Author Topic: Spendypants Customers  (Read 6706 times)

ghsebldr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • stevesgreenhouses
Spendypants Customers
« on: February 08, 2023, 03:46:20 PM »
I can't find a place for this nugget and realized that a lot of others on here are self employed and surely have some great customer interactions to add.
 Had a customer show up today after making an appointment last week to pick up 20 trees at $10 each. She's driving this really nice Ram 3/4 ton pickup with the Cat engine in it, probably 95 grand at least.
 I count out and load her 20 little trees and she peels out her $200 but has an extra 50 in her hand. She says, I know my husband is going to kill me for this since it's his lunch money for this week but payday is Friday so just go ahead and give me five more for the other 50$. You got it lady.
 Truck worth a hundred grand and hubby gets an allowance that is discretionary based on her shopping skills.
 I used to manufacture greenhouses for weed growers and have lots of other stories.

What's your favorite antimustachian customer story.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spendypants Customers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 01:46:36 PM »
Even more mind-boggling to me than the money aspect is the question of what she's planning to do with those trees. What kind of landscaping project can absorb 25% more trees without needing significant redesign?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 01:56:13 PM »
Even more mind-boggling to me than the money aspect is the question of what she's planning to do with those trees. What kind of landscaping project can absorb 25% more trees without needing significant redesign?
Wind break in a more rural area? That will consume as many poplars or conifers as you're willing to throw at it.

catorbe

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 03:20:00 PM »
I can't find a place for this nugget and realized that a lot of others on here are self employed and surely have some great customer interactions to add.
 Had a customer show up today after making an appointment last week to pick up 20 trees at $10 each. She's driving this really nice Ram 3/4 ton pickup with the Cat engine in it, probably 95 grand at least.
 I count out and load her 20 little trees and she peels out her $200 but has an extra 50 in her hand. She says, I know my husband is going to kill me for this since it's his lunch money for this week but payday is Friday so just go ahead and give me five more for the other 50$. You got it lady.
 Truck worth a hundred grand and hubby gets an allowance that is discretionary based on her shopping skills.
 I used to manufacture greenhouses for weed growers and have lots of other stories.

I'm curious what type of trees are only $10?. and how is that profitable for you?

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 05:45:43 PM »
Wind break in a more rural area? That will consume as many poplars or conifers as you're willing to throw at it.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 06:05:10 PM »
The oft-quoted expression is "penny-wise and pound-foolish".

ghsebldr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • stevesgreenhouses
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 08:53:36 PM »

I'm curious what type of trees are only $10?. and how is that profitable for you?
Leyland Cyhpress and I have about  a buck fifty invested. They are very fast growing and I sell my 2 year old plants for $35. I needed to thin the herd this spring so I'll have room for shifting up to the 5 gallon size.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 04:14:07 PM »
I had three Leyland cypress taken out of my yard last year.  At least here in the Pacific Northwest, they grow 6 - 9 feet per year.  And people will insist on placing them just a few feet from a fence.  (Sigh.)

ghsebldr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • stevesgreenhouses
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 08:15:46 PM »
I'm 40 miles north of you and have 3300 left. Come on up. I'll give you three new ones. Apparently they use them as Christmas trees in parts of the East coast.

bill1827

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 02:05:10 AM »
They can make a good hedge if you trim them 3 or more times a year (they stay at the height you trim them to.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 07:33:48 AM »
DH was at Home Depot and noticed a guy loading a dozen bags of concrete mix into the back of his EV. No tarp, no cardboard, no towel, just piling the dusty bags straight into the obviously new car. DH knows cars, but this was something he'd never seen before, so he googled it.. it was a L-u-c-i-d, the model which sells for $200k. Clearly, the dude has more money than sense. Oof.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 07:56:39 AM »
Parents who spend a fortune on their own cosmetic medical care but then refuse to invest in their children's necessary medical care.

It's happened so often that I no longer automatically give parents the benefit of the doubt that they are always just "doing their best."

I actually had to stop treating kids or else I was going to ruin my own career by fighting with parents. Or I was going to end up in jail for punching one of them.

