Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508083 times)

Renegade23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2016, 12:01:08 PM »

I for one shut all of the doors upstairs and have the vents in the rooms that are frequently unused shut to be more efficient.

That is really bad for the A/C unit. They are designed for a certain level of pressure and closing vents increases that pressure in the ducts and causes the unit to work harder and burn out faster.

I used to do it and researched it, I immediately opened my vents up. The electrical savings are not worth my unit lasting 1/2 as long.
[/quote]

Depends on the space, no?

Say you've got a 3k sq ft house, and you close off one room that's... 140sq ft. The pressure difference isn't large enough to make a difference, I wouldn't think. Whereas cutting off a whole floor (or say 1000sq ft) would totally have an impact.

(In our case, it's a moot point - the rooms we don't want to heat are in the basement, and the wood stove is on the main floor, so heat distribution going up means that happens naturally. The electric furnace is a back-up for when we leave the house, and is rarely used.)
[/quote]

With a wood stove I doubt it'd make much of a difference either way. Just don't do it with an electrical unit if you can get away with it. I'm not a subject matter expert though, I just googled and stopped doing it after the research.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
Daughter (28) of a neighbor is going to buy a house with her boyfriend.  They each make about $32k; drink like fishes; and spend on whatever comes by.  The house they have chosen is a new house they will build on the largest lot in the newest subdivision.  Cost will be $230k plus the cost of the lot, but I expect it to go up from there.  There are lots of excellent remodeled homes in the $170k range that they could buy and modify, but they insist on new.  This will be a two-story, 3000 sq. ft. home with his Man Cave, two master bedrooms, another guest bedroom, and space for four vehicles.  She says “he has two cars, so I get two cars!”  They are planning on spending another $30k just for new furniture for the living room and dining room because what they have “isn’t good enough”.  She used his money to pay off her credit cards so they could apply for the house loan.

Sorry, but I just don’t understand this thinking.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »

No need to apologize, and I hope you don't spend a lot of time trying to understanding their reasoning (or lack thereof).

I can't imagine spending $30k on new furniture, even if I had nothing and needed to make my house look good. But then again, I took hand-me-down couches and got an employee to make me a coffee table (on company time) so I guess I'm not the go-to guy when it comes to furniture.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »

No need to apologize, and I hope you don't spend a lot of time trying to understanding their reasoning (or lack thereof).

I can't imagine spending $30k on new furniture, even if I had nothing and needed to make my house look good. But then again, I took hand-me-down couches and got an employee to make me a coffee table (on company time) so I guess I'm not the go-to guy when it comes to furniture.

Funny you should say that. I have a neighbor that is moving out of our neighborhood to a new (bigger) home. They were telling us about the bargain the got on a new table for 3k and all the various assorted other furniture. I don't know if it will hit 30k. But if the 3k table is a deal then who knows....

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »
Daughter (28) of a neighbor is going to buy a house with her boyfriend.  They each make about $32k; drink like fishes; and spend on whatever comes by.  The house they have chosen is a new house they will build on the largest lot in the newest subdivision.  Cost will be $230k plus the cost of the lot, but I expect it to go up from there.  There are lots of excellent remodeled homes in the $170k range that they could buy and modify, but they insist on new.  This will be a two-story, 3000 sq. ft. home with his Man Cave, two master bedrooms, another guest bedroom, and space for four vehicles.  She says “he has two cars, so I get two cars!”  They are planning on spending another $30k just for new furniture for the living room and dining room because what they have “isn’t good enough”.  She used his money to pay off her credit cards so they could apply for the house loan.

TWO master bedrooms?!  WHY?!

And what bank is going to give them a mortgage for that kind of money with earnings at that level?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2016, 06:08:18 PM »

TWO master bedrooms?!  WHY?!

And what bank is going to give them a mortgage for that kind of money with earnings at that level?
One master bedroom downstairs in case her Mother comes to visit someday.  Mom can't climb stairs.  One upstairs for them.  It will be a VA loan from his service in the Marines.  Don't know the bank.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »
My neighbors make a habit of leaving there gate open and unlatched.  Who does that?

