Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508155 times)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #600 on: March 07, 2018, 06:06:27 PM »
I took a walk around the neighborhood today and heard one of the houses running their A/C. It was a high of only 66 degrees here today!

Are you sure this isn't a warmth pump? A warmth pump can be used as airco as well.

Definitely a heat pump.  According to my wife, 66 degrees is life threateningly low

It's A/C. All the houses in our neighborhood use gas for heat.

There is one reason that I accept for running A/C rather than opening windows in otherwise nice weather: allergies. If you're allergic to pollen, etc and you open the windows, you're pulling all that stuff inside. Depending on the severity of your allergies, I get it. It can be cheaper in the long run to run the A/C instead of paying for medical treatment and drugs to deal with the symptoms.

Yeah, but even without opening windows it was cool enough that A/C was unnecessary. Our house temperature only got up to 72 degrees.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:32 AM »
Might have just been an accident.  I once ran the AC all day in 50 degree weather because I thought I was turning the heat off but my wife had already done that so I pushed the switch one more to the “cool” setting and the schedule had never been set since we don’t really use AC so the setpoint was really low.  Pretty expensive mistake

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2018, 06:29:42 AM »
Might have just been an accident.  I once ran the AC all day in 50 degree weather because I thought I was turning the heat off but my wife had already done that so I pushed the switch one more to the “cool” setting and the schedule had never been set since we don’t really use AC so the setpoint was really low.  Pretty expensive mistake

I hope so. They also have a Hummer parked in their driveway so they're clearly a paragon of efficiency otherwise.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2018, 08:14:55 AM »
I took a walk around the neighborhood today and heard one of the houses running their A/C. It was a high of only 66 degrees here today!

Are you sure this isn't a warmth pump? A warmth pump can be used as airco as well.

Definitely a heat pump.  According to my wife, 66 degrees is life threateningly low

There is one reason that I accept for running A/C rather than opening windows in otherwise nice weather: allergies. If you're allergic to pollen, etc and you open the windows, you're pulling all that stuff inside. Depending on the severity of your allergies, I get it. It can be cheaper in the long run to run the A/C instead of paying for medical treatment and drugs to deal with the symptoms.

Yeah, but even without opening windows it was cool enough that A/C was unnecessary. Our house temperature only got up to 72 degrees.
It got up to 75 in my apartment this last weekend.  And I didn't even cook anything big that would heat it up.  I just turned on a fan though. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2018, 11:03:18 AM »

Second reason, to lower the humidity, which is my one reason.
 I'm in the Florida panhandle.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: March 08, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
Second reason, to lower the humidity, which is my one reason.
 I'm in the Florida panhandle.

Ditto here on the Texas Gulf Coast. The temperature itself may be fine, but when the house interior starts going musty that air needs to get dried out.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: March 08, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »

Yes it is pine pollen season in the SE right now.  And by pollen I mean my sister's car changes from Black to Yellow.

Pine pollen is too large to commonly cause allergies. There are exemptions, as to every type of allergy, but it is relatively rare

(Pine is the big blob - triangle with wings - in the upper left area)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #607 on: March 08, 2018, 10:33:14 PM »
Pine pollen -- i definitely have a pine pollen allergy.   Triggered by a huge tree immediately outside my bedroom window.   I had always reacted to touching pine trees (needles / sap / fresh cut wood) but not the pollen, until I was doused with it for many weeks without realizing why I was having trouble.

Pine pollen is definitely small enough to get into my nose, that's for certain.  It may be true that it is less likely to be blown large distances as it falls to the ground rather quickly or is sorted out by rain more easily, but when you live under many large pine trees, it falls on you first.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #608 on: March 08, 2018, 11:32:42 PM »
My DH is allergic to some pollen. In our bedroom we have a wall ventilator with a filter. This ventilator mearures CO2 in the bedroom and bliws in outside, filtered air when needed. Yesterday we changed the filter and it was good to see the difference between the old and the new filter. The filter works.

When it comes to allergy, doctors say the allergy medisin is something you should start using early in the season. It hardly has side effects and is pretty safe to use.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:35:18 AM by Linda_Norway »

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: March 09, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »
Pine pollen -- i definitely have a pine pollen allergy.   Triggered by a huge tree immediately outside my bedroom window.   I had always reacted to touching pine trees (needles / sap / fresh cut wood) but not the pollen, until I was doused with it for many weeks without realizing why I was having trouble.

