Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508070 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« on: November 20, 2016, 05:08:57 AM »
Right folks. There's a thread for work, and one for Facebook too.

I'd like to start one for neighbours.

While taking out the garbage bags at my parents place, I was stopped out the front by Ms T, daughter of Mrs B.

Ms T is married and has brood of 4(?) children. I forget how many, but there's a few. Little T is the oldest. The 6 of them used to rent a house for a few years for about $750 a week. More than enough to afford a place, even in Sydney, however they could never get a deposit big enough together, so they have to pay comparatively top dollar rent for a "nice" place. They've bought land out in the far away sticks, and their new house is currently being built. I don't know what sort of work the 2 of them do, but there isn't many jobs where they are going.

To save money in the meantime they've decided to move back in with Mrs B, who is a widow, and was enjoying the relative peace and quiet of not having her children around anymore.

I remember when I was growing up, the 3 girls were between 5-10 years older than me... they would raise hell. The screaming and fighting and...oh my god the nastiness.

Ms T starts recounting the story of the fancy restaurant she and Mr D went to for their anniversary.. they paid $191 for dinner for 2. They were actually prepared to spend up to $600(!) but because they didn't like the prawn entree or the mash potato and side dishes they cut their losses early. Actually she complained about the whole experience and said pub food was better.

Little T has a basic starter manual labor type job. He bought an iPhone7 (how much do they retail for...$1300?), and it caught fire and exploded last week. Ok that part is not really his fault, but despite having Apple Care and warranties etc, they still paid another $150 for a replacement, after arguing with the store. I do not really understand why people NEED an iPhone 7, especially an 18 year old kid who earns $10 an hour. I am aware from previous encounters that Little T has an Xbox + every game under the sun. He did not live a deprived childhood.

Little T also just got his licence, and bought a car for $800 from a mate of a mate(?) I forget this too, wasn't paying too much attention! The engine blew up 100kms later, and they have a $2,000+ repair bill. Little T is also a smoker, which is a pretty ordinary financial choice of habit these days.

The 6 of them went on a tropical destination holiday last year, and are probably going away again this year.

I nodded politely throughout...didn't have much to say beyond "yeah that's tough". Fortunately I started getting bitten by mosquitoes. It gave me a chance to run away from the whole mess.

Talking to her was enlightening in someways. You begin to understand exactly why some people are in the financial situation they are in. They know exactly what they are spending their money on, but they truly believe at the time of purchase of many of these items that they are making optimum decisions.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:58:34 AM »
Replying to follow. It probably says a lot about a person who enjoys reading these kinds of stories.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 06:03:53 AM »
Not overheard but observed. Some neighbours have two parking spots (they sell for 30k each), they park one luxury vehicle convertible in the middle of the two spots.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 02:10:25 PM »
What a trainwreck.

My neighbours bought a new car a few weeks ago. They kept their original vehicle, so now have two.

Husband and wife work for the same business, which is, no exaggeration, across the street. I walk past their work on my way to the train station to start the commute to my work.

Occasionally, when they can't nab visitor parks*, they park the new car on the street because their garage is full of crap.

I don't know what's in the garage but I would wager that as with most people, it's worth less than the $45,000 car.

*My building has four visitor parks and this couple regularly occupies two of them, screwing over the rest of the building because they don't want to part with Stuff.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
What a trainwreck.

My neighbours bought a new car a few weeks ago. They kept their original vehicle, so now have two.

Husband and wife work for the same business, which is, no exaggeration, across the street. I walk past their work on my way to the train station to start the commute to my work.

Occasionally, when they can't nab visitor parks*, they park the new car on the street because their garage is full of crap.

I don't know what's in the garage but I would wager that as with most people, it's worth less than the $45,000 car.

*My building has four visitor parks and this couple regularly occupies two of them, screwing over the rest of the building because they don't want to part with Stuff.