My neighbor does.  The only reason my gates are closed is because I have a small dog I'm keeping fenced in when he's back there.  My neighbor has no dog.

My parents old neighbor used to.

He was a farmer. Had a huge bull with like 3-ft-long horns who would escape through the 'oops, forgot that!' open gate on a weekly basis.

Fortunately, this guy was a freakin' LEGEND - my mom had to call me in late to highschool a few times, and all she had to say was 'well, Ben got loose and is between us and the car' and the secretary was like 'oh god stay put just come in when he decides to leave'.

There are some advantages to city life, you guys. ;)

I have no animals but latching a gate is like turning the lights off when you leave or turning the water off when done, it is just what you do. :-)
Interesting. Never heard this view. Must all doors in your house be shut too?  I generally leave all bedroom doors open during the day when no one is in them, but I may have to rethink that!

Don't forget to put the gimp back in his cage

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2016, 08:26:16 PM »
I heard a noise from next door and when I looked out the window, I saw a man vacuuming the neighbor's lawn with a lawn vacuum.

I have twice as many leaves as them (which isn't a ton) and I just mulch-mow mine.

I can't wrap my head around the idea of paying someone to vacuum your lawn, which appeared to take three times as long as raking it and infinity times as long as simply mowing over the leaves.

Then I noticed that this lawn vacuum is becoming increasingly popular in my neighborhood. I can't believe that someone actually invented a vacuum for your lawn and that my ridiculous neighbors thought that vacuuming their lawns was a good idea.

I just bought one of these for like $30.  It's an electric blower but it also vacuums/mulches.  But I already had a blower I got for free, so it's just for the mulching.

Thing is, my lawn only needs to be mowed like once every 2-4 weeks.  But I learned the hard way that the grass WILL die if I let the leaves sit there for that long. 

I don't mind mowing/mulching the leaves, but I feel bad burning all that gas in a very polluting engine type, and it doesn't seem to do a very good job.

I could rake, but for whatever reason that takes me like an hour, and in the fall leaves build up daily.  Maybe I just suck at raking.

So I got the vacuum.  Just got it today and really happy with the result.  It doesn't take up much space and when my free mower finally dies, I'll probably be able to replace it with a reel mower (that's not able to mulch leaves anyways)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2016, 04:34:14 AM »

Funny you should say that. I have a neighbor that is moving out of our neighborhood to a new (bigger) home. They were telling us about the bargain the got on a new table for 3k and all the various assorted other furniture. I don't know if it will hit 30k. But if the 3k table is a deal then who knows....

Many years ago when we moved from a small apartment to a big house, we filled it up with second hand furniture bought on a flea market. In our current house we needed 2 more furniture items that I bought second hand from an equivalent to Craig's list, as well as a combi oven/microwave. We also recently replace the dining room table and chairs with second hand newer furniture. But we did once invest in a new sofa and chairs, although nowhere near 30k.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »
We bought a cheap couch and tables for the front room years ago. Looked nice, knew they weren't future heirlooms.

We have kids and critters - and knew the furniture would live a hard, short life. And it has. Finish is wearing through on one top. We might upgrade someday.

I can't imagine having a house full of furniture that you had to "protect" from the kids and critters. There are other things I want to worry more about than expensive furniture.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:15:53 PM by Joe Lucky »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2016, 09:16:14 AM »
If I were spending $30k on furniture (fat chance, and I'm both already FIREd and have much more than that at my disposal) I'd be looking at the catalogues for Christies and Sotheby's and Bonhams and so on and putting together a collection of some seriously nice art and antiques.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
Posting to follow but I have normal neighbours :(

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:27 AM »
On the community facebook page is filled with people asking for recommendations on what company
You can pay people to hang you Christmas lights?  Wow, I am out of touch. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2016, 08:11:39 AM »
On the community facebook page is filled with people asking for recommendations on what company

Well, I mean, you can hire someone to do pretty much any odd job that needs doing.

But the idea that there are companies specializing in this stuff is kinda out there.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »

Well, I mean, you can hire someone to do pretty much any odd job that needs doing.

But the idea that there are companies specializing in this stuff is kinda out there.

