Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508049 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2016, 01:33:01 AM »

I'd love to know what made it a bad day.

Did he forget where he buried a bone? Tip over his water bowl? Dream about bunnies but wake up before he caught them?
HAHAHA best bit of the thread

My cousins have a doggie, when he was a puppy he used to wake up randomly at various times and frantically look left and right searching for...whatever he was dreaming about. He would then bark, and then carry on with doggie life.

It was quite funny to watch when I caught him, but the poor thing is so old now if he wakes up it takes him another 10 minutes to lift his head and then get out of his blanket covered nest.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2016, 01:49:25 AM »
My cousins have a doggie, when he was a puppy he used to wake up randomly at various times and frantically look left and right searching for...whatever he was dreaming about. He would then bark, and then carry on with doggie life...

:)

... It was quite funny to watch when I caught him, but the poor thing is so old now if he wakes up it takes him another 10 minutes to lift his head and then get out of his blanket covered nest.

:(

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2016, 03:35:46 AM »

I had a nice cactus in a nice pot at a time when they were trendy. I'd had the cactus since I was a teenager, and the pot was from my mum. It mysteriously disappeared from my front verandah. Weeks later I spotted it on their's.  Go figure.

Did you steal it back? I'd have taken that sucker back and maybe talked to the parents implying it was their kids, though really thinking it was the parents. I'd just want them to know I noticed they stole my plant.

Yes I did! I waited til they were all out and crept up on to the verandah and reclaimed it. I decided not to confront them ( although I seriously thought about it) and found a nice spot on the back deck for it.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »
Cross the street neighbor chatted with me a bit today.  He was retired by Intel recently at age 58 with a year severance.  While he is not over the top in his spending, but he does have a boat, camper, 3 cars, and a motorcycle.  He has to go back to work soon as he really has no savings, and "the money goes fast."

Really my nightmare scenario to be a grandpa and have to go interviewing at 58 with no savings to speak of.

If that isn't "over the top" then what is? 58, no savings, but a boat, a camper, 3 cars and a motorcycle - sounds like financial hell.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2016, 11:26:25 PM »
Cross the street neighbor chatted with me a bit today.  He was retired by Intel recently at age 58 with a year severance.  While he is not over the top in his spending, but he does have a boat, camper, 3 cars, and a motorcycle.  He has to go back to work soon as he really has no savings, and "the money goes fast."

Really my nightmare scenario to be a grandpa and have to go interviewing at 58 with no savings to speak of.
If that isn't "over the top" then what is? 58, no savings, but a boat, a camper, 3 cars and a motorcycle - sounds like financial hell.
Fair enough.  I'm pretty sure he is debt free, but just spends it as it comes in, which is still better than the sad average.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:38:17 PM by moof »

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2016, 10:46:57 PM »
One had her car down the road for repairs and couldn't figure out how she was going to retrieve it.  She was going around asking people to drive her several blocks down the road so she could pick her car up.   She should have asked me...I could have given her a bus schedule since the bus goes down the street every 15 minutes.

WOW. I must be insane to that person for being happy that there's a very good, trustworthy mechanic whose shop is a 45 minute one way walk from my house.

Your story reminds me of my husband's stories of his co-workers (he's back to work temporarily). They go out to eat every single day for lunch, almost always to one of the restaurants/fast food places that are a 5 minute or less walk from the office . They will always drive there, even if the weather is nice. I imagine they would also do the same as your neighbor if in that same situation.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 02:14:50 AM »
Sometimes it feels like the Overheard threads are my main reason for coming to this forum.

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2016, 02:35:31 AM »
Sometimes it feels like the Overheard threads are my main reason for coming to this forum.

+1

I don't post often but I keep coming back for the overheard threads, there's a slightly addictive thrill when a thread has lots of new posts, even when it gets a bit foamy.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
Replying to follow. It probably says a lot about a person who enjoys reading these kinds of stories.

While these stories might represent a statistical outlier it also offers perspective for some of us who are interested. The holidays with extended family (if they live in a different city) can offer something similar.

