Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508043 times)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #250 on: February 06, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't...I mean, if people want a larger house, is it better that they have it on smaller, denser lots, or farther out in the sticks with more land between houses?  I know most of you think "well you just don't get a larger house" but given that people want and are going to buy one, isn't it better if they have them in denser suburbs?

Then it'll become like Tokyo, where the exterior wall of your neighbor's house is only 10 feet from the exterior wall of your house.

Not exaggerating, by the way. That was true in my neighborhood in Tokyo. It was all single family houses, not apartment buildings, and they were built super close together like that.

My wall is six feet from my neighbour's and that's the standard where I am. It feels very spacious after living in various apartments and terraces.

This. Isn't a six-ish foot gap standard in most suburban areas in Australia?
This seems like even more wasted space - is there anything productive that can be done with the space between houses?

On our side of the fence we're planting trees and shrubs, so yes, that's pretty productive. Other things that live alongside the sides of my house: washing line, gas hot water system, air conditioning unit. I would think that's pretty standard in Aus. Soon, I'll have a slimline garden shed and slimline rainwater tanks too!

My neighbours on one side appear to hate nature (their entire backyard is paved...) and don't seem to use the space alongside their place for anything at all. Weird.

Note: in Australia, pretty much everyone has a backyard washing line, AND pretty much everyone has a fenced backyard. It is super rare and weird to not have fencing along the sides and back of your property.

I get so confused when I watch American TV househunter like shows and there is no fence and no clothes line. more so the no fence, but its all so weird

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2017, 09:53:53 PM »
I get so confused when I watch American TV househunter like shows and there is no fence and no clothes line. more so the no fence, but its all so weird

Don't you think it would be kind of creepy to have a completely unfenced backyard? It's bad enough being able to see over my side fence into the neighbour's backyard at various points along the property line, NO WAY would I want to have an unfenced yard... I don't even like unfenced front yards!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »

Don't you think it would be kind of creepy to have a completely unfenced backyard? It's bad enough being able to see over my side fence into the neighbour's backyard at various points along the property line, NO WAY would I want to have an unfenced yard... I don't even like unfenced front yards!

yes exactly, its so weird. I cant even imagine who thought it was a good idea

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #253 on: February 07, 2017, 12:43:57 AM »
Note: in Australia, pretty much everyone has a backyard washing line, AND pretty much everyone has a fenced backyard. It is super rare and weird to not have fencing along the sides and back of your property.

I have hung my washing lines above the balcony, which has a roof over it. I hate it when the almost dry laundry gets rained over. Of course, we have a very different climate from Australia.

My yard only has a fence on one side and I think it was the neighbour on that side that set it up. The yard is quite big and there are trees. I haven't really missed the fence.
Lines of high shrubberies along your yard make your house more attractive for thieves, according to the police.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #254 on: February 07, 2017, 12:55:32 AM »

Probably the people who asked what it costs to put up a fence around a suburban sized lot.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2017, 01:00:38 AM »

Probably Obama. Thanks Obama :-( Trump would've built a wall for sure.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2017, 04:47:26 AM »
In Texas the yards all have fences too, so it was an adjustment for me to come north where they aren't nearly so common.

Of course I have no interest in paying to put one up...

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2017, 05:25:24 AM »

Probably the people who asked what it costs to put up a fence around a suburban sized lot.

Exactly. Our lot is an acre, and most of it is wooded. There is also a stream running through it, which can be anywhere from 1' deep to maybe 12' deep when we get a lot of rain. There are a couple of houses upstream that have tried to put in split-rail fences, and I've seen pieces of them floating downstream during big storms.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:50:19 AM by Dave1442397 »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2017, 06:45:54 AM »
In Texas the yards all have fences too, so it was an adjustment for me to come north where they aren't nearly so common.