Please tell me they don't drive to work!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 03:52:15 PM »
I'll play. Ex neighbours.
Family of 5.
Parked their cars on the street because garage full of stuff. 2x50k cars. After a few years got sick of them and bought 2 new ones.  After a year wifey decided she didn't like the new one, and sold it and bought another one of the kind she sold.  Kids all individually got the latest biggest and best of everything. Giant sized cubby, large trampoline sunk into the ground. Serial top end bikes, then cars. Oh and the boat. No room in front of the house because of the cars, so boat was often parked in front of my house. Actually there were 3 boats. It took 3 models one after the other until they got one that suited.
Decided they wanted a pool, and according to wifey it had to be a good sized pool so it could  fit all of them and their friends and play games. Lots of hard boulders on  a slope, so even though it was an above ground pool, blasting of rock had to be done. It cost 40k and was bog ugly. The folks who bought the house took it out.
Despite a huge house with more bedrooms than people, they then decided they wanted a studio down the back and built an illegal dwelling, coz they "needed" the extra space.
Come time to sell the house - serial skip loads and trailer loads of stuff to the tip - went on for days.
The kids have not grown up well. Entitled, spoilt and ruthlessly exploit others to get what they want.

I had a nice cactus in a nice pot at a time when they were trendy. I'd had the cactus since I was a teenager, and the pot was from my mum. It mysteriously disappeared from my front verandah. Weeks later I spotted it on their's.  Go figure.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 02:49:30 AM »
I'll start with a small disclaimer, I have fantastic neighbours and I think of myself as very fortunate to live surrounded by such nice people. 

However I do question the choices made by a house on our street.  They have probably been in for around 18 months. 
During that time they have had (between a household of 4 adults) 8 brand new cars, there is always 3 cars and every few months the oldest gets replaced.

I wondered at first if maybe one of them works in a car leasing business or something but another neighbour has advised not.
The cars are financed and they trade them in when they want a change.  These aren't cheap cars either, the latest addition is an £80k ($100k) range rover sport.

We live on a street where the houses are worth between £180-250k, so by my estimation they have spent more on cars in the last year and a half than their house is worth. 

I also have a VERY mustachian neighbour.  For context we live in a solidly middle class area.
I was talking to him a while ago and he told me that he owns property in the wealthiest suburbs nearby but he rents it out because he doesn't like how everyone in that area is obsessed with status and 'being flashy'. 

He owns an 8 year old german hatchback which is meticulously clean (it looks brand new and that's no exaggeration) and during the summer he spends a lot of time helping other neighbours do their gardens etc.  He's only about 50, I'm not sure at what age he retired but he's never worked while we've lived here.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
I live full time in my older small motor home.  I am temporarily (well, most places are temporary since I live in an RV) in a rather upscale resort park in Mesa.  As the snowbirds come back I am trying to fit in.  I went to coffee and donuts on Thursday and sat with a couple who were alone at a big table.  I should have realized that it wasn't because they were lonely.  As their friends filled the other seats, I had a hard time staying in the conversation.  At one point one of the women was talking about how difficult it was for her to get rid of stuff but the need to move meant she had to.  The original woman at the table responded that she moved every 4 years and still had a lot of stuff.  I smiled and said 'Military?'  She replied 'No, bankers, I just want a new house every 4 years.'  Sigh.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »
Face punch me! We're about to close on our first house, and we have hardly any furniture to fill it...so we may buy some furniture ***gasp*** brand new!

That being said; I've already observed that we have the cheapest/oldest cars in our cul-de-sac so I imagine that I'll have some stories after a little while.

why not just buy it off craigslist. if you're getting by with the furniture you have now why do you need more to "fill" a new house.  you could slowly acrue the items you want.

jeeebus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 09:09:16 AM »
Not heard anything over the fence as such... yet.

Our neighbours are new and moved in a few weeks ago. They are about the same age as us - late 20s. They paid about 30% more than we did 3 years ago for their almost identical house (due to the rising market), before hiring a team of builders for nearlya month to replace the 4 year old kitchen and re-decorate the rest of the house. They own a sporty Mercedes and a top of the range Lexus, and can frequently be seen at the weekends returning home from the nearby shopping centre with arms full of bags from designer shops.

