Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508167 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
The US has some pretty aggressive ADA-based laws regarding number of parking spaces that are for handicapped that don't always make a lot of sense.  I worked for a small business that had no handicapped employees and had very few visitors, yet we had two handicapped spaces out front Just Because.  Plus all the handicapped spaces you see out in front of gyms or other places obviously geared towards the non-handicapped.  I don't begrudge anyone who needs one a spot (I've spent enough time on crutches due to sports injuries to understand) but I think the law can be a little over-prescriptive on this.

And you'll probably never have a disabled employee if they can't make it in to the interview.  Gyms typically have office workers, too.  In fact people recovering from injury can use many gym facilities to aid recovery.  You are ridiculous

Let me be more specific; there seems to be some rule associating capacity of a building with number of handicapped spaces.  So if you have one of those massive Lifetime Fitness buildings or something, you end up with an equally huge number of handicapped spaces outside.  Do they need SOME?  Probably, sure.  Do they need a dozen?  Probably not.  Same with the small business, there were <20 people there.  We had plenty of parking in a relatively small, level lot.  It was also a sports-related company.  We didn't need two handicapped spaces.  In fact, we had them clearly marked, etc, but just treated them as normal spots.

The challenge for city planners comes when city fitness closes down and a physio therapy shop, or retail store or a community church takes over the space.  Suddenly, the need for the calculated number of spots does not seem to be exaggerated anymore.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #351 on: March 19, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »
The US has some pretty aggressive ADA-based laws regarding number of parking spaces that are for handicapped that don't always make a lot of sense.  I worked for a small business that had no handicapped employees and had very few visitors, yet we had two handicapped spaces out front Just Because.  Plus all the handicapped spaces you see out in front of gyms or other places obviously geared towards the non-handicapped.  I don't begrudge anyone who needs one a spot (I've spent enough time on crutches due to sports injuries to understand) but I think the law can be a little over-prescriptive on this.

And you'll probably never have a disabled employee if they can't make it in to the interview.  Gyms typically have office workers, too.  In fact people recovering from injury can use many gym facilities to aid recovery.  You are ridiculous

Let me be more specific; there seems to be some rule associating capacity of a building with number of handicapped spaces.  So if you have one of those massive Lifetime Fitness buildings or something, you end up with an equally huge number of handicapped spaces outside.  Do they need SOME?  Probably, sure.  Do they need a dozen?  Probably not.  Same with the small business, there were <20 people there.  We had plenty of parking in a relatively small, level lot.  It was also a sports-related company.  We didn't need two handicapped spaces.  In fact, we had them clearly marked, etc, but just treated them as normal spots.

The challenge for city planners comes when city fitness closes down and a physio therapy shop, or retail store or a community church takes over the space.  Suddenly, the need for the calculated number of spots does not seem to be exaggerated anymore.

If you are refurbing a retail space into a physiotherapy shop, painting a few parking spaces blue is a negligible cost.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »

If you are refurbing a retail space into a physiotherapy shop, painting a few parking spaces blue is a negligible cost.

Other way around, actually.  And the blue spots are a different size, and require ramps or other access, etc.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2017, 04:37:19 AM »
Density saves money in cities. It would be beyond ridiculous to waste a bunch of space on parking to allow for anything a building might one day become.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #354 on: March 20, 2017, 04:44:19 AM »
Yup and if it gets broken, some Boston lads will be happy to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXPrYEp6pQ

I think a tow rope and a vehicle would have been much more efficient.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: March 20, 2017, 11:33:54 PM »

Yup and if it gets broken, some Boston lads will be happy to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXPrYEp6pQ

That was fantastic.  It made my day.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #356 on: March 21, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »
Density saves money in cities. It would be beyond ridiculous to waste a bunch of space on parking to allow for anything a building might one day become.

Yep. The physiotherapist doesn't need every available lot in any given city to be suitable just in case they one day decide to move into it. They only have one office at a time.

Seriously, y'all, come to England. We don't have this shit here. Or, if we do, it's massively outweighed by our huge percentage of pre-car cities. We'll show you how to do it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: March 21, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »

Yep. The physiotherapist doesn't need every available lot in any given city to be suitable just in case they one day decide to move into it. They only have one office at a time.

