Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508035 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
I'm not going to comment on how deplorable it is for people to park in a spot for disabled people when they have no disability. But I will put out a friendly reminder that not all handicaps are outwardly visible. When it is a stranger in a parking lot, it's generally better not to judge.

I completely agree. In order to park in a disabled bay in the UK you need a disabled permit that you display in the windscreen of your car.

For those parking there that I mentioned previously this is not there.

I normally feel the same way - if you park there then there is a reason. However I know this guy well enough to say he is very physically active at work and home. Lifting, walking, carrying, etc. Someone mentioned that he has a disabled relative that occasionally stays with him. Occasionally. He has a handicapped tag full time and makes use of it even when alone.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #301 on: March 06, 2017, 04:25:43 AM »
I'm not going to comment on how deplorable it is for people to park in a spot for disabled people when they have no disability. But I will put out a friendly reminder that not all handicaps are outwardly visible. When it is a stranger in a parking lot, it's generally better not to judge.

I completely agree. In order to park in a disabled bay in the UK you need a disabled permit that you display in the windscreen of your car.

For those parking there that I mentioned previously this is not there.

I normally feel the same way - if you park there then there is a reason. However I know this guy well enough to say he is very physically active at work and home. Lifting, walking, carrying, etc. Someone mentioned that he has a disabled relative that occasionally stays with him. Occasionally. He has a handicapped tag full time and makes use of it even when alone.
I've always felt it was only deplorable if by parking there one is denying a person with limited mobility the spot. If an apartment complex, say, has three reserved spots and zero limited mobility residents, it doesn't hurt me if some jerk off takes up one regularly. There are still two for the incredibly unlikely event of limited-mobility guests arriving.

If jerk-off parks in the spot at a store or a hospital or another place that has a much higher usage of its reserved parking spaces, that is completely fine worthy, though naturally harder to prove.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: March 06, 2017, 06:16:35 AM »

My Brother uses his handicap tag regularly, and doesn't appear to need it to someone that doesn't know him.  He has ankle/shoulder problems due to injuries while serving in the military, and is considered a Disabled Veteran.  So, he walks with a limp, but he does somewhat physical work, and is an avid bowler.  So, I'm on the fence whether he needs it or not.  I just try not to judge him negatively for it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #303 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »

I've always felt it was only deplorable if by parking there one is denying a person with limited mobility the spot. If an apartment complex, say, has three reserved spots and zero limited mobility residents, it doesn't hurt me if some jerk off takes up one regularly. There are still two for the incredibly unlikely event of limited-mobility guests arriving.

If jerk-off parks in the spot at a store or a hospital or another place that has a much higher usage of its reserved parking spaces, that is completely fine worthy, though naturally harder to prove.

You can't know in advance whether someone will need it.  Surprise, disabled people often have disabled friends.  Three might arrive at the same time.

Even if it was guaranteed not to be used, jerk-off should split use of the spot with everyone else in the complex.  Unilaterally annexing the space is a dick move no matter what.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 06, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »

You can't know in advance whether someone will need it.  Surprise, disabled people often have disabled friends.  Three might arrive at the same time.

Even if it was guaranteed not to be used, jerk-off should split use of the spot with everyone else in the complex.  Unilaterally annexing the space is a dick move no matter what.

Agreed. If the building doesn't need that many disabled spaces they can paint some out.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #305 on: March 06, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »
The US has some pretty aggressive ADA-based laws regarding number of parking spaces that are for handicapped that don't always make a lot of sense.  I worked for a small business that had no handicapped employees and had very few visitors, yet we had two handicapped spaces out front Just Because.  Plus all the handicapped spaces you see out in front of gyms or other places obviously geared towards the non-handicapped.  I don't begrudge anyone who needs one a spot (I've spent enough time on crutches due to sports injuries to understand) but I think the law can be a little over-prescriptive on this.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #306 on: March 06, 2017, 03:18:22 PM »
The US has some pretty aggressive ADA-based laws regarding number of parking spaces that are for handicapped that don't always make a lot of sense.  I worked for a small business that had no handicapped employees and had very few visitors, yet we had two handicapped spaces out front Just Because.  Plus all the handicapped spaces you see out in front of gyms or other places obviously geared towards the non-handicapped.  I don't begrudge anyone who needs one a spot (I've spent enough time on crutches due to sports injuries to understand) but I think the law can be a little over-prescriptive on this.