I'm guessing it's either A) enterprising individuals renting equipment and doing it as a side gig or B) some other type of company that has the high-lift equipment and a slow schedule in the winter so they diversified.  You've got to appreciate the hustle. 

Honestly, while I'd never pay someone to decorate my house (given all we do is a tree in the picture window and a wreath on the door) the types of houses around here that DO pay are generally 2-3 story houses that pay someone with a lift to decorate high up on the house and/or very large trees.  I can see not wanting to DIY that.  I can't see paying to have it done.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2016, 08:23:18 AM »

I'm guessing it's either A) enterprising individuals renting equipment and doing it as a side gig or B) some other type of company that has the high-lift equipment and a slow schedule in the winter so they diversified.  You've got to appreciate the hustle. 

Honestly, while I'd never pay someone to decorate my house (given all we do is a tree in the picture window and a wreath on the door) the types of houses around here that DO pay are generally 2-3 story houses that pay someone with a lift to decorate high up on the house and/or very large trees.  I can see not wanting to DIY that.  I can't see paying to have it done.

Yep. I have a large-ish colonial style house. I'm more and more appreciative of the colonial holiday look of putting wreaths/bows inside the windows and then some candles (led...) in the bottom of the window. NIce, festive, affordable, and put up inside without the help of a ladder. ;) we put up lights on the porch, but that's it.

And I totally appreciate the hustle! Great short-term seasonal gig, rock it! But the idea that there's enough business to support the hustle is kind of boggling.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »

I know a landscaper that does Christmas lights.  It keeps his crew working during slow months and revenue flowing.  Hangs the lights in December, takes them down in January.  He says that he actually makes more doing Christmas lights than he does mowing grass. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2016, 07:13:37 AM »

I know a landscaper that does Christmas lights.  It keeps his crew working during slow months and revenue flowing.  Hangs the lights in December, takes them down in January.  He says that he actually makes more doing Christmas lights than he does mowing grass.

And usually (at least in my area) the companies have all the supplies - they use their own lights, hangers, cords, etc, and when they take it down they also store it for the summer. So for someone who doesn't like the clutter, it can make a kind of sense.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2016, 07:21:31 AM »

This sounds like a great idea for a teenager looking for work over the Christmas break.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2016, 08:37:32 AM »

This sounds like a great idea for a teenager looking for work over the Christmas break.

Not actually though - lights go up in early December - right in the middle of finals and final essays.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »

That's a great idea. I know a couple of landscapers who do snow plowing in the winter, but for Christmas decorating your profit margin is unaffected by the amount of snow that falls.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2016, 09:32:19 AM »
We bought a cheap couch and tables for the front room years ago. Looked nice, knew they weren't future heirlooms.

We have kids and critters - and knew the furniture would live a hard, short life. And it has. Finish is wearing through on one top. We might upgrade someday.

I can't imagine having a house full of furniture that you had to "protect" from the kids and critters. There are other things I want to worry more about than expensive furniture.

Agreed

Foster dog chews on wooden arm of cheap moving sale futon: care level = 2 out of 100. Maybe I'll sand it some day so it's not so obviously chewed. I'm more concerned about teaching her not to chew on things that aren't toys so she is more successful in her new home than I am about the furniture.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2016, 11:37:23 AM »
Yes, here in Central TX, pretty much all the landscapers do the holiday lights hustle, and from what I've heard from neighbors, it is NOT cheap.  Estimates of $1K or more are to be expected, and all they do is what we refer to as "runway lights".  You can tell which houses pay for the service, they all have the same string of white bulbs perfectly attached to the roof lines of the house.  It really does look like a runway!

Many of the services will now also offer take down and storage service, and they provide the lights too; probably helps with repeat business.