Pine pollen is definitely small enough to get into my nose, that's for certain.  It may be true that it is less likely to be blown large distances as it falls to the ground rather quickly or is sorted out by rain more easily, but when you live under many large pine trees, it falls on you first.

It is not about how far it travels, but about how easily your immune system is tricked. I don’t doubt your allergy, but on average, grass, birch, and some of the other smaller pollen strains are much more common causes of allergies.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2018, 02:45:59 PM »
IDK...  maybe pine allergies run in my family, but I definitely have welts from handling pine (other than the bark), so I wasn't shocked when it triggered by the pollen, too.  I am also allergic to grass pollen (but not touch) to a lesser extent.  DS is allergic to touching grass (welts on his skin when younger, IDK if it still happens, we don't sit on grass in the summer, you know?)

I have heard the same thing about cottonwood pollen size... and yet, the allergies for some people are only when cottonwood is blowing, and are worse next to the heaviest cottonwood tree areas, rather than near a mixed grove or open area...   you start to notice these things closely when they cause emergency room visits due to acuteness and severity.

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #611 on: March 23, 2018, 01:26:35 PM »
My neighbor just had a milk shake from Sonic delivered via Postmates.  The Sonic is a little less than a mile away.  The Postmates driver parked right behind her car to make the delivery.  $3.99 delivery fee.  The mind boggles.
Related, not my neighbor but my cubicle neighbor at work, has multiple times offered to buy me lunch because he needs to spend like $4 more dollars to meet the minimum for free delivery from Cluster Truck. 

The woman who lives across the street from me had late night deliveries from Insomniac Cookies (cold milk and freshly baked cookies delivered until 4am) on a regular basis when she was pregnant.  I feel like she gets a pass? 

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #612 on: March 23, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »
My neighbor just had a milk shake from Sonic delivered via Postmates.  The Sonic is a little less than a mile away.  The Postmates driver parked right behind her car to make the delivery.  $3.99 delivery fee. 

Close the thread. You win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There really are no words to describe that level of laziness and gross stupidity.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #613 on: March 23, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
The woman who lives across the street from me had late night deliveries from Insomniac Cookies (cold milk and freshly baked cookies delivered until 4am) on a regular basis when she was pregnant.  I feel like she gets a pass?

I...um... I mean, being pregnant is hard. The odd random treat, sure. Throwing some money at convenience, sure. I'm just about eight months pregnant and am looking for things I can buy that will make my life easier and more pleasant right now just to prop me up for the next five weeks (and beyond...)* But being pregnant doesn't make you suddenly incapable of thought. If it's happening regularly, what's wrong with buying a bit bottle of milk and a big box of cookies? Or even baking a batch yourself? Or even asking someone else to bake for you? People love helping pregnant women! Sure, pregnancy is a time to relax about a lot of stuff, but it's not a free pass to not have to function as a vaguely human being at all. As my husband said to our friend when she expressed surprise that I was still cooking: "She's pregnant, not disabled." I need help lifting stuff and picking stuff up off the floor, but I can stir a pan of carrots as well as the next person.

*Haven't actually found that many. Industrial quantities of Gaviscon, slightly more packaged food (but mainly snacks rather than full meals), some more clothes I can fit into... Oh, and starting maternity leave on Monday, a month before I'm actually due. Woop woop Mustachianism!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #614 on: March 23, 2018, 07:35:58 PM »
My neighbor just had a milk shake from Sonic delivered via Postmates.  The Sonic is a little less than a mile away.  The Postmates driver parked right behind her car to make the delivery.  $3.99 delivery fee.  The mind boggles.
Related, not my neighbor but my cubicle neighbor at work, has multiple times offered to buy me lunch because he needs to spend like $4 more dollars to meet the minimum for free delivery from Cluster Truck. 

There was just a promotion for a free Postmates delivery (T-mobile tuesdays I think?) so maybe they just wanted to try it out for free

Reminds me I have to use my free Amex monthly uber credit for some eats -- only time I actually order food delivered.  Driver must think I'm insane since I order from places .5 miles away

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #615 on: March 26, 2018, 08:31:32 AM »
Same neighbors.  Yesterday morning's delivery was 2 coffee drinks from Starbucks, and a large bag from the boutique local NY-style bagel place (where a toasted bagel + lox + schmear is ~$10).  It would take husband and I ~12 minutes to walk there. 

(I swear I don't spy on my neighbors, I just work at home and enjoy sitting on my porch throughout the day, and the packaging has made it really obvious where they're ordering from.)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #616 on: April 23, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
Heard at my front door:
Two guys from big insurance company telling me that they are introducing a new system. When your neighbour has a fire, get a warning. As many neighbours as possible should be in the system.