This. My parents fenced in their yard because they have a dog. After seeing what it costs to fence in 2 acres? NOPE.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2017, 08:07:21 AM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't...I mean, if people want a larger house, is it better that they have it on smaller, denser lots, or farther out in the sticks with more land between houses?  I know most of you think "well you just don't get a larger house" but given that people want and are going to buy one, isn't it better if they have them in denser suburbs?

Then it'll become like Tokyo, where the exterior wall of your neighbor's house is only 10 feet from the exterior wall of your house.

Not exaggerating, by the way. That was true in my neighborhood in Tokyo. It was all single family houses, not apartment buildings, and they were built super close together like that.

I'd be thrilled if my neighbor's house were that far away. My house is six inches from the property line, and his is a few feet on the other side.

This is a hundred year old "streetcar suburb" in Buffalo.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #260 on: February 07, 2017, 08:17:47 AM »

My wall is six feet from my neighbour's and that's the standard where I am. It feels very spacious after living in various apartments and terraces.

This. Isn't a six-ish foot gap standard in most suburban areas in Australia?
This seems like even more wasted space - is there anything productive that can be done with the space between houses?

The space between houses here basically just exists as a path between back and front yards.  One side I had a nasty old patio/sidewalk I ripped out, and put down sod and a plant bed.  On the other side it's literally just sidewalk and fence.  Good way to get the mower from back to front and back again though. 

Pic is in process of tearing out the old patio (2 very long, hard days' work with a jackhammer).

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: February 07, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
We live in a condo with most people renting. Our neighbor is a single 40 year old lady who eats out everyday and has stuff delivered every two or three days. But ends up with late payment notice every few months.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: February 07, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »

Don't worry, your neighbor will pay for it...

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »

Might depend on the layout. Growing up our neighborhood spanned a rolling hill with all the backyards facing in. It looked like a park or a meadow, all the lots were large enough that you couldn't see anyone's business. A few neighbor kids might stray over if we were playing in the backyard, or we might hike up to their house if they were out. We loved up on our older neighbors' little old dog. And put may baskets and valentines in mailboxes. Our retired neighbor lady taught me how to knit swinging on her front porch. I know there was one yard where we weren't allowed to play, but with our own yards, no one felt the need. All of us neighbors knew each other.

Where I live now, the houses are too close. We've been here eight years, and I could only pick my next door neighbor out of a line up if she was wearing her gardening sunhat. For good or worse, that's what comes of fences.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2017, 01:29:55 AM »
We live in a condo with most people renting. Our neighbor is a single 40 year old lady who eats out everyday and has stuff delivered every two or three days. But ends up with late payment notice every few months.

Surely there would be mileage for landlords in making rent due the day after their tenant's payday.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »

Surely there would be mileage for landlords in making rent due the day after their tenant's payday.
maybe but these people could never cover the transition phase :-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »

I've found it better to insist on a class of tenants that has enough in the way of organization skills to set aside rent money and keep it. Disorganized tenants cause more damage than they're worth due to other habits of theirs that are extremely hard on buildings.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »

I've found it better to insist on a class of tenants that has enough in the way of organization skills to set aside rent money and keep it. Disorganized tenants cause more damage than they're worth due to other habits of theirs that are extremely hard on buildings.

One of the things landlords can do in Australia is to have rent money paid directly from the government for tenants in receipt of welfare benefits. Having a direct debit from Centrelink means that even if the ratbag tenants trash your place, knock down the walls and burn it to the ground, at least the rent will 100% always be on time.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »

One of the things landlords can do in Australia is to have rent money paid directly from the government for tenants in receipt of welfare benefits. Having a direct debit from Centrelink means that even if the ratbag tenants trash your place, knock down the walls and burn it to the ground, at least the rent will 100% always be on time.

I've had welfare tenants who paid on time and didn't trash the place. Simply receiving welfare isn't a warning sign of dirtbaggery. The most thorough trashing of rooms or apartments I've ever seen came from people who were employed. One of them-- I'll call him Michelangelo-- painted a nude portrait of himself on the ceiling.