We have already on two occasions heard them having rather loud arguements (shouting matches) about money. I have no doubt that they will be making frequent appearences in this thread in the future.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
Face punch me! We're about to close on our first house, and we have hardly any furniture to fill it...so we may buy some furniture ***gasp*** brand new!

That being said; I've already observed that we have the cheapest/oldest cars in our cul-de-sac so I imagine that I'll have some stories after a little while.

why not just buy it off craigslist. if you're getting by with the furniture you have now why do you need more to "fill" a new house.  you could slowly acrue the items you want.

I agree, when I bought my house I was fortunate in that my parents had a furnished indoor den that they hardly used. They had no problem gifting me the furniture and it's in my main floor. It's old and doesn't look all that good, but I haven't heard any complaints. I will upgrade eventually as it's leather and I would prefer a different fabric, but I'm not willing to shell out money.

I highly advise against going on a buying binge for your house but rather make a list of things you want. Find out which ones are essential and start shopping around to find good deals on those (Black Friday can sometimes yield bargains, plus post-holidays is when people clean out things...like if you don't need a Christmas tree but want one, wait until Jan/Feb for the following year), and for everything else, just keep looking around for deals.

When buying a house, it's good to have money saved up because there may be expenses that you simply cannot account for until you move in.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 09:34:41 AM »
Posting to follow. I haven't heard anything yet, but my neighborhood appears to be getting gentrified (there aren't even any vacants left!) so I'm sure it's a matter of time.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
thats a pile to furnish a small mcmansion.  we furnished a 3800 mcmansion for around 2k ... keeping most of what we had in our 1800sqft house. but to each their own i guess.  used mattress for us.  neighbor bought it slept on it for a week and hated it ... could not be returned due to not buying the stupid cover from the furniture store - 1800 dollar mattress 400 bucks (thanks to people with an aversion to used mattresses like yourself) dining table with hutch beautiful 400 bucks could resell for 1k or more - coffee table and end tables 40 bucks -  lazyboy couch for nook area 200 bucks - king bedroom set - negative 300 bucks.  had a frame we liked finally found some matching tables and a dresser.  - resold our unmatching stuff and the frame we didnt need for 300 more than we paid for it all. -  the deals are out there if you apply patience. 

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
I love my neighbors. They're wonderful people, but I think we're mutually horrified at the way each pair lives.

Their house is 3300 square feet for four people. They have two financed $40k cars that they bought within a year of each other. When we came home with a new couch that we paid for with cash from Costco, they said that we "inspired" them to spend $4k on a couch from a local furniture store to take advantage of their 0% interest financing. They each have 10-year old student loans that they've been paying interest only on and haven't touched the principal. Just a few days after we had a long discussion about retirement savings while our dogs played in my backyard, they came home with a new boat.

We used to both try to sway the other to our view of things, her that I should "live more" and me that it's "better to pay cash." Now we've largely given up and just enjoy each other's friendship.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »
My neighbors make a habit of leaving there gate open and unlatched.  Who does that? 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »
I love my neighbors. They're wonderful people, but I think we're mutually horrified at the way each pair lives.

I love this.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »
My neighbors make a habit of leaving there gate open and unlatched.  Who does that?

I don't have a gate, or front fences.  I don't have any animals or kids that I am trying to keep in. 

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
I don't know if my neighbor is mustachian or not.  In the past year, he has purchased an Alfa 4C, Tesla Model D, and probably $50k in landscaping.  New patio, stone retainer wall, pergola, and built in grill.  So I was thinking that he is probably financed to the hilt.  He was showing me the new Tesla last week and I said something about living the good life.  He laughed and said "I'm 65 years old, don't have any kids, work because I like it, and will not outlive my money.  So why not?" 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »
I don't know if my neighbor is mustachian or not.  In the past year, he has purchased an Alfa 4C, Tesla Model D, and probably $50k in landscaping.  New patio, stone retainer wall, pergola, and built in grill.  So I was thinking that he is probably financed to the hilt.  He was showing me the new Tesla last week and I said something about living the good life.  He laughed and said "I'm 65 years old, don't have any kids, work because I like it, and will not outlive my money.  So why not?"
"He who dies with the most toys wins."