Seriously, y'all, come to England. We don't have this shit here. Or, if we do, it's massively outweighed by our huge percentage of pre-car cities. We'll show you how to do it.

It is not just the age of the city, my area of south east Virginia has had white folk cities since the early 1600's and they are all as car-centric now as you would find anywhere (maybe not wrt pure distance but in terms of alternatives to cars yes).  Come to think of it I cant think of an area around here that has a 'natural' UK-style downtown that is not based on driving in and parking near the store you want to go to.  Colonial Williamsburg has a parking lots a block or two off the main pedestrian mall.  There is one cool hipster area but its only sort of not really car-free, I would call it more of a walk to the bar and walk home area.  I think much of the US is in a chicken vs egg position of we build around cars cuz everyone expects to get around with a car and everyone has a car cuz that is the only way to get around. 

edit: The Colonial Williamsburg pedestrian mall is nearly all a tourist thing.  Over priced food, tri-pointed hat vendors, ye old time candle shope, etc
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:35:56 AM by AlanStache »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2017, 01:38:26 AM »
I wonder if it is our walled cities that kept the cars out? I agree that it is the large percentage of pre-car cities that has kept the focus on people not cars. In the US then the way of life in most cities seems so pro-car that older cities change?

Also, our traffic laws are more pedestrian friendly. The pedestrian always has right of way and you can cross the road wherever you like (no jaywalking laws).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2017, 01:53:42 AM »
Also, our traffic laws are more pedestrian friendly. The pedestrian always has right of way and you can cross the road wherever you like (no jaywalking laws).

In the countries where I have lived cars need to stop for a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing. Once when I was in Italy I got totally shocked. I could stand at a pedestrian crossing for 5 minutes without a single car stopping for me. And when I crossed until halfway, the cars on the other half still didn't stop. I'm very happy I live in a place that treats pedestrians better.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2017, 05:05:24 AM »

In the countries where I have lived cars need to stop for a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing. Once when I was in Italy I got totally shocked. I could stand at a pedestrian crossing for 5 minutes without a single car stopping for me. And when I crossed until halfway, the cars on the other half still didn't stop. I'm very happy I live in a place that treats pedestrians better.

Yeah I remember Rome quite clearly. Cars would see you on a pedestrian crossing and they would speed up in order to get you to hurry and move along!

Having said that, the Italian (and European) concept of a Town Square I think is a good one. We don't have enough of them in Australia - everything is designed around roads and cars.

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
I live in a condo community and a group of us is pretty friendly.  I go to the board meetings.  One of the frequent topics of conversation is that no trucks are allowed to be parked in driveways.  So people buy a condo and then find out they can't park their giant truck in their driveway and it won't fit in their garage.  Nevermind it was in the paperwork before they actually bought the place.  During one of these discussions one of the ladies on the board said, "ugh, people should be ashamed of some of the cars they have around here."  I haven't seen a single car that I would consider embarrassing.  I kind of wish I had kept my rusty, multicolored 1990 Honda Accord so I could park it in the driveway.

I moved into my unit in November and the next June or July one of the people in the friendly group told me I needed to buy some furniture for my deck so it looked like someone lives there.  I told her I was waiting until there was something on sale after the summer (I had a chair that wasn't suitable to all weather, but I would take it out on my deck when I needed it and then bring it back in.)  She told me I was a money bags.  Lol, guess I'm not good at hiding my mustache?  I'm also not sure that the hammock stand I ended up with was what she had in mind, but I love it!

I thank God every day that there is no HOA where I own my home.  To have a bunch of idiots control how I paint, manage, landscape, decorate, or even where I park my car [and then have to pay extra for this!!!] is the most idiotic of idiotic concepts I can imagine.

The metaphor that first comes to mind is going to dinner with a bunch of coworkers who start drinking like fish and ordering Delmonico steaks, while having just a draft beer and a ceasar salad myself. Time for the check, everyone wants an even split. Ai-yai.