The only connection I've found so far between the way a tenant gets his or her income and whether that tenant is a dirtbag is when the tenant's rent is being paid by family members who live in town. That's a gigantic red flag.

Organizational skills, however, are in my opinion a huge predictor of future tenant reliability.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2017, 06:09:11 AM »

Agreed with TGS that being a ratbag and being on welfare are not related.

In the UK housing allowance used to be paid straight to landlords. Then they tried to pay it to tenants so that they could get used to managing their money and paying their rent. For some people it worked. For others it was an utter disaster. Landlords were not impressed.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #270 on: February 09, 2017, 08:40:15 AM »

Agreed with TGS that being a ratbag and being on welfare are not related.

In the UK housing allowance used to be paid straight to landlords. Then they tried to pay it to tenants so that they could get used to managing their money and paying their rent. For some people it worked. For others it was an utter disaster. Landlords were not impressed.

The same circumstances that lead to a person being on welfare often contribute to a lack of organizational skills, such as the ability to pay rent on time and clean up after oneself. It can also impair a person's ability to get along with his or her neighbors.

Developmental delays, intellectual limitations, old head injuries, personality disorders, and mental illnesses are all legitimate grounds for receiving government help. But just because a person's getting financial help from the government doesn't mean he or she is capable of living independently and functioning like an adult. Many receive a higher level of aid so that they can live in, say, a nursing home or assisted living facility. In addition, there's a sizable gray area consisting of people who really would be better served in a structured environment such as a group home, if for some reason staying with family isn't an option, but that are living in apartments or rented rooms instead.

It's a very sad state of affairs that the demand for group homes and structured living options exceeds the supply. Nobody wants to go back to the days of abusive, prison-like institutions but at the same time wandering around the neighborhood isn't safe for a person with a deteriorating condition like Alzheimer's.

Generally when staying with family isn't an option, it's because of the level of care and supervision required to interact with that person. That's a politically correct way of saying that the family member's behavior is so unpleasant or egregious that it's a full-time job just to clean up after that person and keep him or her from self destructing. Long-term, people can't live that way.

What I never want to do is to take on a tenant who really needs a higher level of care than I'm willing/able/qualified to provide, or who has a high cost of doing business because of some aspect of their behavior they can't or won't fix. It won't be cash flow positive.

I've got no problem renting to people whose income comes from SSI or Disability, and I find that my single room tenants who are on disability and food stamps can more than qualify for the room rental when the government aid is factored into their income. That's because this is a relatively low cost of living area and I'm renting out a single room and not, say, the entire house. But I won't sign up to be a Section 8 landlord because I'm not prepared to work the business model necessary to cater to the organizationally-impaired. I can easily accommodate a tenant who's missing a leg, who uses a walker or a wheelchair, or who's got visual or auditory impairments. That's a minor change to the layout of the house, at worst. What I cannot deal with is a tenant who jerks me around or who is incapable of holding up his or her end of an agreement. With a Section 8 tenant, that's the demographic. It's not necessarily their fault, and I do agree that they need shelter just as much as the next person, but the only effective way to serve that customer demographic is to set it up in a very structured way with lots of rules and supervision... which I personally don't have the wherewithal to enforce. Doing it any other way results in property damage. Given that I don't have the wherewithal to set up a proper Section 8 operation, I do not believe that I should be required to take on a substantial amount of extra, unnecessary work and heartache while also operating at a financial loss. That's not business.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:43:08 AM by TheGrimSqueaker »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: February 09, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Posting to follow!

My neighbors across the street moved in last summer.  It appeared to be just one family at first.  However, now, there are definitely at least grown men, and two women that I've seen.  5 cars, none in the garage, which means I have to be careful when I back out.

They aren't loud or anything, they keep up with the yard, and the kids smile and wave if they're outside playing, so I can't complain too much.