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 01:22:49 PM »

Not Mustachian, but genuinely happy anyway? I guess that's possible. :)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »

Not Mustachian, but genuinely happy anyway? I guess that's possible. :)

Some how it might be possible to NOT want to build your own home... crazy.  Only wonder if he really likes working or just does not know anything else; if he thinks in retirement you have to watch 'the price is right' I can see why he would keep working.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 02:40:09 PM »

This guy sounds like he is truly happy. Certainly nothing wrong with enjoying the money one has earned.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 02:49:50 PM »

My neighbor does.  The only reason my gates are closed is because I have a small dog I'm keeping fenced in when he's back there.  My neighbor has no dog.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 10:01:17 AM »
I like our neighbors, they are friendly and helpful (we'll water each others' plants when one of us is away, our kids play together, occasionally loan each other tools, etc). But they seem to belong in this thread:

- 3 car garage, packed to the hilt with boxes and crap, so both their cars are parked outside. To their credit, their cars are a minivan and a small hatchback that both appear pretty old, so that may be the most mustachian thing about them. In comparison, our almost identical house next door, I have room in the garage for my wood shop, locker/mud room area, six bicycles easily accessible, a wall of camping equipment on shelves, kids sports equipment, my weight lifting set, and still have room for at least one of our cars and could fit the other one in if desired. Same 3 car garage which I admit is un-mustachian, but we utilize the space efficiently.

- They work at the same place, but always drive separately to work. They don't always work the same days, but come on 3 of 5 work days there's got to be overlap.

- Oftentimes when I am in my garage/shop working for a few hours, or working in the yard, I see one of them getting in one of their cars, driving away, then returning 15 minutes later with one grocery bag or one bag from Target/Walmart. An hour or two later they will do it again. Several times a day. I think they are running out to buy ONE THING that they desperately need right that moment.

- EVERY morning, around 5:30 or 6, one of them gets in the car, returns 15 minutes later with two starbucks cups. Every. single. morning.

- And the latest gem.... belongs on the Facebook thread but pertains to the same people so I'll post here. One of them decided that one of their dogs (they have several) was having a "bad day," so as a reward this person drove the dog to Taco Bell and bought him a burrito. Yes a Taco Bell burrito, for a dog. Then afterward this neighbor complained that the dog's flatulence was considerably more objectionable than usual. My wife read the story on Facebook and we had a good laugh.

Hope neither of them are on this forum (doubt it!)

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 10:28:25 AM »
This thread is hilarious.  My neighbors are no where near as funny as the ones here.  In for more stories...

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
My neighbours are self professed Green types.  They will talk at length about how green they are and how much they love the planet.  Then they park their asses on airplanes every five minutes to fly here to this green conference or there to that luxury vacation.   The "greenest" one of all is on an airplane at least once a month.

I walk to the grocery store which is only ten blocks away and see them all there with their cars in the parking lot.
One had her car down the road for repairs and couldn't figure out how she was going to retrieve it.  She was going around asking people to drive her several blocks down the road so she could pick her car up.   She should have asked me...I could have given her a bus schedule since the bus goes down the street every 15 minutes.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »

- And the latest gem.... belongs on the Facebook thread but pertains to the same people so I'll post here. One of them decided that one of their dogs (they have several) was having a "bad day," so as a reward this person drove the dog to Taco Bell and bought him a burrito. Yes a Taco Bell burrito, for a dog. Then afterward this neighbor complained that the dog's flatulence was considerably more objectionable than usual. My wife read the story on Facebook and we had a good laugh.

A buddy of mine buys his dog a cheeseburger when he goes to McD (which is often) becomes loves seeing his dog just destroy it in under 5 seconds. He too complains of his dog's flatulence but still continues to do things like this.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 12:37:11 PM »

My neighbor does.  The only reason my gates are closed is because I have a small dog I'm keeping fenced in when he's back there.  My neighbor has no dog.