JGS

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
I live in a condo community and a group of us is pretty friendly.  I go to the board meetings.  One of the frequent topics of conversation is that no trucks are allowed to be parked in driveways.  So people buy a condo and then find out they can't park their giant truck in their driveway and it won't fit in their garage.  Nevermind it was in the paperwork before they actually bought the place.  During one of these discussions one of the ladies on the board said, "ugh, people should be ashamed of some of the cars they have around here."  I haven't seen a single car that I would consider embarrassing.  I kind of wish I had kept my rusty, multicolored 1990 Honda Accord so I could park it in the driveway.

I moved into my unit in November and the next June or July one of the people in the friendly group told me I needed to buy some furniture for my deck so it looked like someone lives there.  I told her I was waiting until there was something on sale after the summer (I had a chair that wasn't suitable to all weather, but I would take it out on my deck when I needed it and then bring it back in.)  She told me I was a money bags.  Lol, guess I'm not good at hiding my mustache?  I'm also not sure that the hammock stand I ended up with was what she had in mind, but I love it!

I thank God every day that there is no HOA where I own my home.  To have a bunch of idiots control how I paint, manage, landscape, decorate, or even where I park my car [and then have to pay extra for this!!!] is the most idiotic of idiotic concepts I can imagine.

The metaphor that first comes to mind is going to dinner with a bunch of coworkers who start drinking like fish and ordering Delmonico steaks, while having just a draft beer and a ceasar salad myself. Time for the check, everyone wants an even split. Ai-yai.

JGS
Tis a free country where folks buy a house and are mandated by an HOA which is the antithesis to principles of a free country.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »

JGS
Tis a free country where folks buy a house and are mandated by an HOA which is the antithesis to principles of a free country.
Ah, but it's free to create an HOA so you live with like minded people.  I would never live in one.

Jane Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #364 on: March 28, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
My neighbor just shared with me that her daughter owes almost $400,000 in student loans. She told me she isn't really earning very much and doesn't know when she will ever pay them off.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #365 on: March 30, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
That *sounds* like a lifetime career earnings for some jobs. ;)

Jane Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #366 on: March 30, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »
Yes, there is a well-publicized glut of lawyers in our metropolitan area.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
Ah, but it's free to create an HOA so you live with like minded people.  I would never live in one.

As much as I'd like to say I would never live in one, this is becoming a near-impossibility in Southern California. Everything from Northern LA (Ventura, Pasadena) to the mexican border, built after about 1990, has an HOA attached to it. Not just condos - full-on houses.
The only way to avoid an HOA in SoCal is to purchase a standalone house built before 1990, or purchase a piece of land and build your house on it the way you want it (but then you have to deal with the city, which is 10x worse than HOA).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »

As much as I'd like to say I would never live in one, this is becoming a near-impossibility in Southern California. Everything from Northern LA (Ventura, Pasadena) to the mexican border, built after about 1990, has an HOA attached to it. Not just condos - full-on houses.
The only way to avoid an HOA in SoCal is to purchase a standalone house built before 1990, or purchase a piece of land and build your house on it the way you want it (but then you have to deal with the city, which is 10x worse than HOA).

Some are worse than others, of course.  At least in CA, getting the HOA documents is a relatively simple request.  I've tried to screen a few properties in other states, and in some places it's common to charge you like $50-$100 for a copy of the docs.  I'm not paying that much just to see whether the HOA is operatingn in the red... I'm moving on.  I have no idea how they sell any condos at all with practices like that.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: March 30, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
I would never live anywhere with an HOA.

This is the best book I've read on the subject.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:49:47 PM by Dave1442397 »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #370 on: March 30, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
Yes, there is a well-publicized glut of lawyers in our metropolitan area.

She could always sue herself for negligence and collect on insurance?

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #371 on: April 22, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
My husband and I are friends with another couple, "Clancy" and "Tina".  We've known them for years (in fact, they were the best man/matron of honour at our wedding).  We saw them on Saturday night.  When we asked "What's new?", they answered that they had to sell the 150-acre piece of land they'd bought years ago.  One of our other friends said "Wasn't that the land you were going to build your dream house on?".  They smiled sadly and said "Yeah, well, some dreams don't come true."