It actually makes me wonder if we could get another family to move in and cut our expenses down!

gardeningandgreen

• Bristles
    • Gardening and Green
« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »
Ok so this isn't actually my neighbor but it is in my town... https://www.wday.com/news/4189161-small-fire-starts-man-uses-blow-torch-remove-ice-near-his-moorhead-home

I would also like to point out that a fake news story circulates every year about someone doing something like this and this year someone finally actually did it. Great job guys.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #273 on: February 09, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
following

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: February 09, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
Our current neighborhood seems a little better than our previous one. In our previous neighborhood there were tons of houses with trucks too big for the garage and nice cars parked in driveways or on the street because of junk in the garage (including a Lotus Esprit!). And then there was the guy that just spent all his time sitting in his garage blaring music into the neighborhood. And would have big front yard parties with his motorcycle buddies, some of whom would rev their bike engine's for minutes at a time...

In our current neighborhood the worst seems to be people that care way too much for their lawn. I've seen a guy with a riding lawnmower on his ~20-foot square patch of front lawn...

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
Ok so this isn't actually my neighbor but it is in my town... https://www.wday.com/news/4189161-small-fire-starts-man-uses-blow-torch-remove-ice-near-his-moorhead-home

I would also like to point out that a fake news story circulates every year about someone doing something like this and this year someone finally actually did it. Great job guys.

I am glad you guys are now safe from the Moorhead Fire Department.  ;)
Quote from: WDAY News
The Moorhead Fire Department was able to put out the small fire within a half an hour and is no longer a danger to the homeowner or neighbors.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: February 10, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »
Any time a house juts up above the adjacent homes by more than one story, or is set noticeably closer to the street, it kind of draws attention to itself. It's like an erection in math class. You don't want to look at it, you don't want to acknowledge its presence, but it can't help but attract notice.

please, please google "the v street middle finger".  It's the most hated house modification in Washington DC. and has been the cause of many resident fights and zoning changes.  It's referenced in almost every briefing of "what not to do"

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #277 on: February 10, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »

I live in Washington DC and our public design manuals and property laws were created a few centuries ago.  In most parts of the "old city" in DC, no one actually owns their front yards.  In fact, I have a bay front victorian and the entire portion of that bay is on city-owned property.  The city allows residents to use that land and in return, we are responsible for maintaining it (decent landscape, shoveling snow, etc).  To put up a small ornamental iron fence, I had to get a permit to use public space.

One of the stranger rules is for homes with driveways -- not allowed to park in driveways in front of homes because it messes up the view of the street for the rest of the people. DC planners looked at these front yards as part of the public parks system, for everyone's enjoyment.  So we're not even allowed to grow hedges over 42 inches in the front yards! 
I know it's weird and very difficult to accept if you're not used to it (I wasn't), but once you understand the reason (and it's limited to the old city), it's really kind of pretty and you appreciate the history behind it.  It also makes me appreciate my walks more because I share a secret with the original designers of this city.   Long stretches of greenery and nature down every block. 

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: February 10, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »

I live in Washington DC and our public design manuals and property laws were created a few centuries ago.  In most parts of the "old city" in DC, no one actually owns their front yards.  In fact, I have a bay front victorian and the entire portion of that bay is on city-owned property.  The city allows residents to use that land and in return, we are responsible for maintaining it (decent landscape, shoveling snow, etc).  To put up a small ornamental iron fence, I had to get a permit to use public space.

One of the stranger rules is for homes with driveways -- not allowed to park in driveways in front of homes because it messes up the view of the street for the rest of the people. DC planners looked at these front yards as part of the public parks system, for everyone's enjoyment.  So we're not even allowed to grow hedges over 42 inches in the front yards! 
I know it's weird and very difficult to accept if you're not used to it (I wasn't), but once you understand the reason (and it's limited to the old city), it's really kind of pretty and you appreciate the history behind it.  It also makes me appreciate my walks more because I share a secret with the original designers of this city.   Long stretches of greenery and nature down every block.

That sounds like a beautiful place to live.