We live pretty spread, but there are some trees between the houses, so in theory a fire could spread. It is not for free.
I think that every house has smoke detectors, as we all legally need to have them.
I hope the rest of the neighbours will also recline. Otherwise we might be the only ones reclining. The stupid company is using collective pressure to say yes. Annoying for a product that we don't really need. Apart from the tiny chance that there is a fire and no one has time to warn the neighbours.

It was a bit of an other matter when we finally got offered fiber net for internett. Many people in the neighbourhood were desperate for it and we needed 75% to sign for it, for the internet company to put a cable in our street. One of my colleagues still doesn't have fiber because too many people in his street said no to fiber.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #617 on: April 23, 2018, 02:10:39 PM »
Heard at my front door:
Two guys from big insurance company telling me that they are introducing a new system. When your neighbour has a fire, get a warning. As many neighbours as possible should be in the system.

We live pretty spread, but there are some trees between the houses, so in theory a fire could spread. It is not for free.
I think that every house has smoke detectors, as we all legally need to have them.
I hope the rest of the neighbours will also recline. Otherwise we might be the only ones reclining. The stupid company is using collective pressure to say yes. Annoying for a product that we don't really need. Apart from the tiny chance that there is a fire and no one has time to warn the neighbours.

It was a bit of an other matter when we finally got offered fiber net for internett. Many people in the neighbourhood were desperate for it and we needed 75% to sign for it, for the internet company to put a cable in our street. One of my colleagues still doesn't have fiber because too many people in his street said no to fiber.

Um, if there's a big fire spreading through the neighborhood, everyone's going to be getting out. Decent chance that people will be pounding on doors to warn others. Feel free to decline.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #618 on: April 23, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »
Heard at my front door:

Um, if there's a big fire spreading through the neighborhood, everyone's going to be getting out. Decent chance that people will be pounding on doors to warn others. Feel free to decline.

It depends on whether the neighboring woods or grass catch fire. If it does, be advised that forest and grass fires move faster than humans or animals can run. Rural driveways are lo-o-ong, and they're seldom well maintained. It takes time to navigate down them. So, if you're trying to outrun a fire you can't afford to turn into an overgrown, rutted road, bounce along for a minute or two, pound on the door, wait until someone hems and haws long enough to answer, and then try to get back to the road while praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that the fire hasn't closed you in. If the fire reaches the intersection of the driveway and the road before you do, you die along with whoever and whatever you were trying to save.

Nobody's going to risk his or her life, or the lives of the children and animals in the car, to pound on someone else's door. Won't happen. The thing to do is to get on the CB radio, call a Breaker 1-9 or whatever channel you're on, and announce the fire and the location while you're burning rubber down the road. That way you stand a chance of getting the message to people who are in their homes or vehicles; it gets broadcasted even into places cell phones don't have reception.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #619 on: April 24, 2018, 08:10:20 AM »
Heard at my front door:

It depends on whether the neighboring woods or grass catch fire. If it does, be advised that forest and grass fires move faster than humans or animals can run. Rural driveways are lo-o-ong, and they're seldom well maintained. It takes time to navigate down them. So, if you're trying to outrun a fire you can't afford to turn into an overgrown, rutted road, bounce along for a minute or two, pound on the door, wait until someone hems and haws long enough to answer, and then try to get back to the road while praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that the fire hasn't closed you in. If the fire reaches the intersection of the driveway and the road before you do, you die along with whoever and whatever you were trying to save.

Nobody's going to risk his or her life, or the lives of the children and animals in the car, to pound on someone else's door. Won't happen. The thing to do is to get on the CB radio, call a Breaker 1-9 or whatever channel you're on, and announce the fire and the location while you're burning rubber down the road. That way you stand a chance of getting the message to people who are in their homes or vehicles; it gets broadcasted even into places cell phones don't have reception.

And this why I don't live in rural areas.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #620 on: April 24, 2018, 08:45:08 AM »
Heard at my front door:

And this why I don't live in rural areas.

Well said.

The notion that rural life is somehow safer is, in my opinion, quite dangerous. The trouble with living in a rural area is that if you're a victim of a crime it (a) won't be solved due to lack of witnesses, and (b) was probably committed by someone who knows you. Furthermore, services like 911 frequently aren't available in case of a medical emergency.