I knew all along that this would happen.  Why?  Because Clancy and Tina are horrible - HORRIBLE - with money. They've been in debt as long as we've known them.  Any time they get their hands on some money, they're spending it on stupid shit.  Example:  Tina is an aspiring writer, and when she turned 40, she asked for a new computer for her birthday.    Clancy bought her a $1,500 Mac, because Lord knows, a $500 laptop wouldn't be nearly good enough.

They also have a tendency to announce plans, and then sit back expectantly waiting for the universe to provide.  I'm pretty sure that they didn't make a single move towards saving for their dream house, or paying off their existing debt so that they could afford it better. 

My husband and I are planning to retire in a couple of years.  I'll bet money that Clancy and Tina will still be working until they're in their 60's.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #372 on: April 22, 2017, 04:39:01 PM »
My husband and I are friends with another couple, "Clancy" and "Tina".  We've known them for years (in fact, they were the best man/matron of honour at our wedding).  We saw them on Saturday night.  When we asked "What's new?", they answered that they had to sell the 150-acre piece of land they'd bought years ago.  One of our other friends said "Wasn't that the land you were going to build your dream house on?".  They smiled sadly and said "Yeah, well, some dreams don't come true."

I knew all along that this would happen.  Why?  Because Clancy and Tina are horrible - HORRIBLE - with money. They've been in debt as long as we've known them.  Any time they get their hands on some money, they're spending it on stupid shit.  Example:  Tina is an aspiring writer, and when she turned 40, she asked for a new computer for her birthday.    Clancy bought her a $1,500 Mac, because Lord knows, a $500 laptop wouldn't be nearly good enough.

They also have a tendency to announce plans, and then sit back expectantly waiting for the universe to provide.  I'm pretty sure that they didn't make a single move towards saving for their dream house, or paying off their existing debt so that they could afford it better. 

My husband and I are planning to retire in a couple of years.  I'll bet money that Clancy and Tina will still be working until they're in their 60's.

Not sure how to read this...  It's kind of hard. I am not sure if it's the glare or the screen needs to be fixed on my $1500 mac. 

#tailbetweenlegs

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #373 on: April 22, 2017, 05:02:05 PM »
My neighbors are temporarily "working for the county"... awaiting 10% down payment on their $300k bail bonds.  I assume that counts as antimustacian.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #374 on: April 22, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »
My neighbors are temporarily "working for the county"... awaiting 10% down payment on their $300k bail bonds.  I assume that counts as antimustacian.

What are they in trouble for??? That's alot of bail money around here according to our local newspaper.

wahhunglee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #375 on: April 22, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
My neighbors are no where close to being this fun.  Posting to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briesas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #376 on: April 22, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »
I live in what for my city, is a relatively low end two bedroom apartment ($845  per month). I have a fairly new next door neighbor -- and i do feel for her. She is going through a divorce -- from what I understand her spouse was abusive. I don't think they had anything to their name before she left, so now she is on her own with two kids aged 4 and 7, and re-entering the job market and trying to make this all work. She and the kids are living in one of the two bedrooms  so that she has room for a roommate. She is also looking for some part time work. All this because her rent is more than half of her monthly pay (take home, presumably -- she makes about $16 per hour) and she still has a year of car payments. She wants to buy a house in three years (already tried to get a mortgage but the bank told her to 'pay off her debt' first). She was stressed out when she learned the rent is going up $10 per month when the leases renew.

Then, last weekend, she brings home a puppy. Cue trips to the store for expensive toys. This weekend she told me she hoped the $35 fee from  our landlord was a one time thing -- it's not -- it's a per month dog fee, which is on the landlord's website. Today she told me she watched a documentary called "Pet Fooled" and now thinks she has to buy high end food for the dog. And I don't think she paid more than a shelter fee for the dog.

Today, she enrolled in a master's program. Which is smart, in the sense that she will be able to further her career (early childhood education) -- but I don't know how long she can juggle the crap job (even at $16 an hour she is exempt and working evenings and weekends), the kids, the dog, school and not being able to meet bills.

I think maybe she is overwhelmed from everything that is going on in her life, and is just making bad choices in the name of giving the kids the best life possible at this moment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:01:05 PM by briesas »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #377 on: April 23, 2017, 05:56:37 AM »

What are they in trouble for??? That's alot of bail money around here according to our local newspaper.