And you'll probably never have a disabled employee if they can't make it in to the interview.  Gyms typically have office workers, too.  In fact people recovering from injury can use many gym facilities to aid recovery.  You are ridiculous

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: March 06, 2017, 03:22:16 PM »

And you'll probably never have a disabled employee if they can't make it in to the interview.  Gyms typically have office workers, too.  In fact people recovering from injury can use many gym facilities to aid recovery.  You are ridiculous

Let me be more specific; there seems to be some rule associating capacity of a building with number of handicapped spaces.  So if you have one of those massive Lifetime Fitness buildings or something, you end up with an equally huge number of handicapped spaces outside.  Do they need SOME?  Probably, sure.  Do they need a dozen?  Probably not.  Same with the small business, there were <20 people there.  We had plenty of parking in a relatively small, level lot.  It was also a sports-related company.  We didn't need two handicapped spaces.  In fact, we had them clearly marked, etc, but just treated them as normal spots. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2017, 03:30:24 PM »

Let me be more specific; there seems to be some rule associating capacity of a building with number of handicapped spaces.  So if you have one of those massive Lifetime Fitness buildings or something, you end up with an equally huge number of handicapped spaces outside.  Do they need SOME?  Probably, sure.  Do they need a dozen?  Probably not.  Same with the small business, there were <20 people there.  We had plenty of parking in a relatively small, level lot.  It was also a sports-related company.  We didn't need two handicapped spaces.  In fact, we had them clearly marked, etc, but just treated them as normal spots.

dozens?  handicap spot count is a function of the number of regular spaces. 
https://adata.org/factsheet/parking
To get 24 handy cap spots a parking lot would need 2400 other spaces.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: March 06, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »

dozens?  handicap spot count is a function of the number of regular spaces. 
https://adata.org/factsheet/parking
To get 24 handy cap spots a parking lot would need 2400 other spaces.

The problem with your 24/2400 is that you assign a defined ratio based on a government requirement. In fact, the link listed these figures as "required minimums". My wife is severely disabled. It's not uncommon for us to find places like a Walmart  with thirty or more spaces, and they certainly do not have 3000+ total spaces. Now if we are talking about huning for said spaces, while wintering in Florida, it's all a theory anyway, since, unless it's 2 AM, every one will be legitimately filled, EVERY hour the business is open, LOL.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #310 on: March 06, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »

Pretty much everyone has disabled friends and family members.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: March 07, 2017, 01:30:05 AM »

If you think there are too many disabled parking places, you should request them to be transformed into normal places. That is what I (and some others) did at work. We have no disabled people working here and several disabled places that took up space and where normal cars were parking. We requested them to be transformed. They did and made a new disabled parking place in the fron of the building, beside the entrance. At the back we now have an extra parking place for the rest of us. Good solution.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: March 07, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »

hahaha - I still think Chris22 is on here to troll everyone. I'll never get over the fact this guy drives his car to the bus stop.

Come on man, you can't be that dense? Do you really think everyone who parks in a handicap spot is supposed to be a white stick man in a wheel chair?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #313 on: March 07, 2017, 07:56:13 AM »
hahaha - I still think Chris22 is on here to troll everyone. I'll never get over the fact this guy drives his car to the bus stop.

I what now?  I don't take the bus.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2017, 09:03:03 AM »
This is why I do not carry my sledgehammer around with me. 

Also, does anyone here report it? If so, who to?

I do report, especially on street parking where parking is severely limited and where forcing someone off the sidewalk into the street can be dangerous.  There is an app called "311" and it is available for a bunch of different cities.  In WDC, it feeds right into the District's official 311 system.  You can report everything from a tree needing help from the city arborist to illegal parking to uncollected recycling to parking meters not working to roadkill, and many other things.  You can take photos and include those in your report.  You can report anonymously if you wish.  For something time sensitive, you can also call 311 and report whatever issue you're having so they will send someone immediately.  On rare occasions, I have called the police directly and requested patrol come out to ticket (car was blocking my driveway and I couldn't get to work --- only with a ticket will the city tow.  So I needed the ticket in order to get out of my garage)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »

The problem with your 24/2400 is that you assign a defined ratio based on a government requirement. In fact, the link listed these figures as "required minimums". My wife is severely disabled. It's not uncommon for us to find places like a Walmart  with thirty or more spaces, and they certainly do not have 3000+ total spaces. Now if we are talking about huning for said spaces, while wintering in Florida, it's all a theory anyway, since, unless it's 2 AM, every one will be legitimately filled, EVERY hour the business is open, LOL.

