Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508053 times)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
True,  but it's all water soluble.

However, hot water causes proteins to curdle/fold, so a lot of those water soluble liquids will end up pretty annoying to get out of your pretty rock walls with large gaps. I'd agree with powerwashing instead.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2017, 10:54:17 PM »
True,  but it's all water soluble.

However, hot water causes proteins to curdle/fold, so a lot of those water soluble liquids will end up pretty annoying to get out of your pretty rock walls with large gaps. I'd agree with powerwashing instead.

He calls himself "gimp" for a reason, folks...

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »
I already talked about my Antimustachian neighbour with an MBA in finance who can't keep the roof over her head but goes out to eat every day with "clients" of her new MLM essential oil business.

Another gem this weekend on her Facebook:

Her laptop seemed to turn on, made all the right noises, but the screen stayed black. She wrote on Facebook that she was looking for a new computer because this happened and ipso-facto, it was dead and she needed a new one. I had had the same issue with my old MacBook (same computer as hers), and it was just a question of resetting a few things. No biggie. I sent her an article straight from Apple with 3 troubleshooting options she should try, telling her that if the computer was still making the start-up noises, it was probably just a software issue that could be fixed.

She asks me if I can do it for her, I tell her no, but here's an article. (I was busy and the woman can barely tie her own shoes it seems - my BF and I are tired of always helping her when she can't help herself).

Today I find again on Facebook, that she went to Apple (for them to do the EXACT troubleshooting in the article I sent her). That the computer turned back on no problem, but that this was probably a sign that she needs to "renew" for the new year. And to send her positive energy and wishes of abundance for 2017 - and that she's now looking at 1,300$ refurbished MacBooks.

The brain. It hurts.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
I thought $1300 is the cost of a new Macbook, not a refurbished one?

Sorry, the cost is probably about $50, with Apple's markup being $1250

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »

Surely you aren't doubting the neighbour?!? They have an MBA in finance!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2017, 02:24:01 PM »

Surely you aren't doubting the neighbour?!? They have an MBA in finance!

1,300$ CAD (we're in Québec) is the price of a refurbished one here...

And although I did mention that she has an MBA in finance, I am very much aware that formal education in no way indicates someone's level of intelligence. I find it ironic nonetheless though.

At first it made me sad. Now it's just making me angry. She watches environmental documentaries with us sometimes (we love most documentaries in general) - she notes how sad it is, how much garbage our society creates, she posts on Facebook how we all have to be careful... and then she throws away an electronic device for being a bit wonky ONCE.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »

LOL, Apple may have gross margins of 40%, but 2500% would be quite a feat

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »
Technically this is my roommate, not a neighbor, but sorta works here.

Back story:
She got fired last year. Didn't look for a job for 6+ months. When she did finally get a job, its a part time minimum wage job. She is financially struggling, but I think her parents are giving her money to make up the difference. Oh, and she went to 3 conventions during her jobless period.

Anyway, she says tonight that the newest book in the series she likes is out and she needs to order it. "It's not that much."

I am moving out in 6 months.

Edit: some day, I will learn to type and not skip words.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:36:08 PM by Sibley »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2017, 11:32:44 PM »

Someone has been window shopping... ;)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2017, 11:38:27 PM »

Is that the gross margin based on Apple's ridiculous transfer pricing arrangements with Ireland and the Netherlands? Or an actual cost of production in China?

I would guess the cost of production is closer to $50 than an inflated transfer pricing figure designed to increase US costs and shift revenues abroad.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2017, 07:28:38 AM »

I believe there's also a $CAD versus $USD conversion somewhere in the conversation.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »

Is that the gross margin based on Apple's ridiculous transfer pricing arrangements with Ireland and the Netherlands? Or an actual cost of production in China?

I would guess the cost of production is closer to $50 than an inflated transfer pricing figure designed to increase US costs and shift revenues abroad.

I don't know it was the first google result.  But the order of magnitude is right based on everything I've seen-- like this

If you go to an Apple Store and buy an iPhone 7 with 32GB of storage space, Apple will charge you $649. That device only costs $224.80 to make, after adding $5 for manufacturing costs, according to an estimate by research firm IHS, which took apart and studied Apple's latest phone

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-7-ihs-teardown-list-of-component-prices-2016-9

I don't know the details of what you consider to be ridiculous pricing, but if it truly costs $50, you should be able to get a phone very much like the iPhone for like $100, right?  Is this possible?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »

I believe there's also a $CAD versus $USD conversion somewhere in the conversation.

Versus $AUD.