I fantasize a bit about life off the grid, way out in the boonies, but I doubt that I'd ever actually do it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #621 on: April 24, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »

I used Postmates once while I was working, and was sick and therefore stuck in a hotel room. 
It cost me $23 to get a burrito and drink from Chipotle. Something that usually costs like $10.
(I just checked the reciept: $1.99 small cart fee (I could have added chips for this same amount, but I really didn't want them); $2.02 service fee, $5.99 delivery fee, $3.01 tip).

On expense account; whatever. I needed food; I really did not want to try to get up, and even walk to the subway across the street.
Doing this for something you could go out and get yourself.  It boggles the mind.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: May 29, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
Heard at a holiday BBQ I was at over the weekend-

"
Wife: I don't cook much because I feel a sense of guilt if I can't cook a full meal with an appetizer, vegetable, side dish,  dessert to go along with the main dish. So I just don't.
Husband: Yup, so we go out or order in food on most nights...
"

After some prodding, I discovered that "most nights" = typically every night except for a couple of times a month. That's 100s of extra dollars down the drain all because of a sense of "guilt". I'd also doubt that most of their take-out meals meet all of their requirements for a "real" meal...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #623 on: May 29, 2018, 03:27:48 PM »
Heard at a holiday BBQ I was at over the weekend-

"
Wife: I don't cook much because I feel a sense of guilt if I can't cook a full meal with an appetizer, vegetable, side dish,  dessert to go along with the main dish. So I just don't.
Husband: Yup, so we go out or order in food on most nights...
"

After some prodding, I discovered that "most nights" = typically every night except for a couple of times a month. That's 100s of extra dollars down the drain all because of a sense of "guilt". I'd also doubt that most of their take-out meals meet all of their requirements for a "real" meal...

Besides eating out every night, they also order a main, appetizer, vegetable, side dish, and dessert every time they eat out?  How obese are they?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #624 on: May 30, 2018, 10:31:58 AM »
May 2018 has been an extremely sunny month where I live. The neighbour house still has solar panel holders installed on his garage, but the panels themselves are still standing in an other neighbour's garage, indoor not in use.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #625 on: June 01, 2018, 12:00:17 AM »
May 2018 has been an extremely sunny month where I live. The neighbour house still has solar panel holders installed on his garage, but the panels themselves are still standing in an other neighbour's garage, indoor not in use.

Keeping your solar panels indoors actually increases their lifespan.  True story.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #626 on: June 01, 2018, 12:27:36 AM »

Keeping your solar panels indoors actually increases their lifespan.  True story.
Best use them only at night

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #627 on: June 01, 2018, 07:57:21 AM »

They are more efficient the lower the temperature is, so they're just increasing efficiency. 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #628 on: June 01, 2018, 06:38:36 PM »
Because my neighbours have so many lights and keep them switched on all evening, I don't need to use my own electricity to use the bathroom or grab something from the bedroom after dark. Winning.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #629 on: June 02, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »

The notion that rural life is somehow safer is, in my opinion, quite dangerous. The trouble with living in a rural area is that if you're a victim of a crime it (a) won't be solved due to lack of witnesses, and (b) was probably committed by someone who knows you. Furthermore, services like 911 frequently aren't available in case of a medical emergency.

I fantasize a bit about life off the grid, way out in the boonies, but I doubt that I'd ever actually do it.

Agreed. Then you are also much more likely to be a car accident if you live in a rural area, one factor being that rural people spend so much more time in a car than their urban counterparts.  Then if you are injured or have a life threatening condition like a heart attack - it takes longer to get to a hospital, which decreases your chances of survival. But then people think city driving is so dangerous. 

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/roadway-and-environment/fatalityfacts/roadway-and-environment

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #630 on: June 02, 2018, 09:27:13 AM »
Earlier this week, a big warm front came through and we had a couple very hot days.  The weather switched back to more normal for this time of year yesterday.   

Apparently the neighbors on both sides didn't hear the news or even bother to step outside.  I was using the opportunity of the cooler weather to finish up some spring gardening and noticed the neighbors on both sides have their A/C going.  It is 61 degrees out with lower humidity.   I'm wearing a jacket.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #631 on: June 02, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
Earlier this week, a big warm front came through and we had a couple very hot days.  The weather switched back to more normal for this time of year yesterday.   

Apparently the neighbors on both sides didn't hear the news or even bother to step outside.  I was using the opportunity of the cooler weather to finish up some spring gardening and noticed the neighbors on both sides have their A/C going.  It is 61 degrees out with lower humidity.   I'm wearing a jacket.

if only there was some kind of device that would only turn on the A/C when the temperature gets above a threshold

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: June 03, 2018, 06:19:55 AM »

They are more efficient the lower the temperature is, so they're just increasing efficiency.

