Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 509749 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #950 on: May 31, 2021, 02:08:32 AM »
Here's a cot thing I don't understand: cots without drawers underneath. Those drawers solved so many problems for us in one fell swoop: clothes storage, no climbable units that might fall, maximising floor space in a small room, kid can now choose his own clothes and (in theory) put them away without much assistance... We got a trundle bed with drawers for his upgrade because it's been so handy. Why would you not?!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #951 on: May 31, 2021, 02:30:04 AM »
Here's a cot thing I don't understand: cots without drawers underneath. Those drawers solved so many problems for us in one fell swoop: clothes storage, no climbable units that might fall, maximising floor space in a small room, kid can now choose his own clothes and (in theory) put them away without much assistance... We got a trundle bed with drawers for his upgrade because it's been so handy. Why would you not?!

You must be a captain

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #952 on: May 31, 2021, 03:42:37 AM »

I've never even seen a cot with drawers underneath! I think most people want a changing table in the nursery and those usually have drawers, so that's where people store the clothing? And I suppose many kids are out of their cot by the time they are old enough to get dressed by themselves. But then I'm the oldest of our family so I was moved to an adult bed when the next sibling arrived and needed the cot. Our family's heirloom cot was a handmade one with a base that could be lowered, but I think it was only used with the base at the lowest position for the youngest child when there was no next child to need it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #953 on: June 02, 2021, 09:36:34 AM »
This is a tale of unrealistic expectations. It's an unreasonable, self-absorbed behavior that is consistent with a highly entitled attitude that, while not spendypants in itself, still correlates with spendypants behavior.

There's an application called "Nextdoor" that connects people with neighbors and people in the immediate area. It's useful for finding lost pets, advertising garage sales, exchanging referrals for lawn or home care, or-- in some cases-- selling or giving away unwanted items.

A couple days ago, I saw a rant written by someone who was upset. A person had posted a free item to give away, he'd contacted that person to assert that he could pick it up the following morning, and he didn't hear back from the giver. Instead of coming to the conclusion that someone else had obviously already picked up the freebie, he decided that he wasn't receiving good enough customer service.

Now, in my city, it's extremely difficult to give things away using this form of social media, or other bulletin boards such as Craig's List. That's because there are lots of people who like freebies if it's something of value. If you offer to give something away, people typically start contacting you within the hour to "reserve" the item. They want you to hold it for them, fend off anyone else who might want it, and then either deliver it to them or wait around for them to pick it up. They almost always don't show up. Then the cycle repeats. Basically, there are lots of freebie-takers who tend to jerk the giver around. There's a reason behind this behavior: human beings don't value things that are given to them for free, and they also don't value the person who's doing the giving. The cost-to-exchange, to the receiver of the gift, is nil. So, when you respond to an offer of a freebie, the person doing the offering has probably already been jerked around by lots of other people and will often feel as though they're in the middle of a feeding frenzy. Giving the item away takes a lot of time and effort, during which time it's almost impossible to get anything else done because the phone or computer is pinging relentlessly with communications from people who want to call dibs on the item. Frequently the item just sits there and doesn't get picked up despite all the people who are "gonna" come get it.

The person most successful at snagging freebies-- often someone who makes a living as a reseller-- tends to do a few important things. First, they watch the listings and are among the first to call to ask about the item. Second, they treat the giver like a human being. They use the giver's preferred means of contact. They don't E-mail if the giver asked for a phone call, and they don't call if the giver asked for text. They introduce themselves and give their name and contact information. Third, they treat the giver as though the giver's time and attention are valuable. They don't ask the giver to "hold" the item or reserve it for them. Instead, they drop everything and head over to pick up the item immediately, or they set up a time that works for the giver. Finally, they arrive when they say they will arrive, and take away one or more of the unwanted items. Sometimes they even bring something nice such as a gift of fruit, a craft item, a food or drink coupon at a local restaurant, or some other token of their appreciation. In short they make themselves easy to give to. They also act like a member of the community who expects to cross paths with the giver again.