It wasn't so bad until I worked in a high end clinic in a wealthy neighborhood. The working class and lower middle class parents at my former clinic were much less loathsome on average.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 08:39:56 AM »
It wasn't so bad until I worked in a high end clinic in a wealthy neighborhood. The working class and lower middle class parents at my former clinic were much less loathsome on average.

My MIL was in school nursing/special ed and she had a similar experience. In her case, the worst parents were the first generation to just barely made it into the upper middle class. There was no way they would let their newly-acquired status be dimmed by having a less than perfect child, so they refused to acknowledge (and hence treat) their child's disabilities.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 08:49:29 AM »

My MIL was in school nursing/special ed and she had a similar experience. In her case, the worst parents were the first generation to just barely made it into the upper middle class. There was no way they would let their newly-acquired status be dimmed by having a less than perfect child, so they refused to acknowledge (and hence treat) their child's disabilities.

In my case this is an area that has always been upper middle class, not rich, but prime "keeping up with the Joneses" suburbs kind of territory, and these folks like their money where it belongs: visible to their neighbours and peers.

Child neglect is fine as long as it's not visible. The kids still wore designer clothes and went to private schools though, and you can bet they all had braces, because not spending on those would be embarrassing. Spending on, say, physiotherapy to address their actual pain though? Nope, not happening.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 08:52:18 AM by Metalcat »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2023, 04:00:31 PM »
That kind of behaviour is definitely found across all social classes, and for different reasons.  I’ve definitely seen some of the middle and upper middle class folks neglecting their kids for those reasons above, but I’ve worked with a lot of lower income workers and it shocks me how many of them “can’t afford” basic survival stuff for their kids while they vape/smoke, bring take out coffee in and eat fast food for lunch literally everyday and they have a new tattoo or whatever their spending addiction is once a month. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2023, 04:37:09 PM »
^Having grown up in a lower income neighborhood, that behavior is rampant. I had friends who never ever went to the dentist and never had an eye exam except maybe for reading the chart on "eye exam" day at elementary school. Some of these friends have lost several teeth due to decay now that we are adults. It's sad. I try to give their parents a mental pass on spending all of their money on their cigarette/booze/coke/gambling addictions, but it's a difficult mental exercise.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2023, 06:07:50 PM »
Worked at a high-end outdoor gear store. Family came in Because they were taking their first “aspen vacation”. Teenage kids didn’t know how to ski and didn’t seem very excited overall. When deciding on $400+ ski jackets the son complained that he didn’t want to wear “the same jacket he has been skiing in all day to the restaurant” - so his dad bought him two. One for skiing, the other identical jacket for apres ski. Sadly I was not paid on commission.

That was my first glimpse on how the really rich approach leisure

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 06:46:54 PM »
Worked at a high-end outdoor gear store. Family came in Because they were taking their first “aspen vacation”. Teenage kids didn’t know how to ski and didn’t seem very excited overall. When deciding on $400+ ski jackets the son complained that he didn’t want to wear “the same jacket he has been skiing in all day to the restaurant” - so his dad bought him two. One for skiing, the other identical jacket for apres ski. Sadly I was not paid on commission.

Lol, Aspen is full of people like that. It's bonkers. I have continuing, first-hand knowledge. Don't know how many other places are like that. Aspen claims to be unique, but I expect this kind of entitled shit happens in lots of places.

OTOH, thrift shop in Aspen is pretty great ;-).

BUT, skiing (anywhere) can be a pretty sweaty proposition, especially for a teen boy, so that could be a mitigating factor. Not suggesting two $400 identical jackets was smart, because the kid's going to look like he's wearing the same sweaty jacket all day anyway. Horrors!!

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2023, 06:49:15 PM »

My sister-in-law works for a high-end travel company. She had a customer this week who forked out $42,000 per person on a trip for a family of six, and then called her again to add flights at $14,000 per person (Emirates). So, $336,000 for one vacation, and I'm sure there are plenty of incidentals not covered by that.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2023, 09:21:46 AM »
My brother is ultra-rich, and he wouldn't bat an eye at spending significantly on a vacation for his family, that's pocket change for him. Ultra-rich can afford to do those things with no impact on their finances. I find the psyche of people who aren't wealthy spending on stuff they can't afford, like 100K car when they're hand to mouth for everything else to be more interesting as those are choices that I just dont fundamentally understand.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2023, 09:50:37 AM »

Lol, Aspen is full of people like that. It's bonkers. I have continuing, first-hand knowledge. Don't know how many other places are like that. Aspen claims to be unique, but I expect this kind of entitled shit happens in lots of places.