Yes, it is an opportunity to air grievances and point fingers but damn these stories can be cathartic as in "YEAH - that WAS dumb! Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that!"

Hard to do that politely in real life.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2016, 04:37:29 PM »
I love my neighbors. They're wonderful people, but I think we're mutually horrified at the way each pair lives.

Their house is 3300 square feet for four people. They have two financed $40k cars that they bought within a year of each other. When we came home with a new couch that we paid for with cash from Costco, they said that we "inspired" them to spend $4k on a couch from a local furniture store to take advantage of their 0% interest financing. They each have 10-year old student loans that they've been paying interest only on and haven't touched the principal. Just a few days after we had a long discussion about retirement savings while our dogs played in my backyard, they came home with a new boat.

We used to both try to sway the other to our view of things, her that I should "live more" and me that it's "better to pay cash." Now we've largely given up and just enjoy each other's friendship.

You're supposed to be the enabling audience that admires every purchase they bring home. ;)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2016, 05:03:21 PM »
I can't say I see any neighbors spending poorly -- most of my neighbors are pretty moderate in their spending, or -- if they're not -- I haven't noticed.

I do see this behavior in some family and co-workers.  People who are broke, can't buy groceries the week before payday -- yet lease a new car because it means they can "skip a payment".  People who can't pay their rent, yet bring a fast food breakfast into work every morning.  People one year out of college who pay professionals to move them out of their parents' house /buy all new furniture for an apartment.  I think these people just don't bother to consider the big picture.

A REAL Mustachian wouldn't have any frequently unused rooms ;)
Um, I have two rooms that are completely unused, and it's the right choice for us at this point in our lives:   

- I've been in this house for 16 years, and when we moved in we needed the space -- paid cash for it, never paid any interest.  Living here costs us about 2K/year in taxes plus upkeep.  The house represents less than 4% of our total net worth. 
- It's perfectly located for our jobs and our youngest child's college commute.  We want to stay in this area another couple years 'til we retire; then we intend to go back to the country. 
- Housing prices have skyrocketed, and we could not buy another house in this area for what this would would bring in a sale.  Likewise, if we were to rent, it would cost much more than living in our current house. 

I consider myself frugal, and I'm happily staying right here in this house another couple years!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:07:08 PM by MrsPete »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2016, 10:37:53 AM »
One had her car down the road for repairs and couldn't figure out how she was going to retrieve it.  She was going around asking people to drive her several blocks down the road so she could pick her car up.   She should have asked me...I could have given her a bus schedule since the bus goes down the street every 15 minutes.

WOW. I must be insane to that person for being happy that there's a very good, trustworthy mechanic whose shop is a 45 minute one way walk from my house.

Your story reminds me of my husband's stories of his co-workers (he's back to work temporarily). They go out to eat every single day for lunch, almost always to one of the restaurants/fast food places that are a 5 minute or less walk from the office . They will always drive there, even if the weather is nice. I imagine they would also do the same as your neighbor if in that same situation.

The mechanic shop about three miles from my house has won every major award in the city. Price-wise they're a bit higher than average but the quality is good, they're honest, and the turnaround time is fantastic. I took the family car there for some work over the summer, and walking back and forth was no problem at all.

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
Ok ok...I have one :)

Neighbour's elderly mother passes away, elderly father goes into a nursing/old age home. Important point, I feel, as one of them is still alive.

Before mom is even buried, they empty out the parent's house, grab a realtor, and put it on the market. Sells for 1.2 million, minus closing costs, etc. Neighbour and sibling split the proceeds equally, so neighbour gets around $500,000. They DO NOT tell the elderly father that they sold the house (they have power of attorney, etc so it is legal...but moral is a different story).

Neighbour is now coming around every day dancing for joy that his debt will finally be paid off...he is mid-50's, married, with 2 teenagers. He tells us "Man, it'll be great to have my debt and mortgage paid off now. I might actually be able to retire!! So excited!! The first $300,000 will wipe out all my debt!!!"