Successful receivers and freebie-snaggers do *not* behave as though the givers ought to be catering to them. They don't treat the givers like retail establishments that exist solely for their convenience and that have nothing better to do than to stand around waiting for a customer to show up. If a receiver wants a retail-like level of customer service, they generally do have to be a customer who's paying for the item or exchanging something of similar value. They also need to be interacting with a professional seller who's being paid for his or her time. That level of customer service just isn't reasonable to expect from a random person who's trying to offload a valuable but unwanted item. They really do just want to get rid of the damn thing (whatever it is) as quickly as possible and with as little hassle as possible.

So, I explained to the aggrieved complainer what the giver was most likely dealing with, and why he wasn't receiving as much attention and interaction as he felt was his due. I explained that his expectations were too high, that beggars can't be choosers, and that if he wanted to reserve items or come pick them up at his own convenience he'd be better off buying them from a retail shop. He still truly believes that it ought to be the giver's job to cater to him, to be nicer and more proactive toward him, and to behave as though he's a valued customer of some kind instead of the means by which an unwanted item disappears.

I don't think there's hope for the lad.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #954 on: June 02, 2021, 02:44:23 PM »
As some one who just posted a big pile of dirt for free on FB Marketplace.... I really hope you're wrong. But I know you're right. Luckily, I don't need to be around for pick up.

Anyone want dirt in NWI? PM me.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #955 on: June 02, 2021, 03:14:20 PM »
Luckily, I don't need to be around for pick up.
I found this to be one of the more effective ways of getting rid of stuff for free. "It's on the sidewalk at the corner of such-and-such street. First one here gets it. Listing will be deleted when it's gone."

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #956 on: June 02, 2021, 03:55:52 PM »
This is why I always put a price on items, and it has to be at least $20.  Then I only get real interest, and if the person shows up on time in a 1992 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a lift gate that doesn’t open and a squeaky fan belt and is kind and pleasant, I gift them the item.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #957 on: June 02, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »
We have had huge luck giving stuff away on our local Buy Nothing FB group. Way better than Craigslist, etc.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #958 on: June 02, 2021, 07:23:16 PM »
This is why I always put a price on items, and it has to be at least $20.  Then I only get real interest, and if the person shows up on time in a 1992 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a lift gate that doesn’t open and a squeaky fan belt and is kind and pleasant, I gift them the item.

Put something out on the street with a sign that says “$100” and it will be gone within minutes

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #959 on: June 03, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »
At my last house, there was a very heavy stone garden bench in the yard.  I was tired of mowing around it, so I put it on CL for free.  I was amazed at the number of people who wanted me to deliver.  One lady actually called me rude for not helping her find transportation. 

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #960 on: June 07, 2021, 08:53:55 AM »
We are trying to go give away a large wooden boat (30+ feet) that has been on land in a garden (~1 km from the sea) for several years. I made it very clear in the ad that it has been on land for a long time, and that it will take a lot of work to get it back into working order. One conversation:
Them: "Does the boat float?"
Me: "I highly doubt it, it has been on land for many years"
Them: "Can you test it?"
Me (in my head): "You want me to pay for a large tow truck to transport the boat down to the sea, to watch it probably sink, and then have to pay for it to be removed from the water again? Are you crazy?"
Me (in reality): "No, sorry."

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #961 on: June 07, 2021, 09:51:47 AM »
I left an old desk (disassembled) at the end of my driveway yesterday morning, by early afternoon it was gone.  The bolts and assembly instructions were in a ziplock taped to the desk top.  Around here there are people that drive around looking for free salvage that is otherwise left out for the trash to collect.

Does the boat have windows and equipment on it, I understand that stuff can be worth a good bit of money on its own.  The wood may be rotted and of no use but the bronze etc may be salvageable. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #962 on: June 07, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »
I left an old desk (disassembled) at the end of my driveway yesterday morning, by early afternoon it was gone.  The bolts and assembly instructions were in a ziplock taped to the desk top.  Around here there are people that drive around looking for free salvage that is otherwise left out for the trash to collect.

Does the boat have windows and equipment on it, I understand that stuff can be worth a good bit of money on its own.  The wood may be rotted and of no use but the bronze etc may be salvageable.