OK, so here's my neighbor contribution.  My old neighborhood, our lovely next door neighbors.  Hubby has some medical issues, so I can tell he can see the value in being frugal.  He was always interested in our side hustles and our aggressive FIRE plan.  Wife would seem bored.  One time, he looked hopefully at his wife and asked her "Honey, when will we be starting our early retirement savings plan?"  Her response was quick and cool.  "But we like to buy things, dear!"  Ouch.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »

I visited a family friend in Florida in a newer subdivision specializing in custom mini-McMansions for retirees, and saw a lot of that.  Most of the trees to decorate are palm trees, which are hard and somewhat dangerous to do with just a ladder (no branches, smooth, round trunk) so they hire people with cherry pickers to do the decorating.  Which I would absolutely do if I was older and wanted nice decorations and had money.  I fail on #2, I'm not that fanatic about decorations, but I like seeing the ones other people put up, so I'm getting my money's worth at least.  :)

On the neighbors front, I live in a townhouse, and across the street is a townhouse with 3 drivers (2 parents, 1 older daughter) with 5 cars.  Since the garage is full, and the driveway only holds 2 cars, the other three get parked on the street, usually violating the rule about not parking opposite other people's driveways, like everyone else does on the street.  On the bright side, I was able to show people at work pictures of their Tesla and say "Hey, look what's parked at the end of *my* driveway now.  OK, not actually IN my driveway, admittedly. . . "  :) 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
There's a guy near me who lights up a really tall redwood every year (50 ft? 75?).  I just saw his cherry picker rental this year.  I had assumed he left the lights up (they would not be highly visible in the tree but apparently he rents it every year.  Ouch that's gotta add up.  These days you can get quality leds that never need to be replaced

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »
There's a guy near me who lights up a really tall redwood every year (50 ft? 75?).  I just saw his cherry picker rental this year.  I had assumed he left the lights up (they would not be highly visible in the tree but apparently he rents it every year.  Ouch that's gotta add up.  These days you can get quality leds that never need to be replaced

Right? For probably the price of one year of rental he could have the lights, a set of gaffs and a harness - after the first year running the cord would probably take less time than making the scheduling phone call and explaining what he wanted to the company.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »

I live in a Fl. neighborhood with abut 100 houses. About 15 have their Christmas lights up.
I have this idea to have printed a bunch of colorful awards saying the Christmas committee for "Such and Such"
subdivision has awarded you second place, Congratulations!
We encourage you to try a little harder next year as you were so close to receiving the First place award.
 Is that evil? :-)

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2016, 09:32:23 AM »

I live in a Fl. neighborhood with abut 100 houses. About 15 have their Christmas lights up.
I have this idea to have printed a bunch of colorful awards saying the Christmas committee for "Such and Such"
We encourage you to try a little harder next year as you were so close to receiving the First place award.

A subdivision a few streets over from me actually does hold a contest like this!  The funny thing is the couple same houses win every year because they are the only ones who bother to even put lights up :).

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »

A subdivision a few streets over from me actually does hold a contest like this!  The funny thing is the couple same houses win every year because they are the only ones who bother to even put lights up :).

My subdivision does this and I know of people who have paid over $1K to have their lights put up and taken down.  They look pretty, but it's not worth it to me.  I put out some lights and decorations and decorate my front window, but I don't want to do anymore or store the extra stuff.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »

My subdivision does this and I know of people who have paid over $1K to have their lights put up and taken down.  They look pretty, but it's not worth it to me.  I put out some lights and decorations and decorate my front window, but I don't want to do anymore or store the extra stuff.
  I don't put up lights, I just think it would be funny having the decorators competing every year
and everyone always receiving second place.
  I'll try to get a picture of one house that is decorated to the 9s, it looks nice and would get first place if there was a contest.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2016, 02:58:58 PM »
If you made a product that could be inconspicuously left up year round, that would be sweet.  I think you could do an ok job using those flat LED strips, but it wouldn't look as Christmassy as techno clubby unless the leds were spaced out more or given specific colors etc.  weather resistant attachment would be a problem

Never mind, :9'eone did it: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=37512228&nid=148

Would be a good option for people buying new homes if the tech can be integrated during construction.  "Save" thousands per year
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:01:33 PM by dragoncar »

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
It just totally defeats the purpose!!  Here in Mexico everyone's got maybe one string of lights.  No, not even everyone, a few people here and there.  Just one lonely tree with a sad string of lights.  Takes the pressure off!  But yeah, I do miss driving around and seeing all the lights.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
Interesting. Never heard this view. Must all doors in your house be shut too?  I generally leave all bedroom doors open during the day when no one is in them, but I may have to rethink that!