So, we estimate he has $200,000 left...then finances a new vehicle for $45,000 and sells the old one for $500, and has contractors in and out of his house non-stop over a few weeks...re-does landscaping, concrete driveway for $18,000, currently ripping out kitchen and renovating for $30,000, sends the kids and wife on a trip for $10,000, plus several other items that I know I'm forgetting. And every day now, he comes over complaining that "my wife wants a new XYZ...guess there goes more money..."

A fellow mustachian neighbour and us have a running bet on when the above neighbour will be broke again, because really...it's just a matter of time!!!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2016, 11:57:48 AM »

Neighbour's elderly mother passes away, elderly father goes into a nursing/old age home. Important point, I feel, as one of them is still alive.

Before mom is even buried, they empty out the parent's house, grab a realtor, and put it on the market. Sells for 1.2 million, minus closing costs, etc. Neighbour and sibling split the proceeds equally, so neighbour gets around $500,000. They DO NOT tell the elderly father that they sold the house (they have power of attorney, etc so it is legal...but moral is a different story).

Neighbour is now coming around every day dancing for joy that his debt will finally be paid off...he is mid-50's, married, with 2 teenagers. He tells us "Man, it'll be great to have my debt and mortgage paid off now. I might actually be able to retire!! So excited!! The first $300,000 will wipe out all my debt!!!"

So, we estimate he has $200,000 left...then finances a new vehicle for $45,000 and sells the old one for $500, and has contractors in and out of his house non-stop over a few weeks...re-does landscaping, concrete driveway for $18,000, currently ripping out kitchen and renovating for $30,000, sends the kids and wife on a trip for $10,000, plus several other items that I know I'm forgetting. And every day now, he comes over complaining that "my wife wants a new XYZ...guess there goes more money..."

A fellow mustachian neighbour and us have a running bet on when the above neighbour will be broke again, because really...it's just a matter of time!!!

If there is any sort of authority in your country that investigates cases of elder abuse, please contact them.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »

Wait!  who is paying for the old man's nursing home?  Doesn't he need that money?  Oh, this story made me so upset. 

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
I heard a noise from next door and when I looked out the window, I saw a man vacuuming the neighbor's lawn with a lawn vacuum.

I have twice as many leaves as them (which isn't a ton) and I just mulch-mow mine.

I can't wrap my head around the idea of paying someone to vacuum your lawn, which appeared to take three times as long as raking it and infinity times as long as simply mowing over the leaves.

Then I noticed that this lawn vacuum is becoming increasingly popular in my neighborhood. I can't believe that someone actually invented a vacuum for your lawn and that my ridiculous neighbors thought that vacuuming their lawns was a good idea.

exterous

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2016, 12:12:31 PM »
I have two but the first one is about us because its only fair and I can only imagine what our neighbors think about us.

Story #1:
There are few things in life that will cause my wife and I to fight more than moving ourselves. We've been together a long time and have done many moves but have yet to figure out how to not fight during a move other than perhaps the 'Pay someone else to do it all' model. Well we looked at doing that this last time, saw the price and both agreed that we would do it ourselves and just fight on the day we were moving.

So the day of the move the usual rumblings and snippy comments from both sides starts. We get to the new house and my wife has to move her car out of the driveway. I am sitting in the Uhaul blocking our (not very busy) street. She has no sense of urgency as she gets into her car and does...well I still don't know what but it didn't involve moving the car. I honk. She starts backing up and then stops. She's close enough I can see her texting. I honk again - longer. I see her arms start waving about and some unseemly gestures appear but she finally gets out of my way. (Supposedly it was to let someone know we were at the house to come by and help. Which could have waited 30 seconds IMO)

So I back the Uhaul into the drive way and hop out. I see an older gentleman from the neighborhood walking down the sidewalk towards our house. He starts to wave.

It was at this moment that my wife, oblivious to the man, comes over and starts yelling at me and dropping F-bombs. The man puts his hand down, turns around and walks quickly away. He probably wonders how we are still married.