I'd love to be able to walk down my sidewalk and seeing beautifully landscaped homes everywhere.  Instead, I can't walk without cars blocking the sidewalk, because they didn't pull into their drive way all the way, or there are two cars in one spot.  There is a HOA rule against this, but I'd say 15% of the homes block the sidewalk at times.  *sigh*

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
As much as I like cars (car enthusiast here) - I wouldn't mind living some place where they were unnecessary and not such an dominant part of the landscape.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: February 17, 2017, 12:06:38 AM »
I am glad you guys are now safe from the Moorhead Fire Department.  ;)
Quote from: WDAY News
The Moorhead Fire Department was able to put out the small fire within a half an hour and is no longer a danger to the homeowner or neighbors.
Ha!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: February 19, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »

LOL. I just bought a single family home a few weeks back, here in the states. There isn't a fence anywhere, and there never will be one. The backyard looks down a valley, for miles. The view of rolling hills and farmland is like a postcard, and a major factor in quickly grabbing the place, and buying it, literally hours after it was first listed. The folks we meet in the area ask where we moved to, and then comment about how lucky we got to score a house where we did, because of the view. (which would be lost with a fence)  Interesting how different culture are. In many towns in this area, not only do you need permits to put fences up, they are very restricted, in height, design and placement, or flat out denied, often to protect your neighbors from getting "walled in" and losing the open feeling that is so common here. The community we  moved from had a rule of no fences at all, period.

As for wash lines, I'm pretty sure that we moved to the wash line capital of North America. There are 30K+ Amish in the area, and they are real serious about line drying. They typically have long line that travels between two pullies. One attached to the porch, the other can be 100 feet away, and thirty feet up the side of a barn, or on a "telephone pole" planted just to hold the line up. A tour of the neighborhood on "wash day" features their famous black outfits, colorful dresses and shirts, and the usual underwear and sheets being clipped to the line, and then pulled high up and away from the porch, as the farm women add more. Doesn't matter if it's 25*F and snowing, or a perfect day for hanging wash, it still gets hung.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:07:51 PM by paddedhat »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »

As for wash lines, I'm pretty sure that we moved to the wash line capital of North America. There are 30K+ Amish in the area, and they are real serious about line drying. They typically have long line that travels between two pullies. One attached to the porch, the other can be 100 feet away, and thirty feet up the side of a barn, or on a "telephone pole" planted just to hold the line up.

You have described my clothes line.  I stand on my back deck to hang out the wash, one pulley is attached to the house and the other is high up on a telephone pole (only purpose is to hold my clothes line) at the back of the lot.  Rural area, we all have backyard clothes lines.  I don't use it a lot in winter though, since clothes freeze instead of drying, and I am afraid of breaking fibres when I take them off the line.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »

I'd love to be able to walk down my sidewalk and seeing beautifully landscaped homes everywhere.  Instead, I can't walk without cars blocking the sidewalk, because they didn't pull into their drive way all the way, or there are two cars in one spot.  There is a HOA rule against this, but I'd say 15% of the homes block the sidewalk at times.  *sigh*

This is one of my fiance's biggest irritations.  He is visually impaired and in low light environments (so in the evening or at night) he is completely blind and has to walk with a cane.  When cars are blocking the side walk he has to go around them, which often means stepping into the street, which is ridiculously dangerous on busier streets.  Luckily the cane finds the cars before his shins do, but it's still a jerk move to park your car that way.  Also, he has the ability to physically walk around the car but those who are in wheel chairs don't - they are just stuck if their wheel chairs don't have the ability to go off the side walk and around the car.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2017, 08:30:13 AM »