Don't forget to put the gimp back in his cage

Leave me alone.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2016, 12:27:49 AM »
Having said I was posting to follow, I've now remembered one. Second store names changed for US audience.

A group of neighbours were having a discussion about closets and whether we fold or hang various items. Focus was on levity as I'd confessed I fold my socks and underwear.

Neighbour 1. My daugthers have all their clothes hung in designer order. All the A&F, then Hollister, then Jack Wills and so on.
Collective response. ..............................silence............... then
Neighbour 2. Actually so do I. All the Target, then Walmart. And so on.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
Having said I was posting to follow, I've now remembered one. Second store names changed for US audience.

A group of neighbours were having a discussion about closets and whether we fold or hang various items. Focus was on levity as I'd confessed I fold my socks and underwear.

Neighbour 1. My daugthers have all their clothes hung in designer order. All the A&F, then Hollister, then Jack Wills and so on.

All the goodwill, all the Salvation Army, then comes the stuff I knit myself

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2016, 01:13:48 AM »

What happened to your username dragoncar???

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2016, 03:38:17 AM »

this isn't even my final form

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2016, 08:01:59 AM »
I live in a Fl. neighborhood...
*snip*

I would like to point out that a capital letter i (eye) "I" and a lowercase letter L (ell) "l" are the same character with this forum's font.  So, I was really excited that your entire neighborhood had already achieved FIRE, but apparently you just live in Florida...

this isn't even my final form

*gasp!*  If we give you a Moonstone when you hit level 50, will that do it?

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »

Where does the satisfaction come from?  I mean, $1k is a cheap European vacation...

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »

This continues...The builder now says it will be $296k to build the house.  To their credit they decided to look elsewhere.  One works in town; the other works about 40 miles north of here.  They commute in separate SUVs.  So where are they looking?  In the only HCL area, which is 30 miles south of here.  So they are going to force an extra 60 miles a day for each of their commutes.  I mentioned this, but got blown off because they don't consider it a problem.  I continue to be boggled...  This will no doubt continue because I'm sure they won't be able to afford a house in the HCL.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2016, 07:32:16 AM »
This continues...The builder now says it will be $296k to build the house.  To their credit they decided to look elsewhere.  One works in town; the other works about 40 miles north of here.  They commute in separate SUVs.  So where are they looking?  In the only HCL area, which is 30 miles south of here.  So they are going to force an extra 60 miles a day for each of their commutes.  I mentioned this, but got blown off because they don't consider it a problem.  I continue to be boggled...  This will no doubt continue because I'm sure they won't be able to afford a house in the HCL.

I don't get that kind of thinking either, but people still do it.

A co-worker has a set of in-laws who are clueless when it comes to finances. He doesn't know how much they make, but they qualify for those free government cellphones and a bunch of other free stuff.

They bought a house a couple of years ago and had trouble paying the mortgage. They never paid until the middle of the month, because they could get away with it.

They sold that house and bought another place in October of this year. They didn't have a mortgage payment in November, and then told their family that they didn't have the money to make the first mortgage payment in December.

We can't figure out how they get a loan in the first place, but somehow, they do.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2016, 01:45:45 PM »

They commute in separate SUVs.  So where are they looking?  In the only HCL area, which is 30 miles south of here.  So they are going to force an extra 60 miles a day for each of their commutes.  I mentioned this, but got blown off because they don't consider it a problem.  I continue to be boggled... 
I live 2 miles from my work, 30 miles would be a big deal to me.
 You might suggest they take 5 business days and drive a 30 mile route to work and home.
If they say, they don't want to waste the gas, you can laugh!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »
  I don't put up lights, I just think it would be funny having the decorators competing every year
and everyone always receiving second place.
  I'll try to get a picture of one house that is decorated to the 9s, it looks nice and would get first place if there was a contest.
Here are the pictures.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »
Please tell me they have them timed to blink and change with music...

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
Please tell me they have them timed to blink and change with music...