Story #2:
We moved into an area that I suspect has many people who wish to appear wealthier than they actually are. The sub recently took over HOA administration from the developer and the first meeting was an eye opener. They wanted to raise HOA fees because there wasn't enough coming in to support the budget. I asked how they knew this since the budget had a list of unknowns like the water bill or electricity for the subdivision lights. I also pointed out that perhaps the expenditures of $2,000 for holiday decorations and $1,500 for community events were areas that could be reduced to lessen the need for an increase.

The answers were vague and basically relied on the fact that other HOA's pay more like the one across the street. People in the audience chimed in that they appreciated how cheap the HOA was. I wanted to point out that our old HOA one town over did more with 1/3 the assessment and that paying more just because someone else does is a poor excuse. I also wanted to point out that the houses in the HOA across the street also cost more. But we were new, the increase wasn't that substantial and it was clear I would be outvoted so I let it drop.

On the community facebook page is filled with people asking for recommendations on what company to hire to put up christmas lights or asking recommendations on what expensive designer dog to get.

Fast forward to the recent HOA meeting and the same person who was asking about companies to hang up christmas lights was complaining they might not have enough money to pay the HOA increase. Their Christmas light look quite nice though.

During this same meeting the topic of landscaping was brought up. The HOA rules require that 1 new tree of at least 5' in height or some specified inches in trunk size be planted within 1 year after the house is first occupied. One of the owners of the last completed houses (Sub was started in 2012) stood up and complained that since her husband was out of work she needed an extension because there was no way they could afford to hire landscapers to do that because they want over $500 to do the work.

I thought I was being helpful when I replied that "The fall tree sales have started so he could take his truck to Nursery X and get a tree that fulfilled the requirements for $75-100." She looked at me like I had tentacles growing out of my face.

So sure he could have some other reason not to do that but I see him washing his truck every other day and carrying large bags of charcoal to his large new 4 burner stove and smoker set he got this summer. (while he was supposedly out of work)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
I heard a noise from next door and when I looked out the window, I saw a man vacuuming the neighbor's lawn with a lawn vacuum.

I have twice as many leaves as them (which isn't a ton) and I just mulch-mow mine.

I can't wrap my head around the idea of paying someone to vacuum your lawn, which appeared to take three times as long as raking it and infinity times as long as simply mowing over the leaves.

Then I noticed that this lawn vacuum is becoming increasingly popular in my neighborhood. I can't believe that someone actually invented a vacuum for your lawn and that my ridiculous neighbors thought that vacuuming their lawns was a good idea.

I have vacuumed my neighbors lawn... but it was because non-degrading construction supplies from my remodel blew all over their nicely manicured lawn. And I did feel at least as stupid as I looked - I'd love to see what a lawn vacuum looks like though. Probably would have been faster than crawling around with my shop vac.

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2016, 12:20:36 PM »

Wait!  who is paying for the old man's nursing home?  Doesn't he need that money?  Oh, this story made me so upset.

Elderly father has one of the best pension plans in the country, all his needs and costs are taken care of through that....this is also bragged about quite often... Apparently the house was just 'extra'.

gardeningandgreen

• Bristles
    • Gardening and Green
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
None of my neighbors are quite as bad as many on here. Or at least I don't know about it. We do have a neighbor across the street who was mad when a new person moved in next to him and he could no longer park his very large camper in their drive way. He even went as far as parking his camper in the driveway of the new neighbors when they weren't there yet and played dumb when they got there and were like WTF theres a large camper where we are supposed to unload our stuff. Im sure they are getting along wonderfully...

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
I have vacuumed my neighbors lawn... but it was because non-degrading construction supplies from my remodel blew all over their nicely manicured lawn. And I did feel at least as stupid as I looked - I'd love to see what a lawn vacuum looks like though. Probably would have been faster than crawling around with my shop vac.

It basically looks like a mower bag backpack with a motor attached and a big hose about the size of a dryer hose.