BUT, skiing (anywhere) can be a pretty sweaty proposition, especially for a teen boy, so that could be a mitigating factor. Not suggesting two $400 identical jackets was smart, because the kid's going to look like he's wearing the same sweaty jacket all day anyway. Horrors!!

When my family goes to Disney, every time we're initially shocked by the Disneyfied pricing of everything from a plate of food to a bottle of water. By the end of the trip, we're "used to it" such that getting back into our local grocery store, everything seems amazingly cheap by comparison.

Aspen is not like that. It's entirely on another level. We were there in December and walked into a normal looking clothing store (definitely not high fashion), and my wife started looking at a normal looking knit sweater.  It was nice, but nothing special that you couldn't find in a Kohl's or a Macy's for like $50 not on sale.

The sweater was $900. We didn't buy the sweater, obviously. Many stores were like this. While my wife was working with her team one morning (it was a work trip), I walked to a local cafe and ordered a sandwich and a double espresso. Nothing crazy. It was $25.

Obviously there are cheaper ways to do Aspen, but it was honestly mind blowing how high the prices are. Maybe one day we'll be making c-suite money and could stomach buying a $900 sweater...hahaha

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 04:43:45 PM »

Haha, @Dicey beat me to it -- thrift shopping in Aspen (or Frisco, which is between Vail, Copper, and Breckenridge) is awesome! People just ... leave their barely-used high-end stuff!

Also, trying to get some enthusiasm out of teenagers leads people to do strange stuff!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2023, 09:26:48 AM »
Haha, @Dicey beat me to it -- thrift shopping in Aspen (or Frisco, which is between Vail, Copper, and Breckenridge) is awesome! People just ... leave their barely-used high-end stuff!
Oooh, we'll be driving through Aspen on our way to Vail this summer for a family reunion.  We'll totally have to check out the thrift stores there for winter coats.  Any recommendations on where to shop?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2023, 02:32:53 PM »
Oooh, we'll be driving through Aspen on our way to Vail this summer for a family reunion.  We'll totally have to check out the thrift stores there for winter coats.  Any recommendations on where to shop?
Haha, there's only one:

https://aspenthriftshop.org/

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2023, 06:48:27 PM »
DH was at Home Depot and noticed a guy loading a dozen bags of concrete mix into the back of his EV. No tarp, no cardboard, no towel, just piling the dusty bags straight into the obviously new car. DH knows cars, but this was something he'd never seen before, so he googled it.. it was a L-u-c-i-d, the model which sells for $200k. Clearly, the dude has more money than sense. Oof.
My jaw dropped open. Not because I want that rather rare car, as it's a sedan instead of a liftback/hatchback, but I'm envious of it's 500+ mile battery. I know that ONE Batteries are prototyping 750 mile batteries into Tesla's, and just received a huge partnership with BMW and Mercedes to supply the batteries in their upcoming long-range SUV EVs.
Well, great for him to use a car as the tool it is, instead of as a beauty queen pageant.

Thrallama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2023, 11:58:01 AM »
Working in the veterinary field, you meet all walks of life.

The clients who spend $7k on a purebred puppy who then needs several thousands more in surgeries to help him live a normal pet life (and may also end up on lifelong $$$ medications, given the breed predispositions to certain chronic diseases).

The older clients who complain to me about caring for multiple pets on a fixed income, and then show up next month with a new kitten or puppy (or two, you know, because they need a playmate). I get that pets are expensive, I don't set our prices, but you went and made a choice to add another animal to your family. And then complain about how the young animal(s) have too much energy, are destroying their house, pull on the leash too much so they can't walk them safely, etc.

When I was in school, I worked with clients who chartered a flight from NYC to our teaching hospital to then spend at least $20k on cancer treatment (surgery, ICU stay, and chemo) for their dog. It was a super cool cutting-edge surgery that was awesome to be a part of, but I couldn't imagine spending that much on a pet.