My parents old neighbor used to.

He was a farmer. Had a huge bull with like 3-ft-long horns who would escape through the 'oops, forgot that!' open gate on a weekly basis.

Fortunately, this guy was a freakin' LEGEND - my mom had to call me in late to highschool a few times, and all she had to say was 'well, Ben got loose and is between us and the car' and the secretary was like 'oh god stay put just come in when he decides to leave'.

There are some advantages to city life, you guys. ;)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 12:52:28 PM »

He was a farmer. Had a huge bull with like 3-ft-long horns who would escape through the 'oops, forgot that!' open gate on a weekly basis.

Fortunately, this guy was a freakin' LEGEND - my mom had to call me in late to highschool a few times, and all she had to say was 'well, Ben got loose and is between us and the car' and the secretary was like 'oh god stay put just come in when he decides to leave'.

I have no animals but latching a gate is like turning the lights off when you leave or turning the water off when done, it is just what you do. :-)

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
I recently saw my neighbor driving around in a Maserati. His name includes a "von" so maybe he/his dad can afford it, but then, why is he lifing in one of the cheapest apartments in town?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »
My neighbors are fairly frugal. One of them owns a truck, an SUV, and a sports car, but the SUV and the sports car were grandparent hand-me-downs, and they don't actually have car loans (and the vehicles are pushing 10 years old). Not so sure about the other yet, but they all seem fairly Mustachian and handy for the most part. Less than 1/4 of a mile away is McMansionville. We laugh at those people.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
I like our neighbors, they are friendly and helpful (we'll water each others' plants when one of us is away, our kids play together, occasionally loan each other tools, etc). But they seem to belong in this thread:

- 3 car garage, packed to the hilt with boxes and crap, so both their cars are parked outside. To their credit, their cars are a minivan and a small hatchback that both appear pretty old, so that may be the most mustachian thing about them. In comparison, our almost identical house next door, I have room in the garage for my wood shop, locker/mud room area, six bicycles easily accessible, a wall of camping equipment on shelves, kids sports equipment, my weight lifting set, and still have room for at least one of our cars and could fit the other one in if desired. Same 3 car garage which I admit is un-mustachian, but we utilize the space efficiently.

- They work at the same place, but always drive separately to work. They don't always work the same days, but come on 3 of 5 work days there's got to be overlap.

- Oftentimes when I am in my garage/shop working for a few hours, or working in the yard, I see one of them getting in one of their cars, driving away, then returning 15 minutes later with one grocery bag or one bag from Target/Walmart. An hour or two later they will do it again. Several times a day. I think they are running out to buy ONE THING that they desperately need right that moment.

- EVERY morning, around 5:30 or 6, one of them gets in the car, returns 15 minutes later with two starbucks cups. Every. single. morning.

That whole post was an emotional roller coaster of increasing surprise and horror, but the dog...

I'd love to know what made it a bad day.

Did he forget where he buried a bone? Tip over his water bowl? Dream about bunnies but wake up before he caught them?

bassman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
Our neighbours recently sold their house and went out the next day to put down a deposit on a brand new fancy pants car (with the rest being financed of course).

They are now saying they can't afford to pay for a removal company.  :-\

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 04:36:40 AM »
I recently saw my neighbor driving around in a Maserati. His name includes a "von" so maybe he/his dad can afford it, but then, why is he lifing in one of the cheapest apartments in town?

Perhaps he's secretly mustachian and he has a Maserati because he lives in one of the cheapest apartments.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 06:11:09 AM »
Following.

Our neighbours recently sold their house and went out the next day to put down a deposit on a brand new fancy pants car (with the rest being financed of course).

I have to look up more terms with you Australians...  "Removal company" sounds like a polite name for a group of assassins, haha.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 06:49:09 AM »
Following.

I have to look up more terms with you Australians...  "Removal company" sounds like a polite name for a group of assassins, haha.