It would be faster only if you had dropped shredded paper and lawn clippings on your neighbor's lawn. And even then... dubiously.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »

Elderly father has one of the best pension plans in the country, all his needs and costs are taken care of through that....this is also bragged about quite often... Apparently the house was just 'extra'.

Very sad story of how to blow through half a million. Well, I guess the saving grace is that $300k went to debt reduction.

I too would consider reporting it for elder abuse, pension plan or not, care can get very expensive. The more cash the old man has the better it will be for him.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2016, 01:38:29 PM »
I have two but the first one is about us because its only fair and I can only imagine what our neighbors think about us.

Story #1:
There are few things in life that will cause my wife and I to fight more than moving ourselves. We've been together a long time and have done many moves but have yet to figure out how to not fight during a move other than perhaps the 'Pay someone else to do it all' model. Well we looked at doing that this last time, saw the price and both agreed that we would do it ourselves and just fight on the day we were moving.
*snip*

That is the most literal "agree to disagree" I have ever seen.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »

Story #1:
*snip*

Ha. Right? Is that mustachian, or cheap? Either way I like the 'Let's compromise and just fight all the time".

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »

If there is any sort of authority in your country that investigates cases of elder abuse, please contact them.

Seconded.

This is appalling, and it's definitely on the rise here in Australia.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »
It was at this moment that my wife, oblivious to the man, comes over and starts yelling at me and dropping F-bombs. The man puts his hand down, turns around and walks quickly away. He probably wonders how we are still married.
Maybe it's the reason you're still married. You gotta let out some steam every once in a while :D

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
Wow, I doubt that my neighbors will outplay the above horror stories, but let me try ))

Our recent neighbor in the apartment across the hall is a young woman sales manager. Later turned out that her boy-friend lives in another city where he "goes to university" but regularly he spends weeks living with her.

I am wondering if he compensates her for the cost of the apartment though. Obviously he does not work.

Every week multiple times either her or him receives a package from amazon prime and women's online retailer.

On a regular basis a big package is awaiting for them with the note "open quickly - perishable". Turned out this was some kind of seafood restaurant!!

Recently we put on our coats to go for a walk to Trader Joe's for grocery shopping and this boy-friend appeared barefooted at the same time saying "excuse me, I just want to go and get some food..." and run downstairs in front of us. I was puzzled for a second because was wondering how he planned to go grocery shopping wearing pijamas pants  but figured quickly at the entrance when he was receiving restaurant take out from a delivery man!

Every time this guy returns back from the place of his study he puts out endless boxes of stuff and covers the whole backyard like this is his personal backyard though we live in apartment building.

What he is doing with that stuff - hard to imagine. But this happens on a regular basis. I saw their apartment when the door was opened - tons of stuff on the floor.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:03:52 PM by bebegirl »

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »

Please report this elder abuse!  This is not legal!  An agent under a power of attorney is a fiduciary and are not allowed to do what they want with the money.  This could cause serious harm to this elderly man and his future care!  People like this are the reason I have a job.  The quicker this is reported, the quicker something can be done to preserve some assets for this poor elderly man.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2016, 04:01:07 PM »
Our soon to be neighbour bought the house nextdoor for $500k more than market price, or more than 25%. It wasn't on the market at the time. I still have no idea why they paid so much when they could have got one nearby for HALF A MILLION less. Baffled.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »
I don't know much about my neighbors (pretty quiet condo complex, nodding and smiling is about as far as we go...) but I enjoy speculating. My complex is pretty modestly priced for the area--especially before the local market went crazy about 4 years ago, it would have been very affordable on a not-fancy salary. However, the cars in the garage are evenly divided between modest sedans, very expensive cars, and enormous trucks/SUVs. I can't decide if my neighbors are crazy, because they are buying expensive cars on modest salaries, or extremely sensible, because they choose to balance out their expensive vehicles with cheaper housing. And I have no explanation for the giganto-mobiles, which barely fit in our parking spots (and are a nuisance to have to back out next to.) If you live in a tiny condo, you are unlikely to be hauling your horse trailer or moving gigantic loads of potting soil. Of course, some may be renters (the rents here are on the higher end) and others may have cars they bought during a previous phase of life. But it's fun to speculate.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »
A neighbour in our condo complex: she used to have a financed SUV Tiguan (single woman, no children). She also used to be an insurance broker. Then she decided that it wasn't what she wanted to do, she wants to "make a difference" (which is perfectly acceptable), so she's started all sorts of esoteric projects, becoming a sort of "life-coach", I don't know. Anywhoo, doesn't make much money off it all.