Your issue is the minimum is to low?  I assume it is a hold over from a "pre-bigdata" era where simplicity and ease of application was valued over exactness.  Yes today it would be possible to make county by county requirements based on population age and disability rates etc so that FLA would have higher ratios of handicap spaces than a younger/more mobile area.  Call your congressman, or the Walmart manager.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
I agree with your overall message. I know an internet-based auto wheel dealer who does zero walk-ins and zero in-store retail. His parking lot has 20 regular spots and 2 disabled spots, which are right in front of the door. He's renting the building, but his landlord can't make adjustments to the spots to increase employee parking for his growing business. He has zero disabled employees.

Meanwhile, also here in FL, at my workplace, lots have 10%+ disabled parking. One is over 50%. 90+% are former/current military, all disabled spots are filled up by 0730 daily. Yet many of them do crossfit, adventure sports, etc and are of sound mind and body. I've heard them say that if you apply for disability, you get at least 20%, so why not try. They blame the system for letting them get away for it.

Just because gov mandates something, doesn't mean one blindly follows it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #317 on: March 07, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »

I mean, you can fight it if you want, but you should still follow it.  For the most part, nobody is really hurt by having too many disabled spots.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #318 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »

I mean, you can fight it if you want, but you should still follow it.  For the most part, nobody is really hurt by having too many disabled spots.

You have x spots, of which n are disabled. x-n spots for non-disabled.
x-n < y, where y is the number of cars that can use those spots. There aren't any more spots in any other lot.
Most of the n spots are taken up by gov/military who do zero technical work and flap gums.
Most y are contractors, mostly IT and Intel analysts.
As a consequence, my workplace gets a negative rep for insufficient parking. People don't want to work here due to this situation. Govt/Military is aware but won't do anything build overflow parking as it barely affects their personnel.
Thus a major command can't find qualified personnel; the command and ultimately the DoD suffers.
Potentially soldiers may get hurt as there wasn't sufficient IT and intel analysts resources available for them to be successful in their mission.
The reality is that you can build another 200 disabled spots where I work and I can guarantee you that by 0900 they'll be filled up. Coz when everyone qualifies for disability, then its the new normal.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2017, 01:01:31 PM »
You have a negative rep for having insufficient parking because you have insufficient parking, not because you have too many disabled spots.  theres really no way to blame regulation on that

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #320 on: March 07, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
You have a negative rep for having insufficient parking because you have insufficient parking, not because you have too many disabled spots.  theres really no way to blame regulation on that
I checked with the civil engineering squadron today. Was told they increased disabled parking by 40% in last 5 years. Zero increase for non-disabled. Sad!
Regulations, blah! Apparently they've been requesting funds for years for additional parking, but internal politics is to blame.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #321 on: March 07, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
I have a neighbor who in some ways is more frugal than I am (he replaced his own roof, installed his own lawn irrigation system, etc.). His weakness appears to be vehicles, though, since he and his wife (no kids) had two cars, an SUV, and a boat when they bought a brand new truck (a showy one with the raised suspension). I asked why they got it, thinking they might be getting rid of they SUV or take it to a monster truck rally, but his answer was "The wife just wanted a truck, so she bought one. I'm going to have to build an addition onto our (3 car) garage so we can store everything." So he did, although he built it 90% by himself.

If I had his ability and motivation for doing home improvement mixed with my spending and investing habits, I could probably have retired 5 years ago.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: March 07, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »

Your issue is the minimum is to low?  I assume it is a hold over from a "pre-bigdata" era where simplicity and ease of application was valued over exactness.  Yes today it would be possible to make county by county requirements based on population age and disability rates etc so that FLA would have higher ratios of handicap spaces than a younger/more mobile area.  Call your congressman, or the Walmart manager.

No issues at all, I just caught a comment about needing a 2400 car lot to end up with 24 HC spaces and realized that it just isn't how it works in the real world. The FL. thing just amuses me. We spend 3-4 months there, every winter, and the whole HC spot thing is always a laugh when we go out to any big store. Deep in snowbird country they should probably paint all the lines blue and get it over with. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: March 07, 2017, 05:31:23 PM »
At the risk of introducing even more foam into the thread, I'd like to point out that there are also requirements governing the minimum size of parking lots, based not on the expected demand for spaces, but rather on square footage and type of store.  So, for example, even though its parking lot may only reach capacity once per year on Black Friday, a store will still have to install and maintain a lot of a certain size, based on the square footage of the store.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: March 08, 2017, 12:24:35 AM »
I finished reading 'Happy City' (the one from MMM's latest blog post) yesterday and it said there are 8 parking spaces for every car in America.