This time...  Two of them both have "tampering with government documents" and one has several additional charges of debit/credit card fraud.  It's a tiny house with 8-10 people living in it at any given time.  Most of the adults have pretty long rap sheets.

And from the booking photos, I'd also guess there is meth involved.  They're loads of fun.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #378 on: April 23, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »
My neighbor is attempting to sell his house for $250k, but it's probably only worth about $230k. Went on the market Friday, so we'll see how that turns out. It may end up being on the market for a while.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #379 on: April 24, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »
My neighbor is attempting to sell his house for $250k, but it's probably only worth about $230k. Went on the market Friday, so we'll see how that turns out. It may end up being on the market for a while.

Haha same here - my neighbors have had their house for sale since last April for about 260 when it's worth a little closer to 210. They simultaneously advertised it for rent since around June of last year for $1800 when $1200-1300 is the going rate too. The prices are so high since they bought it before the bubble & so "that's what it's worth". Shockingly, there hasn't been any interest.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: April 24, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »

Haha same here - my neighbors have had their house for sale since last April for about 260 when it's worth a little closer to 210. They simultaneously advertised it for rent since around June of last year for $1800 when $1200-1300 is the going rate too. The prices are so high since they bought it before the bubble & so "that's what it's worth". Shockingly, there hasn't been any interest.

I'm just shaking my head and quietly chucking about this. At the end of last summer my neighbor announced that he has his home listed since spring, and he is pissed at the realtor.  First, it's a bottom grade vacation/ seasonal home, built as cheaply as possible, ten years old, and totally unmaintained. Second he wants EXACTLY to the penny,  they exact amount that the same shit grade builder is currently advertising the same shit grade house for, turn key, brand new. Second, for "security reasons" this chucklenut refuses to allow the realtor to place a sign in front of the yard. God forbid that anybody would drive by and discover that they house is listed, they might get crazy, call the realtor and buy it. Oh, the horror. Finally, the lazy bastard decided that he wouldn't cut the grass at all, so it literally looks like an abandoned house in a hay field. By the time he was done with his sad tale of how badly the realtor was screwing him, I was trying not to laugh. It was a stunning conversation. 

My other favorite  is a guy who moved to my neighborhood 8-10 years ago. In the early 2000s he gets a corporate transfer to a very low cost area of the south. He buys a lovely new ranch house for $140K. He spends another 20-25% above that on upgrades and improvements during his six or seven years there. He relocates to my area and builds his retirement home.  He contacts a realtor at his previous home to list it. The realtor tells him that, since we are now deep into the recession, it will be a struggle to recoup his original purchase price. No deal. He will only sell once the transaction covers ALL of his investment and closing costs. It's nearing ten years now. He has driven tens of thousands of miles traveling back to their southern home to address issues with renters, rental agencies, tenant damage, evictions, etc... He has gotten screwed over repeatedly by tenants and agencies. I have no doubt that he has spent $50k in management fees, repairs, eviction costs, and travel so far.  Unfortunately, it still causes him grief since it hasn't increased to the $190 value he "needs" to break even.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »

I'm just shaking my head and quietly chucking about this. At the end of last summer my neighbor announced that he has his home listed since spring, and he is pissed at the realtor.  First, it's a bottom grade vacation/ seasonal home, built as cheaply as possible, ten years old, and totally unmaintained. Second he wants EXACTLY to the penny,  they exact amount that the same shit grade builder is currently advertising the same shit grade house for, turn key, brand new. Second, for "security reasons" this chucklenut refuses to allow the realtor to place a sign in front of the yard. God forbid that anybody would drive by and discover that they house is listed, they might get crazy, call the realtor and buy it. Oh, the horror. Finally, the lazy bastard decided that he wouldn't cut the grass at all, so it literally looks like an abandoned house in a hay field. By the time he was done with his sad tale of how badly the realtor was screwing him, I was trying not to laugh. It was a stunning conversation. 