She doesn't cook, and her "client meetings" are always in little cafés, so she's in restaurants pretty much every day. My BF convinced her to sell her truck when she started having money issues, so she did, and "borrowed" her parents' car... indefinitely (it's been about 6 months now).
She went to my BF to ask him for a 2k loan to pay her mortgage because her cards and lines of credits are maxed out. He said "sure", and offered a 4% loan, payable monthly. She said, "oh, I thought you were just loaning me the money, not like a bank... nevermind, I'll ask my parents".

Now she's taking a class on naturopathic whatnot, and wants to join an essential oil MLM, and is trying to sell her condo because she can't make payments (although according to her, it's because her condo "isn't what she's looking for anymore").
She's 32 and has an MBA in finance... which obviously, doesn't mean anything in terms of understanding consequences when it comes to spending and income.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »
If only all degree courses required an introductory course in Basic Causality and a final year module in the Bleeding Obvious.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
If only all degree courses required an introductory course in Basic Causality and a final year module in the Bleeding Obvious.

With remedial facepunching available free of charge.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »
where's a 'like' button when you need one? :)

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2016, 08:22:14 PM »

Story #2:
We moved into an area that I suspect has many people who wish to appear wealthier than they actually are. The sub recently took over HOA administration from the developer and the first meeting was an eye opener. They wanted to raise HOA fees because there wasn't enough coming in to support the budget. I asked how they knew this since the budget had a list of unknowns like the water bill or electricity for the subdivision lights. I also pointed out that perhaps the expenditures of $2,000 for holiday decorations and $1,500 for community events were areas that could be reduced to lessen the need for an increase.

The answers were vague and basically relied on the fact that other HOA's pay more like the one across the street. People in the audience chimed in that they appreciated how cheap the HOA was. I wanted to point out that our old HOA one town over did more with 1/3 the assessment and that paying more just because someone else does is a poor excuse. I also wanted to point out that the houses in the HOA across the street also cost more. But we were new, the increase wasn't that substantial and it was clear I would be outvoted so I let it drop.

On the community facebook page is filled with people asking for recommendations on what company to hire to put up christmas lights or asking recommendations on what expensive designer dog to get.

Fast forward to the recent HOA meeting and the same person who was asking about companies to hang up christmas lights was complaining they might not have enough money to pay the HOA increase. Their Christmas light look quite nice though.

During this same meeting the topic of landscaping was brought up. The HOA rules require that 1 new tree of at least 5' in height or some specified inches in trunk size be planted within 1 year after the house is first occupied. One of the owners of the last completed houses (Sub was started in 2012) stood up and complained that since her husband was out of work she needed an extension because there was no way they could afford to hire landscapers to do that because they want over $500 to do the work.

I thought I was being helpful when I replied that "The fall tree sales have started so he could take his truck to Nursery X and get a tree that fulfilled the requirements for $75-100." She looked at me like I had tentacles growing out of my face.

So sure he could have some other reason not to do that but I see him washing his truck every other day and carrying large bags of charcoal to his large new 4 burner stove and smoker set he got this summer. (while he was supposedly out of work)

So what are you writing in your bio when you run for the HOA board?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2016, 07:29:46 AM »

I have a "lawn vacuum". Looks like a 4x4 pushmower (no blade underneath so you see empty space). It bags leaves. Or I can put the chute on the back and it honestly is the best leaf blower I've ever used. I don't bag b/c with the number of leaves we have - the bag fills up in two passes of my small yard. Make sure the leaves are dry-ish or they will clog. I think mowing/mulching before vacuuming is worthwhile. It was a $350 machine that I got for about $150 on sale.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2016, 07:37:18 AM »

I have a "lawn vacuum". Looks like a 4x4 pushmower (no blade underneath so you see empty space). It bags leaves. Or I can put the chute on the back and it honestly is the best leaf blower I've ever used. I don't bag b/c with the number of leaves we have - the bag fills up in two passes of my small yard. Make sure the leaves are dry-ish or they will clog. I think mowing/mulching before vacuuming is worthwhile. It was a $350 machine that I got for about $150 on sale.

