimated to your location, which is good, as I am acclimated to mine.   Summer is short, winter is long, summer is the time to get ready for winter.  You live in Perth, Australia.  Never move to Perth, Ontario, you would freeze to death.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: July 04, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »

You are acclimated to your location, which is good, as I am acclimated to mine.   Summer is short, winter is long, summer is the time to get ready for winter.  You live in Perth, Australia.  Never move to Perth, Ontario, you would freeze to death.

I actually struggle with Perth winters,  I try to spend most of winter not in Perth (either up North at work or go holiday somewhere) I would really struggle if I went anywhere thats actually cold

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #688 on: July 04, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »

I actually struggle with Perth winters,  I try to spend most of winter not in Perth (either up North at work or go holiday somewhere) I would really struggle if I went anywhere thats actually cold

Winters that stay above freezing sound heavenly.  I found your up north plenty hot when I was there in February many years ago (Port Douglas down to Sydney) - I  know, your summer.  If you ever come to Canada, come in July/August, we are definitely hot then.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: July 04, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »

Winters that stay above freezing sound heavenly.  I found your up north plenty hot when I was there in February many years ago (Port Douglas down to Sydney) - I  know, your summer.  If you ever come to Canada, come in July/August, we are definitely hot then.

Yes if I come to Canada it would be a summer holiday, it has the added bonus of escaping the cold Australian winters

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #690 on: July 05, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »
My neighbors have a 5th wheel they use (by their own admission) 3-4 times per year. They also have a boat they use 3-4 time per year. Both of which never travel more than an hour away. They recently decided they need to be able to pull both at the same time, but didn't feel comfortable pulling the boat behind the fifth wheel. Apparently the boat is too large to be pulled by the wife's mid-sized SUV. So, they bought another truck! They also have a "fun to drive" car (C4 corvette).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #691 on: July 05, 2018, 03:03:54 PM »

You put the heater on when it is 24C?  Turn on AC only when it is 48C?  OOFH.  That is hot.  That is like, heatwave in the desert hot..   Maybe you guys down under have a different scale or something.  :-)

It is 27C inside right now, and I am eyeing the fan to turn it on as I feel a bit too warm and can't open the window (because the blinds are down to stop sun shining in).   I don't have AC but when it gets to 32+C inside, we head to the basement or library or shade outside.  It is only like that here for a few weeks, though.   In the winter, I find 15C inside is pretty cool/ not nice if I am working on my computer all day, but fine if I am doing chores.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:19:25 PM by Goldielocks »

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #692 on: July 05, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »

You put the heater on when it is 24C?  Turn on AC only when it is 48C?  OOFH.  That is hot.  That is like, heatwave in the desert hot..   Maybe you guys down under have a different scale or something.  :-)

It is 27C inside right now, and I am eyeing the fan to turn it on as I feel a bit too warm and can't open the window (because the blinds are down to stop sun shining in).   I don't have AC but when it gets to 32+C inside, we head to the basement or library or shade outside.  It is only like that here for a few weeks, though.   In the winter, I find 15C inside is pretty cool/ not nice if I am working on my computer all day, but fine if I am doing chores.

no I set my heater to 24, when its cold out. But my definition of cold out is different to most people. I was born in the Pilbara and my family is from the Kimberley  so I feel like I am genetically predisposed to enjoy the warm? Even most of the people at my work (which is in the Pilbara) think I am melodramatic about the cold

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #693 on: July 23, 2018, 08:02:59 AM »
Not really overheard, but it's just there.

My neighbour not only has a toy (a snowmobile) that is it worth more than our fanciest car (an 8 year old Corolla), but the accessory (the trailer for the snowmobile) for that fancy toy is also worth more than the car. 

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: July 23, 2018, 08:43:20 PM »
An argument not to get carried away with pursuit of wealth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQfuq_zz1Jk

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #695 on: July 30, 2018, 08:12:02 PM »
I don’t have a garage. But I do have too much crap in the basement.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #696 on: September 26, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »
Reviving this one today; it's been awhile.