I do metal casting.  I would so be willing to salvage bronze off of a boat -- if there was enough of it to be worth the bother of asking a friend to tow it home for me and it was close enough...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #963 on: June 08, 2021, 04:56:21 AM »
When we flipped our last property, we tried to keep stuff out of the landfill (and out of the expensive roll-off boxes aka dumpsters). We got a lot of flakes when things were free, so we started doing the same thing. If it was big, heavy and awkward, we found asking higher(-ish) prices brought more serious buyers. We sold a bunch of pavers for cheap to someone who was really nice. When we found more, we contacted her and gave her the rest, because we know she wouldn't flake out on us. Humans are funny.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 12:31:53 PM by Dicey »

snowball

• Bristles
« Reply #964 on: June 08, 2021, 06:57:06 AM »
I tried to give away an old sewing machine on Craigslist once, naively thinking this would be easier/faster than selling it.  Ha!  After the third or fourth person flaked out on me, I deleted the ad and reposted it for $20.  Sold within the day to someone who showed up exactly when they said they would, no fuss, no muss.

I stopped posting things as free after that.  Either I take it somewhere to donate, or I sell it - even a price of $5 seems to be enough to keep most of the flakey respondents away.

If I'm moving, I've also taken the opportunity to give away things to people who show up to buy something I advertised...I fondly remember loading down a very nice recently-divorced woman's car once with a TON of free household items I would otherwise have taken to the thrift store the next day (I was about to move abroad).  It was such serendipity for both her and me!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:00:04 AM by snowball »

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #965 on: June 08, 2021, 08:53:28 AM »
We used facebook marketplace when we sold a bunch of stuff as we were downsizing from a house to a condo.

I'm not sure if it's because we can see real names (mostly) or what but we didn't get many flakes. But like others have said, when we found a proven non-flake, we offered them tons of stuff when they came by. A couple of folks even sent a down payment to prove their interest. We threw in lots of extras for them.

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #966 on: June 08, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »
Luckily, I don't need to be around for pick up.
I found this to be one of the more effective ways of getting rid of stuff for free. "It's on the sidewalk at the corner of such-and-such street. First one here gets it. Listing will be deleted when it's gone."

This is the way.  Starting the post with "CURB ALERT" tends to make people hustle for it too.  I might throw in some caveats saying no holding, and you have to load transport yourself if you want it.  Rare is the item on the curb that lasts more than an hour or two. 

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #967 on: June 08, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »

I do metal casting.  I would so be willing to salvage bronze off of a boat -- if there was enough of it to be worth the bother of asking a friend to tow it home for me and it was close enough...

The wood isn't rotten, just dried out. There are windows and equipment, but I doubt there is very much bronze. The value is probably in the motor, but I doubt it compares to the cost of the cost of transporting and dismantling the boat.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #968 on: June 08, 2021, 07:49:42 PM »
A crib that converts to a toddler bed is very handy for people having more than one child. You switch it to the toddler bed when they're too old for the crib and that way you don't have to store the crib for the next one. When the new baby needs the crib, you buy big kid a twin bed they can stay in until adulthood. Of course, if you have twins all your planned efficiencies go out the window...

Or if you're my friends who had their second within days of their first child turning 2. Originally they were going to convert the crib to a toddler bed for the first kid and buy a new crib for the second kid. They did end up using the crib for the new baby, and bought a toddler bed for the first kid... and 3 months later got her a twin bed. The toddler bed sits in the family room downstairs now for "someday when we get rid of it"

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #969 on: June 19, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »
I overheard a hilariously sad conversation the other day. The guy was complaining to his friend about his new refrigerator. It was expensive, new, all the bells-and-whistles, etc.

The problem? The "Beer Shelf" (whatever that means) is a bit too low. Horrifically, this means that he has to bend down a few inches to grab a beer, so he's considering getting a new fridge.

I think humanity has peaked and we're on the downward spiral...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #970 on: June 19, 2021, 09:28:56 AM »
I overheard a hilariously sad conversation the other day. The guy was complaining to his friend about his new refrigerator. It was expensive, new, all the bells-and-whistles, etc.