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »

I don't know it was the first google result.  But the order of magnitude is right based on everything I've seen-- like this

If you go to an Apple Store and buy an iPhone 7 with 32GB of storage space, Apple will charge you $649. That device only costs $224.80 to make, after adding $5 for manufacturing costs, according to an estimate by research firm IHS, which took apart and studied Apple's latest phone

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-7-ihs-teardown-list-of-component-prices-2016-9

I don't know the details of what you consider to be ridiculous pricing, but if it truly costs $50, you should be able to get a phone very much like the iPhone for like $100, right?  Is this possible?
I have a android phone made by Foxconn (apple manufacturers). Cost me aud$130 with express shipping from China...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2017, 01:58:50 AM »

I have a android phone made by Foxconn (apple manufacturers). Cost me aud$130 with express shipping from China...

Neat what are the specs?

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2017, 02:11:10 AM »

Neat what are the specs?
Infocus m560 - http://www.xiaomitoday.com/infocus-m560-review/

Unfortunately they didn't make them for long, tried to buy one for my SO a couple months later and couldn't (late last year). Has 4g band 28 that is very difficult to find in chinese phones, but useful in rural/outback areas of Australia.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2017, 02:22:57 AM »
I'll start with a small disclaimer, I have fantastic neighbours and I think of myself as very fortunate to live surrounded by such nice people. 

However I do question the choices made by a house on our street.  They have probably been in for around 18 months. 
During that time they have had (between a household of 4 adults) 8 brand new cars, there is always 3 cars and every few months the oldest gets replaced.

I wondered at first if maybe one of them works in a car leasing business or something but another neighbour has advised not.
The cars are financed and they trade them in when they want a change.  These aren't cheap cars either, the latest addition is an £80k ($100k) range rover sport.

We live on a street where the houses are worth between £180-250k, so by my estimation they have spent more on cars in the last year and a half than their house is worth. 

Are the cars they get always Land Rovers or do they change up the brand occasionally?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »

Neat what are the specs?

Unfortunately they didn't make them for long, tried to buy one for my SO a couple months later and couldn't (late last year). Has 4g band 28 that is very difficult to find in chinese phones, but useful in rural/outback areas of Australia.

looks like a good deal, but the fact that they didn't make them for long leads me to believe the prom price of $130 wasn't profitable.  Since the list a regular price of over $200, I'd guess the discounted price was closer to the manufacturing cost and they were liquidating their inventory.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the iPhones higher finishes and features did add another $100 to the manufacturing price. 

Maybe $50 is correct for just the silicon, metal, energy,  and assembly if everything is designed in house (i.e. Ignoring all design and plant costs) but of course any component apple doesn't drain and build itself has the design manufacturing costs plus third party profits built in.

In other words, if the entire iPhone was designed and manufactured by a single entity, the marginal unit cost could be as low as $50.  Perhaps that's what you were saying all along, that the $224 number includes profits by third party vendors?

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2017, 11:06:56 PM »
This is not really neighbours related but is real estate related so I thought I would post it here.

I rent an apartment. Recently I starting to get a lot of flyers advertising condos for sale. This is reasonable since I live in a fairly nice apartment building and many of my neighbours would consider buying. The odd/antimustachian thing about these flyers is they state "buy a house for xxx biweekly". They don't even list the total price of the home, just the biweekly mortgage payments. They don't even state what mortgage terms they are assuming.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2017, 11:54:56 PM »
This is not really neighbours related but is real estate related so I thought I would post it here.

I rent an apartment. Recently I starting to get a lot of flyers advertising condos for sale. This is reasonable since I live in a fairly nice apartment building and many of my neighbours would consider buying. The odd/antimustachian thing about these flyers is they state "buy a house for xxx biweekly". They don't even list the total price of the home, just the biweekly mortgage payments. They don't even state what mortgage terms they are assuming.
Common psychological marketing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2017, 01:15:01 AM »

Then it is guaranteed a trick with a very high mortgage. Just like when some items in the supermarket are not priced. They are always overly expensive.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2017, 01:31:44 AM »
Maybe $50 is correct for just the silicon, metal, energy,  and assembly if everything is designed in house (i.e. Ignoring all design and plant costs) but of course any component apple doesn't drain and build itself has the design manufacturing costs plus third party profits built in.

In other words, if the entire iPhone was designed and manufactured by a single entity, the marginal unit cost could be as low as $50.  Perhaps that's what you were saying all along, that the $224 number includes profits by third party vendors?