Would it be possible to change the law to include mandated bike parking spaces?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: March 08, 2017, 01:24:24 AM »
I finished reading 'Happy City' (the one from MMM's latest blog post) yesterday and it said there are 8 parking spaces for every car in America.

Here where I live we have an Ikea store. It has hundreds or maybe even a thousand parking places for cars. And less than 10 parking places for bicycles. The bicycle parking is right at the entrance though.

In a typical biking country, like in the Netherlands, Ikea has lot of bicycle parking places. And you can even rent or borrow a  bicycle trolley at Ikea to hang behind your bike.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #326 on: March 08, 2017, 03:43:55 AM »

Here where I live we have an Ikea store. It has hundreds or maybe even a thousand parking places for cars. And less than 10 parking places for bicycles. The bicycle parking is right at the entrance though.

In a typical biking country, like in the Netherlands, Ikea has lot of bicycle parking places. And you can even rent or borrow a  bicycle trolley at Ikea to hang behind your bike.

Can you send them an email or ring them up an ask them to change it? You can fit half a dozen bikes in the space of one car!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #327 on: March 08, 2017, 06:04:47 AM »

I actually started using the gym more frequently post-disability since running, hiking, dancing, and other non-gym exercise is out for me. I need the machines because of my limited mobility, and the pool is my best friend. Considering how it's actually hard for me to get a handicapped spot, I'd venture that I'm far from alone on this.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: March 08, 2017, 08:58:29 AM »

Near my house, there's a formerly abandoned shopping center that's been renovated and re-occupied with tenants. It's wonderful to see the blight replaced with commerce, but I wish the parking lot had a legitimate bike rack somewhere onsite. I've tried mentioning the idea to store employees, and while they smile and nod I'm sure they're in no position to make that happen.

Anyone have an idea of what it actually costs a property owner to buy and install a bike rack?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: March 08, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »

Near my house, there's a formerly abandoned shopping center that's been renovated and re-occupied with tenants. It's wonderful to see the blight replaced with commerce, but I wish the parking lot had a legitimate bike rack somewhere onsite. I've tried mentioning the idea to store employees, and while they smile and nod I'm sure they're in no position to make that happen.

Anyone have an idea of what it actually costs a property owner to buy and install a bike rack?

Yes I do! Looked it up just the other week. Last page of this doc: www.sustrans.org.uk/sites/default/files/images/files/Route-Design-Resources/Cycle-Parking-31-10-14.pdf

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: March 11, 2017, 04:37:26 AM »

Agreed. If the building doesn't need that many disabled spaces they can paint some out.
What's the difference if it's painted blue or yellow? If it's not needed, it's not needed. As long as it's not denying someone truly in need, I am not affected by a jerk-off parking two spots closer to the door than I did. Good for them for being more efficient; hardly going to wreck my day.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: March 11, 2017, 04:45:01 AM »
I have a neighbor who in some ways is more frugal than I am (he replaced his own roof, installed his own lawn irrigation system, etc.). His weakness appears to be vehicles, though, since he and his wife (no kids) had two cars, an SUV, and a boat when they bought a brand new truck (a showy one with the raised suspension). I asked why they got it, thinking they might be getting rid of they SUV or take it to a monster truck rally, but his answer was "The wife just wanted a truck, so she bought one. I'm going to have to build an addition onto our (3 car) garage so we can store everything." So he did, although he built it 90% by himself.

If I had his ability and motivation for doing home improvement mixed with my spending and investing habits, I could probably have retired 5 years ago.
One should spend on the things that bring one joy. Saving money by building one's own house opens up all kinds of money to use to enjoy nice vehicles. Good for your neighbor for having his priorities straight!

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: March 11, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »
I have a neighbour who is on disability welfare. His disability is caused by physical illness, and welfare pays only a little, so it's not his fault he's poor. Unfortunately, he isn't helping matters by going on spending sprees every month. He does get the stuff cheap, but someone struggling to survive shouldn't be buying so many potted plants and laptop computers that he's not proficient with. Or big screen TVs (he has two). Or... let's just say his apartment is packed with stuff, which he's finally now selling.