The problem? The "Beer Shelf" (whatever that means) is a bit too low. Horrifically, this means that he has to bend down a few inches to grab a beer, so he's considering getting a new fridge.

Many fridges have adjustable shelves. Mine's 10+ years old and certainly not a high-end model, has adjustable shelves.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #971 on: June 21, 2021, 08:26:12 AM »

Many fridges have adjustable shelves. Mine's 10+ years old and certainly not a high-end model, has adjustable shelves.

I don't think I've ever seen a fridge without adjustable shelves.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #972 on: June 21, 2021, 06:33:46 PM »

Well if you can’t even bend to get a beer, moving a shelf is WAY too much work.  Easier just to buy a new fridge.  /s

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #973 on: June 22, 2021, 07:25:51 AM »

Well if you can’t even bend to get a beer, moving a shelf is WAY too much work.  Easier just to buy a new fridge.  /s
Maybe it's the beer belly getting in the way...

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #974 on: June 22, 2021, 07:45:00 AM »

We recently bought a semi-fancy fridge (without the stupid touch screen though) and our shelves are not adjustable

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #975 on: June 22, 2021, 08:12:35 AM »
We're a 2+2 family. Neighbors across the street, same. Their kids are couple of years older than ours.

Noticed this morning they had 2 trash and 2 recycling bins curbside. My wife said it has been like that for months (I don't notice since I leave home at O-dark-thirty but am working from home today). Wife says neighbors had requested extra bins when their parents were living with them (they no longer do); but do 2 more adults generate 1.5/2x waste?

We struggle to fill half our trash bin during the week, and the recycling gets filled in 2-3 weeks. Most weeks my elderly single neighbor puts her trash/recycling in my bins.

I've been in the USA for 23 years and I'm still getting culture shocks.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #976 on: June 22, 2021, 09:05:12 AM »
We're a 2+2 family. Neighbors across the street, same. Their kids are couple of years older than ours.

Noticed this morning they had 2 trash and 2 recycling bins curbside. My wife said it has been like that for months (I don't notice since I leave home at O-dark-thirty but am working from home today). Wife says neighbors had requested extra bins when their parents were living with them (they no longer do); but do 2 more adults generate 1.5/2x waste?

We struggle to fill half our trash bin during the week, and the recycling gets filled in 2-3 weeks. Most weeks my elderly single neighbor puts her trash/recycling in my bins.

I notice this, too.  My whole adult life I have used the smallest municipal can allowed through having my family and raising 2 kids.  Now that I am FIRE and single I put out one 13 gallon tall kitchen bag weekly into that municipal can and that bag is usually not full unless I am turning out the cat litter with it every other week.  I only use multiple kitchen trash bags if I have raw meat packaging that will smell and needs to get out sooner.   

My current next door neighbor is a family of 3 (the kid is 9 YO, out of diapers) and they stuff a huge bin of trash and a recycle bin weekly.  I don't get it.  Pizza boxes and take out containers seem to take up a lot of it.       

I also suggest part of the major excess trash around in general could be from paper plates.  I am constantly stunned at how many FB posts show people serving their non-picnic food on paper plates. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #977 on: June 22, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »

I notice this, too.  My whole adult life I have used the smallest municipal can allowed through having my family and raising 2 kids.  Now that I am FIRE and single I put out one 13 gallon tall kitchen bag weekly into that municipal can and that bag is usually not full unless I am turning out the cat litter with it every other week.  I only use multiple kitchen trash bags if I have raw meat packaging that will smell and needs to get out sooner.   

My current next door neighbor is a family of 3 (the kid is 9 YO, out of diapers) and they stuff a huge bin of trash and a recycle bin weekly.  I don't get it.  Pizza boxes and take out containers seem to take up a lot of it.       

I also suggest part of the major excess trash around in general could be from paper plates.  I am constantly stunned at how many FB posts show people serving their non-picnic food on paper plates.