:-)

The neighbours themselves have been living in south america for almost a year now. Their house is not rented out and is standing empty.

I have understood they can just make ends meet. The wife is working remotely for a Norwegian salary. The husband is trying to sell a software product in south America. Goid chance that his company will make money on it. I think he is a co-owner and I know he is the software programmer. They have hired a local girl for cleaning and making meals. Well, maybe that pays off as long as the wife earns Norwegian income, probably many times the local income.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #633 on: June 03, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »

if only there was some kind of device that would only turn on the A/C when the temperature gets above a threshold

The people on the one side have central air, so while I did hear theirs cycle on and off, I assume it was less than normal due to the lower temp.  Although when the temp outside goes from 87 degrees in the daytime to 61 in the daytime in less than 48 hours, it is much more effective just to open all the windows than to run the a/c.  I know allergies are not an issue. 

The guy on the other side is home alone while the wife and kids are away for the weekend.  I know she would be PISSED if she knew he had done this.  They have a window a/c and it has been running non-stop since she left on friday night and I haven't seen him outside at all. 

Yesterday it went up to a blistering 68 degrees.  Today it was a scorching high of 74.  It is not supposed to be over 80 all week.  I suspect the a/c will be on right up until she returns.  I'm tempted to text her and tattle on him, b/c I consider her a friend.  But stirring the pot in other people's marriages is a line I won't cross unless it is something very important. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #634 on: June 03, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »

The people on the one side have central air, so while I did hear theirs cycle on and off, I assume it was less than normal due to the lower temp.  Although when the temp outside goes from 87 degrees in the daytime to 61 in the daytime in less than 48 hours, it is much more effective just to open all the windows than to run the a/c.  I know allergies are not an issue. 

The guy on the other side is home alone while the wife and kids are away for the weekend.  I know she would be PISSED if she knew he had done this.  They have a window a/c and it has been running non-stop since she left on friday night and I haven't seen him outside at all. 

Yesterday it went up to a blistering 68 degrees.  Today it was a scorching high of 74.  It is not supposed to be over 80 all week.  I suspect the a/c will be on right up until she returns.  I'm tempted to text her and tattle on him, b/c I consider her a friend.  But stirring the pot in other people's marriages is a line I won't cross unless it is something very important.

It was 100 here today.  I finally had to turn on the A/C.  Le sigh.  Climate change sucks.  I used to never use the A/C and now it's several days per year!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: June 04, 2018, 12:37:55 AM »

Air-to-air warmth pump. You can just program in that it should keep your house at a certain temperature. I will blow in warm air in the winter and can blow in cold air in the summer if you allow it to do so.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #636 on: June 07, 2018, 08:59:20 AM »

Air-to-air warmth pump. You can just program in that it should keep your house at a certain temperature. I will blow in warm air in the winter and can blow in cold air in the summer if you allow it to do so.
There's also an option for an air to water heatpump, heat is exchanged with the outside air which is used to heat/cool the water inside your radiator or underfloor heaters. Especially the underfloor heaters are more efficient than air to air because it also heats the mass of your flooring which in turn keeps your house at the desired temperature even if you switch the heater off for a while.

Regardless, you should keep a minimum temp for winter and a maximum for summer, otherwise the pump will keep running at the cutoff...

monte0930

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #637 on: June 07, 2018, 10:05:30 AM »
[According to my wife, 66 degrees is life threateningly low

How can anyone possibly sleep in a room that hot?

I'm gasping for air and unable to stay asleep if it's more than 58 degrees [14.5 C] at night. In the summer I can just open a window to cool off, but in the winter they're frozen shut. (I could force them open to escape if there was a fire, but they might need repairs after.)

Here in AZ I cool my room to 78 at night during the summer, opening a window to cool down is not an option since the overnight low can be 82-87 degrees.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: June 10, 2018, 09:49:55 PM »

I'm gasping for air and unable to stay asleep if it's more than 58 degrees [14.5 C] at night. In the summer I can just open a window to cool off, but in the winter they're frozen shut. (I could force them open to escape if there was a fire, but they might need repairs after.)