We live in an apartment building in a poor neighbourhood, but it's not geared to income, so after rent he only has $200 to $300 per month. He survives by subletting his apartment, selling free health food he gets from the welfare authorities, and by doing balance transfers on his credit cards, until he couldn't afford the minimum payment on the current 0% interest card. His last "tenants" left in disgust due to him being a slob. This is a common occurrence with him, so I don't bother to learn his tenants' names and faces. (Because of the neighbourhood poverty, most of its residents seem to be elderly people on government pensions and welfare recipients.)

His ex-girlfriend (who lives in another town) is next door right now yelling at him for spending over $500 on a single purchase this month. The comments suggested it was beer, but I don't know how you spend that much in a month. We're just over a third of the way through the month. She's always chewing him out for his overspending, so I thought she was responsible.

He used to be self-employed and worked under the table. As a result, he didn't pay into CPP (our version of Social Security). He'll still get a minimum pension when he retires, but that's a case of short-term thinking from before he got sick. More importantly, he can't "retire" early and get his CPP at age 60. A person in his position pretty much has no choice but to do that... if they haven't closed off that avenue.

Last month he failed to pay his rent for the first time in the several years that he's been here. He wrote a cheque but it bounced. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but he told me he into overdraft for over $1,000 (roughly $750 USD). Since he paid his rent the month before, that suggests he spent more than that amount of money in only one month (on top of his rent for the previous month). However I'm not sure, there are other possible explanations. The unbanked phenomenon is not as common in Canada as in the US. I just can't figure out how he could have written a cheque that bounced if he didn't use his bank account. (A money order wouldn't bounce, because you have to pay for it up front.)

When he told me this, I found out that he hadn't filed his taxes last year, and so didn't get some small tax benefits that together would have almost paid for a month of rent. He had to call the tax agency to get them to take off his direct deposit (to keep the bank from thanking him for this unexpected deposit) and won't actually see any money until April. (I did his taxes since I know how to do it, for free. I had to see his rent records to get him that benefit, so I know he wasn't lying about only missing the one payment.)

I said that if he had told me this before I would have done his taxes then and he could have gotten that money before missing a rent payment. He told me that if I had done this before December he would have spent all the money (presumably on Christmas stuff)...

At the end of February his welfare payment came in. His ex-girlfriend's came in as well. Given the distance she has to travel to see him from her city, I don't know how she affords it. Turns out she can't. She had also missed her last rent payment, and her landlord was angry with her too. Instead of immediately writing her landlord a cheque, she decided to hang out with her ex-boyfriend on her rent due date, buy a lot of beer and get drunk. He had to pay her cab fare to get back. The two of them telling me the story is how I found out she's on welfare.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #333 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:05 AM »
We have some neighbours who moved in last year. We got talking to them on the street a few weeks ago. They were telling us about the kitchen upgrade they had just done, this and that they were in the middle of doing, and how they had applied to council to put in a front fence but were knocked back as they weren't allowed in our part of town and how terribly upset they were about this. Later that evening we heard then call out "get in the car kids, we are going to look at a better house". Now we hear they are moving. After less than 12 months, and all those renovations. Because they couldn't get a front fence. They already have fences at the sides of the house to separate the front and back yards, but it seems no front fence (in our quiet cul-de-sac) was a deal breaker for them.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: March 15, 2017, 06:56:09 AM »
We have some neighbours who moved in last year. We got talking to them on the street a few weeks ago. They were telling us about the kitchen upgrade they had just done, this and that they were in the middle of doing, and how they had applied to council to put in a front fence but were knocked back as they weren't allowed in our part of town and how terribly upset they were about this. Later that evening we heard then call out "get in the car kids, we are going to look at a better house". Now we hear they are moving. After less than 12 months, and all those renovations. Because they couldn't get a front fence. They already have fences at the sides of the house to separate the front and back yards, but it seems no front fence (in our quiet cul-de-sac) was a deal breaker for them.

That is a dramatic choice. Couldn't they just have planted a row of hedges that could have functioned as a fence?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #335 on: March 15, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »
Wow.  That's kind of like the story of the billionaire throwing away a private jet when the ashtrays got full.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: March 15, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »
That is a dramatic choice. Couldn't they just have planted a row of hedges that could have functioned as a fence?

If this council is like my homeowners association, the answer to both the front fence and the extended front hedges is "no."

wonkette

• Stubble
« Reply #337 on: March 15, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
My neighbors, a couple I like very much, invited me over for a drink last night. Sadly, they shared that they are seriously considering moving to Baltimore (we're in DC), where they can afford more house. They plan on having kids in a few years and they've both recently gotten jobs where they can work from home three days a week.