They don't want to wash dishes. Frankly, it's far easier for me to handle plates and bowls than pots and pans. The former go in the dishwasher with no problems. Plus, if you have a kid they can wash the dishes.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #978 on: June 22, 2021, 01:27:00 PM »

Why would anyone eat from a paper plate voluntarily? That's gross even at picnics. Is that common in the US? I absolutely cannot imagine anyone in my country serving a home-cooked dinner on a paper plate. Maybe if you have a BBQ party for 30 visitors and you don't have that many plates. But anyone who is not a broke student would probably rent some real plates instead of serving on paper.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #979 on: June 22, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »

Why would anyone eat from a paper plate voluntarily? That's gross even at picnics. Is that common in the US? I absolutely cannot imagine anyone in my country serving a home-cooked dinner on a paper plate. Maybe if you have a BBQ party for 30 visitors and you don't have that many plates. But anyone who is not a broke student would probably rent some real plates instead of serving on paper.

Apparently its a US thing. Renting plates is really only a thing for formal parties - think weddings, etc.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #980 on: June 22, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »

What makes it gross?  Or do just mean uncouth?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #981 on: June 22, 2021, 01:59:24 PM »

Apparently its a US thing. Renting plates is really only a thing for formal parties - think weddings, etc.

What? Next you'll tell me non-US grocery stores don't have shelves and shelves of disposable paper, plastic, and foam plates/cups! I can't believe how uncivilized the rest of the world is having to waste their precious time washing dishes.

/s

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #982 on: June 22, 2021, 02:08:59 PM »

It always amazes me when I read about people being so lazy. If you hate doing dishes you buy a dishwasher. As you can buy real plates from Ikea for 50 cents, I would say it is more common to buy plates for bigger barbecues or home parties at least here if you have the space to store it. Otherwise, you can easily rent it.

I had a garbage discussion with my colleague a while ago when she visited me and asked where I threw my trash. I showed my recycling bins under the sink and told that I don’t basically have trash for incirneration (normal trash). I might have a bread bag of trash every second month so I put the trash in the bathroom trash can as most of the trash that can’t be recycled comes from there. I think she still left confused.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #983 on: June 22, 2021, 04:07:36 PM »
What? Next you'll tell me non-US grocery stores don't have shelves and shelves of disposable paper, plastic, and foam plates/cups! I can't believe how uncivilized the rest of the world is having to waste their precious time washing dishes.

Supermarkets here in Australia have stopped selling all single-use plastic items (plates, cutlery etc). We haven't been able to buy foam anything in years. You can still get recyclable paper plates.

That sounds like a reasonable compromise. We usually take some paper plates when camping. They make quick meals (e.g., sandwiches) very simple, and once used for a meal, the plates can be saved to start the campfire in the evening.

I don't feel guilty about that at all. At home, we handwash all of our dishes because we don't have a dishwasher. I think we only used paper plates when our kitchen was being remodeled and we didn't have a sink for a few days. We have enough ceramic plates for 8 people and haven't hosted anything larger than that at our home.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #984 on: June 22, 2021, 06:08:23 PM »
Lol, we don't use paper plates, even in the RV. Pre-pandemic, I regularly hosted events for over 100 people, and I own enough plates, glasses and napkins that I never use disposables. Almost all of it came from thrift stores, CL, etc. I store the plates in a couple of 2 gallon paint buckets, the glasses in slotted boxes, and the napkins in a basket. It doesn't take up much room at all. I'll be glad when I can use them again.

Recently, we bought a Costco Pizza and asked for cheese and peppers. The dude scooped up a handful of each, then plopped them on a handful of paper plates. Uh, what am I supposed to do with these? "I can't take then back" he said, so I reluctantly took them home and stashed them in the RV. Ugh.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #985 on: June 22, 2021, 08:00:49 PM »
Somewhere in her life, our roommate decided that the thing to do when you move is to start forwarding all of your mail to a post office box a couple of months before the actual move.  I assume she then changes her address a second time after she moves, since she has been getting mail in our shared box. These are for in town moves and in this case, she could easily ask us if anything has come for her over the next several months before we move out.