My other favorite  is a guy who moved to my neighborhood 8-10 years ago. In the early 2000s he gets a corporate transfer to a very low cost area of the south. He buys a lovely new ranch house for $140K. He spends another 20-25% above that on upgrades and improvements during his six or seven years there. He relocates to my area and builds his retirement home.  He contacts a realtor at his previous home to list it. The realtor tells him that, since we are now deep into the recession, it will be a struggle to recoup his original purchase price. No deal. He will only sell once the transaction covers ALL of his investment and closing costs. It's nearing ten years now. He has driven tens of thousands of miles traveling back to their southern home to address issues with renters, rental agencies, tenant damage, evictions, etc... He has gotten screwed over repeatedly by tenants and agencies. I have no doubt that he has spent $50k in management fees, repairs, eviction costs, and travel so far.  Unfortunately, it still causes him grief since it hasn't increased to the $190 value he "needs" to break even.

There has been a lot of interest in the place. They had an open house this weekend, and like 30 or 40 families showed up to look. They've done a lot of work on the inside that has attracted people, but who knows about the selling price. Even today, people are checking it out (probably another 10) despite it being super rainy and nasty. I hope they can sell it for that much because we'll blow past the 100k NW milestone haha.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »

This time...  Two of them both have "tampering with government documents" and one has several additional charges of debit/credit card fraud.  It's a tiny house with 8-10 people living in it at any given time.  Most of the adults have pretty long rap sheets.

And from the booking photos, I'd also guess there is meth involved.  They're loads of fun.

I see some of my next door neighbors moved next to you when they got out of prison. Get a locking mailbox if you don't have one already.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #383 on: April 25, 2017, 07:25:29 AM »

I see some of my next door neighbors moved next to you when they got out of prison. Get a locking mailbox if you don't have one already.

We've talked about that... or moving mail back to a PO box in town.  At least 2 of them have previous charges for ID theft.  What we've done instead (and still may change our minds) is:
* signed up for USPS informed delivery.  We get a photo of every piece of mail that we are expected to receive on a given day
* froze my wife/my credit at all 3 agencies.
* majority of finance/bill pay occurs on line... though there are always some bit of paper that comes (tax forms, some amount of administrative junk)

We've had these neighbors for about 8 years.  We keep thinking they'll burn down their house or do something so awful that they'll all go away...  but we never have had more than 2 of them in prison at a time.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #384 on: April 25, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »
My neighbors are lovely people, but talking to them is like watching a financial train wreck unfold. Wife works a low paying job, but it is stable and has a side benefit of helping with childcare costs (she can bring them to work). Husband is on his third job in five years (the previous two were in companies that shut down), each one has paid worse and the current job is none too stable. So what did they do? Spent their tax refund on a Disney vacation. Did I mention that both current vehicles are older (fine), frequently break down (not so fine) and the husband thinks they will have to replace both by the end of the year? Hopefully the brand new pitching machine and batting cage he just bought/put up for the 8 year old playing his first year of city summer league baseball doesn't set them back too on the car buying scheme much. Sigh.

eddie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #385 on: April 25, 2017, 04:21:50 PM »

Similar situation.  My neighbor across the street moved out of state for a job and put his house on the market for $120k.  It's about 1,300 sqft and we live in a LCOL area.  It would sell for that if it was in great shape with a modern kitchen & bathroom. But... The dude a hoarder.  Had a 2 car garage he couldn't park in, it took 2 rental dumpsters to take away all his trash, there are nails sticking out of the hard wood floor as soon as you walk in the front door, the foundation is cracked, drywall is cracked, the exterior has lots of peeling paint, he smoked in the house for over a decade, I could go on for a few more lines.  He lowered the price to 110k after a couple weeks.  I'll be shocked if he gets more than $80k.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: April 25, 2017, 06:02:50 PM »

We've talked about that... or moving mail back to a PO box in town.  At least 2 of them have previous charges for ID theft.  What we've done instead (and still may change our minds) is:
* signed up for USPS informed delivery.  We get a photo of every piece of mail that we are expected to receive on a given day
* froze my wife/my credit at all 3 agencies.
* majority of finance/bill pay occurs on line... though there are always some bit of paper that comes (tax forms, some amount of administrative junk)

We've had these neighbors for about 8 years.  We keep thinking they'll burn down their house or do something so awful that they'll all go away...  but we never have had more than 2 of them in prison at a time.