I mentioned that they'd still have to factor in the cost of the commuter train which is something like $7 each way and doesn't run very late, at which point they'd have to take the more expensive Amtrak. The neighbor confessed that it wouldn't impact their budget much because she ubers to and from work every day she goes into the office anyway! Their place is maybe 15 minutes to the metro at a leisurely stroll (which is ten minutes closer than my place) and even on the same line she needs. I was gobsmacked.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »

Surely if having a fence was *that* important to you, you'd check whether or not they're allowed in a particular suburb before moving there!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #339 on: March 15, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »
My neighbors, a couple I like very much, invited me over for a drink last night. Sadly, they shared that they are seriously considering moving to Baltimore (we're in DC), where they can afford more house. They plan on having kids in a few years and they've both recently gotten jobs where they can work from home three days a week.

I mentioned that they'd still have to factor in the cost of the commuter train which is something like $7 each way and doesn't run very late, at which point they'd have to take the more expensive Amtrak. The neighbor confessed that it wouldn't impact their budget much because she ubers to and from work every day she goes into the office anyway! Their place is maybe 15 minutes to the metro at a leisurely stroll (which is ten minutes closer than my place) and even on the same line she needs. I was gobsmacked.
wow

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: March 16, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »

I am pretty sure an entire topic could be devoted to antimustachianism in DC.  It is unbelievable.  And the strangest part is that the vast majority of us come from somewhere else.  So are we a microcosm of what is happening in the rest of the country?  Or is there just so much freaking money here that we're not used to, so we feel like there is free rein to spend spend spend?  Or do we just see everyone else doing it and copy?  I don't get it!  I have absolutely experienced lifestyle creep since moving here, and have put a halt to it, but I still spend so much beyond what I was accustomed to when I lived elsewhere.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #341 on: March 16, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »

I've never used one of these ride services. Any idea what that costs?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #342 on: March 16, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »

Probably cheaper than owning a second car.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #343 on: March 16, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
So $1-$2 per mile. Thanks.

wonkette

• Stubble
« Reply #344 on: March 16, 2017, 12:37:05 PM »

I use the services to get to/from the airport.  For a 10-15 minute ride, I pay between $7-$15.  It's about 6 miles.
This is right. Seven dollars at minimum, but probably more like $10 with traffic. But the train is right there! If they won't take a train now I have low confidence they'll actually take the one from Baltimore. Maybe they'll take an Uber from their house to the train station and from Union Station to work.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #345 on: March 16, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »

I don't know, but I did see my local city put a bike rack in a fancy artistic bike rack in the
shape of a fish to the tune of $10,000.
Cost includes engineer time and installation by city employees.
 I worked the marina about 5 days a week and it was two years before I saw a
one bike in it and that was the only one over maybe
6 years before it was removed.
 I did see someone ride up to it once and I ask them if they were going use the bike rack,
the "no, just waiting for a friend to catch up.
 I saw two guys outside the Planet Fitness I use, inspecting an area,
I suspected they were contemplating a bike rack, so I ask. They were,
and I told them I would like that, I'm 3 miles from the gym and would like to make that ride.
 That's been a month, nothing yet.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #346 on: March 16, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »

I use the services to get to/from the airport.  For a 10-15 minute ride, I pay between $7-$15.  It's about 6 miles.
This is right. Seven dollars at minimum, but probably more like $10 with traffic. But the train is right there! If they won't take a train now I have low confidence they'll actually take the one from Baltimore. Maybe they'll take an Uber from their house to the train station and from Union Station to work.

If they aren't using the train now, I doubt they'll use it if they move, though maybe they will when they factor in the cost. I can't imagine what it will cost if they take Uber to work from Baltimore to DC, even if it is only a few times a week. I imagine with rush hour they will be paying a price premium.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #347 on: March 17, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »

I don't know, but I did see my local city put a bike rack in a fancy artistic bike rack in the
 I did see someone ride up to it once and I ask them if they were going use the bike rack,
and I told them I would like that, I'm 3 miles from the gym and would like to make that ride.

Haha 10k is ridiculous. Just give us $100 worth of steel bolted into concrete - it should take less than an hour to install and would be dirt cheap!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #348 on: March 17, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »

Haha 10k is ridiculous. Just give us $100 worth of steel bolted into concrete - it should take less than an hour to install and would be dirt cheap!

Yup and if it gets broken, some Boston lads will be happy to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXPrYEp6pQ

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #349 on: March 17, 2017, 03:33:36 PM »
Their heart was in the right place! I think more beer would have made that easier!