Now, even at home, she only collects the mail when she is expecting something, so there probably aren't really extra trips, but who pays for a post office box in order to change their address extra times?!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: June 22, 2021, 09:41:15 PM »
I got a PO Box and have lived in five separate places without having to change my mailing address. And I don’t have to worry about picking up my mail every day, about stopping it if we go on vacation, or about things getting stolen out of it. It costs money but I figure it’s cheap insurance. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #987 on: June 22, 2021, 10:31:15 PM »
I got a PO Box and have lived in five separate places without having to change my mailing address. And I don’t have to worry about picking up my mail every day, about stopping it if we go on vacation, or about things getting stolen out of it. It costs money but I figure it’s cheap insurance.

Oh, there are reasons to have one, but she seems to just use it as an extra step in the moving process, rather than a long term thing. Perhaps I am wrong and she has also had one the entire time, but also has a lot of mail sent to the house....

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #988 on: June 22, 2021, 11:40:12 PM »
Oh, there are reasons to have one, but she seems to just use it as an extra step in the moving process, rather than a long term thing. Perhaps I am wrong and she has also had one the entire time, but also has a lot of mail sent to the house....

Yeah, that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #989 on: June 23, 2021, 02:34:59 AM »

What makes it gross?  Or do just mean uncouth?

Well, it ruins the taste of the food. And it's almost impossible to use regular cutlery on them because you will destroy your plate so you will have to use a flimsy plastic knife and fork, until you eventually give up and finish the meal with your hands. Paper forks are even worse - we were given paper forks at a work event a while back in it's just disgusting to have cardboard in your mouth while eating. They had metal cutlery but it had something to do with Covid safety? I took a fork out of my drawer in my work bag just in case they decide to do that again.

When I was a kid my mum used to rent plates for parties, then she found a whole stack of plates for next to nothing (not sure if new or thrift store but cheaper than renting) and those were our party plates from then on. They were stored in the garage and many people borrowed them from us.

I'm sure you can get single use plates and cups at my local grocery store but not a whole isle. Maybe on or two different choices. I don't really know anyone that uses them for food. I've heard people use disposable plates for crafting (for paint).

For camping, kids parties, picnics etc almost everyone has some plastic cups and plates (the non-disposable type). Almost all families at the campground would use the same brightly coloured IKEA set when I was a kid.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #990 on: June 23, 2021, 03:59:23 AM »
Paper plates, plastic cups, paper napkins and plastic forks are for outdoor parties and children's birthday parties. I have been to the odd indoor grown up party that used them, but people mostly cobble together whatever non-disposable stuff they can find even if you end up eating trifle off a full size dinner plate.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #991 on: June 23, 2021, 04:54:11 AM »

Yeah, that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

She rarely does, but she really pissed me off now. She couldn't possibly move her stuff to allow us to fix a window until she moves out in August. We got her to agree that if we emptied our stuff from the dining room, she would move her stuff into there while we were on vacation. She watched us move our stuff, then sent her 30 days notice when we got in the plane. We got off the red eye to find that she is moving out the day after we get back, rather than August, as she had originally told us. I am LIVID that she wasted our time like that; it was a lot of extra stress on our last days before vacation and my back hurts from all the extra work.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #992 on: June 23, 2021, 07:06:57 AM »
Re: paper plates-  one FB group I belong to has a food-centric theme and people get really harsh when challenged about the paper plates they show their food on, so much that it gets to be a lighting rod topic.  Most of the time you can hear the collective eye roll when a newbie posts a meal they have spent a long time preparing, photographing, and posting to brag on and share recipes for, presented on a paper plate. 

This farm raised ribeye with garlic butter pan sauce.... brought to you by Dixie Brand shitty paper plates!   Be sure to use 2 hands to bring it to the table.  Blech.  You can almost taste the waxy paper flavors from here.     

They are busy, you see.  They work.  They have kids.  They hate doing dishes.  They have reasons.  One clapped back and said if there was an option to cook in paper POTS and PANS they would do that too, thank you very much.  They are righteous.  How dare anyone judge.  And their trash goes out full weekly. 

I never engage with those posts.   