We have a neighbor who has ALL the toys; we were talking with our other neighbor recently about it. We figure either there's family money or they must be leveraged to the hilt. The funny thing this morning is when neighbor #2 (who is getting ready to buy out $40,000 on a giant SUV lease...) was talking about how ridiculous the car that neighbor #1 just bought (100k Land Rover, brand new without plates yet...to go with their brand new Honda Pilot purchased earlier this year...). I mean, you know it's over the top when the neighbor buying out a 40k lease is the "reasonable" one questioning the other's decision.

But seriously, how DO these neighbors up the street have the money? We know what they both do for a living and the numbers don't add up. At least the one with the lease is a very successful business owner with 401k and mega backdoor roth maxed; aside from the clown vehicle they are pretty smart with their finances. We have talked about it on occasion with them. We are actually friends with both of them and we like neighbor #1 and all; our middle child and their oldest are very good friends. I just hope that there IS family money or something, because it just seems mathematically unsustainable otherwise.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #697 on: September 26, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
Reviving this one today; it's been awhile.

We have a neighbor who has ALL the toys; we were talking with our other neighbor recently about it. We figure either there's family money or they must be leveraged to the hilt. The funny thing this morning is when neighbor #2 (who is getting ready to buy out $40,000 on a giant SUV lease...) was talking about how ridiculous the car that neighbor #1 just bought (100k Land Rover, brand new without plates yet...to go with their brand new Honda Pilot purchased earlier this year...). I mean, you know it's over the top when the neighbor buying out a 40k lease is the "reasonable" one questioning the other's decision.

But seriously, how DO these neighbors up the street have the money? We know what they both do for a living and the numbers don't add up. At least the one with the lease is a very successful business owner with 401k and mega backdoor roth maxed; aside from the clown vehicle they are pretty smart with their finances. We have talked about it on occasion with them. We are actually friends with both of them and we like neighbor #1 and all; our middle child and their oldest are very good friends. I just hope that there IS family money or something, because it just seems mathematically unsustainable otherwise.
I know someone in a similar situation.  Their answer is both family money AND leveraged to the hilt. >_>  Their house, cars, and their kids' stuff are paid for by mommy and daddy (on both sides), and their W-2 money all goes towards toys and stupid bullshit with little left over.  This couple is in their early 30s and making good money (150k+ easy).  They are in the perfect situation to sock away a shitload of money but somehow they're doing the opposite.  Never underestimate someone's ability to spend all their money, all their parents' money, and all the money the bank will give them.  But the husband is frugal because he limits how much he buys lunch at work.  OK, bro.  Whatever you say.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: October 02, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
One of my neighbors have had their car sitting in the driveway for a few days with a cloth of some sort draped over the driver side window. I presume that the window is broken. There has been some pretty heavy rain over the last few days so I'm sure that didn't do a great job of keeping moisture out of the cabin. The kicker though is that they have a two-car garage. How much do they have stuffed in there that they can't use it to shelter a single car, even temporarily?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #699 on: October 02, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
One of my neighbors have had their car sitting in the driveway for a few days with a cloth of some sort draped over the driver side window. I presume that the window is broken. There has been some pretty heavy rain over the last few days so I'm sure that didn't do a great job of keeping moisture out of the cabin. The kicker though is that they have a two-car garage. How much do they have stuffed in there that they can't use it to shelter a single car, even temporarily?

There is one thing that will get my neighbors to rearrange their garages: a new Tesla. There seems to have been a delivery recently, as we have at least 3 new ones just in our neighborhood. You can tell them apart because the young couples are standing there with their newly cleaned out garage open, staring at their new purchase. The one closest to us still drives the heavy gas sports car everyday, though, so I am not sure what the Tesla is for besides admiring.