Isn't that the plot of Repo Men?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2016, 07:09:19 AM »

I have no animals but latching a gate is like turning the lights off when you leave or turning the water off when done, it is just what you do. :-)
Interesting. Never heard this view. Must all doors in your house be shut too?  I generally leave all bedroom doors open during the day when no one is in them, but I may have to rethink that! 

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2016, 09:08:44 AM »

Interesting. Never heard this view. Must all doors in your house be shut too?  I generally leave all bedroom doors open during the day when no one is in them, but I may have to rethink that!

I for one shut all of the doors upstairs and have the vents in the rooms that are frequently unused shut to be more efficient.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:55 AM »
A REAL Mustachian wouldn't have any frequently unused rooms ;)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2016, 11:47:34 AM »

Pfft. We have a guest room, used minimum one night a week, uusally 2. But we certainly don't heat it the other 5!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2016, 12:04:57 PM »

Pfft. We have a guest room, used minimum one night a week, uusally 2. But we certainly don't heat it the other 5!

We have a guest room too. 

For now.

It's being upgraded to "nursery" soon though ;)

Then we'll be at 100% utilization in our house.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »

It's quite annoying when wind picks up at midnight and the gate starts banging.  It's definitely a problem out here

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »

We have a guest room too. 

For now.

It's being upgraded to "nursery" soon though ;)

Then we'll be at 100% utilization in our house.

Hah. Well. We have a kid's room (for the toddler) and a nursery (I'm currently pregnant), and we're planning on 1-2 more after this. The guest room is in the basement, and my sister is here and helps with the kid almost every Friday night, and most Saturdays (the advantage of my sister also being my best friend...), and we have friends who come stay weekends pretty often too (yay rural living - if you wanna see people, gotta give 'em a place to stay)

The logic of the basement guest room: we built the house, and finishing vs not finishing the basement was a 6K difference on total building costs, INCLUDING adding a bathroom, 2 extra closed rooms, and a large tv/elliptical/adult hang-out space. We needed an office space (both of us work from home 3 days a week) ang it was the only place to put one. And doing this made the house go for 3 bedroom and 1.5 bathrooms to 5 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms (essentially valued at about 50K more in this area), AND gives us a place to put extra kids once they hit teenage years and get cranky about sharing rooms. So. *shrugs*

Functionally: no regrets. Having friends over and having my sister over this much increases my quality of life WAY more than what it cost to finish this space. :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
My neighbor is on his 3rd car this year. First was some sort of black sports-looking car. 2nd was a white jeep thing. newest one is an ORANGE SUV. seriously, orange. Absolutely hideous.

He's a decent neighbor overall though, just has a thing for cars I guess.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2016, 08:30:15 PM »
Cross the street neighbor chatted with me a bit today.  He was retired by Intel recently at age 58 with a year severance.  While he is not over the top in his spending, but he does have a boat, camper, 3 cars, and a motorcycle.  He has to go back to work soon as he really has no savings, and "the money goes fast."

Really my nightmare scenario to be a grandpa and have to go interviewing at 58 with no savings to speak of.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:52:36 PM by moof »

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »
Posting to follow, I dont really have any stories to share though

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:04 PM »

I'd love to know what made it a bad day.

Did he forget where he buried a bone? Tip over his water bowl? Dream about bunnies but wake up before he caught them?
HAHAHA best bit of the thread

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:48 PM »

I had a nice cactus in a nice pot at a time when they were trendy. I'd had the cactus since I was a teenager, and the pot was from my mum. It mysteriously disappeared from my front verandah. Weeks later I spotted it on their's.  Go figure.

Did you steal it back? I'd have taken that sucker back and maybe talked to the parents implying it was their kids, though really thinking it was the parents. I'd just want them to know I noticed they stole my plant.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »
Okay, I want to hear more!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2016, 11:15:43 PM »
My immediate neighbours are mostly pretty down to earth and frugal, but I've noticed quite a few houses slightly further down the street with multiple large prestige vehicles despite the house itself looking really run down. I guess they just have REALLY different priorities from ours!