My grandpa had one when I was a kid, he bought it when he got too old to use a rake, bend over to pick leaves up, etc, but still wanted to work in his own yard and not pay a service. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2016, 08:03:10 AM »
Rather than making fun of a $200 leaf machine, let's make fun of the guys mowing suburban yards with $10K+ ZTR mowers. ;)

Great machines for a business. Pointless for a single neighborhood yard. Where I live these can be as brag worthy for some guys as the big 4x4 diesel pickups they drive back and forth to work.

I don't care how they want to spend their money. I'll always be here if they want to complain how they are broke and the price of fuel for something thirsty. I'm a great audience and manage a pretty good poker face - most of the time... ;)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
Ha-ha... my leaf blower (which has a suction system and bag attachment) also mulches and sucks up leaves. And it was free: my company gives gifts on significant service anniversaries and this was what I picked out for mine. Every time I vacuum up the leaves I get off on the fact that this wonderful labor-saving device cost me nothing. I was putting in the hours anyway.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
Ha-ha... my leaf blower (which has a suction system and bag attachment) also mulches and sucks up leaves. And it was free: my company gives gifts on significant service anniversaries and this was what I picked out for mine. Every time I vacuum up the leaves I get off on the fact that this wonderful labor-saving device cost me nothing. I was putting in the hours anyway.

well what were the other options and could it have just been flipped for cash?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2016, 09:54:59 AM »

well what were the other options and could it have just been flipped for cash?

The other options included various camping toys, jewelry, and other stuff that didn't interest me. In theory I could have sold the leaf blower for cash, but in practice the $40 or so it was worth retail would have taken me two to three hours to get. Instead, I turn what used to be a 4-hour job into a 1-hour job three or four times a year. (I live on the corner of the street, and all my neighbors' leaves end up in my front yard because of how the wind blows.)

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2016, 10:19:36 AM »
Rather than making fun of a $200 leaf machine, let's make fun of the guys mowing suburban yards with $10K+ ZTR mowers. ;)

Great machines for a business. Pointless for a single neighborhood yard. Where I live these can be as brag worthy for some guys as the big 4x4 diesel pickups they drive back and forth to work.

I don't care how they want to spend their money. I'll always be here if they want to complain how they are broke and the price of fuel for something thirsty. I'm a great audience and manage a pretty good poker face - most of the time... ;)

This is half my neighborhood. It's one of those fancy pants neighborhoods where most people have nice lawns.

It's broken down like this:
10% mow and make a rudimentary effort to care for their lawn, but clearly don't care.
40% hire someone to mow/vacuum their leaves
30% clearly enjoy buying lawn tools and using them, including giant riding mowers that they ride around seemingly for fun.
20% are obsessed with their lawns like it's the third person in their polygamous marriages. These people (all men) are like Hank Hill from King of the Hill. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to look over at them and see them on their knees, kissing their precious grass. Their lawns deserve only the best! They have the best lawn tractors, the best weed whackers, leaf blowers, and out of jealousy, the leaf vacuum is making more frequent appearances. Where do they even keep these tools? There are already three giant vehicles in their garages!

There's one guy who first mows his lawn with a push mower - bagging his lawn clippings as he goes, stopping every ten minutes to dump them. Then he mows with his lawn tractor - sometimes twice. Then he weed whacks. Then he blows the lawn area with his leaf blower (WHY? YOU ALREADY BAGGED YOUR LAWN CLIPPINGS! WHAT ARE YOU BLOWING?!?!). The best part is that he does like multiple times a week. The grass doesn't grow that fast!! Sometimes I just want to yell at him: "You missed a spot!" just to F--- with his head.