Sorry, just come back to this thread now. $50 was a finger-in-the-air number. I was under the impression all phones are pretty similar component wise, they just charge you more for the x amount of Gigabyte memory/storage? Maybe one of 2 features bump up the cost a bit more too, but I don't know these things.

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2017, 02:35:06 AM »

Neat what are the specs?

[/quote]

looks like a good deal, but the fact that they didn't make them for long leads me to believe the prom price of $130 wasn't profitable.  Since the list a regular price of over $200, I'd guess the discounted price was closer to the manufacturing cost and they were liquidating their inventory.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the iPhones higher finishes and features did add another $100 to the manufacturing price. 

[/quote]

Just noticed this reply! The phone was marketed as a US$100 phone for Indian market... Not sure where you got the $200 price from? It is high end finish, lower end specs.

I think it is interesting though how cheap the fancy metal casings must be to manufacture compared to the cost of 3rd party high end processor/graphics. Some clever marketing at play here to distinguish between cheap and expensive phones? Otherwise why are the regular ones plastic?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »

I think it is interesting though how cheap the fancy metal casings must be to manufacture compared to the cost of 3rd party high end processor/graphics. Some clever marketing at play here to distinguish between cheap and expensive phones? Otherwise why are the regular ones plastic?

Probably marketing, but plastic is also probably easier to assemble (snap-on vs. screws).  And like I alluded, Apple is trying to push the bar to distinguish itself - I don't personally care about "rotational 3d polishing" but it's gotta be a lot more expensive than the alternatives (even if the expense is still a small portion of overall cost): https://youtu.be/sbios0u2Px8?t=72

I also don't care if I have an A10 chip that can play games faster, or two cameras, but that is certainly differentiating and adds to the cost.

It sounds like your phone is more on par with older iphones -- consider that Apple likely spent money to develop the processes that make those finishes economic in the first place.  So without early adopters paying top price for these designs, last years designs would not be available at rock bottom prices.

None of that is to say you should waste money on an expensive phone you don't want.  I'm just not sure you can manufacture an iphone 7, with slightly lower processor specs, for $50.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »

Buy a condo for less than what it costs to stay a night at a local Motel 6!  Only $100 per night!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »

Buy a condo for less than what it costs to stay a night at a local Motel 6!  Only $100 per night!

The thought of that payment makes me shudder...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »
Not exactly a neighbor, but I went to visit a very old friend for the first time in ~8 years during the holidays. I was shocked to find him and his wife living absolutely at their means, when both of them have great jobs and bring in high salaries.

We were hanging out in his partially finished basement, and him and his wife got in an argument over what to do with the TV we were watching  (a very nice 40"+ TV) since they planned on buying an even bigger 65"+ TV the following week.
In fairness, you can get a 65" 4k "smart TV" from Costco for $800.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2017, 12:24:33 AM »
I actually do figure my housing costs (and other expenses) on a daily basis just for fun.  Especially when I replace something... like I figured my last laptop cost me 41 cents per day.  Definitely worth it in my book. Other stuff not so much

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »

haha!

I guess I need to change my marketing then!

For less than the cost of weekly lunches and staying in a cheap motel, you can own the home of your dreams!  Pay $120 per day and you will get a free car of your choice! 

The car cannot be over $20k MSRP at a competitive rate of 12% APR.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »

haha!

I guess I need to change my marketing then!

For less than the cost of weekly lunches and staying in a cheap motel, you can own the home of your dreams!  Pay $120 per day and you will get a free car of your choice! 

The car cannot be over $20k MSRP at a competitive rate of 12% APR.

That's starting to sound like a good deal... I mean, I have to eat and sleep anyway. And a free car? Incredible.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »

Who the heck pays $100/night for a local Motel 6? Unless local to you means a very HCOL place like SF during the Superbowl, you can find a motel for a lot cheaper nearly everywhere in the country. I've gotten by on $45/night rooms at Red Roof Inn too many times to count.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2017, 12:23:47 AM »
Who the heck pays $100/night for a local Motel 6? Unless local to you means a very HCOL place like SF during the Superbowl, you can find a motel for a lot cheaper nearly everywhere in the country. I've gotten by on $45/night rooms at Red Roof Inn too many times to count.
If only I could get a house for that price per night! I bet it wouldn't come with a car though...

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »
I live in a high COL area that is quickly gentrifying so my whole town is a goldmine of anti-mustachian stories.