That is WAY too cold, in summer I dont sleep with aircon on unless it has been over 48C (118F) in winter i will put a heater on about  24C (75F) but will turn it off once Im in bed and cosy. I live in Western Australia where it is maybe under 10 over night in winter so its not that cold. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #639 on: June 27, 2018, 02:36:02 AM »

That is WAY too cold, in summer I dont sleep with aircon on unless it has been over 48C (118F) in winter i will put a heater on about  24C (75F) but will turn it off once Im in bed and cosy. I live in Western Australia where it is maybe under 10 over night in winter so its not that cold.

It's ok @nnls - they're just a little strange over there in 'Murica.

It's ironic, because all the extra energy air conditioners use is contributing to the very global warming they are trying to counter by turning up the cooling....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #640 on: June 27, 2018, 07:15:21 AM »

It's ok @nnls - they're just a little strange over there in 'Murica.

It's ironic, because all the extra energy air conditioners use is contributing to the very global warming they are trying to counter by turning up the cooling....

When your winter temperatures are -20 to -40C and your house is hot at 19C*,  getting  used to summer temperatures takes a bit of time.  Especially when the  temperatures are exaggerated because of the  humidity.  For example, my forecast for the weekend is highs of 29-34, but with the humidex they will feel like 34-45.  Just a few weeks ago my highs were high teens/low 20s and my night time temperatures were 9-12.

So it's all relative. 

*You put the heater on at 24!!!. That is already tropical for the house.  In winter my house is 19 during the day, 17 or 16 at night, 15 when I am away for a few days. Don't want it to get too cold or the pipes will freeze.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #641 on: June 27, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »
DD and I went for a short run this morning.  We live in a pretty nice neighborhood, with houses in the 3200-4000 sq ft range (plus basement).  Ok, that's clownhouse territory by itself, but what's worse is that despite having 2- and 3-car garages, we saw multiple houses with multiple cars (up to 4!) parked in the driveway.

GhostSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #642 on: June 27, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »
DD and I went for a short run this morning.  We live in a pretty nice neighborhood, with houses in the 3200-4000 sq ft range (plus basement).  Ok, that's clownhouse territory by itself, but what's worse is that despite having 2- and 3-car garages, we saw multiple houses with multiple cars (up to 4!) parked in the driveway.

Maybe they drive cheap cars and have a garage full of bikes and tools?

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #643 on: June 27, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »

You are too kind. In my neighbourhood, the garages are stacked with boxes and junk.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #644 on: June 27, 2018, 12:47:57 PM »

You are too kind. In my neighbourhood, the garages are stacked with boxes and junk.

Can confirm.  I’ve seen into hear garages, because people leave them open all the time for no reason.  My neighborhood has ONE garage wood shop and the rest is junk.  Even my neighbor with a rowboat somehow still fits her two cars in the garage, so I don’t give anyone else a pass. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: June 27, 2018, 02:04:59 PM »

I didn't pay attention to the exact make/model of the cars in the driveway, but all four of those cars are newer (<10 years old) and nicer (no rust!) than ours.  Besides, I have my modest wood shop *and* our family's 9 bikes in our 3-car garage, and still manage to park our two cars in it.

Maybe it's a big extended family living in one house to save money, and so they need the extra parking spaces?

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #646 on: June 27, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
I don't understand why people seem to thing the only use for a garage is to park a car.  I spend a good portion of my leisure time out there and the only time a car is in there is for maintenance. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #647 on: June 27, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
Our neighbors sold their house recently for about 35% more than they bought it for 8 years ago, moving to another state to live in his late father's house.  This allowed them to emerge from bankruptcy (Chapter 13, I think).  He was a teacher, she was a librarian, and they tried to flip a house, among other financial indiscretions.

Now retired, he plans to day trade.  Forehead, meet desk.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: June 27, 2018, 03:09:23 PM »
I don't understand why people seem to thing the only use for a garage is to park a car.  I spend a good portion of my leisure time out there and the only time a car is in there is for maintenance.
I suppose geography has a lot to do with it.  Up here where it gets cold/snowy, a garage is a Very Good Place to store ones vehicle.  I rather appreciate not having to scrape snow and ice off my car in the morning.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #649 on: June 27, 2018, 03:38:00 PM »

Right? I have a 950-square foot house with small closets, no basement, and a tiny and difficult attic. Our garage isn't "full" of boxes, but it's where things like luggage, camping gear, all of our yard tools, and husband's homebrewing equipment, workbench, and tool chest are stored. Our cars (older model, purchased used) are parked in the driveway. We can get one car in the garage when husband needs to do an oil change or brake work, but we don't normally park there.

It's also a somewhat common practice in my area for people to turn their garages into three-season living areas (with sofas, etc.).