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2016, 01:24:06 PM »
The best part is that he does like multiple times a week. The grass doesn't grow that fast!! Sometimes I just want to yell at him: "You missed a spot!" just to F--- with his head.

He probably has obsessive compulsive disorder.. ))

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »
I live in a condo community and a group of us is pretty friendly.  I go to the board meetings.  One of the frequent topics of conversation is that no trucks are allowed to be parked in driveways.  So people buy a condo and then find out they can't park their giant truck in their driveway and it won't fit in their garage.  Nevermind it was in the paperwork before they actually bought the place.  During one of these discussions one of the ladies on the board said, "ugh, people should be ashamed of some of the cars they have around here."  I haven't seen a single car that I would consider embarrassing.  I kind of wish I had kept my rusty, multicolored 1990 Honda Accord so I could park it in the driveway.

I moved into my unit in November and the next June or July one of the people in the friendly group told me I needed to buy some furniture for my deck so it looked like someone lives there.  I told her I was waiting until there was something on sale after the summer (I had a chair that wasn't suitable to all weather, but I would take it out on my deck when I needed it and then bring it back in.)  She told me I was a money bags.  Lol, guess I'm not good at hiding my mustache?  I'm also not sure that the hammock stand I ended up with was what she had in mind, but I love it!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »

It's ironic, but unsurprising if you think about it, that those most in need of this kind of potentially life-changing cash infusion are the least likely to benefit from it in the long run. They got themselves where they were through a series of choices. The windfall relieved them of the consequences of said choices. Not only does this eliminate the immediate need for any kind of habit change, it actually reduces their incentive to be responsible. Why would they do anything but start spending even more?

exterous

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »

Story #1:
*snip*

Ha. Right? Is that mustachian, or cheap? Either way I like the 'Let's compromise and just fight all the time".

I vote mustachian but I'm biased. There's usually at least one situation like the old man waving that we laugh about later.

Maybe it's the reason you're still married. You gotta let out some steam every once in a while :D

And its pretty easy to figure out how we feel about something :)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2016, 01:02:59 PM »
The best part is that he does like multiple times a week. The grass doesn't grow that fast!! Sometimes I just want to yell at him: "You missed a spot!" just to F--- with his head.

or hates being inside with his family so its an escape

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2016, 06:44:53 AM »

or hates being inside with his family so its an escape

Or it is a hobby he enjoys, people do weird things.  Would it be better if he went to a pub and stood 7' 9.25" from a wall and flicked metal tipped plastic things at a circle? 

Renegade23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »

[/quote]

I for one shut all of the doors upstairs and have the vents in the rooms that are frequently unused shut to be more efficient.
[/quote]

That is really bad for the A/C unit. They are designed for a certain level of pressure and closing vents increases that pressure in the ducts and causes the unit to work harder and burn out faster.

I used to do it and researched it, I immediately opened my vents up. The electrical savings are not worth my unit lasting 1/2 as long.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »

I for one shut all of the doors upstairs and have the vents in the rooms that are frequently unused shut to be more efficient.
[/quote]

That is really bad for the A/C unit. They are designed for a certain level of pressure and closing vents increases that pressure in the ducts and causes the unit to work harder and burn out faster.

I used to do it and researched it, I immediately opened my vents up. The electrical savings are not worth my unit lasting 1/2 as long.
[/quote]

Depends on the space, no?

Say you've got a 3k sq ft house, and you close off one room that's... 140sq ft. The pressure difference isn't large enough to make a difference, I wouldn't think. Whereas cutting off a whole floor (or say 1000sq ft) would totally have an impact.

(In our case, it's a moot point - the rooms we don't want to heat are in the basement, and the wood stove is on the main floor, so heat distribution going up means that happens naturally. The electric furnace is a back-up for when we leave the house, and is rarely used.)