I could go on forever, but I won't since I intentionally let most of these kinds of stories fade from my memory (helps stave off burnout).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2023, 04:33:00 PM »

The clients who spend $7k on a purebred puppy who then needs several thousands more in surgeries to help him live a normal pet life (and may also end up on lifelong $$$ medications, given the breed predispositions to certain chronic diseases).

The older clients who complain to me about caring for multiple pets on a fixed income, and then show up next month with a new kitten or puppy (or two, you know, because they need a playmate). I get that pets are expensive, I don't set our prices, but you went and made a choice to add another animal to your family. And then complain about how the young animal(s) have too much energy, are destroying their house, pull on the leash too much so they can't walk them safely, etc.

When I was in school, I worked with clients who chartered a flight from NYC to our teaching hospital to then spend at least $20k on cancer treatment (surgery, ICU stay, and chemo) for their dog. It was a super cool cutting-edge surgery that was awesome to be a part of, but I couldn't imagine spending that much on a pet.

I could go on forever, but I won't since I intentionally let most of these kinds of stories fade from my memory (helps stave off burnout).

At least your spendy-pants clients were willing to spend the money.

There are the clients who have a puppy but don't believe in crate training or house training, won't get up in the middle of the night to take puppy out, think smacking them with a rolled up newspaper* after an accident is appropriate.  Buy the cheapest food, have to give the dog/cat huge servings and complain about all the poop.  Buy a pet with a not-super-easy-to-maintain coat and complain about all the grooming they are having to do, or the cost of a groomer.  Let the nails/claws grow way too long, then complain about snags and scratches.  Don't do puppy kindergarten and complain about puppy behaviour.

* I'm sure you know the proper use of a rolled up newspaper in house training a puppy, but for those who don't:   You see puppy had an accident.  You smack yourself with the rolled up newspaper while saying "In future keep an eye on puppy and take puppy out before puppy has an accident, stupid".

Thrallama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2023, 06:59:25 PM »

There are the clients who have a puppy but don't believe in crate training or house training, won't get up in the middle of the night to take puppy out, think smacking them with a rolled up newspaper* after an accident is appropriate.  Buy the cheapest food, have to give the dog/cat huge servings and complain about all the poop.  Buy a pet with a not-super-easy-to-maintain coat and complain about all the grooming they are having to do, or the cost of a groomer.  Let the nails/claws grow way too long, then complain about snags and scratches.  Don't do puppy kindergarten and complain about puppy behaviour.

* I'm sure you know the proper use of a rolled up newspaper in house training a puppy, but for those who don't:   You see puppy had an accident.  You smack yourself with the rolled up newspaper while saying "In future keep an eye on puppy and take puppy out before puppy has an accident, stupid".
Well, the thread did ask for stories about spendypants customers, not complainypants, lol.

The vast majority of my clients are financially limited (either don't want to or can't spend that much on their pets, and I don't pry into reasons) so the ones that stand out are the ones who actually approve all the expensive treatments.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2023, 06:30:30 AM »

Well, the thread did ask for stories about spendypants customers, not complainypants, lol.

The vast majority of my clients are financially limited (either don't want to or can't spend that much on their pets, and I don't pry into reasons) so the ones that stand out are the ones who actually approve all the expensive treatments.

You did have some good spendypants stories!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »

I moved to a very small town where my new veterinary clinic treats both small animal and large animal. But because I’ve been out of the loop in anything other than very basic cat care for decades, I appreciate their knowledge. They know a heck of a lot more than me. They Actually surprised me with diagnosing something with my older cat recently. Anyway –

I have unlimited funds to spend on Pets.  Cost is never a concern, but my concerns are dragging a pet through painfu/uncomfortable  treatments that don’t have them ending up in a better place, and also endless veterinary visits that take up my time and focus.

We are the house of brachycephalic animals. I have a bulldog and two flat faced cats. We already have a bulldog specialist that I can turn to when needed, but I’m thinking about identifying a back up veterinarian for my Persian cat who practically has no nose, and of course will be a surgical risk.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!