This is one of my fiance's biggest irritations.  He is visually impaired and in low light environments (so in the evening or at night) he is completely blind and has to walk with a cane.  When cars are blocking the side walk he has to go around them, which often means stepping into the street, which is ridiculously dangerous on busier streets.  Luckily the cane finds the cars before his shins do, but it's still a jerk move to park your car that way.  Also, he has the ability to physically walk around the car but those who are in wheel chairs don't - they are just stuck if their wheel chairs don't have the ability to go off the side walk and around the car.
I know this is passive-aggressive, but I report cars to the police immediately when they block access to sidewalks or crosswalks, sidewalk ramps, etc.   I have  ZERO tolerance for someone who is too fucking lazy to do the right thing and ends up making life that much harder for a disabled person.  Now for the aggressive-aggressive part:  I also advocate that anyone who is not disabled but who parks in handicapped parking should have one ankle hobbled (think Kathy Bates in Misery).  Second offense is the other ankle.   Honestly, this is not something that ever gets done "by accident" so I think the punishment should be very severe. 
Sorry for the rant, this stuff just makes me lose it.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
ow for the aggressive-aggressive part:  I also advocate that anyone who is not disabled but who parks in handicapped parking should have one ankle hobbled (think Kathy Bates in Misery). Second offense is the other ankle.   Honestly, this is not something that ever gets done "by accident" so I think the punishment should be very severe. 

I fully understand your frustration.

I assume there will be no second offense, since the person, now hobbled, will be fully qualified for that handicapped spot :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »

I know this is passive-aggressive, but I report cars to the police immediately when they block access to sidewalks or crosswalks, sidewalk ramps, etc.   I have  ZERO tolerance for someone who is too fucking lazy to do the right thing and ends up making life that much harder for a disabled person.  Now for the aggressive-aggressive part:  I also advocate that anyone who is not disabled but who parks in handicapped parking should have one ankle hobbled (think Kathy Bates in Misery).  Second offense is the other ankle.   Honestly, this is not something that ever gets done "by accident" so I think the punishment should be very severe. 

I have a coworker who has a handicapped tag (single, older) and uses it daily here at work. Also tells me about cutting down trees, splitting the wood, and stacking firewood - among other frontier like tasks. My grandmother used to encourage me to drive her car on errands for her so I could make use of her tag and park up front.

Ahh, no.

Canadian in KS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »

This drives me crazy too! When I'm pushing my toddler in the stroller and my kindergartener is on his scooter a few paces ahead of me and we come up to a car blocking the sidewalk, we all have to go out onto the (sometimes busy) street to get around the car. It's dangerous!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
Sidewalks seem like a nice idea... ;)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2017, 02:41:34 AM »
ow for the aggressive-aggressive part:  I also advocate that anyone who is not disabled but who parks in handicapped parking should have one ankle hobbled (think Kathy Bates in Misery). Second offense is the other ankle.   Honestly, this is not something that ever gets done "by accident" so I think the punishment should be very severe. 

I assume there will be no second offense, since the person, now hobbled, will be fully qualified for that handicapped spot :)

Broken ankles heal. You'd just want it to be enough for a few weeks of inconvenience so they can understand people's pain. But your also have to tag their car with something so they couldn't park in the disabled space and had to hobble on crutches from the other end of the car park.

I have seen big car parks with disabled spaces in prime position and then "family" spaces (painted with a buggy sign) nearby. I think it's a nice idea. Us able-bodied adults can walk a few extra seconds no problem, but hauling a car full of children can get tiring quickly. Maybe it would also cut accidents as the too-short-to-be-seen and not-understanding-car-safety children wouldn't have to walk across so much car park.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2017, 03:57:23 AM »

Broken ankles heal. You'd just want it to be enough for a few weeks of inconvenience so they can understand people's pain. But your also have to tag their car with something so they couldn't park in the disabled space and had to hobble on crutches from the other end of the car park.

I have seen big car parks with disabled spaces in prime position and then "family" spaces (painted with a buggy sign) nearby. I think it's a nice idea. Us able-bodied adults can walk a few extra seconds no problem, but hauling a car full of children can get tiring quickly. Maybe it would also cut accidents as the too-short-to-be-seen and not-understanding-car-safety children wouldn't have to walk across so much car park.

I generally park as far from the entrance of a location as the car park allows me. It's usually the quietest and allows me to get a bit more exercise so that my FitBit doesn't grumble at me.