I moved into my town in the metrowest Boston area in 1999.  This town is convenient to the interstate, had decent schools in the top third of the state, but wasn't one of the super quaint towns in MA with the well kept town center etc...  so the home prices were more affordable.  I considered it a high value town.  It was primarily a commuter town full of working class people and white collar professionals.  It has a large business center and a mall, but it is separated well from the residential area.  I bought a house that was bigger than I needed, because I wanted to have children in a few years, probably "average" for the town at the time.  1960 construction, multilevel 1800 sqft, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths.  Nothing fancy. 

In the last 18 years, there have been a lot of improvements to the town.  The town center, while still not great, is becoming nicer and more traditional looking.  The schools have become nearly top tier.  Since we have a large business community, we have dual tax rates which means very low property taxes compared to the surrounding towns.  With home prices in the Boston area skyrocketing, this has brought an influx of wealthier families with young children to the town.  So this has meant that there is a demand for housing, and home prices have more than doubled in that time.  Great for me because I have a lot of equity now.  But my town is starting the whole tear down, build McMansion process.  The houses that people are building are sheer insanity IMO and look ridiculous in this neighborhood.  I can't complain since their property taxes mean iPads in the school, great rec center services, paid trash pickup etc...  However, my average house is now one of the "worst" ones in that it is small and not brand new. 

The house across the street used to be a nice little ranch.  Five years ago (which is about when this all started) it got torn down and a decent sized colonial got built.  Then they decided a few years ago THAT wasn't big enough, so they added a huge addition.  The house basically takes up the entire 0.5 acre lot.  It's gigantic.  They have three garages filled and 2-3 cars in the driveway at all times. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »

My stepdad came to visit in Santa Barbara last year and was about to book the local motel 6 (which is horrible.  He and my mom stayed there years ago.)  It was $179 a night!

I found him an air-BNB for $99 a night, *right* before the city banned short term rentals.  He got in under the wire!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2017, 11:52:08 PM »
...The house across the street used to be a nice little ranch.  Five years ago (which is about when this all started) it got torn down and a decent sized colonial got built.  Then they decided a few years ago THAT wasn't big enough, so they added a huge addition.  The house basically takes up the entire 0.5 acre lot.  It's gigantic.  They have three garages filled and 2-3 cars in the driveway at all times.

I feel like this is happening in many places throughout the country. Everyday people are going into serious debt to tear down perfectly good homes and build McMansions that are way too big for the lot of land they are on. It's one of the main things that drew me to the MMM community; the idea of "enough".

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
...The house across the street used to be a nice little ranch.  Five years ago (which is about when this all started) it got torn down and a decent sized colonial got built.  Then they decided a few years ago THAT wasn't big enough, so they added a huge addition.  The house basically takes up the entire 0.5 acre lot.  It's gigantic.  They have three garages filled and 2-3 cars in the driveway at all times.

I feel like this is happening in many places throughout the country. Everyday people are going into serious debt to tear down perfectly good homes and build McMansions that are way too big for the lot of land they are on. It's one of the main things that drew me to the MMM community; the idea of "enough".

It really depends on the home and the neighborhood.  I say that sitting in my home that was once on the site of another home.  Some might say it's too big for my 40x110ft lot.  But at least my town is building things of "normal size."  600 sq ft ranches are being replaced with 1500-2000 sq ft 2 stories.  Some of the ranches are having their roofs torn off and the base taken down to the studs with a 2nd floor added on but a lot of that has to do with if the foundation is still ok and many aren't.  When they are getting renovated things such as energy efficient windows, heaters and insulation are added.  The 600 sq ft house would likely have been enough for me but I'm happy with my mini McMansion.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2017, 09:43:41 PM »

It really depends on the home and the neighborhood.  I say that sitting in my home that was once on the site of another home.  Some might say it's too big for my 40x110ft lot.  But at least my town is building things of "normal size."  600 sq ft ranches are being replaced with 1500-2000 sq ft 2 stories.  Some of the ranches are having their roofs torn off and the base taken down to the studs with a 2nd floor added on but a lot of that has to do with if the foundation is still ok and many aren't.  When they are getting renovated things such as energy efficient windows, heaters and insulation are added.  The 600 sq ft house would likely have been enough for me but I'm happy with my mini McMansion.

Building vertically does have the virtue of conserving heat and stabilizing the temperature indoors, provided the seals around the windows and doors are good and the place is insulated according to modern standards.

Replacing a bungalow with, say, a split-level or a 2-story house, or adding a basement to increase usable square footage, doesn't strike me as offensive because it doesn't significantly break up the lines of the neighborhood in terms of vertical development and overall distance from the road. One and two-story houses are pretty normal. I'd rather see a 2-story house with a small footprint than an oozing behemoth of a bungalow edging Blob-like toward the sidewalk as though it wished to devour the pedestrians before overlapping the property lines and snacking on the neighbors' shrubbery. With an understated roof it might top out reasonably well in line with its neighbors.