I didn't even know about Informed Delivery. I'll have to look into it. I'll tell you, not having home delivery at all (our solution to the methhead mail shopping) works just fine most of the time, but it's getting to be more of a pain with official documents and Homeland Security regulations. Renewed drivers license, new bank account... So far I've managed to get those things sent to the PO box, but it was some trouble. But of course those are exactly the things you don't want stolen.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: April 26, 2017, 05:58:09 AM »
On the topic of crazy house pricing.  The Fugly Blue house.

My town is an interesting mix, "old" close in suburb of Detroit.  There are a mix of smaller older homes, some in good condition that will stay, some that will become tear downs for houses like mine, moderate sized by current standards new houses.  (mostly in the 1,500-2,000 sq ft range).  The fugly house built around 1980, it is 2,000 sq ft on a double lot, but I don't think anything has been done since it was built.  They put it on the market originally for $299,000 a year ago, rumor has it a developer offered them $250,000 for the land before they listed.  It is still for sale, it needs at a minimum $50,000 for new windows, a roof and it doesn't have a garage which is abnormal for the neighborhood.  Lets not mention normal people would want to upgrade the kitchens and baths so really it could easily be $100,000+ for "renovations."  Same town, maintained house of a transferred co-worker sold in 30 hours for over-asking.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #388 on: April 26, 2017, 08:27:09 AM »
I didn't even know about Informed Delivery. I'll have to look into it. I'll tell you, not having home delivery at all (our solution to the methhead mail shopping) works just fine most of the time, but it's getting to be more of a pain with official documents and Homeland Security regulations. Renewed drivers license, new bank account... So far I've managed to get those things sent to the PO box, but it was some trouble. But of course those are exactly the things you don't want stolen.

It's new (but did a small run in limited areas for a while).  It's free.  Just go to usps.com and click a bit.  The down side is... I didn't see anything that would keep your meth-head neighbors from signing up for informed delivery of someone else's mail.  This seems like a dumb problem waiting to happen.  Why fish through every mailbox in the neighborhood every day when you can get a preview of all of them.

Been there-done that with the PO box.  It can be a pain.  It was less of a pain pre-fire when I "went to town" every day commuting.  Post-FIRE, there are often several days in a row that we don't go to town.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:28:54 AM by Spork »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #389 on: April 26, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »

It's new (but did a small run in limited areas for a while).  It's free.  Just go to usps.com and click a bit.  The down side is... I didn't see anything that would keep your meth-head neighbors from signing up for informed delivery of someone else's mail.  This seems like a dumb problem waiting to happen.  Why fish through every mailbox in the neighborhood every day when you can get a preview of all of them.

Been there-done that with the PO box.  It can be a pain.  It was less of a pain pre-fire when I "went to town" every day commuting.  Post-FIRE, there are often several days in a row that we don't go to town.

Yeah, I have to make a point of going to get the mail - I aim for once a week but sometimes miss.

I have just signed up for Informed Delivery on our street address (which has no mailbox and should get nothing) because a debit card on a new account was sent there.* To get Informed Delivery, I did have to answer a series of identity questions along the lines of those one must answer to get a credit report (may have been more difficult questions, in fact). So I think the security must be improved. It looks like the full rollout to all addresses happened just last week, so perhaps the security upgrade was then.

Now I have a support query in to see if there's any way to get the service for both street and PO address. It would be nice to know when there's no need to go to town.

* I had declined to have a debit card at all since that's strictly an investment account, but that's another story.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #390 on: April 26, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »

Yeah, I have to make a point of going to get the mail - I aim for once a week but sometimes miss.

I have just signed up for Informed Delivery on our street address (which has no mailbox and should get nothing) because a debit card on a new account was sent there.* To get Informed Delivery, I did have to answer a series of identity questions along the lines of those one must answer to get a credit report (may have been more difficult questions, in fact). So I think the security must be improved. It looks like the full rollout to all addresses happened just last week, so perhaps the security upgrade was then.

Now I have a support query in to see if there's any way to get the service for both street and PO address. It would be nice to know when there's no need to go to town.

* I had declined to have a debit card at all since that's strictly an investment account, but that's another story.