The 'disabled' and 'parent and child' spots are great when situated close to the entrance, as you say. The problem comes when I see people who are neither disabled, nor have children with them, parked in the bays. I've found that it's either pimped up Corsas or luxury vehicles that occupy these spaces "illegally" which speaks volumes about the sense of entitlement some people have.

On a side topic, what is the term for doing something "illegal" that isn't actually against the law but merely against the conditions. Like, for example, parking in a parent & child space when not with a child.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: March 02, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »
I'm not going to comment on how deplorable it is for people to park in a spot for disabled people when they have no disability. But I will put out a friendly reminder that not all handicaps are outwardly visible. When it is a stranger in a parking lot, it's generally better not to judge. 

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: March 02, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »
I'm not going to comment on how deplorable it is for people to park in a spot for disabled people when they have no disability. But I will put out a friendly reminder that not all handicaps are outwardly visible. When it is a stranger in a parking lot, it's generally better not to judge.

This.  My Dad recently suffered a leg injury.  For the first two months he was visibly disabled.  Now he is closer to normal but has a temporary tag until May.  I was defiantly feeling a bit paranoid about others thoughts last weekend when I was visiting and we parked in Handicap spots because of Dad's leg. 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #293 on: March 02, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »

Thank you. My disability is rarely visible, but the pain is always there.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: March 02, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »

Thank you. My disability is rarely visible, but the pain is always there.
Yeah, i usually figure if they're parked there, its for good reason.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: March 03, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »

I completely agree. In order to park in a disabled bay in the UK you need a disabled permit that you display in the windscreen of your car.

For those parking there that I mentioned previously this is not there.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2017, 01:09:28 AM »

I completely agree. In order to park in a disabled bay in the UK you need a disabled permit that you display in the windscreen of your car.

For those parking there that I mentioned previously this is not there.

My husband had earlier some tickets in his car that made it clear that disabled places are only meant for disabled people. He used to put those on the windscreen of cars without a disabled permit parked in such a place. I think this helps a bit. Some of the people who park illegally in such places just hope that they can do so unnoticed and this ticket made it very clear that it was noticed and not appreciated.

Something like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ad/42/e1/ad42e16016e8ffda34889895b25a6e70.jpg

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: March 03, 2017, 02:22:21 AM »

Absolutely agree, but in the UK we have the Blue Badge system. If you're not displaying a blue badge, you 99.9999% shouldn't be there. (My grandmother has one because she's 90 with a cane and a heart condition. My mother had to make her get it after she realised she couldn't walk to the supermarket from the far end of the car park without having a ten minute rest halfway. I'm still convinced Granny doesn't use it when we're not there because she doesn't think she deserves it.)

Also, does anyone here report it? If so, who to?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:26:37 AM by shelivesthedream »

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »

Absolutely agree, but in the UK we have the Blue Badge system. If you're not displaying a blue badge, you 99.9999% shouldn't be there. (My grandmother has one because she's 90 with a cane and a heart condition. My mother had to make her get it after she realised she couldn't walk to the supermarket from the far end of the car park without having a ten minute rest halfway. I'm still convinced Granny doesn't use it when we're not there because she doesn't think she deserves it.)

I also have the feeling that those who need it most generally don't use them.

Regarding your reporting question, I have not reported people for this and have no clue where I would do so. The "problem" is that there are typically quite a few disabled bays which means that, even with the illegal* parking, there are plenty of spaces available. This makes me feel like a complaint wouldn't be taken seriously. It's also likely to be the justification the people parking there tell themselves.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »

We have the same system, and I've only reported it once for a chronic offender at my apartment complex (dude basically thought it was his private parking spot -- if he had a hidden disability then he had months to get the plaque, and notably he stopped parking there after the first ticket).  The fines are pretty big here and the police love getting that sweet fine money.  They might not send someone right away, but if your city is big enough to have a parking division they will swing by