Any time a house juts up above the adjacent homes by more than one story, or is set noticeably closer to the street, it kind of draws attention to itself. It's like an erection in math class. You don't want to look at it, you don't want to acknowledge its presence, but it can't help but attract notice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2017, 01:32:36 AM »

Building vertically does have the virtue of conserving heat and stabilizing the temperature indoors, provided the seals around the windows and doors are good and the place is insulated according to modern standards.

Replacing a bungalow with, say, a split-level or a 2-story house, or adding a basement to increase usable square footage, doesn't strike me as offensive because it doesn't significantly break up the lines of the neighborhood in terms of vertical development and overall distance from the road.

You are right that vertical, compact houses are smart for saving energy. Unfortunately my community only allows the low end of the roof to be very low. In practice this means that the second floor of the house cannot be full stand-up height. The only solution is indeed to make a cellar that is dug into the ground, with only small high windows. This is more difficult in building to keep free of moisture.

The most beneficial is to live in an apartment block. When we did, many years ago, we never had the heating on, except for in the bedroom half an hour before going to bed. We used only 1300 KWh a year! Warm water was included in the rental price, though.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
Right, I am not talking about making more efficient use of land space here.  I am talking about just building giant houses on smallish lots.  There is one around the corner of my house, 3000 sqft with three car garage, replaced a perfectly good house that was likely 1500-2000 sqft.  $930,000 selling price.  I mean I get it, the developer probably paid around 400,000 for the land and building bigger houses means more profit.  It still seems wasteful.  And our town has 0.5 acre lot zoning.  I have seen the same houses squeezed on 0.33 and 0.25 acre lots in other towns. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2017, 09:46:27 AM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't...I mean, if people want a larger house, is it better that they have it on smaller, denser lots, or farther out in the sticks with more land between houses?  I know most of you think "well you just don't get a larger house" but given that people want and are going to buy one, isn't it better if they have them in denser suburbs?

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #240 on: February 06, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't...I mean, if people want a larger house, is it better that they have it on smaller, denser lots, or farther out in the sticks with more land between houses?  I know most of you think "well you just don't get a larger house" but given that people want and are going to buy one, isn't it better if they have them in denser suburbs?

Then it'll become like Tokyo, where the exterior wall of your neighbor's house is only 10 feet from the exterior wall of your house.

Not exaggerating, by the way. That was true in my neighborhood in Tokyo. It was all single family houses, not apartment buildings, and they were built super close together like that.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: February 06, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »
Embrace terraced housing? It's the norm for much (most?) UK towns. And the houses either side offer excellent insulation!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: February 06, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »

Then it'll become like Tokyo, where the exterior wall of your neighbor's house is only 10 feet from the exterior wall of your house.

Not exaggerating, by the way. That was true in my neighborhood in Tokyo. It was all single family houses, not apartment buildings, and they were built super close together like that.

The exterior of my 1700 sq ft house is already only 10-15' from my neighbor's house on both sides...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »
Tokyo has very low housing costs for a first-world city...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2017, 01:38:21 PM »
Fire risk???

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Tokyo has very low housing costs for a first-world city...

?  Restaurant food can be objectively cheap but rents are rather high.  Or are you talking about single family homes outside the city proper?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2017, 05:58:04 PM »

My wall is six feet from my neighbour's and that's the standard where I am. It feels very spacious after living in various apartments and terraces.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »

My wall is six feet from my neighbour's and that's the standard where I am. It feels very spacious after living in various apartments and terraces.

This. Isn't a six-ish foot gap standard in most suburban areas in Australia?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: February 06, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »

This seems like even more wasted space - is there anything productive that can be done with the space between houses?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2017, 07:18:07 PM »

This seems like even more wasted space - is there anything productive that can be done with the space between houses?

On our side of the fence we're planting trees and shrubs, so yes, that's pretty productive. Other things that live alongside the sides of my house: washing line, gas hot water system, air conditioning unit. I would think that's pretty standard in Aus. Soon, I'll have a slimline garden shed and slimline rainwater tanks too!

My neighbours on one side appear to hate nature (their entire backyard is paved...) and don't seem to use the space alongside their place for anything at all. Weird.

Note: in Australia, pretty much everyone has a backyard washing line, AND pretty much everyone has a fenced backyard. It is super rare and weird to not have fencing along the sides and back of your property.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!