Sorry no, but if they did, the wouldn't have has to settle for the second place award!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2016, 03:39:17 PM »

Maybe instead of 'second place' just make it 'silver award'. Then if two people get chatting and both have a silver award it will take longer for them to work out that there is no gold award.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2016, 03:43:31 PM »
OK, so here's my neighbor contribution.  My old neighborhood, our lovely next door neighbors.  Hubby has some medical issues, so I can tell he can see the value in being frugal.  He was always interested in our side hustles and our aggressive FIRE plan.  Wife would seem bored.  One time, he looked hopefully at his wife and asked her "Honey, when will we be starting our early retirement savings plan?"  Her response was quick and cool.  "But we like to buy things, dear!"  Ouch.

Wow, I particularly like that there is no grey in this: buying things or savings plan. Pick one and only one.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2016, 07:16:25 PM »

They commute in separate SUVs.  So where are they looking?  In the only HCL area, which is 30 miles south of here.  So they are going to force an extra 60 miles a day for each of their commutes.  I mentioned this, but got blown off because they don't consider it a problem.  I continue to be boggled... 
 You might suggest they take 5 business days and drive a 30 mile route to work and home.

I'm thinking along the same lines.   Maybe because they are young they just don't realize what a drag it is to make that drive every single day - twice.  They probably only drive that far when they're going on a road trip somewhere fun. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2016, 07:19:34 AM »

I'm thinking along the same lines.   Maybe because they are young they just don't realize what a drag it is to make that drive every single day - twice.  They probably only drive that far when they're going on a road trip somewhere fun.

60 miles a day EACH??? Like, not even intending to carpool?

Ok... look. I live 30 miles from work. Husband works less than a mile from where I do. So we both have partial work-from-home arrangements and we carpool in together 2-3 days per week (which, really, is a nice opportuity to spend an hour and a half that day chatting and planning stuff, so it's cool).

Commuting that 5 days/week in SEPARATE cars?? Gotta be nuts.

And frankly: we considered moving closer to the city... but country living has HUGE advantages for us (multiple acres of land, big house for the cost of a tiny city house, I look out my window and there are 2 houses between us and the horizon, we're next to a lake and can have chickens and rabbits and sheep and (eventually!) goats and an aquaponics set-up, large gardens and peace and quiet and we live super near family and everyone important to us, and, frankly, we leave here to go to work and do groceries on the way home and that's IT, it's where we actually want to be, we don't leave), which are worth the 120 miles/week. I can't imagine signing up for 2-3x that commute in order to leave near neighbors and need to go out to do anything anyway, wtf. If you're gonna sign up for living near people and not needing space to do everything you wanna do, at least do that near work!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »

60 miles a day EACH??? Like, not even intending to carpool?

Ok... look. I live 30 miles from work. Husband works less than a mile from where I do. So we both have partial work-from-home arrangements and we carpool in together 2-3 days per week (which, really, is a nice opportuity to spend an hour and a half that day chatting and planning stuff, so it's cool).

Commuting that 5 days/week in SEPARATE cars?? Gotta be nuts.

And frankly: we considered moving closer to the city... but country living has HUGE advantages for us (multiple acres of land, big house for the cost of a tiny city house, I look out my window and there are 2 houses between us and the horizon, we're next to a lake and can have chickens and rabbits and sheep and (eventually!) goats and an aquaponics set-up, large gardens and peace and quiet and we live super near family and everyone important to us, and, frankly, we leave here to go to work and do groceries on the way home and that's IT, it's where we actually want to be, we don't leave), which are worth the 120 miles/week. I can't imagine signing up for 2-3x that commute in order to leave near neighbors and need to go out to do anything anyway, wtf. If you're gonna sign up for living near people and not needing space to do everything you wanna do, at least do that near work!
Ya gotta quote the whole thing.  Here's the whole quote.
Note that one works north of here and one works here.  Her current commute is ~15 minutes and will go to ~50 minutes.  His goes from ~50 minutes to ~80 minutes.  They can't carpool because they work different times and in different towns.  They aren't moving to the country, but are moving to our HCL area, so no country benefits, just more houses, and maybe some shopping.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!