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #993 on: June 23, 2021, 07:26:10 AM »
They are busy, you see.  They work.  They have kids.  They hate doing dishes.  They have reasons.  ...
And yet they have time to post photos of their carefully-prepared food, and argue with people in the comments :D

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #994 on: June 23, 2021, 08:20:20 AM »
Paper plates are for meals you’re going to eat with your hands anyway, so no need to use cutlery on them. Sandwiches, dogs and burgers, a slice of pizza, that sort of thing. We don’t use them regularly but there are absolutely instances where they come in handy, like the birthday party we’re having this weekend for my daughter and ~12 of her friends. They can eat a slice of pizza and a cupcake off a paper plate. LOL at the thought of buying (and storing and washing etc) real plates so these dainty little 9y/os don’t have to suffer the indignity of eating off of a (Harry Potter themed) paper plate.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #995 on: June 23, 2021, 09:20:49 AM »
Paper plates are for meals you’re going to eat with your hands anyway, so no need to use cutlery on them. Sandwiches, dogs and burgers, a slice of pizza, that sort of thing. We don’t use them regularly but there are absolutely instances where they come in handy, like the birthday party we’re having this weekend for my daughter and ~12 of her friends. They can eat a slice of pizza and a cupcake off a paper plate. LOL at the thought of buying (and storing and washing etc) real plates so these dainty little 9y/os don’t have to suffer the indignity of eating off of a (Harry Potter themed) paper plate.

Yep, I use them when our large group of ladies comes for bunco once a year at my house.  I don't have 12 plates.  That is the kind of occasion that warrants them, not the daily use that is posted on FB (and yes, they do have ample time to post and argue but not load the dishwasher, as @zolotiyeruki notes).  Especially for kids, they know it is special when they get themed paper plates bought just for them.  I am on board with that.     

Anyone else wash Solo cups?  Those things are expensive!  As long as they still look shiny-brand-new after I hand wash and dry them, I will re-use them next year.       

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #996 on: June 23, 2021, 09:47:07 AM »
You hand wash solo cups?  Uhhh…no. Amazon tells me at a glance I can get 240 for $25 (not solo brand but whatever).  No way I’m hand washing a $0.10 cup.  I don’t think we ever use them though unless we get a keg of beer (once every 10 years).  Parties we usually have beer in a can/bottle, wine from a glass, and juice boxes for the kids. If you want water help yourself to a glass in the cabinet by the fridge.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #997 on: June 23, 2021, 09:52:08 AM »

I guess I kind of just assumed that everyone has a stack of hard plastic cups and plates anyway, so I didn't understand why people don't use those instead? Especially people with one or more children, who organize birthday parties, have kids over for playdates, have friends with kids, go camping or to the beach or to theme parks with kids.... I don't even have kids and I have a couple of plastic cups and plates for when my friends bring their kids. But if you don't, using paper plates once a year is not an issue. I think kids probably prefer them over a normal plate. I guess a fair minority of people actually have a stack of real plates for parties somewhere, or have a friend of relative they could borrow them from, but I wouldn't do that for a kids party either. Personally we live in a small home so we never have large groups over anyway. I have 8 or 10 plates and that's enough.

There is extremely little food that I would personally want to eat without cutlery, maybe that's why paper plates are an issue for me. Maybe soft-bread sandwiches or a cupcake, but certainly not a slice of pie, pizza or a burger. If 9 year old Imma was a guest at your daughter's birthday party, she would have been too polite to ask for cutlery and would have finished that pizza, but you would have been able to see from the look on her face that she would be horrified!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #998 on: June 23, 2021, 09:54:44 AM »
I legitimately don’t know how you’d go about eating a hot dog (on a bun) with cutlery, or why you’d want to.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #999 on: June 23, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
You hand wash solo cups?  Uhhh…no. Amazon tells me at a glance I can get 240 for $25 (not solo brand but whatever).  No way I’m hand washing a $0.10 cup.  I don’t think we ever use them though unless we get a keg of beer (once every 10 years).  Parties we usually have beer in a can/bottle, wine from a glass, and juice boxes for the kids. If you want water help yourself to a glass in the cabinet by the fridge.

Not everything is about money. Personally, I will never buy paper plates, solo cups, etc because I find them wasteful. It has nothing to do with money or my children being delicate, but is a result of the values I hold and want to pass on. Solo cups and paper plates could be free and I would still refuse to use them.