That's much better than mine... I didn't have to answer a single question other than pick a userid, password, email address, physical address.  Someone must have mentioned the risk to them. ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #391 on: April 27, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
This is not really neighbours related but is real estate related so I thought I would post it here.

I rent an apartment. Recently I starting to get a lot of flyers advertising condos for sale. This is reasonable since I live in a fairly nice apartment building and many of my neighbours would consider buying. The odd/antimustachian thing about these flyers is they state "buy a house for xxx biweekly". They don't even list the total price of the home, just the biweekly mortgage payments. They don't even state what mortgage terms they are assuming.

Buy a condo for less than what it costs to stay a night at a local Motel 6!  Only $100 per night!

Who the heck pays $100/night for a local Motel 6? Unless local to you means a very HCOL place like SF during the Superbowl, you can find a motel for a lot cheaper nearly everywhere in the country. I've gotten by on $45/night rooms at Red Roof Inn too many times to count.
My stepdad came to visit in Santa Barbara last year and was about to book the local motel 6 (which is horrible.  He and my mom stayed there years ago.)  It was $179 a night!

I found him an air-BNB for $99 a night, *right* before the city banned short term rentals.  He got in under the wire!
Haha! I stayed at that M6 once and completely agree, it's awful! We were riding our bikes from SF to LA. IIRC, we stayed there because the camping options were too far removed from our route and almost as expensive. Next day, we agreed it was worse than the camping we'd done on the rest of the trip.

jslasher88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
Was helping a neighbor friend move some furniture last weekend.

At some point in the afternoon his wife announced that she was going to take their 1-year-old baby for a drive to help the baby fall asleep for her nap. This is their regular alternative when the baby won't go down on her own in the crib.

Off she went in their heavily-financed clown SUV...she was gone for 2 hours, driving around town the whole time.

Now, I won't profess to know anything much about child-raising...but I could only imagine what MMM would say about this...

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2017, 11:03:18 AM »

At some point in the afternoon his wife announced that she was going to take their 1-year-old baby for a drive to help the baby fall asleep for her nap. This is their regular alternative when the baby won't go down on her own in the crib.

Off she went in their heavily-financed clown SUV...she was gone for 2 hours, driving around town the whole time.

Now, I won't profess to know anything much about child-raising...but I could only imagine what MMM would say about this...

I know absolutely zero about child raising...  And having seen a few new-mom nieces that have had 8 hours of cumulative sleep in the last month: I would probably forgive anything short of murder in those situations.

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #394 on: April 29, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »
I'm with Spork. WHATEVER WORKS when it comes to getting babies their rest (and their momma's some ear rest too).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2017, 04:41:41 AM »

I know absolutely zero about child raising...  And having seen a few new-mom nieces that have had 8 hours of cumulative sleep in the last month: I would probably forgive anything short of murder in those situations.

Husband's parents did this with him (minus the SUV and car loan). He didn't sleep through the night once till he was three. Prior to that, my FiL would either put him in the pram and push him around their town till the early hours, or put him in the car and drive till he fell asleep. My husband is the ultimate Car Guy with all that it entails, so I joke that it didn't influence him at all...

(You would think my in-laws share this story to talk about how hard those early years were. Nope. My mother would have put me up for adoption if it was me, but they adored him, their perfect first-born.)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
We've found that a good alternative to the long dive is to set the baby and car seat on a running clothes dryer. You get the same sound and vibration that way, without spending a bunch on gasoline :)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2017, 10:57:55 PM »
We've found that a good alternative to the long dive is to set the baby and car seat on a running clothes dryer. You get the same sound and vibration that way, without spending a bunch on gasoline :)

Another thing a clothes line won't do for you. (But the mental image is good.)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #398 on: May 01, 2017, 04:59:00 AM »

The place is under contract, I think. Not sure what they got for a price, though. I'll know once it closes in a month.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
I'm with Spork. WHATEVER WORKS when it comes to getting babies their rest (and their momma's some ear rest too).

While I generally agree with this, I think the criticism is really on the financed SUV. That, and/or trying *any* lower cost alternative to that wasteful habit.

(Thanks zolotiyeruki for the dryer idea. We try not to use our dryer too often, but I'll save the next dryer washload for an evening and see if I can sync those 2 things up)